As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I hate my neighbor's dog

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How so? If it's cleared with his landlord, and Erandus is willing to front the cost (especially for a temporary barrier), then the only problems I forsee are those shitty Neighborhood associations and shit that rule the subdivision with an iron fist. Eg, All houses painted in <specific colors>. See what the landlord says, I say.

E: Really, it' doesn't have to be a property-encircling fence in the slightest. Since the dog is tied up, I'm assuming it either has an arc of range into Erandus' yard (eg, dog is staked, can wander around in a circular area), or it's on a run, in which case there is basically a rectangular area extending into the yard. Either way, a fence just long enough to block that will do fine, and if it's a smaller dog, the poultry wire will be hardly noticeable. You can even get green wire yard fencing in some places which blends into the surroundings nicely.

Or alternatively:
    T186_l.jpg
    With a neon "Welcome to the Neighborhood, Cocksucker" sign posted in the middle.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Get a motion sensitive sprinkler. Aim it at your property line. When he comes to steal your water he will be given more than he wants, when his dog comes to poop, he'll also get a surprise.

dispatch.o on
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    metroid remember a lot of neighborhoods forbid that sort of thing

From the thread, I don't think that'll be a problem. If it is, sic the guys on your neighbor.

evilmrhenry on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Do you have a Canon camera?
    I do not.

As an unexpected twist to the story, I looked at a house today that I am strongly considering buying. That would solve everything :D

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Erandus wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Do you have a Canon camera?
    I do not.

Aw damnit, because I was gonna say if you did you could use CHDK to make it into a motion camera.

FyreWulff on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hahaha
    I hate my neighbors dog, what do I do?
    Use Linux.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited August 2009
    Hahaha
    I hate my neighbors dog, what do I do?
    Use Linux.

sudo apt-get better_neighbor

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2009
    I called the cops again tonight. I also took a 30 second video (you cant see shit, it's night time, but you should be able to hear it) so everyone can enjoy it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've lived in a small town next to people like this. We used to call the cops ALL the time, and finally what one cop told us, and I swear this is true, was "when the owner's gone, make the dog "go away" and deny having any knowledge of the dog's status or location". I'm not endorsing this type of action, just giving people an idea of how small town cops feel about dealing with dumb ass dog owners. In the end you're probably going to have to do something drastic or just move somewhere else.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Keep calling the cops. You live in a tiny town, either they have nothing better to do and they'll do something, or they'll get sick of getting called all the time and will do something about it.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    The soundtrack of my life

This is 12-18 hours of every day of my life. The one pause in the video is as long as the barking ever truly stops for.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Also this might sound silly but can you see the dog and the dog can see you from one of your windows? If you get it to have a staring contest with you and make it look away, you can (sometimes) get it to stop barking.
    This is an actual technique we had to use with my uncle's boston terrier to get her to stop barking at everything

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2009
    We could see each other. I would have to draw it's attention to get it to look up. I may try this Jedi mind trick shit though, if I'm bored one day. :D

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Stare at it with a brick
    Don't actually do that. It'd be a waste of a brick

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    edited August 2009
    That dog needs some fucking attention.

Improvolone on
    edited August 2009
    Its not going to get it from a washed up old alcoholic.

I feel sorry for it, because he literally ties it up first thing in the morning and then ignores it for 18 hours other than to yell at it to 'shut the fuck up' once in a while, or to throw a loaf of bread at it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would cut the dog loose when the time was opportune.

Shogun on
    edited August 2009
    I've considered it many times, but it sort of requires stepping onto his property and fucking with his possessions. I'm not real hot to do that.

I did move the spot where it was staked out around to the other side of his house one night at like 2am when he'd forgotten to take it inside and the cops were too busy to come out.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ever watch the show Dexter (Serial Killer not kid genius)? See, what that show tells me to do (well, the one bit germane to this conversation... well, germane to the conversation and the least inappropriate) is to move the dog.

So when your neighbor goes off to be a poop santa, you are to run over, steal the dog, and bring it to you so that you can take it to some nice mother and two children who will love it and care for it. This way the dog can continue being an annoying creature... but do it in another part of the town. Of course, if it is too small a place, you may still hear it.

Now for the real advice! You're screwed. The cops will not do anything because there's nothing for them to do. It sounds like Fining the guy is useless unless they want to be paid in poop. The same problem comes if you were to consider civil lawsuits against the guy.

Now what may work out better is posting a big "NO TRESPASSING" sign above your spigot and then calling the cops on him when he does cross into your property. Pictures of him doing so would be helpful here.

Alternatively, get a dog repellent (as mentioned above) and some nice earplugs. Do you like music? Perhaps you can learn to fall asleep to some Wagner. Or at least have that blaring during the day "accidentally".

Lastly - just wait the 6 months.

EDIT - Ninja'ed... but with a "can't do that" instead of a "same idea"... is that still considered ninja? I guess it wouldn't.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    As an unexpected twist to the story, I looked at a house today that I am strongly considering buying. That would solve everything :D

So buying a new house and moving isn't too much effort, but contacting a lawyer and taking some kind a legal action is? You have a strange definition of "effort".

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
    edited August 2009
    A lawyer for something like this is pretty close to throwing away money.

Improvolone on
    edited August 2009

Are you a lawyer? Do you know state and local laws in his place of residence? Spending $100 for a hour worth of a lawyer's time to find out what his options are from a legal aspect is not throwing away money. It's being smart. Bitching about it here incessantly and posting videos on YouTube isn't going to resolve his issue, which seems is all he is willing to do. He's been given some good suggestions (for both dealing with the dog and the theft of services) but he doesn't seem to be taking any of them.

underdonk on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sit in your back yard and pat his dog

The Black Hunter on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    underdonk wrote: »

Are you a lawyer? Do you know state and local laws in his place of residence? Spending $100 for a hour worth of a lawyer's time to find out what his options are from a legal aspect is not throwing away money. It's being smart. Bitching about it here incessantly and posting videos on YouTube isn't going to resolve his issue, which seems is all he is willing to do. He's been given some good suggestions (for both dealing with the dog and the theft of services) but he doesn't seem to be taking any of them.

He isn't buying the house to get away from the guy. The OP will purchase a home regardless. If this menace to society known as a human being helps spur him on so be it. Going to a lawyer over a barking dog is waste of your time and the lawyer's.

Shogun on
    edited August 2009

So buying a new house and moving isn't too much effort, but contacting a lawyer and taking some kind a legal action is? You have a strange definition of "effort".

Buying the house and moving was something I wanted to do anyway. I am not buying a house and moving because I want to get away from my neighbor's dog, I am looking to buy a house and move because the house is fucking awesome and I can afford it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DictatorDictator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    IANAL but I'm pretty sure that it's illegal pretty much everywhere to shit in a bucket and dump it, tell the cops about that. "Guy throws his shit in the dumpster." has got to be breaking some serious health code laws and I would hope that it would get more attention then barking dog complaints. Of course if you move out anyway that's great, because if your landlord is struggling to fix things for financial reasons then it's probably time to go anyway.

Dictator on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dictator wrote: »
    IANAL but I'm pretty sure that it's illegal pretty much everywhere to shit in a bucket and dump it, tell the cops about that. "Guy throws his shit in the dumpster." has got to be breaking some serious health code laws and I would hope that it would get more attention then barking dog complains. Of course if you move out anyway that's great, because if your landlord is struggling to fix things for financial reasons then it's probably time to go anyway.

If you check out the webpage for your city hall there may be a place to report housing code violations directly from your computer. May be worth a shot if there are any actual issues with the place (like a lack of running water).

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
    edited August 2009

What could a lawyer do? Write a letter stating... what? What charges or fines regarding this dog are we dealing with? If the dog destroyed property he would have a civil suit. If the dog bit him on his property he would have a civil suit. The dog taking a shit on his law is not a civil suit.

Improvolone on
    edited August 2009

What could a lawyer do? Write a letter stating... what? What charges or fines regarding this dog are we dealing with? If the dog destroyed property he would have a civil suit. If the dog bit him on his property he would have a civil suit. The dog taking a shit on his law is not a civil suit.

I don't know, that's why you ask a lawyer.

underdonk on
    edited August 2009
    Dictator wrote: »
    IANAL but I'm pretty sure that it's illegal pretty much everywhere to shit in a bucket and dump it, tell the cops about that. "Guy throws his shit in the dumpster." has got to be breaking some serious health code laws and I would hope that it would get more attention then barking dog complaints.

They know. Very little has been done about it. There's basically no point in fining the guy, he has no income. And the cops in this town just really can't be bothered. Shit, they're only on duty from 10 am to 6pm. And there's only 2 of them. I don't know if I've made clear the fact that this town has a population comparable to many large high schools. I can literally see the entire town from the windows in my computer and bed rooms. Small town politics are a bitch.
    If you check out the webpage for your city hall there may be a place to report housing code violations directly from your computer. May be worth a shot if there are any actual issues with the place (like a lack of running water).

Interestingly, I did look into our city ordinances, and here it says:

"55.12 ANNOYANCE OR DISTURBANCE. It is unlawful for the owner of a dog to allow or permit such dog to cause serious annoyance or disturbance to any person or persons by frequent and habitual howling, yelping, barking, or otherwise; or, by running after or chasing persons, bicycles, automobiles or other vehicles. "

as well as

"55.11 DAMAGE OR INTERFERENCE. It is unlawful for the owner of an animal to allow or permit such animal to pass upon the premises of another thereby causing damage to, or interference with, the premises. "

I'm going to hit up city hall and the police trailer-station with this sometime this week.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    If the dog can come over to your property while on its leash, you don't have to go to his to cut it. Nevertheless I wouldn't, because unless you really hate animals you don't want to be responsible for the dog getting hit by a car or something.

Is the dog hostile toward you? Have you tried getting to know him at all? Bringing him treats and so forth, that sort of thing. Making his life a little less miserable might make him quieter.

Failing all that, a very cheap plastic fence might just be the way to go, and if you can turn off the water to that spigot you'll be in good shape. Make sure the fence is solidly on your property, though. You don't want him claiming it's on his, and if he tries to take it down it's suddenly destruction of someone else's property.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You don't even need to cut the leash.

Just unhook it.

Then claim "I don't know" when questioned about the police.

If that's the last time they will be called out to handle this dog situation they will be happy not to look very far.

A quick solution to stop the shitting is to buy a large bag of chili powder/flakes and sprinkle them onto the lawn.

It'll burn for a bit but it wont permanently hurt the dog.

Blake T on
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I feel sorry for it, because he literally ties it up first thing in the morning and then ignores it for 18 hours other than to yell at it to 'shut the fuck up' once in a while, or to throw a loaf of bread at it.

Put an AD in the paper and try and find someone who wants the dog. Once you find your contact, Dexter the dog to a loving family.

Some people should not own dogs / or breed, your neighbor is one of those people.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    edited August 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    A quick solution to stop the shitting is to buy a large bag of chili powder/flakes and sprinkle them onto the lawn.

Chili powder on the lawn would actually affect the dog while it crapped? My grass is pretty short, he doesn't exactly drag his butt on the ground. I hadn't heard that 'remedy' before.

I guess befriending and giving some attention to the dog might "help" but man.. I don't own a dog for a reason. The last thing I want to do is try to play with and train someone else's. I got shit to do :D

I'm going into work late this morning so I can go talk to the police face to face and try to force some kind of results. My wife is having shoulder surgery and is going to have to take like a week off work to basically sleep. She's going to be in a lot of pain and if this thing wont shut up and give her some peace, she may go do something drastic.

I have the city ordinances to refer to, a photo of the loaf of bread in front of it's dog house, and I'll make sure they know about the dog shit.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That dog needs some fucking attention.
    Yeah, that dog is probably not living in the best conditions, and if he's living on bread alone, not gonna be too healthy either.

Maybe if there's a city nearby you can contact their ASPCA and they can do what they do.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Well, the police officer wasn't on duty this morning, apparently he's only working afternoons this week. Jeez, must be nice work, if you can get it. I'll have to try and catch him this afternoon.

The dog also gets a lot of table scraps and leftovers. I think he just got thrown a loaf of bread when my neighbor was broke (which is admittedly often). Still, he's not getting anything remotely resembling a healthy diet. If the cops won't do anything, I'll change to the ASPCA route.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've considered it many times, but it sort of requires stepping onto his property and fucking with his possessions. I'm not real hot to do that.

I did move the spot where it was staked out around to the other side of his house one night at like 2am when he'd forgotten to take it inside and the cops were too busy to come out.
    am i the only one confused by this? you're opposed to "stepping on this property and fucking with his possessions", yet your very next statement describes you doing exactly that.

you could always try the lawsuit bluff. just go over there and pound on his door and basically tell him that you're tired of having to call the cops on his irresponsible, incosiderate ass and you're going to file a civil suit against him. if he's as broke as you say he is, you know he won't be able to afford a lawyer. he will know this too, and might cave. at the very least i think it would get him to comply for an extended period of time.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
    edited September 2009

am i the only one confused by this? you're opposed to "stepping on this property and fucking with his possessions", yet your very next statement describes you doing exactly that.

I know, I know. It was 3 in the fucking morning though, the dog had been howling non stop for 5 hours, the dude was passed out drunk, and I couldn't take it anymore. And I think there's a slight difference between moving the dog to the other side of the house and unhooking it and letting it run off.
    you could always try the lawsuit bluff. just go over there and pound on his door and basically tell him that you're tired of having to call the cops on his irresponsible, incosiderate ass and you're going to file a civil suit against him. if he's as broke as you say he is, you know he won't be able to afford a lawyer. he will know this too, and might cave. at the very least i think it would get him to comply for an extended period of time.

Dude has like 13 OWI's and no money. I really dont think he's very worried about going to civil court.

I went to the police trailer this morning at 8am and no one was there. I called the county sherrif's dispatcher (covers my town when our police are off duty) and they said he'd be there in the afternoon. I get home at 5pm and went to the police trailer and no one was there. When the fuck does our police force actually work?

Supposedly they're going to have him call me as soon as he comes back on duty. I dont want to do this shit over the phone though, so I'm going to demand that he give me some face time, and I'm going to express my deepest concerns that this shit fucking end.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know, I know. It was 3 in the fucking morning though, the dog had been howling non stop for 5 hours, the dude was passed out drunk, and I couldn't take it anymore. And I think there's a slight difference between moving the dog to the other side of the house and unhooking it and letting it run off.
    i'm not condemning what you did or judging you for it. personally, i would "dexter" the dog off to someone as has been suggested by others. i just found the conflicting statements ... conflicting.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Town is probably too small to re-adopt the dog without him figuring out who got it.

FyreWulff on