As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Infinity Engine: All Good Things Begin And End With Breach

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    thaco isn't very hard to figure out really

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    You need a slide rule to figure out THAC0.

Or, you know, knowledge of the arcane arts
    such as subtraction

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    3ED always seemed easier to me when we played P&P. We didn't try to min-max or anything like that though.

Edit: I guess it's pretty much the same thing.
    While some players mourned the loss of the THAC0 system in the change to 3rd Edition D&D, many welcomed the new system, which replaces THAC0 with a bonus to the attack roll called base attack bonus (in short BAB) and features an armor class rating that increases as it becomes harder to hit a creature. However, mathematically both systems are equivalent and the THAC0 and AC values of AD&D can be easily transformed to the AC and base attack bonus values of the later edition.
    BAB = 20 - THAC0
    THAC0 = 20 - BAB
    3rd Edition Armor Class = 20 - 2nd Edition Armor Class
    2nd Edition Armor Class = 20 - 3rd Edition Armor Class

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It is the same thing.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Personally I think it's easier to add up all the numbers and compare. I also think multiplication is easier than division and derivatives are easier than integrals.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Personally I think it's easier to add up all the numbers and compare.

When I say that 2e is a simpler system, I'm not talking about attack rolls, which are basically the same thing. I'm talking about the structure of the game, monster statblocks, combat, character builds. 3e is nightmarishly open ended and yet thoroughly linear because of its reliance on numbers.

That said, I've played more D&D 3e campaigns than AD&D ones, and on the tabletop, there's no advantage to using 2e over 3e since the DM can do whatever he wants, really. Its just that when translated to video game form, the result seems to always be linear and dull.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    When 3ED came out I wanted to play a monk and my friend wanted to play a barbarian. My DM didn't want to let go of 2ED rules since he had used them for years, so he tried to do a sort of hybridized campaign. This was before they made the 3.5 changes to monk, so I didn't end up being too overpowered, but the barbarian...my god.

The barbarian ruined the campaign. No matter what the DM threw at him he just killed it. The final straw came when the barbarian single-handedly slew a dragon that the rest of us failed to hit the whole fight.

The barbarian was level 7.

I liked that you could fail a rez save in 2ED. My monk had his head bashed in by an ogre's club and failed the save. Everyone at the table was shocked, and the DM said we could fudge the roll, but I let the character stay dead. Why make the roll part of the game if the consequences aren't real?

langfor6 on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Coinage wrote: »
    Thanks guys, that makes more sense now I didn't realize the rounds divided by 10, although that sort of seems like making things unnecessarily complicated.

And boo to Imoen only being level 11 from Spellhold! Jan was 15 thief/14 mage from all my questing! She should get the same amount of experience I have. I would cheat it but since Bioware knew I could do all that stuff in Atkathla beforehand it would feel like really cheating.

... I always xp-cheated Imoen up to the right level. :?

hippofant on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Then I will cheat her too!

Coinage on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also put five more thieving points somewhere on her. She's shortchanged a tad.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I need a BG2 fix, but I already played this year so it's a little too fresh in memory to go at it again.

It's like one of the best fucking games ever and yet game developers aren't tripping all over themselves to copy its formula. Fucking failures.

Hoz on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Anybody know a way of solving edwin bug where he does not get a speed boost from boots of speed?

Ethea on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I... I've never seen that bug happen before. Do you have Free Action active or something? That cancels out Boots of Speed as well.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ethea wrote: »
    Anybody know a way of solving edwin bug where he does not get a speed boost from boots of speed?

take off that ring of free action.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

that is not the problem since I already know of that interaction. The bug is a conflict between the sex change scripts and the boots of speed.

Ethea on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

that is not the problem since I already know of that interaction. The bug is a conflict between the sex change scripts and the boots of speed.

Edit:

Found the issue on baldurdash "Edwin's avatar has animation errors (Boots Of Speed no longer work, 'floats' when walking and battle animation is strange) after the Nether Scroll transformation, and the errors are not removed when he is restored."

lets hope the patch works.

Ethea on
  • Options
    DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Don't use Baldurdash, it's pretty old and no longer updated. I recommend picking up the Gibberlings 3 fixpack, it is more extensive, up to date, and even has some of Ease of Use features available to install with it.

DozingDragon on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just started playing Baldur's gate 2 for the first time. I've never played an IE game or done much with tabletop D&D before. It's cool but I feel like everything takes a laborious amount of time: Walk slowly into new room, detect traps, wait, advance slowly, open each chest after picking locks, distribute each item around your party so that nobody is overweight and nobody is carrying more than their allowed 20 slots (or w/e), etc. If I'm not careful the traps slay me instantly. Combat is pretty rough, too: most of the time I need to micromanage and then rest after the fight. I'm still in the first dungeon, which I know is long, but is the gameplay really slow-going like this for the whole game? It'd be nice if some of this stuff were automatic or something.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I just started playing Baldur's gate 2 for the first time. I've never played an IE game or done much with tabletop D&D before. It's cool but I feel like everything takes a laborious amount of time: Walk slowly into new room, detect traps, wait, advance slowly, open each chest after picking locks, distribute each item around your party so that nobody is overweight and nobody is carrying more than their allowed 20 slots (or w/e), etc. If I'm not careful the traps slay me instantly. Combat is pretty rough, too: most of the time I need to micromanage and then rest after the fight. I'm still in the first dungeon, which I know is long, but is the gameplay really slow-going like this for the whole game? It'd be nice if some of this stuff were automatic or something.

Finding traps can be slow if you haven't played the game and don't know where they are already.

As for combat, you basically need to just figure out which fights can be accomplished by hack and slash, and which ones you need to micro. Generally, if they have casters, or monsters that aren't basic cannon fodder, you'll want to use strategy. If its a bunch of orcs or thugs, you don't need to plan as much.

Its AD&D, so you'll have to rest quite a bit.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Cheat up a Bag of Holding? (Fuck inventory management...)

hippofant on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Finding traps is dumb and honestly, best cheesed using quicksave/quickload. If you're in a trap heavy area just save often and quickload only if something kills you.

edit: also, while I advocate playing irenicus' dungeon if this is your first time playing because there are some neat things there and plot points and so on, it sucks. There is a reason there are mods that let you just skip it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Have you used the config program to set FPS to 60? It will slightly break some cut-scenes (the game was designed for 30 FPS), but everything will be running twice as fast.

I don't think there are that many deadly traps in Baldur's Gate II, so if you can give up the very small experience bonus, just don't bother.

Inventory management get a bit easier because you get items that can hold a lot of items and because pretty soon you'll be too rich to bother carrying around anything that you're not going to use or you can't sell for a lot of money.

Combat should only be management heavy in difficulty fights, as your fighters should automatically attack the next target, if they don't hit "A" to make sure the party AI is enabled. You can give your characters AI scripts that lets them use spells, drink potions and such, but it's really not recommended. Using limited use items (potions, wands) could make fights easier and require you to rest less.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alternately you could go back and play the first Baldur's Gate. By comparison you will feel like your guys are gliding around everywhere.

In all honesty though, I always liked my FPS setting at 45. 60 felt too fast and the default setting does seem slow.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Don't use Baldurdash, it's pretty old and no longer updated. I recommend picking up the Gibberlings 3 fixpack, it is more extensive, up to date, and even has some of Ease of Use features available to install with it.

I had to shadowkeeper edwin and remove both references to sex change to get him to walk properly & be able to use the boots of speed.

Ethea on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

If you haven't yet, one thing to do with traps is set the game's auto-pause settings to pause when a trap is detected (auto-pausing when enemies are spotted is helpful too). It makes a world of difference.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I accidentally killed the chief guy I was supposed to meet to overthrow the King in Sahuagin City (he should not be within ranged distance of the zombie pit!), is there any way I can find out what the game named him to respawn him via console? Google has not provided me with much help, as I don't think it's a problem a lot of people have had.

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think you get the required items to proceed with the game anyway, and killing everyone in the city is optimal. So what's the problem?

Zell on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does anyone sell PS:T? I really want a legitimate copy, since piracy rarely ever flies well with me. Also, how hard is to get running?

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Zell wrote: »
    I think you get the required items to proceed with the game anyway, and killing everyone in the city is optimal. So what's the problem?
    I am a noble Paladin and wanted to overthrow a tyrant, but I was being lazy and quicksaving, and the last autosave was before I got the pirate horn. :( It's not a big deal, I was just wondering if it were easily possible at all.
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Does anyone sell PS:T? I really want a legitimate copy, since piracy rarely ever flies well with me. Also, how hard is to get running?
    It's almost always available on eBay, as long as you're will to pay around $60. I don't think you can find it anywhere else. I've heard it actually runs very well on Vista.

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Amazon. $60+

Thats only about 10 more than I payed for it.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    How will I know if the Jaheira romance is bugged, and how do I fix it? I'm using the latest official patch and FixPack v1.12 from Baldurdash.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

Ebay and it's easy to run

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    How will I know if the Jaheira romance is bugged, and how do I fix it? I'm using the latest official patch and FixPack v1.12 from Baldurdash.

It's a pain in the ass. There's a whole shitload of variables in Jaheira's romance, both global and local, and if any of them fall out of sync, there's a chance the romance goes to hell. A lot of them are named reasonably, but otherwise, the Shadowkeeper forums might help.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Coinage wrote:
    I am a noble Paladin and wanted to overthrow a tyrant, but I was being lazy and quicksaving, and the last autosave was before I got the pirate horn. It's not a big deal, I was just wondering if it were easily possible at all.
    Pretty sure they're both evil, so killing both of them should be noble enough.
    Mortal Sky wrote:
    Patch, disable directdraw acceleration. Same as all Infinity Engine games really.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Coinage wrote:
    I am a noble Paladin and wanted to overthrow a tyrant, but I was being lazy and quicksaving, and the last autosave was before I got the pirate horn. It's not a big deal, I was just wondering if it were easily possible at all.
    Mortal Sky wrote:
    Patch, disable directdraw acceleration. Same as all Infinity Engine games really.

stop telling people to disable directdraw acceleration, it really doesn't effect IE games at all.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Coinage wrote:
    Mortal Sky wrote:

stop telling people to disable directdraw acceleration, it really doesn't effect IE games at all.

If you're using intel graphics, it makes them significantly more playable without it.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    Coinage wrote:
    Mortal Sky wrote:

If you're using intel graphics, it makes them significantly more playable without it.

oh i forget those pesky chips still exist, my bad.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Same with nvidia cards really, on my 8800GT it has reduced slowdown in Baldur's Gate II, massively reduced slowdown in Icewind Dale II, made Planescape Torment stop crashing constantly and fixed all those graphic bugs the new nvidia drivers cause in all the games. This being the setting that doesn't effect anything at all.

Maybe ATI cards have no problems running Infinity Engine games flawlessly, but it's still a very good troubleshooting step.

Zell on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My nvidia 7900 gt won't even run BG2 with directdraw on. With directdraw off, it's fine.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I took a look at Dragon Age to see if waiting for that would be a good way to satiate my RPG lust, and I think I'm going to go ahead and just play BG2 again.

Hoz on