As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thinking of getting a PSP.

2»

• Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cool thanks, Puzzle quest is defiantly on the list.

Venkman90 on
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    -DJ MAX Fever($20 now, no excuse!)
    -Lumines 1 or 2, ideally 2(lots more content)
    -MGS Portable
    -Initial D Street Stage(dirt cheap import port of Initial D V3)
    -Wild Arms XF
    -Puzzle Quest(this version looks the sharpest)
    -Prinny (hardcore platformer, if you even remotely like Disgaea, this is very worth a play or six)
    -FF Dissidia
    -FF Crisis Core
    -FF Tactics

Really, any of the FF PSP games, even the remakes of 1 & 2 are gorgeous.

A few questions:

1. How much more content does FF:T have in compared to the PS1 version?
    2. When I saw a video for Prinny, it looked pretty bland. How does it actually play?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zython wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    -DJ MAX Fever($20 now, no excuse!)
    -Lumines 1 or 2, ideally 2(lots more content)
    -MGS Portable
    -Initial D Street Stage(dirt cheap import port of Initial D V3)
    -Wild Arms XF
    -Puzzle Quest(this version looks the sharpest)
    -Prinny (hardcore platformer, if you even remotely like Disgaea, this is very worth a play or six)
    -FF Dissidia
    -FF Crisis Core
    -FF Tactics

Really, any of the FF PSP games, even the remakes of 1 & 2 are gorgeous.

A few questions:

1. How much more content does FF:T have in compared to the PS1 version?
    2. When I saw a video for Prinny, it looked pretty bland. How does it actually play?

1. Beautiful new cutscenes, new translation, and some Balthier guy. The first two are easily worth it, even if the game runs like molasses for some reason.

This will sell you on it.

2. It is pretty simple, but it makes up for it in style. The dialogue is hilarious(Darth Moab has to be seen to be believed), and the VAs were in top form. It's a lot harder than it looks, and there's lots of extra content.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Monster Hunter

Everyone with a PSP should have monster hunter, but on the Go the already hard to control camera is going to be a nightmare. The placement of the DPAD and the tiny size of the unit means you aren't going to be able to claw grip the DPAD and will be reduced to either moving or turning the camera. I mean, it's a great game, but the new control layout on the Go is going to make is hard to play.

-Loki- on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Why is that so? What is it DEFYING? How can a game do anything in a DEFIANT manner?

I am DEFINITELY flabbergasted with these shenanigans.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Monster Hunter

Everyone with a PSP should have monster hunter, but on the Go the already hard to control camera is going to be a nightmare. The placement of the DPAD and the tiny size of the unit means you aren't going to be able to claw grip the DPAD and will be reduced to either moving or turning the camera. I mean, it's a great game, but the new control layout on the Go is going to make is hard to play.

I am pretty sure I never "claw gripped" it on the old PSP either... I think I just used the camera center button a lot

Venkman90 on
    edited August 2009

Why is that so? What is it DEFYING? How can a game do anything in a DEFIANT manner?

I am DEFINITELY flabbergasted with these shenanigans.

Thank-you uncle fucking spell-check :^:

Venkman90 on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Monster Hunter

I am pretty sure I never "claw gripped" it on the old PSP either... I think I just used the camera center button a lot

It makes fights easier if you can manage to turn the camera while running, to see if the thing with big nasty teeth is following you.

-Loki- on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I picked up Monster Hunter in Japan. The Japanese kicked my butt pretty bad and that is a game designed for more than one person and I had no one to play with at the time. But I must admit if you have the friends, the monster hunter series owns.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited August 2009
    The Elder quests are designed to be solo'd, as far as I can tell. Only the Gathering Hall quests are designed for multiplayer.

-Loki- on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    On my PSP-2000 I notice that anything black seems to "bleed" a slight black afterimage. Haven't noticed other artifacting. Like with monitors, it's possible not all LCD panels are equal, even within the same series of PSP.

Example: I have two LG L227WTG monitors on my desk next to each other right now, one from a later manufacturing run. The second undeniably has an inferior LCD panel with limited viewing angles, different colors, and a brighter display than the first. Luckily it's a secondary display and had come down in price, so it's acceptable.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DusT_HounD wrote: »
    Getting back to the Go, does anyone know if Sony are doing anything about letting people transfer their UMDs to it? Like having a separate UMD drive or whatever?
    While I dont know the EXACT method, they did release an official statement that they will have a sort of transfer method. Unfortunately it will be only for the more popular games covered like crisis core, ratchet and clank, etc. Which actually strayed me away from getting a GO and using my dropped in the toilet PsP voucher for a 3000.

As far as the ghosting argument I honestly never noticed it, but i'm sure some games would be more noticeable than others.

Roxtar on
    edited August 2009
    Roxtar wrote: »
    DusT_HounD wrote: »
    Getting back to the Go, does anyone know if Sony are doing anything about letting people transfer their UMDs to it? Like having a separate UMD drive or whatever?
    While I dont know the EXACT method, they did release an official statement that they will have a sort of transfer method. Unfortunately it will be only for the more popular games covered like crisis core, ratchet and clank, etc. Which actually strayed me away from getting a GO and using my dropped in the toilet PsP voucher for a 3000.

When did they say it would only cover the more popular games? The only thing I heard was they were setting up a 'good will' program to let you get digital copies of games you own.

-Loki- on
    edited August 2009
    Quoted from Gizmodo article:

So what will happen to all of your old UMD games if you buy a PSP Go? You'll be able to procure digital copies of those discs, maybe even for free.

I asked Sony's John Koller, Director of Hardware Marketing for Sony, what the company planned to do for their most loyal fanbase—those who'd amassed a large collection of UMDs but who'd also like to play these games on the Go. His response:

We're in the midst of putting together a good will program. We'll be unveiling that soon [because] we actually think there's a significant group that will be upgrading from the 1000...In the past, we've seen a 20-25% trade-up factor, and I assume that's going to be the case here. We've modeled that. So we're looking at a good-will program—a short term good-will program that would continue for years afterward."
    Short-term for years afterward? In other words, the program itself will last for years, but these digital game copies will be tied to either when you bought the UMD or the PSP Go—such specifics were not made clear.

Speaking more regarding the technical aspects of the good will program, Koller explained while the distribution model was still in the planning stages, the user's experience would be similar to Portable Copy—a way in which Blu-ray movies can be ripped and converted from the PS3 to the PSP. However, Koller assured me that users would not be ripping their UMDs. Instead, it sounds like Sony will use a PSN-based digital distribution model will "encourage" users to sign up for the service.

But the neatest thing about Koller's Portable Copy comparison? Portable Copy is free. So we're doubting that Sony will charge for the service—though we have no confirmation. Unfortunately, Koller also slipped in that Sony's "looking at what kind of games will be offered." In other words, Sony's good-will program will probably not apply to every title in the PSP's library, but given that there are only a few that matter anyway, maybe this limitation isn't such a big deal.

http://gizmodo.com/5278909/sony-to-offer-new-digital-copies-of-your-old-umd-games

Roxtar on
    edited August 2009
    That doesn't mean it's only going to be the popular games, it's probably just getting 3rd party developers to let them put the game on the PSN store. Until those games get put on the store, they wouldn't be able to offer it for that game.

-Loki- on
    edited August 2009
    That doesn't mean it's only going to be the popular games, it's probably just getting 3rd party developers to let them put the game on the PSN store. Until those games get put on the store, they wouldn't be able to offer it for that game.

True, I pretty much assumed it would be the more popular ones. However I have a feeling that my odd man out JRPGs from Atlus and NIS may be looked over.

Roxtar on