As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo 3: ODST - Prepare To Drop (Out Tuesday)

WillethWilleth Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
Halo 3

3610198051_46f59b83ce_o.jpg
Established November 9th, 2004

3.jpg
OUT NOW
Halo 3 is a first-person shooter, the third in the trilogy after Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2. You are the Master Chief, an artifically-augmented seven-foot supersoldier known as a Spartan to the United Nations Space Command Marine Corps and the Demon to the Covenant, a collected alien force made up of several different races. The Covenant believe that their purpose is to usher in Judgement Day, based on the teachings of the Prophets, of which only one remains. To do this, they must light the Halos, structures in space. Their real purpose, however, is to extinguish all sentient life in the universe, as they are a last resort weapon created by an ancient race, to eliminate any food source for the all-consuming hyperintelligent parasite known as the Flood.
wars.jpg
OUT NOW
Halo Wars is a real-time strategy game developed by Ensemble, the company behind Age of Empires. It takes place before the events of Halo: Combat Evolved, and tells the story of the previous Arbiter of the Covenant and the battle for control of the planet Harvest. The Covenant have uncovered a Forerunner artifact that leads to a site now occupied by humans. After travelling from planet to planet, a plot is uncovered that could threaten the survival of humanity.
odst.jpg
AVAILABLE WORLDWIDE SEPT 22 2009
Halo 3: ODST is also a first-person shooter. You are the Rookie, an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper deployed to New Mombasa in Africa at the same time the Master Chief is fighting there in Halo 2. The Prophet of Regret's ship enters slipspace as your pod falls to earth, and the ensuing blast throws the city into disarray and separates you from the other four members of your squad. You wake up at night in the city, and are tasked with finding clues in the open world to the whereabouts of the rest of the squad, and relive their experiences through playable flashbacks.

Halo 3: ODST comes with two discs. One contains the ODST campaign, and a Horde-esque co-operative multiplayer mode for four people called Firefight. As time progresses, gameplay modifiers are added such as the enemies throwing more grenades or your HUD vanishing. If the team wipes, it's game over.
The second disc (known as Halo 3:Mythic) contains the standard Halo 3 multiplayer that we know and love, as well as all previous free and paid DLC maps. Also included are three new maps, Citadel, Longshore and Heretic. This disc is fully compatible with anyone playing vanilla Halo 3 multiplayer and has all the features you'd expect except for the Halo 3 campaign.

Still confused? Charts usually solve that problem - at least, for me.
justbuyodst-formal.png

reach.jpg
AVAILABLE TBA 2010
Halo: Reach is a first-person shooter. Little is known at this time, other than it takes place immediately before the events of Halo: Combat Evolved, and will tell the story of the attack on the human-occupied and defensive cornerstone planet Reach by the Covenant. A multiplayer beta of Halo: Reach will be included with Halo: ODST.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
@gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
Willeth on

• WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "I'm not here for that campaign nonsense! I'm here to play online with cool dudes," I hear you cry, in that unlovely way of yours. Well, you're in luck! TBK, The Bees' Knees, have been around since 2004 and take their name from the Halo 2 ARG, 'I Love Bees'. No matter what gametype you like playing, you'll find someone who shares your interests here to team up with. Unless you play Lone Wolves, in which case you'll have trouble teaming up.

You don't need the paid maps to play with us, and if you don't have them already, I'd suggest not buying them, as they all come packaged for free with Halo 3: ODST in September, as described in the post above. However, there's no reason not to grab the free maps, and if you want to grab the paid ones, these images will come in quite handy.
    heroic_download.png coldstorage_download.png
    legendary_download.png mythic_download.png

Also maps for Halo Wars if you care I guess:

halowarsmappack.jpg

The Usual Suspects:

fyre.jpg thrill.jpg lookfree.jpg x.jpg kor.jpg teaparty.jpgratsult.jpg viscount.jpg browncoat.jpg tomcat.jpg yardgnome.jpg ghost.jpg beeb.jpg pancake.jpg spider.jpg muffin.jpg degami.jpg dogeight.jpg

--

willeth.jpg yorker.jpg
    colonel.jpg major.jpg

Things you need to know ahead of time: Yorker is mute, X is diabetic, Major Leitner is annoying, and Beeb is only here for comic relief.

This list collates the more active folks - there are many others, and you can become one of them very easily. Post in the thread, say hi, add a few of us as friends and play some games with us. As long as you're not the typical shit-flinging retard that Xbox Live seems to cultivate, you're welcome to do so and to call yourself a Bee.
    This week's DEXP Weekend Playlist is Rocket Race
    Get your passenger to the goal.
    Teams of two. One person drives, one rides shotgun, in Mongooses.
    Invulerable players and vehicles. Infinite rockets, no other weapons. Driver cannot score. VIP cannot drive but can score.
    Heroic and Legendary required. Team size: 2. Max party size: 8.
    The current regular playlists are here.

Willeth on
  • Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    First!

But seriously, looking forward to another great thread with you guys.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Back just in time it seems. I hope I didn't miss out on too many awesome customs last night.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy damn lookit all dat members

also kor you didn't miss anything except me and pancake getting to 15 in doubles

seriously who the hell hides with the flamethrower and missile pod on construct

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When ODST comes out, I'm falling off the wagon.

Or is it getting back on the wagon? I've always hated the wagon analogy.

Whichever one means I'll be playing Halo 3 online again.

UnbreakableVow on
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    High quality OP. A++, would see again.

OmnomnomPancake on
    edited August 2009
    4 Canadians, we're slowly taking over.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
    edited August 2009
    If this was Risk, I'd ally with Norway for the Eastern hold.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sigh. If I had a proper sized box my xbox would be on its way to getting repaired now.

I really should get on that.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nice job, Willeth. And a big thanks for welcoming me into your bosom, Bees. Looking forward to many more games with you scoundrels.
    Heh. Bosom.

DogEight on
    edited August 2009
    You're welcome into my bosom any day.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009

You don't need to interact with a wagon in any way that makes you feel uncomfortable.

You're DesmondHumeWins, right? You, DogEight and Pancake have like every goddamn Shadow Complex record on my list, it's infuriating.

Willeth on
    edited August 2009
    Anyone know who BeastModeOn is? He says hes from PA but I don't think hes posted before.

Spartan 0092 on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait, does the Reach beta start the day ODST is released?

UEAKCrash on
    edited August 2009
    Nope. Some unspecified time in 2010.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

You don't need to interact with a wagon in any way that makes you feel uncomfortable.

You're DesmondHumeWins, right? You, DogEight and Pancake have like every goddamn Shadow Complex record on my list, it's infuriating.

8-)

UnbreakableVow on
    edited August 2009
    El Extremo wrote: »
    Nope. Some unspecified time in 2010.

Damn.

I got really stoked there for a second.

UEAKCrash on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

If I had to guess I'd say it's going to be like the Halo 3 beta in Crackdown - It will be there, as a menu option, taunting you for months before you actually get to download it.

EDIT: also beated...by like 30 mins, need to learn to read :P

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DogEight wrote: »
    Nice job, Willeth. And a big thanks for welcoming me into your bosom, Bees. Looking forward to many more games with you scoundrels.
    Heh. Bosom.

(I'm going to hell for this one)

Hot bosom on bosom action
    Anyone know who BeastModeOn is? He says hes from PA but I don't think hes posted before.

MR BEASTMODEON! please post here! thank you.

Viscountalpha on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fancy.

Jumping on soonish.

(thanks or sorting out the pic Willeth)

Leitner on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It occurs to me that I actually have a couple of you guys on my Friends List, but I've never played with you outside of once or twice. Do you meet up at specific times, or should I just send a plaintive "let me in your game!" message to whoever if I see you're playing?

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited August 2009

I'm pretty much cemented on the Goomba-Punting.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy damn lookit all dat members

also kor you didn't miss anything except me and pancake getting to 15 in doubles

seriously who the hell hides with the flamethrower and missile pod on construct

Yea, I was being the coach, helping them with doubles strats. That match though... I got a little quiet. (WTF? I don't know what I'd do)

Ratsult2 on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bursar wrote: »
    It occurs to me that I actually have a couple of you guys on my Friends List, but I've never played with you outside of once or twice. Do you meet up at specific times, or should I just send a plaintive "let me in your game!" message to whoever if I see you're playing?

Just ask for an invite here, except me. I'm MIA as far as halo is concerned for the time being.

Viscountalpha on
    edited August 2009
    Bursar wrote: »

The members list in the OP is split roughly by nationality, and therefore by when we play. We have a few US guys who play early and myself and Yorker have been known to play far later than we should, though. Just fire off a friend request to a few of us and attach a message saying you're from PA with your username here, and just join a Live party when we've got one going on. Most of the time we'll be Haloing together, but even if we're not, we're obviously not opposed to the idea. There's always room for more Bees.
    Leitner wrote: »
    (thanks or sorting out the pic Willeth)

That was actually awesome as hell. If you watch the film from where the camera is in the shot, one guy lunges at you with the sword, and you dodge and melee him for a kill. The guy in the background sees you and runs for you, and you pick up the sword dropped by the previous guy and run him through with its last charge.

Willeth on
  • rorrrorr Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I stopped playing doubles a year ago after I was stand-by cheated on oddball construct. Not fun when it goes to black screen, come back and they have the ball +20 seconds.

rorr on
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We have a few US guys who play early and myself and Yorker have been known to play far later than we should, though.

Sadly my schedule doesn't really allow for much 5 AM Halo any more, I'm looking forward to pulling a few all-night ODST co-op/Firefight sessions when that time comes though.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • RepoMan1023RepoMan1023 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why is there no TBK in the thread title?

RepoMan1023 on
    splasersigqg6.jpg
    RepoMan1023.gif
    edited August 2009
    if you don't know it's TBK, you should have read the OP?

OmnomnomPancake on
    edited August 2009
    Because it's almost New Halo O'Clock, and I didn't want to scare anyone away from talking about ODST because the thread seems to be designated for our own little clique. We've already had a bunch of people express interest who've never done before because there's a new game on the way, I don't want to discourage that with a new game on the way.

Willeth on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why is there no TBK in the thread title?

Making it more open. It's less off putting to newcomers - which we'll be getting a lot of I imagine when ODST drops?

Leitner on
  • RepoMan1023RepoMan1023 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    if you don't know it's TBK, you should have read the OP?
    Nah. It's many cuz I don't have time to come to these boards as often as I used to, so I just skim through the thread titles till I see one with "TBK XXwhateva" in the title and not "Halo." I completely missed this one and when to the old one on the second page instead.

RepoMan1023 on
    splasersigqg6.jpg
    RepoMan1023.gif
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

If I had to guess I'd say it's going to be like the Halo 3 beta in Crackdown - It will be there, as a menu option, taunting you for months before you actually get to download it.

EDIT: also beated...by like 30 mins, need to learn to read :P

The official story is that Halo 3: ODST's main menu looks something like

Campaign
    Firefight
    Theater

Extras

with Extras lighting up once the Reach beta goes live.

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2009
    Well, we're not numbering them any more, either. I think the fact that it's been a clan thread has also been why we've been wandering off topic and getting smacked for it - I'm sure people want to talk Halo, but have come into the thread and seen people talking about Turtles or whatever, and it's a barrier.

Also, I just realised Badman isn't in the OP. Damn.

EDIT: Fyre, I was under the impression that Extras had stuff like ViDocs and the credits in it as well as the beta.

Willeth on
    edited August 2009
    I should like... Play Halo with you guys. I've had a few of you on my list forever, but maybe only played once a long time ago?

UEAKCrash on
    edited August 2009
    Actually when I experimented before, more newcomers come post in the thread without TBK in the title.

Also I should make a download pic for the Halo Wars maps. What do you mean gametypes? I never heard of no DLC gametypes.

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2009
    Have you even played the Wars maps yet, Fyre? Are you the only one who still plays the game, even?

Willeth on
    edited August 2009
    No, but that's because I've been kinda crushed by a crap ton of Halo 3 activity. I'm going to switch over to mostly playing Halo Wars here soon until ODST comes out.

But more people than I play it regularly:

Thrill
    Lookfree
    JP
    Pancake
    Rat (if he ever gets his disc back)

FyreWulff on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I haven't played much of halo wars recently, but its still fun.

Also we keep an open door policy. Send us a friend request and if you see us in a party join up, If there's 8 of us already we'll probably just whine a bit and play customs

also I should probably tone down on the late nights. Fucking killing my sleep schedule

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    El Extremo wrote: »
    You're welcome into my bosom any day.

a/s/l? :winky:

Ahem. Anyways....in the interest of on-topic: My truskill rank of 13 has been especially taunting me lately and I plan to slap it around the head and neck this week. So if anyone sees me subjecting myself to random shit-flinging retards in a ranked list, you're more than welcome to join in/save me.

DogEight on
This discussion has been closed.