As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castle Crashers: Raising Dead People and Swinging Chainsaws

2»

• AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just a quick question, if you buy the DLC can you play with people who only have the base game and still use the new content? Ala Marvel Ultimate Alliance or Crackdown? What happens if they try to pick up one of the new weapons? I might pick both packs up but only if I can round up a few friends to play again.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Locally my friend and I played (I bought the DLC, he didn't) and he was able to grab the swords and create the new characters. But when he went home he wasn't able to pick up the sword if he dropped it, if that makes sense. I don't know what happens if he played online with me.

urahonky on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I liked the demo, which I downloaded recently but I have two questions:

1. If I buy Castle Crashers, will I be able to take the game with me to a friend on my memory stick? (We do most our gaming at his place, and he does not have his 360 hooked up to Live)

2. Just roughly, how long does it take to play through the game once with four players?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    2. Just roughly, how long does it take to play through the game once with four players?

A couple hours on normal mode.

Then you're done. Because despite all the skin swaps, they've created a game where virtually every character player is identical to the next. Sure, the Red Knight has one slightly different attack from the Orange Knight, but it's all pretty much the same deal.

Kind of upsetting; so many characters, so many unlocks, and replaying the game feels like slogging through the same damned thing again. Great art, terrible character design.

s3rial one on
    edited August 2009
    I don't think bringing the game on a memory stick will work out for you, and this is why; when you buy content it's tied to the console you originally buy it on and the xbox live account you buy it with. On the original console you can use the content with any account, even without being connected to Live. If you use the purchasing xbox live account on another 360 you can use the content associated with it only while connected to xbox live.

If your pal doesn't have an internet connection hooked up to his xboxen you won't be able to access anything other than the trial version. One work around I could suggest is temporarily hooking his xbox up the the internet, moving your profile over and and buying it then. It'll be tied to his console to be used by any account, online or off, and tied to your account to be used as long as you're logged in and connected to the internet. However if you're ever without internet access, or want to play it with a different account, you'd be out of luck.

AngryPuppy on
    edited August 2009
    AngryPuppy wrote: »
    I don't think bringing the game on a memory stick will work out for you, and this is why; when you buy content it's tied to the console you originally buy it on and the xbox live account you buy it with. On the original console you can use the content with any account, even without being connected to Live. If you use the purchasing xbox live account on another 360 you can use the content associated with it only while connected to xbox live.

If your pal doesn't have an internet connection hooked up to his xboxen you won't be able to access anything other than the trial version. One work around I could suggest is temporarily hooking his xbox up the the internet, moving your profile over and and buying it then. It'll be tied to his console to be used by any account, online or off, and tied to your account to be used as long as you're logged in and connected to the internet. However if you're ever without internet access, or want to play it with a different account, you'd be out of luck.

:(

Bringing my harddrive over probably won't work either?

Honk on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Bringing your HD is fine.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    160 MS points seems reasonable for me for 2 extra characters, 2 extra weapons, and a new pet. I'll be downloading when I get more MS points (not sure when that will be).

unknownsome1 on
    edited August 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

Errr... no? Unless his friend's xbox is hooked up to the internet it's the same thing. His friend's console won't have the licence and his account won't help unless it's signed in to xbox live.

Edit: if you brought the console itself over that'd work fine but obviously it's not as handy to transport as a hard-drive or memory card. If your own xbox is perpetually signed into xbox live then purchasing content on your friend's console isn't a bad option, it's only if you don't have internet access or don't want to play with your main account it'll restrict you to the trial version.

You can use the license transfer tool on xbox.com once a year, so you could migrate the game licence to your own console some time down the line.

AngryPuppy on
    edited August 2009

Errr... no? Unless his friend's xbox is hooked up to the internet it's the same thing. His friend's console won't have the licence and his account won't help unless it's signed in to xbox live.

Edit: if you brought the console itself over that'd work fine but obviously it's not as handy to transport as a hard-drive or memory card. If your own xbox is perpetually signed into xbox live then purchasing content on your friend's console isn't a bad option, it's only if you don't have internet access or don't want to play with your main account it'll restrict you to the trial version.

You can use the license transfer tool on xbox.com once a year, so you could migrate the game licence to your own console some time down the line.

Um, I have done this plenty of times. I brought my HD to my friend's place, took his out, put mine in, and we played my arcade games.

Unless you are talking about being signed into each other's accounts to play the arcade game, then yes, you will have to transfer one of your accounts.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited August 2009
    I guess it's cheap enough to just try it. If that doesn't work then I'll bring my xbox over.

Honk on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    http://forums.thebehemoth.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7800 If you don't own CC or know someone who doesn't go there and be quick. They're giving out 100 codes.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    edited August 2009
    Aw damn, locked already.

urahonky on
    edited August 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Aw damn, locked already.

He'll unlock it soon. He locked it to make a blog post.

Rakai on
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Damn, I have been trying to get the friends I play Halo 3 and Left 4 Dead with to try this, but they don't seem to want to spring for it. One of these days I will get them...and on that day it will be glorious.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
    edited August 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Aw damn, locked already.

He'll unlock it soon. He locked it to make a blog post.

Saw that, but it's also crashing hard now :(

urahonky on
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Then I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can get there in time, and that the site isn't blocked at work.

edit: aaaand it's blocked. My friends are safe again...for now.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
    edited August 2009
    Thread is unlocked and site is up.

urahonky on
  • nikasaurnikasaur Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    man, I just haven't had the time to get home and get the update, but I'm fiendin' for my Necro action.
    Wait... Wait that sounded terrible.
    But I stand by it nonetheless.

nikasaur on
    edited August 2009
    From what I know, the Red Knight lightning is pretty cheap compared to the other magics in the game, no?

What say people on having arena battles?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    From what I know, the Red Knight lightning is pretty cheap compared to the other magics in the game, no?

What say people on having arena battles?

At max magic, the Red Knight is probably the strongest caster in the game, simply becuase the only way to dodge it is to never stay on the same horizontal level as he is on, making sword fighting and archery impossible.

zanmatto on
    edited August 2009
    I guess it's cheap enough to just try it. If that doesn't work then I'll bring my xbox over.

Let me know how it goes, I'd be happy to be wrong.

Redfield are you sure your friends xbox wasn't connected to the internet at the time? Or maybe your friend also owned the same game? If neither applies then I guess I'm stumped.

AngryPuppy on
    edited August 2009

Redfield are you sure your friends xbox wasn't connected to the internet at the time? Or maybe your friend also owned the same game? If neither applies then I guess I'm stumped.

I'll know for sure tomorrow hopefully, bought it today and will probably have a game night on saturday. I tried it out a little and this game is great!

I'll post back here when I find out.

Honk on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Even your friend owning the same game doesnt work. My friend has been coming over to play 2-player 'Splosion Man. He recovers his gamertag at my place and we play. He left his gamertag on my HD, because he didn't have internet at his place.

Both of us have 'Splosion Man, but we wanted to keep going with our progress, so when I went to play it at his house, we needed the save from my XBox.

I took my HD over there, and used it on his XBox. Dispite the fact that he has his own copy of 'Splosion Man, and was using his profile, it wouldn't let him do anything but a trial because it was my HD, and he didnt have the internet.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited August 2009
    Game night is on, I'm bringing an ethernet cable so if it doesn't work with just swapping HD's I can still hopefully get it to work.

Honk on
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    didn't realize it was so difficult for people to drop a few bucks on MS points to buy a game, the entire 3-page discussion is on how to xfer their accounts to play it somewhere else

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does online multiplayer work on this now? If so, I need to play.

I'll present the other side of the argument. No it certainly fucking doesn't. I can't even connect to a game or have a friend join my game.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've played online about 7-8 times, I've had no issues as of yet, but this was after the King dlc, so I don't know how it worked before. Haven't tried in awhile myself, after you finish the game and get all of the weapons/pets, it gets kinda stale.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Hillean wrote: »
    didn't realize it was so difficult for people to drop a few bucks on MS points to buy a game, the entire 3-page discussion is on how to xfer their accounts to play it somewhere else

I've already bought it... Why should I buy it one more time just because we want to play through it once on one gaming night we're having at a friends house?

Honk on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'll present the other side of the argument. No it certainly fucking doesn't. I can't even connect to a game or have a friend join my game.

Do a test on your connection (and your friends). Sounds like a NAT issue.

aBlank on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So the chainsaw sucks? Does it at least make awesome chainsaw sounds?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    aBlank wrote: »

Do a test on your connection (and your friends). Sounds like a NAT issue.

Done and done. Several times. Eh well, at least that issue has cleared up for most people.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man the skull mace doesn't have any stats but it crits like freaking crazy . I also don't mind the stats since alien knight is stuck using his starter weapon with no stats and it never really bothered me when I played as him. Also I never got the Medic! achievement so if anyone starts an insane mode run feel free to invite me.

EspantaPajaro on
    edited August 2009
    Okay so bringing the HD over did not work, I had to sign into Live with my account first.

T'was awesome fun!

Honk on
    edited September 2009
    Just played a few arena matches.

1. Four of us. Three of us are 30-50 in level. Another guy picks a level 99. You know how that went.

2. Guy sits on a level 1, so I pick my level 1 King. We have a really fun match.

3. Guy picks a level 60 something Metal Man wannabe. I pick my Level 50 Dragon Looking Guy. We have an epic battle. We each were down to our last hits. I think the fucking cat hit him and I ran in for the kill. Haha. I really thought he had me. He used a strategy that involved using the magic jump and I couldn't find a way to block it besides keeping space.

I never knew arena mode could be so fun. It was actually the first thing I played of Castle Crashers back at SD Comic-Con in 2008 and never really played it since. I am playing it now for the 40 win achievement. Almost 100% the game (achievement wise). Woo.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited September 2009
    They're sending out the free codes now if you posted in that thread. They're sent to PM's on the board.

Rakai on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I got mine, I already have the game so I probably will do some sort of contest to give it away to a lucky PA'er when I start my Let's Play back up again.

Xtarath on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone who still plays Castle Crashers who wants the Necromantic DLC, there are a ton of codes on the wall of the Behemoth and Castle Crashers Facebook page. They're just sitting there, waiting to be claimed.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!