As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

More Blu-Ray Bang for your Buck

HilleanHillean Registered User regular
So I've been thinking about taking the jump from DVD to Blu-ray, and was wondering about some good brands/versions that aren't TOO hard on the wallet. I just picked up a 52" widescreen, and a decent sound system, and the blu-ray would round it out nicely, but most of the money I planned to spend on home entertainment is pretty much outta here.

So, does anyone know what to avoid, or what I should be looking for?

greenguy1980.jpg
Hillean on

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you have enough money the PS3 is good value. What you should be looking for are anything that has the latest firmware or a way to upgrade the firmware efficiently (such as an ethernet port or wifi).

You really need to avoid the really early standalone players, they have old firmware, generally soso build quality and are prone to bricking if the firmware is updated.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll be seconding a PS3, currently there are some really good value deals as they try and move all of the PS3 fatties to make room for it's younger, more attractive sister.

Blake T on
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I agree with the PS3 suggestion.
    You can either get the big one now, or wait a few days and get the slim.

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll fourth the PS3.

There are cheaper BD players out now, but to match the quality the PS3 offers you'd still have to pay a lot more.

And then there's the whole Valkyria, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, etc. sort of thing.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not to mention the PSN, you can buy or rent movies and tv shows. Not that I've taken advantage of it, but you can.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pretty much solves that :D thanks!

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, as long as the first batch of PS3 slims do not have major hw issues, I'm getting one for my primary blu-ray player. Can't wait!

tachyon on