As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout Thread: As Paradise falls, so falls Paradise Falls.

• Options
    falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    has anyone posted this yet??

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/100/1002811p1.html

because F3 already has drained my life away. Now its little brother will do it next year.

falling_stone on
    This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
  • Options
    MidViciousMidVicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    All I have to say is, MMM increased ghouls (the Mod that allows a percentage of them to rise after killing them).

This mod is epic. Going through feral subways, wiping out the ghouls, only to come back and see them walking around (some with no arms!) is creepy. I won't even mention the basement of the History of Museum. I'm talking Dawn of the Dead numbers.

And I swear to God, Dupont Circle with Increased Ghouls is a fucking 28 Days Later nightmare.

I've never had so much fun.

MidVicious on
    "When you're in the type of business we're in, you don't get a criminal lawyer, you get a criminal lawyer!"
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MidVicious wrote: »
    All I have to say is, MMM increased ghouls (the Mod that allows a percentage of them to rise after killing them).

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

(...you wouldn't happen to have a link to this mod, would you? All I can find on the Nexus and google is the MMM increased spawns mod for 1-3x or 2-5x as much stuff to shoot)

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

(...you wouldn't happen to have a link to this mod, would you? All I can find on the Nexus and google is the MMM increased spawns mod for 1-3x or 2-5x as much stuff to shoot)

It's part of the MMM mod, the mod itself has something like 14 ESMs, very modular.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MMM with increased increased will MURDER your computer.

I know, I did it. whole game, and it was a bitch and i'm never doing it ever never again

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I know, I did it. whole game, and it was a bitch and i'm never doing it ever never again

The endless hordes of ghouls make it all worthwhile though.

I would usually run out of ammo before the sewer ran out of ghouls until I hit the 20's.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

The endless hordes of ghouls make it all worthwhile though.

I would usually run out of ammo before the sewer ran out of ghouls until I hit the 20's.

It is the only thing that ever makes the fatman a must have in you constant carry arsenal.

Cause fuck, there's 500 bajillion things around you. are you going to waste precious bullets, or bring about a comfortable atomic winter with a couple well placed kabooms?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    All this talk of mods make me wonder: if one is only able to play this game on a console (namely the PS3), is it worth it? I held off on picking it up when it was released because of some reports of some annoying bugs, but now that there's talk of a GOTY edition, I'm curious again. But if a lot of the fun is in mods...

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    All this talk of mods make me wonder: if one is only able to play this game on a console (namely the PS3), is it worth it? I held off on picking it up when it was released because of some reports of some annoying bugs, but now that there's talk of a GOTY edition, I'm curious again. But if a lot of the fun is in mods...

Alot of fun is in the mods, granted, but this isn't one of those "mod makes the game worthwhile" type of deals. Vanilla Fallout 3 is very fun to play with, GECK tools just make it so mod makers can basically churn out mostly anything they want, thus making the mod scene much more active than most games.

I played this game without mods for a long time, and I had tons of fun, this game can stand on its legs without mods.

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Vanilla FO3 is fun as hell - you do not need mods AT ALL to have a very enjoyable experience that can last for 100 hours, easy.

Personally, I only use some touch up mods to make the game look 'better' (blue skies, some greenery, better water, etc.) - I've never used any gameplay altering mods, and I've been through the game twice now.

You won't regret getting it.

Graviija on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    has anyone posted this yet??

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/100/1002811p1.html

because F3 already has drained my life away. Now its little brother will do it next year.

I like how that article consists of almost nothing but vague speculation, nigh-on bereft of any factual content. They must be having a slow news day.

That said the idea of Beth letting Obsidian use Gamebryo is one I hadn't heard before. Don't really know how likely it is, but 2010 does seem ambitious for a ground-up project.

Suriko on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ambitious with a short development cycle? No way. Just look at how well KOTOR 2 turned out.

In all serious they've probably been working on it for at least 6 months now so 2010 isn't too bad. Most of the core gameplay mechanics can just be reused so it's not like they need to completely rebuild the thing. Considering that Bethesda isn't exactly known for its writing ability, I'm cautiously optimistic about how Obsidian will handle it. By that I mean I'll wait awhile to make sure it's not another KOTOR 2.

Strikor on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    Vanilla FO3 is fun as hell - you do not need mods AT ALL to have a very enjoyable experience that can last for 100 hours, easy.

Personally, I only use some touch up mods to make the game look 'better' (blue skies, some greenery, better water, etc.) - I've never used any gameplay altering mods, and I've been through the game twice now.

You won't regret getting it.

Seconded. Put it this way, when I got Oblivion for the PC, first thing I did was set up a ton of mods. Fallout 3, by comparison, I jumped right in and played it to completion vanilla. Did not mind in the least.

Granted, I'm running several of them now - also largely cosmetic ones, with a few general changes like Repair Rethought and new perk packs - but I think the actual game is solid enough on any platform. If it's an option, go for the PC, but if it's not, get it where you can and play it until you drop.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You don't need mods to play fallout 3.

but if you have a PC capable of playing it I would say it'd be a very foolish move not to get it on PC.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But if I don't have a PC capable of playing it (no Windows at all around here), playing it on PS3 is still quite a bit of fun, it appears?

To be honest I've never been much into mods even when I was on Windows, so it's good to hear that a lot of you guys have a ton of fun in the vanilla game (or with some minor mods for cosmetic stuff). From what you guys have been talking about it seems like most of the mods make the biggest impact after you've already played the game and enjoy the vanilla version as it is.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I know I've enjoyed it a lot on the 360. Enough for a third playthrough so I can try the "neutral" route. The character's name? "Hello."

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I have around 120 hours on my Fallout 3 360 save, and I still have Broken Steel missions to do and side quests to finish. I may not be a very good barometer though because I hear the folks in here talking about mods and thinking "that doesn't sound fun." I am also an admitted console gamer so take this with whatever grain of salt that creates for you.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Honestly, Fallout 3 - even vanilla - is very much a 'five more minutes' game. It's always "Ah, I'll just see what's in the next room. Or maybe over there at that map marker. Nice, I found a stat book and some meds. Okay, I'll stop for tonight after I sell my gear from that last dungeon. Weeeellll I'm almost done with that quest anyway..."

Two hours later...

"FUCK YEAH I GOT A FATMAN AND SOME NUKES AND MIGHTY MIGHTY MAN JUST STARTED PLAYING THIS TRAIN AIN'T MAKIN' NO STOPS TONIGHT"

The last game that genuinely made me lose track of time was Vampire: Bloodlines. That said, the PC version is worth it almost solely for GNR extended.

Stolls on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Strikor wrote: »
    Ambitious with a short development cycle? No way. Just look at how well KOTOR 2 turned out.
    And Neverwinter 2. As great as the original Fallout crew getting back together for a big post-apocalyptic whoop-de-do is, the fact that they've thus far released two extrordinarily buggy and rushed products out of a total of two doesn't fill me with much hope. Obsidian's bug-testing ethics with Gamebryo's instability just spells "launch-day disaster" to me.
    In all serious they've probably been working on it for at least 6 months now so 2010 isn't too bad. Most of the core gameplay mechanics can just be reused so it's not like they need to completely rebuild the thing. Considering that Bethesda isn't exactly known for its writing ability, I'm cautiously optimistic about how Obsidian will handle it. By that I mean I'll wait awhile to make sure it's not another KOTOR 2.
    That makes me wonder how FONV's going to differ from FO3 as a natural result of the different kinds of design styles between the two of them. Are they going to have vast, super-detailed (and computer-raping) outdoor areas like the wasteland in FO3, or are they going to use more of a hub or clustering setup like they did with the older games and KOTOR and NWN2?

EDIT: Yeah, count me on the "vanilla is just dandy" bandwagon, there's really nothing in the original that makes playing it an outright pain unlike Oblivion, so mods're just a nice layer of icing and whatnot on top of the cake.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd bet half a cup of instant mashed potato flakes that they go with a hub.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Fallout 3 is wonderful even without mods. I put a hundred hours in on the PS3 version before I got a computer good enough to play it the way God intended.

Mods are just a fun little bonus. I just started a new run without any mods except cosmetic ones like Fellout and Enhanced Rain and Snow.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I will amend my "the console version is fun" statement with this: I desperately wish that my radio had more songs on it. If I ever get the PC version whatever mod makes the radio more robust will be the one that I get.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    considering that FONV is going have Fallout alumni on the team, I say that its going to be gods gift to mankind no matter what system they use.

Seriously, just the idea of it makes me giddy.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    I'd bet half a cup of instant mashed potato flakes that they go with a hub.

A hub would be fine, but I could also see them going back to a classic Fallout 1&2-style world map. It would certainly make sense for the vast Nevada desert.

I almost don't want them to give it an Oblivion-style open world because, as boring as the capital wasteland can be, running over miles of flat desert would be a thousand times worse.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I'd wager a fair amount that NV won't be the sprawling sandbox that the Capital Wasteland is, and will instead be closer to the old Fallout system, or something like that.

Not really sure how I feel about that though. There's nothing I love more than wandering around F3 finding random stuff.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I'd wager a fair amount that NV won't be the sprawling sandbox that the Capital Wasteland is, and will instead be closer to the old Fallout system, or something like that.

Not really sure how I feel about that though. There's nothing I love more than wandering around F3 finding random stuff.
    The one thing that I hate about the wilderness of Oblivion and the Wasteland of FO3 is that, as nice as it is to just be able to go in any direction for a good long time and keep finding stuff is that it is murderous towards your resources, especially with the settings cranked up. Just about every crash I've had in FO3's been while out in the wide fucking wastes as my computer has a stroke trying to load and unload the enormous amount of crap - granted, wonderfully-detailed and immersive crap - present in it and calculate all the shit to take into account. Once I get indoors or into a small worldspace it's silky smooth sailing. My PC ain't a slouch, either.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »

The one thing that I hate about the wilderness of Oblivion and the Wasteland of FO3 is that, as nice as it is to just be able to go in any direction for a good long time and keep finding stuff is that it is murderous towards your resources, especially with the settings cranked up. Just about every crash I've had in FO3's been while out in the wide fucking wastes as my computer has a stroke trying to load and unload the enormous amount of crap - granted, wonderfully-detailed and immersive crap - present in it and calculate all the shit to take into account. Once I get indoors or into a small worldspace it's silky smooth sailing. My PC ain't a slouch, either.

Yeah, my PC can run it on Very High in indoor areas. As soon as I go outside the framerate drops to single digits. But that's the price you pay for such an expansive world. Fallout 3 just wouldn't be the same without all the scenic vistas of ruined skyscrapers and highways.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You can have nice set pieces and all, the problem's setting them up so that the game's focusing on the set piece and not everything else that's going on within half a kilometer of your position. Having smaller worldspaces along the likes of Megaton and some parts of DC instead of the huge fucking expanse that forms the wastes would help, that and better unloading of stuff from the RAM.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Just in case you haven't seen it, you should check out the settings guide over at Tweakguides. There's a lot of stuff you can do to get it running much more smoothly on your PC (in particular, check the section on vsync and the section on "memory, loading, and multi-threading" in advanced tweaking.) It seems like the main offender for sluggish play is the default settings and .ini files. Even up to very high, they aren't made to take advantage of computers with high amounts of RAM or dual/quad cores.

After I screwed with it for a bit, I was able to run everything on very high with my geforce 8800 GTS and only saw occasional slowdowns when there was a lot of specularity and lighting effects on screen at once.

Skexis on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Skexis wrote: »

Just in case you haven't seen it, you should check out the settings guide over at Tweakguides. There's a lot of stuff you can do to get it running much more smoothly on your PC (in particular, check the section on vsync and the section on "memory, loading, and multi-threading" in advanced tweaking.) It seems like the main offender for sluggish play is the default settings and .ini files. Even up to very high, they aren't made to take advantage of computers with high amounts of RAM or dual/quad cores.

After I screwed with it for a bit, I was able to run everything on very high with my geforce 8800 GTS and only saw occasional slowdowns when there was a lot of specularity and lighting effects on screen at once.

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely try this so maybe I can start seeing the enemies before I'm close enough that they attack.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

This. With this guide I managed to remove all slowdown and still keep most of my settings maxed out. Probably should be in the OP.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

This mod is epic. Going through feral subways, wiping out the ghouls, only to come back and see them walking around (some with no arms!) is creepy. I won't even mention the basement of the History of Museum. I'm talking Dawn of the Dead numbers.

And I swear to God, Dupont Circle with Increased Ghouls is a fucking 28 Days Later nightmare.

I've never had so much fun.

All the resurrection mod did for me was make me blow off every ghoul's head after every battle. Occasionally I'd miss one and it'd would get up, but since I knew it might happen it wasn't scary at all.

The mod is only great if you don't know you have it installed. Otherwise it becomes tedious.

Increased Increased Spawns is still great, though. Haven't tried Feral Ghoul Rampage yet.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

Fallout 3 is wonderful even without mods. I put a hundred hours in on the PS3 version before I got a computer good enough to play it the way God intended.

Mods are just a fun little bonus. I just started a new run without any mods except cosmetic ones like Fellout and Enhanced Rain and Snow.

Mods are the reason to own f3 instead of rent, as great as the original gameplay is it has a set limit of things that can be done (i originally had f3 for my 360 but traded my game to a friend for the pc version) I got through 2 and a half play throughs vanilla and have since gone to mods, and honestly I dont think I could play through the vanillia version again.

Its a great game non modded but with mods its a frakkin classic.

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Strikor wrote: »

Kotor 2 for its many many many many many flaws is great for 75% of the game (35 hr game for me) in fact since I am a stickler for no game guides until I beat a game I thought for sure their were multiple endings and I just happened to get the hey you moron you didnt get the completionist ending which is the 'real' ending, it was until after my 2nd playthrough I went online to find oh the ending is complete trash... I still have kotor 2 for both xbox and pc (I started a 3rd playthrough but lost interest) But honestly 70 hrs of gameplay total isnt a bad experience is it?

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, KOTOR 2 suffered more from cut content than anything else. What was there was fine. Hopefully they correct the few other flaws and don't get a the last 25% of the game cut.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

This. With this guide I managed to remove all slowdown and still keep most of my settings maxed out. Probably should be in the OP.

your wish is my command

you know, unless your wishes are stupid and/or unrealistic

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's funny that KOTOR 2 comes up, considering Fallout 3 has a similar problem: great game overall, but an ending that can charitably be described as rushed. At least, I'm hoping that's the excuse. Broken Steel makes it less of an issue, but it's still a blight on the game overall, and every time I pass it I'm reminded of just how badly somebody dropped the ball. It is an almost literal last-second gut punch and someone thought it was a good idea.

The fact that the game is still awesome, however, puts me in an odd position. On the one hand, even if BS never came out, I'd probably still play F3 until the end of time. On the other, I'm a huuuuuuuuuuge fan of closure. It doesn't have to be a good ending or a happy ending - I like those, but it's not necessary depending on the story - but if I'm to take the story seriously, I have to see that they've thought this through.

Fallout 3's story wasn't bad enough to sabotage the game - to be honest, it wasn't even bad for about the first half to two-thirds - but it's a lesson in how much damage a bad ending can do. Maybe FONV won't have this problem, who knows. I'll probably check it out anyway. But I am skeptical all the same.

Stolls on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2009
    I was actually stunned at how bad the ending for Fallout 3 was. I mean I was warned in advance and everything, and I still ended up staring at the screen saying "wow"

Tube on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Stolls wrote: »
    Fallout 3's story wasn't bad enough to sabotage the game - to be honest, it wasn't even bad for about the first half to two-thirds - but it's a lesson in how much damage a bad ending can do. Maybe FONV won't have this problem, who knows. I'll probably check it out anyway. But I am skeptical all the same.

Considering it's Obsidian, the story for Vegas is the least of my worries. I'd honestly be surprised if it wasn't better than any of the previous Fallout games.

That said I am cautious about how they'll handle the freedom of the Fallout series, particuarly 3. While Bethesda's worldcrafting leads to its own sets of problems (thin characterisation, lack of detail due to sheer scope), it's a form of gameplay I hugely enjoy compared to most. After being spoiled with F3, I just wonder if Obsidian can capture that feeling of freedom, or at least not sacrifice too much in order to keep detail.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Would this mod let me play (still probably on low to mid settings) Fallout 3 on my PC? I meet all the requirements except for video card (I have a ATi x1300).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png