As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 8-26-09: Too Close to Home

• Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Look when the hero is saved by a primal universal entity and motherfucking ODIN gives his blessing it's pretty much Deus Ex Machina in the most literal sense.

GOD YOU GUYS HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOUR.

Synthetic Orange on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    so daken seems like he may be written as an interesting character. Unfortunately the fact that he looks like he should be at a Black Flag concert will probably keep me from ever caring.

Daken is a strange one, there's absolutely no way he should work, yet they managed to take "Wolverine had a son who's evil and he's got tattoos, a mohawk, pheromone control and one of his claws is in his wrist" and turn him into a genuinely entertaining bastard whom you want to read about through the power of his Machiavellian dickheadery.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    He did, but the way he died was really stupid.
    Setting a nuke off above a city? Yeah, that's just going to double the effect of the explosion, not save the city. Heroes made the same mistake a while ago

But killing him off, and giving Ravager her own backup feature to go stink up, means that they are trying to make the Teen Titans have an interesting roster. On paper at least.

It wouldn't double the effect of the explosion. You'd only have to worry about the EMP as opposed to the destruction of the actual explosion. still bad, but certainly not double the effect.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    He didn't detonate it in space?

Robos A Go Go on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    An airburst increases the total affected area. Both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were airbursts. So, maybe less is vaporized instantly, but depending on the height of the bomb when it goes off more could be lit on fire or given severe radiation sickness.

Edit: Of course, if you're in goddamn space, that's a different matter.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited August 2009
    yeah i was thinking in upper atmosphere/space above a city,

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Well, if that's the case, then I was wrong about the effect of the solution. Just from glancing through the comic to see who died, it seemed like he was only a short distance above the city. If was actually above the atmosphere, that makes more sense.

Hensler on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    143999 wrote: »
    so daken seems like he may be written as an interesting character. Unfortunately the fact that he looks like he should be at a Black Flag concert will probably keep me from ever caring.

Who's going to tell him to get a haircut? His dad?

"I learned it from watching YOU, okay?!"

desc on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Well like I said, his Dark Reign story is interesting but he is still almost as stupid as Freak in conception and design. I won't even go into a super regenerator being able to get a tatoo.

DarkWarrior on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But Blade has tats!

Crimsondude on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    To be fair, the character that died off sucked.
    He was kind of fun back in the old Blue Devil series.

But then Geoff Johns turned him into a whiny, self-pitying douche, as he did with every other cast member in the Titans, making him substantially less interesting.

Still, I'd have liked to see him go back to using a bunch of tech gizmos following the loss of his demonic powers. That could have been interesting for a while.

Munch on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Munch Munch Munch. You're so silly.

The most interesting thing is always having a minor character die.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited August 2009
    Dang, now I gotta amend my entry for TLB's project to have the protagonist's wife, dog, and parakeet die.

Also, concerning Blackest Night: Titans..
    It absolutely bewilders me as to why DC would kill off the new Hawk, after only recently re-establishing the Hawk/Dove sibling dynamic.

Munch on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Dang, now I gotta amend my entry for TLB's project to have the protagonist's wife, dog, and parakeet die.

It absolutely bewilders me as to why DC would kill off the new Hawk, after only recently re-establishing the Hawk/Dove sibling dynamic.

Because its
    SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCKING!!

Its a cheap way of establishing cred for the villains.

DarkWarrior on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Detonating a nuke in space (i.e. a vaccuum) would drastically reduce its effect, since among other things you have no heat wave, no shock wave, etc.

mattharvest on
    edited August 2009
    Yes that is what i'm saying.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

Maybe because Hank is coming back for Blackest Night?

Although I think having new Hawk and old Hawk facing off would be kinda rad

Me Too! on
    edited August 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

uh...didn't old hawk kill new hawk?

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It really didn't go that well at all. Although I forget, is Holly sans heart, or was it cliffhanger potentially fatal injury, but maybe something amazing will happen at the start of the next issue?

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited August 2009
    It really didn't go that well at all. Although I forget, is Holly sans heart, or was it cliffhanger potentially fatal injury, but maybe something amazing will happen at the start of the next issue?
    Hank's hand was quite clearly in her chest, though I suppose they could always play it off as non-fatal next issue. But I think the next issue blurb mentioned something about Black Lantern Hawks or something to that effect.

Munch on
    edited August 2009

uh...didn't old hawk kill new hawk?

I didn't even know it had happened, I'm not reading the tie-ins besides Tales and Flash

Also my MotW is my shop is having a fifty percent off sale and I think I'm going to grab some more Hellblazer

Including numero uno

Me Too! on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    50% off what Wiggan?

You should get all the Utopia issues, because the next final issue oneshot is basically a 36 page fight scene

Gon' be tight

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    50% off what Wiggan?

You should get all the Utopia issues, because the next final issue oneshot is basically a 36 page fight scene

Gon' be tight

Back issues and I dropped X-Men when I started cutting back

So gonna get some Hellblazer and maybe some Criminal

Me Too! on
    edited August 2009
    Does Beast still have his pheromone mind control powers, or did he lose those when he turned into a cat? Because if he does, he needs to have a pheromone fight with Daken. It'd be even better than a break dance fight.

Hensler on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait. When did he have this power?

Crimsondude on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't remember it either. Because if he had those powers why was he staying around Trish Tilby, lieutenant bitch of the HMS Beyotch?

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think it's one of those more obscure abilities, like Gambit's hypnotism and Namor's ability to shoot electricity like an electric eel.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hahahahahaha! Good one, Robos. Good one.

you're not joking, are you?

TexiKen on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Even Toad used his lungs to expel gusts of superstrong wind like once.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited August 2009
    Beast's pheromone powers were at least around when he was on the Defenders, and mentioned again when Stacy X first appeared.

Hensler on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gambit's hypnotism

...what?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    He also possesses a hypnotic charm that allows him to exert a subtle influence over sentient beings, leading them to believe what he says and agree with his suggestions. This charm is so powerful if given a chance, Gambit could charm the Shadow King.[4] However, the charm does not work on those who know about it.

Goddamnit!

TeaSpoon on
    edited August 2009
    Gambit has had a ton of powers people forget about. He gave himself a healing factor and traveled through time before, too.

Hensler on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wikipedia wrote:
    While blinded for a period of time, Gambit had ability to foresee future events using his playing cards through tarot reading.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

TeaSpoon on
    edited August 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Wikipedia wrote:
    While blinded for a period of time, Gambit had ability to foresee future events using his playing cards through tarot reading.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

I don't remember that one. I remember when he was blind and could see objects through their potential energy.

Hensler on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think I love Gambit even more now. Fuck character growth, just keep giving him new powers to spice up the story.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They aren't new powers, he just never mentioned or used them before just now.

<3 Gambit

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Gambit is the lost Summers brother, he needs to have all sorts of cool powers after he's been a mystery for so long.

Fuck Vulcan.

Hensler on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gambit is like silver age Superman, he has a power for every occasion, soon he'll be able to use kinetic-energy weaving or something.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Gambit is like silver age Superman, he has a power for every occasion, soon he'll be able to use kinetic-energy weaving or something.

Am I a bad person for wanting to see a single panel of Gambit casually knitting a sweater from kinetic-energy? I really want to know.

Caveman Paws on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »

Am I a bad person for wanting to see a single panel of Gambit casually knitting a sweater from kinetic-energy? I really want to know.
    That would be the best thing. I'd buy three copies.

Wildcat on