As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sen. Ted Kennedy dies at 77

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    The Judgement of Nations

Nothing about the gays? I'm shocked.

One of the grandchildren prayed to remove the division and hostility between people including "gay and straight" in the portion of the Mass where the assemblage asks "Lord Hear Our Prayer" (The Prayers of the Faitful)

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    gigEsmalls wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    Now there is no one in the Senate who gives you a shit about you.

Except Russ Feingold.
    Dick Durbin's alright. So's Chuck Schumer more or less.

And Byrd loves you, if you live in West Virginia and he can put his name on whatever it is you want.
    Hey, let's not forget Webb, he's good.
    John McCain, hands down. I'm willing to bet when he dies he'll get just as much coverage as Ted did.
    I get the feeling he really doesn't care about his constituents.
    Well, that would at least be something we can agree on, since I don't care about his constituents, either.

:?

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
    edited August 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Support health care now for Ted!

It is crass but he would have wanted it that way.

I would not be surprised if he took some people aside and said "Exploit my death for all it's worth."

I agree, but that doesn't say good things about him at all.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2009
    widowson wrote: »

I would not be surprised if he took some people aside and said "Exploit my death for all it's worth."

If through his death we got healthcare for the masses, then I think it says GREAT things about the man.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Bama on
    edited August 2009
    Bama wrote: »

I don't see anything wrong with it.

The irony is that those sort of tactics will turn a lot of people off because it looks "crass" and "exploitive." Americans arn't stupid.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
    edited August 2009
    Americans arn't stupid.
    ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Bama on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Americans arn't stupid.

They hate us for our freedom, WMDs, Axis of Evil, Greet us as liberators....the list goes on.

No-Quarter on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hell, within the health care debate, that's easily proven wrong. And will be again in a second.

Support for "Obama's health care" bill is 37%, in the same poll, after given a paragraph description of the health care bill the Democrats are pushing (I think the Senate HELP version), support is 53%.

I'll bet anything that within a week a majority of Americans will believe Kennedy hated this bill, even though his staff damn near wrote it.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited August 2009
    Americans arn't stupid.

And how smart is it to call americans stupid yet expect them to support your ideas and vote the way you want them to vote? It's that sort of arrogant, condescending, smug crap that pisses them off.

Yeah, insulting people is a *great* way to get them to come around to your point of view.

People like Obama and Kennedy succeeded because they didn't spit in the faces of their fellow countrymen.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
    edited August 2009
    It's that sort of arrogant, condescending, smug crap that pisses them off.
    And willfully ignorant, lazy, and hateful crap pisses me off.

I don't "spit in the faces" of my fellow countrymen. I do, however, base my assessment of political maneuvers in reality.

Bama on
    edited August 2009

I don't "spit in the faces" of my fellow countrymen. I do, however, base my assessment of political maneuvers in reality.

I asserted that americans arn't stupid.

You laughed.

That's a pretty strong indication that you believe this not to be true.

Are some americans dumb? Yeah, but the country as a whole is way too successful overall to be comprised of morons.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I asserted that americans arn't stupid.

You laughed.

That's a pretty strong indication that you believe this not to be true.

Are some americans dumb? Yeah, but the country as a whole is way too successful overall to be comprised of morons.

You don't have to be a moron in order to be stupid when it comes to politics, policy, or the arcane workings of Congress. So I'm really not seeing your point.

moniker on
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think he was laughing at the irony of you saying Americans aren't stupid and spelling aren't "arn't."

Clevinger on
    edited August 2009
    Clevinger wrote: »
    I think he was laughing at the irony of you saying Americans aren't stupid and spelling aren't "arn't."
    That was a bonus. Moniker has the primary thrust of it.

Bama on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Americans may not be "stupid," but we've pretty clearly proven over the years that most of us are complete suckers. Suckers with no real conception of what's actually going on around them.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think ignorant, and too lazy and stubborn to fix that ignorance, would be a good way to describe us.

Clevinger on
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I think that in a huge democracy, sooner or later the ratio of government power/"average capacity of citizen to grasp the situation and manage society" just becomes critical. Kennedy certainly did his best to ameliorate the negative effects that come with the shifts of said ratio.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Obama's eulogy of Kennedy is transcribed here.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think ignorant, and too lazy and stubborn to fix that ignorance, would be a good way to describe us.

Lazy really is the wrong terms, Americans tend to work pretty hard. I'm not sure what the right term is, but alot of the righties are locked in little cognitive feedback loops that refuse to accept reality.

I'd love for some psychologist to analyze the right as a whole, I mean it's groupthink 101, but there's more to it than that.

override367 on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Lazy really is the wrong terms, Americans tend to work pretty hard. I'm not sure what the right term is, but alot of the righties are locked in little cognitive feedback loops that refuse to accept reality.

I'd love for some psychologist to analyze the right as a whole, I mean it's groupthink 101, but there's more to it than that.

Intellectually apathetic, maybe? People get to a point where they have a little bit of information about something and they figure that's all they need. They aren't interested in informing themselves any further.

KalTorak on
    edited August 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

Intellectually apathetic, maybe? People get to a point where they have a little bit of information about something and they figure that's all they need. They aren't interested in informing themselves any further.
    People also develop a trust for specific people or sources that makes them extra super gullible to anything those sources might spew out. See; Fair and Balanced.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

People also develop a trust for specific people or sources that makes them extra super gullible to anything those sources might spew out. See; Fair and Balanced.

See; your arrogance.

gigEsmalls on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

See; your arrogance.

So what you're trying to say is that a lot of people have developed a trust in OptimusZed's arrogance?

Hachface on
    edited August 2009

See; your arrogance.
    Do you really want to jump to the defense of Fox News?

OptimusZed on

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I love how the statement that "americans are politically ignorant" gets refuted with the jingoistic "why are you spitting on your countrymen?"

Very compelling argument there.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I love how the statement that "americans are politically ignorant" gets refuted with the jingoistic "why are you spitting on your countrymen?"

Very compelling argument there.

Especially given polls where only a third of respondents can correctly identify the public option out of three possible answers and republican talking points are based on the claim that the public option isn't an option.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited August 2009

See; your arrogance.

So what you're trying to say is that a lot of people have developed a trust in OptimusZed's arrogance?
    To be fair, you can set your watch by it.

OptimusZed on

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think lots of American ignorance comes from the lack of information in most resources. A lot of us here dig through newsgroups, multiple online news sites, newspapers(I read my local one, has a great sports section if anything), and watch multiple news shows or channels. Most people don't do that and trust that the one show they watch or listen to that day will give them the news in an unbiased way. Sadly biased reporting makes more money because it is more sensational than the truth so that is what Americans get. They get 30 second clips for topics that should take 20 minutes at minimum because if we can fit 10 headlines in the time we can do three real stories, the 10 headlines will hold more viewers and make more money. The more time people spend learning about the world the less you hear ignorance that many mark as an American trait, but for that to happen most people must put a lot of time and effort and go outside the easily attainable news.

Though I think if we are going to discuss this, we should probably move to a different topic than this one on the death of Ted Kennedy. I must admit Obama's eulogy was very well done and moving. Just reading it made me tear up a little.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited August 2009
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I think lots of American ignorance comes from the lack of information in most resources. A lot of us here dig through newsgroups, multiple online news sites, newspapers(I read my local one, has a great sports section if anything), and watch multiple news shows or channels. Most people don't do that and trust that the one show they watch or listen to that day will give them the news in an unbiased way. Sadly biased reporting makes more money because it is more sensational than the truth so that is what Americans get. They get 30 second clips for topics that should take 20 minutes at minimum because if we can fit 10 headlines in the time we can do three real stories, the 10 headlines will hold more viewers and make more money. The more time people spend learning about the world the less you hear ignorance that many mark as an American trait, but for that to happen most people must put a lot of time and effort and go outside the easily attainable news.

Though I think if we are going to discuss this, we should probably move to a different topic than this one on the death of Ted Kennedy. I must admit Obama's eulogy was very well done and moving. Just reading it made me tear up a little.

There's nothing wrong with biased reporting provided you're upfront about it and actually doing good reporting. Biased shitty reporting is bad, but by the same token unbiased shitty reporting is also bad.

moniker on
  • gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

See; your arrogance.

You should defend your sense of superiority over those who have a different opinion.

gigEsmalls on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

You should defend your sense of superiority over those who have a different opinion.

We're talking about a company that argued(successfully, I might add) that the media can lie legally.

I think the sense of superiority is completely warranted.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm all for differing opinions

problem is most of what pundits say aren't opinions they're mudslingng as much stupid against the wall hoping one percent of it sticks.

I think there's nothing wrong with cutting people out of the discourse when they are not participating in good faith.

nexuscrawler on
    edited August 2009

See; your arrogance.

We can when that opinion is about established facts, such as the existence of death panels.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited August 2009

People are entitled to their own opinions, they are not entitled to their own facts.

moniker on
    edited August 2009

See; your arrogance.

This has nothing to do with their opinions. It's purely about the legitimacy of single-source news.

OptimusZed on

edited August 2009
    Fuck you, Huckabee.
    The 2008 Republican presidential candidate suggested during his radio show, "The Huckabee Report," on Thursday that, under President Obama's health care plan, Kennedy would have been told to "go home to take pain pills and die" during his last year of life.
    As it happens, Huckabee made his remarks shortly after he derided Democrats for using Kennedy's death to make the pitch that "Congress must hurry and pass the health care reform bill and do it in his memory,"

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Fuck you, Huckabee.
    The 2008 Republican presidential candidate suggested during his radio show, "The Huckabee Report," on Thursday that, under President Obama's health care plan, Kennedy would have been told to "go home to take pain pills and die" during his last year of life.
    As it happens, Huckabee made his remarks shortly after he derided Democrats for using Kennedy's death to make the pitch that "Congress must hurry and pass the health care reform bill and do it in his memory,"

My favorite part of this is of course that if Kennedy weren't you know, a Senator or someone similarly powerful (like a Kennedy), that would have been his treatment under the current system.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fuck you, Huckabee.

My favorite part of this is of course that if Kennedy weren't you know, a Senator or someone similarly powerful (like a Kennedy), that would have been his treatment under the current system.

Actually, from what I've read that basically was his treatment. He had a glioblastoma, which has a median life expectancy prognosis of about 15 months. Sure, he had the best care available, but this is a kind of particularly nasty cancer that has so far not had much success as far as treatment goes.

There really isn't much else that can be done other than managing the pain and symptoms, from what I've read.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    edited August 2009
    DHS wrote: »
    Fuck you, Huckabee.

Actually, from what I've read that basically was his treatment. He had a glioblastoma, which has a median life expectancy prognosis of about 15 months. Sure, he had the best care available, but this is a kind of particularly nasty cancer that has so far not had much success as far as treatment goes.

There really isn't much else that can be done other than managing the pain and symptoms, from what I've read.

Not to mention the fact that his health insurance is public already.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]