As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blackest Night: Sinestro will save us all!

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Graphic Violence
Blackest Night

Welcome to thread #2 of DC's 2009 Mega Event!

You can find the old thread here:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=82555

BN_Cover1.jpg

What is the Blackest Night?
It is a DCU event in which the Black Lantern Corps is created. With the power of the Black Rings many of the dead from the DC Universe are being raised as Flesh hungry zombies.

What's it about?
The Blackest Night is a a part of the "War of the Light" which is an ongoing saga in the Green Lantern books. The story of Blackest Night is a universe spanning event and encompasses much more of the DCU than just the Green Lantern books. There is stuff here for fans of Batman, Superman, the Titans, the Justice League, Blue Beetle, and many other characters.

Where can I learn more?
There are several good resources available for this event. I suggest checking out the following to get you started:
The Official DC Blackest Night Page
IGN's Mini Blackest Night Site

Official Reading Checklist Part 1
BN_ChecklistPartSmall.jpg

Official Reading Checklist Part 2
Official Checklist PDF Document (link)
November 2009
[ ] Blackest Night #5 -- Green Promotional Ring
[ ] Green Lantern #48
[ ] Green Lantern Corps #42
[ ] Justice League of America #39 -- Red Promotional Ring
[ ] Superman / Batman #66
[ ] Doom Patrol #4 -- Yellow Promo Ring
[ ] Booster Gold #26 -- Orange Promotional Ring
[ ] REBELS #10 -- Indigo Promotional Ring
[ ] Teen Titans #77
[ ] Adventure Comics #4 -- Blue Promotional Ring
[ ] Outsiders #24 -- Star Sapphire Promotional Ring

December 2009
[ ] Blackest Night #6
[ ] Green Lantern #49
[ ] Green Lantern Corps #43
[ ] Blackest Night: Flash #1 of 3
[ ] Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #1 of 3
[ ] Blackest Night: JSA #1 of 3
[ ] Justice League of America #40
[ ] Superman / Batman #67
[ ] Doom Patrol #5
[ ] Booster Gold #27
[ ] REBELS #11
[ ] Teen Titans #78
[ ] Adventure Comics #5
[ ] Outsiders #25

Official Reading Checklist Part 3
Checklist Image
SPOILER WARNING: Contains an Image which spoils the end of BN#6
bewaretheirpowert.jpg

January 2010

[ ] Green Lantern #50
[ ] Green Lantern Corps #44
[ ] Blackest Night: Flash #2 of 3
[ ] Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #2 of 3
[ ] Blackest Night: JSA # 2 of 3
[ ] The Atom and Hawkman #46 **
[ ] The Phantom Stranger #42 **
[ ] Starman #81 **
[ ] Power of Shazam #48 **
[ ] The Question #37 **
[ ] Catwoman # 83 **
[ ] Weird Western Tales #71 **
[ ] Suicide Squad #67 **
[ ] Secret Six #17

February 2010

[ ] Blackest Night #7
[ ] Green Lantern #51
[ ] Green Lantern Corps #45
[ ] Blackest Night: Flash #3 of 3
[ ] Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #3 of 3
[ ] Blackest Night: JSA #3 of 3
[ ] Black Lantern Green Arrow #30
[ ] Adventure Comics #7
[ ] Secret Six #18

March 2010

[ ] Blackest Night #8
[ ] Green Lantern #52
[ ] Green Lantern Corps #46

**NOTE: During the month of January, DC is running a series of Blackest Night one-shots on older series which have either been concluded or discontinued. These are not ongoing series and these issues are a special one-time-only crossover with special guest writers and artists on each. Also worth noting, the month of January does not have a core Blackest Night book. The story resumes in February.

Black Lanterns - SPOILERS
-- William Hand
-- The Anti-Monitor
-- J'onn J'onzz the Martian Manhunter
-- Arthur Curry, Aquaman
-- Kal-L, Superman of Earth-2
-- Ronnie Raymond, Firestorm
-- Katma Tui
-- Xanshi, a planet
-- Ralph and Sue Dibny
-- Hawkman and Hawkgirl
-- Crispin Allen, the Spectre
-- Ted Kord, the Blue Beetle
-- Solomon Grundy, Born on a Monday
-- Pariah
-- Aqualad
-- Jade
-- Tomar Re
-- Laira
-- Lois Lane of Earth-2
-- Zor El, Supergirl's father
-- Jack and Janet Drake, Tim Drake's parents
-- John and Mary Grayson, Dick Grayson's parents
-- Roland Desmond
-- Arnold Wesker
-- Anatoli Knyazev
-- Margaret Pye
-- Edmund Dorrance
-- Deacon Joseph Blackfire
-- Tom and Tad Trigger
-- Arnold Etchinson
-- Dee Tyler
-- Ryan Kendall
-- Roy Lincoln
-- Al Pratt
-- Jenny-Lynn
-- Roscoe Dillon
-- Digger Harkness
-- Bzzd
-- Jack T. Chance
-- Hawk
-- Terra
-- Lilith

Who is behind Blackest Night?
This guy:
Nekron

BN_NekronCover.jpg

Who are the different lantern corps?
Green Lantern Corps - Willpower
Sinestro Corps - Fear
Red Lanterns - Rage
Blue Lantern Corps - Hope
Star Sapphires - Love
Agent Orange - Greed
Indigo Tribe - Compassion
Black Lanterns - Death

And here's a little something for the Blue Beetle fans out there:
BN_TedKord.jpg

Lucascraft on

• DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    You forgot about the white lanterns. It certainly looks like theres going to be one.

DarkWarrior on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I didn't get Titans #1. If someone wouldn't mind posting the Black Lanterns from that issue I'll add it to my list. Thanks.

Lucascraft on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I didn't get Titans #1. If someone wouldn't mind posting the Black Lanterns from that issue I'll add it to my list. Thanks.
    Hawk of Hawk and Dove, and someone called Lilith

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited August 2009
    And
    Terra

DarkWarrior on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm just reposting this from the dead page since it's worth mentioning:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2009/08/...ture-comics-4/

Apparently Adventure Comics #4 is being said to be as important to Blackest Night as Superman Beyond was to Final Crisis, that AC #4 is pretty much BN #5.5.

You would hope DC would learn from Final Crisis to just put the important stuff in Blackest Night, and leave it at that.

TexiKen on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i'm going to be buying it anyway so that i can get the ring that goes with it, so i don't much care

Rans on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rans are you going to make Guy your new avatar?

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    probably Kyle!

Rans on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A thought that occurred to me in regards to the main baddie behind Blackest Night:
    People don't seem to be big fans of Nekron's revised appearance compared to his earlier, creepier incarnations. I think it might be possible that the new Nekron we've seen is him possessing the body of Black Hand, which is how he'll 'Rise' and appear in our universe. If so, it might be possible that he'll appear in his original form when he's exorcised or beaten out of Black Hand's body, or something. It'd be an interesting climactic moment for the heroes who end up fighting him.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So i just read the Tales of the Green Lantern mini, where whathisface first appears and lemme tell you, 80s comics has some good ideas, but christ the dialog is excruciating to read.
    Also he did look expotentially creepier in that form.

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Which was creepier - Nekron's original appearance, or Hal calling Arisia 'little sister'? Note - Hal goes on to have a relationship with Arisia.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to have to go with the part where Hal goes:"Once my energy field fails, my butt belongs to Nekron!"

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BN: Titans question:

Were the Hawk and Dove there the same ones that were in the Titans East Judd Winnick issue? He wrote them with British accents, plus I thought they died.

JoeUser on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They were the same characters. Everyone but Powerboy and Little Barda survived Titans East, though they were all in comas for an indeterminate time afterward. Given Hawk, Dove, and Anima have resurfaced since Titans East, it's probably safe to assume Lagoon Boy and Son of Vulcan are active now as well.

And only Hawk/Holly Granger should have a British accent, as she was raised outside the States, while her sister Dawn wasn't.

Munch on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Munch!

JoeUser on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    we don't really have a generic green lantern thread so posting this here:

Just finished Vol 2 of Sinestro Corps war, what a good read. I'm planning to read Secret Origin and then Rage of the Red Lanterns but unfortunately they are both HC only :( Then Blackest Night after that!

edit - wait what the hell is this Agent Orange trade?!?

ok somebody quickly educate me, what trades do I need to read after Sinestro 2 to get caught up with Blackest Night

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited August 2009
    There's a generic Green Lantern thread. It's just fallen off the main page. Do an advanced search by thread title only with "Green Lantern" in your search and you'll find it.

Edit: To answer your question, I would recommend reading the following:

-- GL: Secret Origin
    -- GL: Rage of the Red Lanterns
    -- GLC: Sins of the Star Sapphires

These are not out yet, but the final two important trades leading up to BN are "Agent Orange" and "Emerald Eclipse." Both of those will be out soon I think.

Lucascraft on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    well no shit, for some reason last month when I was looking for it I couldn't find it, thanks for the heads up, also I hadn't heard of the Star Sapphires one so I'll keep a look out on release dates. I usually wait for trades anyways so no biggie really.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Bob SlidelBob Slidel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alright, so I think I get it
    The white light is the light of peace. Black is the absence of life and therefore the absence of emotion. White is life without emotion.

BTW, why was the other BN thread locked?

Bob Slidel on
    mario.gif
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If count(page) > 99
    Lock(thread) = 1

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    There's a generic Green Lantern thread. It's just fallen off the main page. Do an advanced search by thread title only with "Green Lantern" in your search and you'll find it.

Edit: To answer your question, I would recommend reading the following:

-- GL: Secret Origin
    -- GL: Rage of the Red Lanterns
    -- GLC: Sins of the Star Sapphires

These are not out yet, but the final two important trades leading up to BN are "Agent Orange" and "Emerald Eclipse." Both of those will be out soon I think.

You've missed GLC: Ring Quest.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bob Slidel wrote: »
    The white light is the light of peace. Black is the absence of life and therefore the absence of emotion. White is life without emotion.

There's no such thing, and I believe Blackest Night will demonstrate that.
    White is just a supreme state of emotional balance, not a lack thereof. Denying and destroying emotion is what the Black Lanterns do. Learning to live with them all is the idea.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Bob SlidelBob Slidel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think you're right.

Bob Slidel on
    mario.gif
  • MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, I'm at my local watering hole (the Tilted Kilt), and my bartender asks me why I'm not doodling on my coaster, like I always do.

"Oh, no reason, just can't think of anything to draw that I haven't already drawn a hundred times on my coasters."

She smiles, hands me a bunch of coasters, and tells me to draw "those symbols you sometimes put on them". See, evidently they have a wall in the back of the place where they post people's drawn-on coasters, and people kept talking about mine*.

Well, I didn't take pictures of each one, but here's one of eight I did:

blackestkilt.jpg

I wish I had taken pictures of the others, since they had markers of the appropriate colors and they turned out fine.

* To the point where waitresses I don't even know come up to me as I'm writing my initials on my coaster and say "Hey! you're that guy!

MisterBibs on

kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Bob Slidel wrote: »

There's no such thing, and I believe Blackest Night will demonstrate that.
    White is just a supreme state of emotional balance, not a lack thereof. Denying and destroying emotion is what the Black Lanterns do. Learning to live with them all is the idea.

So with what we've seen so far if anyone's going to hit that emotional balance it's going to be
    Superman

Or maybe a monk.

Furu on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We've already seen at least one person with that state of emotion.

mattharvest on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In the Superman tie-in, Superman had every emotion at once except Greed when confronted by Kal-L.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't look at the black Hand Symbol without wondering why a triangle is flipping me off.

Fencingsax on
    edited August 2009
    Actually Superman was lacking compassion too. He only had 5 of 7 emotions in that panel. However, I am almost inclined to believe that compassion was an error of omission, because Supes is a pretty compassionate dude.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    depends how johns is defining compassion, i guess

the little we've seen of the indigo tribe suggests something a little different is going on

Rans on
    edited August 2009
    In the Superman tie-in, Superman had every emotion at once except Greed when confronted by Kal-L.

He didn't have the white emotion.

DarkWarrior on
  • LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Supes is actually Jesus, to be revealed in Blackest Night #3.

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
    edited August 2009

I'd actually meant that comment for Furu, who thought that Superman would be the most likely to have the White emotion.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009

I'd actually meant that comment for Furu, who thought that Superman would be the most likely to have the White emotion.

I never really thought of SUperman at peace, he cant be, he cant step back and let things all collapse around him, he cares too much, hes too emotional to be at peace. Its weird because they've only shown the doves so far to possess the emotion.

DarkWarrior on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I never really thought of SUperman at peace, he cant be, he cant step back and let things all collapse around him, he cares too much, hes too emotional to be at peace. Its weird because they've only shown the doves so far to possess the emotion.

Logically speaking, there is no reason why a state of peace and emotional balance should require inaction and passivity as it so often does with the Doves. It's possible DC could go in that direction, but I doubt it.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited August 2009
    To me, peace would mean total acceptance of everything, including death and suffering, not inaction. Superman would be distraught if he failed to rescue someone, but I guess someone who was at peace wouldn't?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    To me, peace would mean total acceptance of everything, including death and suffering, not inaction. Superman would be distraught if he failed to rescue someone, but I guess someone who was at peace wouldn't?

Superman has a lot of internal conflict going on, theres no way he could be at peace, I dont think he ever could. Even in the elseworlds where he retires to farm he probably worries about what he isn't helping to save.

DarkWarrior on
    edited August 2009
    What are Hawk & Dove's powers anyway? Wiki wasn't clear.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    Arguing and dying apparently.

DarkWarrior on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What are Hawk & Dove's powers anyway? Wiki wasn't clear.

They have the basic superhero package of increased strength, durability, speed, agility, and flight.

Munch on