As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Big smelly head [DOODLE] face with words that make me go ARAHAHREIAHRIA

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DeeLock wrote: »
    That's the thing about bear attacks, they come when you least expect them.

I guess if you're retarded. The rest of us see a bear charging us at thirty miles per hour and pretty much know what to expect.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    More art... this is all part of a portfolio push to get more sci fi/fantasy work.

valley.jpg

I like this.

I mean there's some perspective issues- the right building on the right not following the vertical perspective enough, the jet-engine looking bit of the right solar catcher not getting enough of the sideplane as opposed to the front plane, the fence in the BG kinda being weird, but...

It's one of those pictures that I see and go 'BAM! THIS IS AWESOME!' and then if I look close I can see some stuff wrong but my brain is just like 'TOO LATE THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN DETERMINED TO BE AWESOME.' The confidence of the whole thing just slaps the nitpicky part of my brain upside its head.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like this.

I mean there's some perspective issues- the right building on the right not following the vertical perspective enough, the jet-engine looking bit of the right solar catcher not getting enough of the sideplane as opposed to the front plane, the fence in the BG kinda being weird, but...

It's one of those pictures that I see and go 'BAM! THIS IS AWESOME!' and then if I look close I can see some stuff wrong but my brain is just like 'TOO LATE THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN DETERMINED TO BE AWESOME.' The confidence of the whole thing just slaps the nitpicky part of my brain upside its head.

Thanks! Its definitely got its problems... mostly because I probably didnt spend that much time on structure before finishing things up. I wanted to send it out as part of an art test today and had only started it at 11:00pm last night after scrapping two days of work*. Suffice to say, it was kind of rushy mc rush rush.

*It was shite. Its kind of funny how that works sometimes with scrapping loads of work and getting a hugely better result in the shorter amount of time.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    Thane wrote: »
    dj panda!

<3!

I'm kinda obsessed with Red Pandas to the degree that i thought they needed a DJ

my god, i am also obsessed with them
    i can't stop drawing them

just all day, e'ryday drawin' red pandas

i have this idea that i'm going to apply after exams, where i just draw big panels of them doing just unimaginable shit, in an anime meets Jeff Smith way.
    I'm kinda excited about it

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Awesome Wassa, you are producing the art that I wish I was producing.

Mustang on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like this.

Thanks! Its definitely got its problems... mostly because I probably didnt spend that much time on structure before finishing things up. I wanted to send it out as part of an art test today and had only started it at 11:00pm last night after scrapping two days of work*. Suffice to say, it was kind of rushy mc rush rush.

*It was shite. Its kind of funny how that works sometimes with scrapping loads of work and getting a hugely better result in the shorter amount of time.

*Insert what Bacon said but with more ass kissing*

also a quick logical fix might be putting the solar panels on top of the turbines, but I guess that'd fuck your composition. Also, I like how the turbine setup looks like the top part of a long-necked robot.

Tam on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    more evidence to the fact that when you really know what you're doing, you can make little slip ups like this and it really doesn't effect...well...anything

great work as always wassah

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    I like this.

*Insert what Bacon said but with more ass kissing*

also a quick logical fix might be putting the solar panels on top of the turbines, but I guess that'd fuck your composition. Also, I like how the turbine setup looks like the top part of a long-necked robot.

It doesn't fucking matter since solar panels make electricity, and not heat. Why the fuck do you have a turbine up there?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    any number of excuses, but oh well

it looks great

Tam on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The turbines are obviously part of some kind of field generator that's powered by the solar panels.

Duh.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    The turbines are obviously part of some kind of field generator that's powered by the solar panels.

Duh.

Because clearly the solar panels arn't solar panels and are in fact wind collection sails!

Gawd.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    any number of excuses, but oh well

it looks great

excuses. That's all you have.

Clean out your desk and get the fuck out of my office.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This is especially fitting

the employee who has nothing but excuses and the boss who doesn't actually do any work

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This is especially fitting

the employee who has nothing but excuses and the boss who doesn't actually do any work

Well make some excuses why I shouldn't have security come down here and break your fucking legs!

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    well because you're a depressed alcoholic who can't afford security

sorry about that

any word from Target?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    well because you're a depressed alcoholic who can't afford security

We'll see what the men with nightsticks have to say about that! Someone call security for me!

Edit: yeah, they called to say you were a complete cocksucker.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I doubt it

xglhzc.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    did anyone check out that sand art video i posted? i'm surprised there's no comments. i was blown away by it

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think it made it's rounds awhile ago. Pretty impressive for sure though.

Sometimes drawing on things that don't last are the best. I like drawing on car windows with condensation. The best part is it pops up like a week later and your friend is like who drew cock and balls on my windshield!?!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes and yes.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Another something quick and simple till i figure out what i wanna do next.

1_copy.jpg

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I doubt it

xglhzc.jpg

i like it, but if they're supposed to be interacting you should pull the borgasaurus down a pinch ;)

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    they were just two separate quick ideas.

Tam on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    character design.

2a8q2wi.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    then good work, tam

now color them in with glowy zap-rays

as for you, winter, your characters are certainly badass enough but you should work on your hands and feet; the right one's left foot looks completely formless.

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    yeah i definately need to work on that. Ill prob refine these in the morning. last update for tonight
    Chick wearing a Raiders jacket. I dont know anything about american football, but ive heard their fans are pretty scary.

2vv6psh.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tam, I like that in the picture the guy on the right seems to be saying, "Hey, settle down, raptorbot, if we're gonna work as a team, you need to cool your jets."

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I see the Raptor bot more as being hesitant. Hesitant to accept the feelings that now swell inside his mechanized belly.
    "He was an idiot that Mecha Elf...A dumb, sexy, confident...idiot..."

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    same comments as before WCK
    your people's faces and heads look like they are slightly warped and the hands/feet are just awful
    look at the size of that broad's neck!

also look up folds in clothing
    and more importantly, having lines that flow and move the eye around the image in an aesthetically pleasing way, to places where you want them to go.
    the way those lines on the jacket are drawn is pulling your eye to her zipper
    which is probably not an intended focal point, zippers are pretty boring.

beavotron on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    broad?! who in the hell uses the word 'broad' anymore?

sheesh.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    beavo is a cool cat from the 50s, see

bear, yes, he is a condescending, hedonistic, plutocrat

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    oh, just calling her out for calling me out for it is all.

Granted, it's probably more respectable from a cool cat from the 50s than it is from me, who's much more similar to Carl from Aqua Team.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    your people's faces and heads look like they are slightly warped and the hands/feet are just awful

you forgot the sugar!

anyway, colour doodle

2dui43s.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    More pinup sketch ideas, NSFW'd for 1/2 a nipple.
    http://bacon.iseenothing.com/pinup_sketches_2.jpg

I'm really enjoying may lack of decisiveness here a bit too much.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    @WCK: Though you've got other stuff going on that might be bigger issues, I'm going to get on you about a thing just because personally it drives me up the wall. And that's the ham-handed way you tend to shade things.

Now, let's start with your sig. Watching the masters at work, yeah? Well here's a de-facto master at work:

http://bacon.iseenothing.com/otherpeoplestuff/greuze.jpg

Kept the picture extra special big so you can pay special attention to how he uses line in his shading. I picked this picture because almost every line and bit of shading wraps around the form in a coherent way: down or across a muscle, or down or across a plane. Nothing is left random or sloppy here, and as a result is a drawing where the form is spectacularly well-defined and unambiguous. A sculptor could take that drawing and create that face in 3d just by raking along Greuze's linework.

Now your shading is a different story. You might say, "hey I'm not trying to do anything with this crazy line-direction business!", but that would mean instead you're trying carry the form through tone alone... and for that to be effective, you'd have to be much much much much more delicate and much more patient- and you'd still be better off shading along the form because it'll both make it look like you really know what you're doing, and probably make it look more interesting to boot. Plus doing things this way forces you to think about your construction more explicitly, which is another thing you need to be doing anyway.

WCK_line.jpg

See how just paying attention to the shading direction is helping to make the drawing feel more solid? Well worth the extra minute of effort it takes to think about how the form of your object is working, instead of just starting in scribbling shadows without rhyme or reason.

Previous paintover that might also help explain the concept:
    http://bacon.iseenothing.com/otherpeoplestuff/1900_girl.jpg

Well, I've said my piece, so if I see any more crisscross bullshit don't be surprised if you wind up with an embarrassing avatar and/or title.

You might want to try copying that Greuze up there- or if you have decent reproductions, you can plainly see this idea at work in most master works, esp. Durer, Michelangelo, and Raphael. Drawing Lessons From the Great Masters and Anatomy Lessons From The Great Masters is a good starting points for a getting a good collection of master drawings to study from.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Cheers dude!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    More pinup sketch ideas, NSFW'd for 1/2 a nipple.
    http://bacon.iseenothing.com/pinup_sketches_2.jpg

I'm really enjoying may lack of decisiveness here a bit too much.

nice ass on I Dream of Jeannie there.

She looks like a Waffle House waitress I wouldn't mind taking to the motel across the street.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Last udate for tonight. Chick colour rough. the finals will be re-drawn in a less stiff pose (i reffed loomis' structure)

2u55gyx.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

you forgot the sugar!

anyway, colour doodle

okay so, i'm frustrated to the point now that i'm no longer going to offer up crits to you.
    you're trying to get into the industry I am already in.
    I'm trying to offer you some help because, darling... there is no sugar here.

if you think the ac is harsh, HA!
    go browse through Ikage's thread, an artist who has WELL passed you in skill level, who is also working in the gaming art industry and see what the guys at pixar had to say about HER work.

I am nice and buttery and kind to people who want to do this as a hobby
    to people who want to make this their job? not so much, because it's not a nice and buttery industry.
    it's cut throat as fuck, and if you don't grow a pair and learn to take the crits and SERIOUSLY look at your work from the perspective of those who are critting it, you're not going to make it very far at all.

So I'm done critting you, as I get nothing but resistance and excuses and am starting to consider you a lost cause. also the realization that why SHOULD I try to help someone trying to work to be my competition dawned on me, so hey!
    Best of luck. :)

beavotron on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    3871360804_f00246c61a.jpg

all 2-3 min poses

Greatnation on
This discussion has been closed.