As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Intel contests for PAX

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Okay, I haven't bought myself an Intel chip since an ancient Pentium III, but I applaud you guys for doing something cool like this and I'll definitely try my hardest to win.

I'm looking to build a newer gaming rig to replace my current one running an Athlon 64 X2 4600+ and a sparkly Core i7 would be an awesome place to start.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • OregonSlackerOregonSlacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I love Jules Comments about Intel, and as a PDX lan attendee I can tell you their support & sponsorship for gamers is Awesome,

They notobly gave us insider information, but treated us with the respect you see corporate executives get...Not to mention I loved getting a look at their new board layouts, even if they couldn't power them on because of embargo/trade rules...

And without a doubt , probably some of the best people you will meet at PAX..

Looking forward to the fun, and hopefully a prize or 2!! (and hopefully someone will sell me their Intel lanfest BYOC ticket, so I can play some BF2 lol)

OregonSlacker on
  • Jules@Party934.comJules@Party934.com Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I love Jules Comments about Intel, and as a PDX lan attendee I can tell you their support & sponsorship for gamers is Awesome,

They notobly gave us insider information, but treated us with the respect you see corporate executives get...Not to mention I loved getting a look at their new board layouts, even if they couldn't power them on because of embargo/trade rules...

And without a doubt , probably some of the best people you will meet at PAX..

Looking forward to the fun, and hopefully a prize or 2!! (and hopefully someone will sell me their Intel lanfest BYOC ticket, so I can play some BF2 lol)

:D Thanks!

I wrote an article about it. Wordier than what is normal for that part of my site, but very much worth making note of.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Might be getting a little off topic, but the pictures of what I can only guess is an Intel employee (since he is in a ton of photots) with the blood elf on page 2 of your flikr link was fantastic.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Divebommah wrote: »
    If Intel’s Prize Patrol spots the participant wearing or displaying the button during the show, they will be given a game card that can be redeemed at the Intel booth for a prize.

With the buttoneers running about, this could turn into a game of where's waldo.

You rang?

And yes, Waldo is even going to be wearing this button while buttoneering.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just noticed this:
    xegZU.jpg

I like to think that is a Blizzard employee rubbing his hands in glee that all his plans are coming to fruition. Mwahahaha!

Divebommah on
    edited August 2009
    Update: All out of shirts! Thanks for the interest!

Hay guys!

I just snagged 10 of the shirts we're going to give away at PAX. If you want one, please drop me a note here telling me what you think of them (go ahead and be honest, but we're still going to give away thousands of them :P) with your thoughts on the shirts and then DM me your mailing information. First come, first served! Oh, and tell me which of the three you'd like. Can't guarantee you'll get it, but will try! Sizes are a mix of L's and XL's.

BTW, there's no possible way I could get them to you in time for PAX, so you have to wait for them to be shipped out until the following week.

UCE6Us.pngYHtXOs.pngJSibFs.png

Divebommah on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I think all three are pretty good. Although the "No Camping" one definitely is the most inspired of the group, IMO.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hay guys!

I just snagged 10 of the shirts we're going to give away at PAX. If you want one, please drop me a note here telling me what you think of them (go ahead and be honest, but we're still going to give away thousands of them :P) with your thoughts on the shirts and then DM me your mailing information. First come, first served! Oh, and tell me which of the three you'd like. Can't guarantee you'll get it, but will try! Sizes are a mix of L's and XL's.

BTW, there's no possible way I could get them to you in time for PAX, so you have to wait for them to be shipped out until the following week.

I like all three of them, honestly. I got an Intel shirt recently at PDX LAN in Portland, but I could always use more, as I love to support Intel as much as I can. And I've really just been too lazy to order any Intel clothing from the Intel Retail Edge anyway. :P

Don't get me wrong, I used to be an AMD fan as well. That is, until dual core processors came into the picture. And I'm extremely happy with my Core 2 Quad Q9300 right now. :D

The contest seems pretty cool too, I'm sure one of my first stops will be heading there to get a button. And I'll be wearing my Intel shirt, of course.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited August 2009
    I love the no camping one, although I contend that it is a legitimate strategy ;)

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hay guys!

I LAWLED at the blame the lag one, and the camping one made me giggle too, but I'm not so big on the Buff, but all in all Good Shirts! =D

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just know im gonna end up winning some sort of very expensive piece of hardware and i wont know what to do with it or how to use it.

The_Reflection on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just know im gonna end up winning some sort of very expensive piece of hardware and i wont know what to do with it or how to use it.

Give it to me

:P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited August 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

Give it to me

Damn, beat'd.

Although if it's something BigRed doesn't want/need I'll take it as well.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited August 2009

Give it to me

Damn, beat'd.

Yeah that's the catch with winning an awesometastic prize like a Core i7. Congratulations! This CPU is worth more than your entire computer! Now all you need is a mobo, power supply, fusion reactor... :mrgreen:

Divebommah on
    edited August 2009

Give it to me

Damn, beat'd.

Yeah that's the catch with winning an awesometastic prize like a Core i7. Congratulations! This CPU is worth more than your entire computer! Now all you need is a mobo, power supply, fusion reactor... :mrgreen:

Mobo should be all I need to upgrade if I win a Corei i7. I don't think my SilverStone 1000W PSU is too old, yet.

Although if I did that I know some DDR3 RAM and a new grapics card would soon be in my future.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited August 2009

Not all bad, gives you a project to work on in your spare time... I got a couple empty cases laying around here somewhere.

Spokane_SnowMan on
    edited August 2009

Not all bad, gives you a project to work on in your spare time... I got a couple empty cases laying around here somewhere.

If one of the PA forumers wins a Core i7 I really, really want to know what kind of sweet rig they pop it into.

Divebommah on
  • TeknotronicTeknotronic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am running an E8500 proc right now, but if I win an i7 I will definitely be upgrading :-)

Teknotronic on
  • FeliciaDaysCombFeliciaDaysComb Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hay guys!

I just snagged 10 of the shirts we're going to give away at PAX. If you want one, please drop me a note here telling me what you think of them (go ahead and be honest, but we're still going to give away thousands of them ) with your thoughts on the shirts and then DM me your mailing information. First come, first served! Oh, and tell me which of the three you'd like. Can't guarantee you'll get it, but will try! Sizes are a mix of L's and XL's.

[/QUOTE]

The "blame the lag" shirt and "No Camping" looks fitting for PAX. Awesome!

FeliciaDaysComb on
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hay guys!

Camping is a perfectly legitimate strategy.
    Only when it's not happening to you, of course.
    Anyway, those shirts are pretty awesome, I really like the text on the "Buff your system" shirt.
    Very awesome/retro.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • KholdstareKholdstare Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hay guys!

I really like the middle one cause it's not as obvious as most gaming shirts you see now a days. I think that one will go fast.

Kholdstare on
  • NeoNeo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

If one of the PA forumers wins a Core i7 I really, really want to know what kind of sweet rig they pop it into.

Well now see, that depends... as long as it is a step-up from my i7-920, it will be going into my current desktop rig (please be an i7-950, or even better, an i7 Extreme Edition!!!).

Also, in response to those who have commented that they are longtime AMD guys, I used to be as well. AMD has had a home in my gaming rig for the last 8+ years, but not any more my friends. I am here to bear witness that the Nehalem micro-architecture is freaking sweet! Intel got pointed in the right direction with their Core & Core 2 design and now they have hit their stride with this new architecture and there is even greater potential in their current road map.

Integrated memory controller (yes, AMD had it first, Intel is doing better), QPI (bye bye FSB), HyperThreading (bringing back an old concept in a better way), and so much other awesomeness (and much potential for even more).

I don't work for Intel, but I am a Storage/System Administrator at a tech company, this is the future but we get to enjoy it today. Do your homework, it will blow your socks off.

Neo on
    -- This space for rent --
    edited August 2009
    Neo wrote: »
    Also, in response to those who have commented that they are longtime AMD guys, I used to be as well. AMD has had a home in my gaming rig for the last 8+ years, but not any more my friends. I am here to bear witness that the Nehalem micro-architecture is freaking sweet! Intel got pointed in the right direction with their Core & Core 2 design and now they have hit their stride with this new architecture and there is even greater potential in their current road map.

+1

Built my own desktop with an AMD about... 6-7 years ago, and used AMD for long time. Back to Intel last year and have no complaints at all.

Edit: So Divebommah you set for the mob that is shaping up to be 4x bigger then Blizzcon? :)

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Neo wrote: »
    I don't work for Intel, but...

Oh, man, you shouldn't have said that. Now we know you work for Intel.

:winky:

ACC3SS on
  • NeoNeo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »
    Oh, man, you shouldn't have said that. Now we know you work for Intel.
    :winky:

Nope, pretty much just being a fan boi, it would be pointless to deny that (I think I made it pretty clear in my gush, err... I mean post).

Neo on
    -- This space for rent --
    edited August 2009
    Built my own desktop with an AMD about... 6-7 years ago, and used AMD for long time. Back to Intel last year and have no complaints at all.

Edit: So Divebommah you set for the mob that is shaping up to be 4x bigger then Blizzcon? :)

I hope so. I mean...not sure if I can share numbers but by the end of QuakeCon & BlizzCon we had given buttons to just about everyone who attended. Seriously. BlizzCon, last I heard, had 27,000 people attend. How many people do you need to hand out buttons to (I think) 70,000 freakin' thousand people? The mind wobbles! o_O

Oh, if anyone is interested, I'll be the guy at the booth doing all the tweeting about the prize patrols, taking pictures of what's going on, interviewing folks after they win stuff, etc.

Divebommah on
  • lillejordlillejord Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    So awesome! I'm going to win one of my friends a computer! No one ever votes for the underdog female Omega! MUAHAHAHA

PS: You should put [PRIME] so people know it's for Seattle PAX
    eye-shuh, you better not fail me!

lillejord on
  • ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Definitely love the no camping with blame the lag a close second. Buff's good too, but I enjoyed the other two more :]

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • pollybrownpollybrown Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As for buttons, as long as it's not a lame matching button contest like the one that NVidia did a few years ago. It was the biggest waste of time ever.

pollybrown on
  • Jules@Party934.comJules@Party934.com Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No.

As already explained a couple of times, all you have to do is be spotted by the prize patrol wearing a button and they give you a ticket to redeem your prize at the Intel booth.

Jules@Party934.com on
    edited August 2009
    pollybrown wrote: »
    As for buttons, as long as it's not a lame matching button contest like the one that NVidia did a few years ago. It was the biggest waste of time ever.

Yeah, it's just a big blue button (see the picture at the top of page 2) and you don't have to read it or anything -- just be sure the prize spotters see it so they can give you your prize card.

Divebommah on
    edited August 2009
    Now it's just time to come up with some awesome way to display these buttons :D

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
    edited August 2009
    ninjowned wrote: »

I would advise against anything involving taking your pants off and pinning the button to your knickers. But if you made pants out of the buttons... :winky:

Divebommah on
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I would advise against anything involving taking your pants off and pinning the button to your knickers. But if you made pants out of the buttons... :winky:

Damn, you have crushed my idea under the mighty power of your authority.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
    edited August 2009

This man is psychic! Button underwear was my first and foremost idea.

On a not-so-side-note... how easy is it to obtain multiple buttons?

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
    edited August 2009

Judging by the photos from Blizzcon with people covered with badges, probably not to hard :mrgreen:

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • atmoraatmora Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How do we identify the button patrol, care to elaborate?

atmora on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think it is more important that they identify you and not vice versa.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
    edited August 2009

Judging by the photos from Blizzcon with people covered with badges, probably not to hard :mrgreen:

Well, yeah, we give out multiple buttons but, see, the cards the prize patrols give out are each tied to one prize. And we bring enough buttons to cover the number of prizes we have plus a little extra. So if we give out too many buttons we may run out, and will be left with some prizes and no way to give them out.

So if you ask for a ton of them, do it first thing in the morning when we're thinking there's no way in hell we can give away all our stuff :)

Divebommah on
This discussion has been closed.