As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Asus Data Security Manager

WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
Anyone have experience with this utility, because it is completely confusing the hell out of me, i'm about ready to just uninstall the thing. It came included with my Asus G51vx Laptop I just got, and it was easy geting files INTO the "vault", but man, trying to view or do anything with those files once they were inside was a practice in futility.

I was under the impression that the Security Manager was basically a protected area you could store files you wouldn't want anyone to see but yourself. I figured you would be able to type in your PW, and then have access to those "hidden" files.

That doesn't seem to be the case, once those files are in there, the only way you can access them is to completely extract them from the vault, which makes me wonder what the hell the point is. The de-encryption process isn't fast by any stretch of the imagination, so either i'm using this utility incorrectly, or I just need to get rid of it all-together.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Wavechaser on

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't have experience with Asus's encrypter in particular, but judging from their horrible user manual (warning: PDF), that does indeed appear to be the case. You need to decrypt files individually just to view them o_O

It's tied to your Windows account, I think.

I think you will find Truecrypt or Microsoft's own Bitlocker more useful if being able to just type in your PW to access files is what you want.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif