As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

• Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The eyes are small and the nose is long. Even for a long nose I would say that nose is out of the normal range of human possibility. Also I feel like the tilt of the cranium, or back of the skull is different than the tilt of the face.

rts on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I usually spend the first 40 minutes of a 3 hour class on just the layin.

rts on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    These are a lot slicker than what you previously posted Ken, I really like them especially for how quick you're laying them down.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    He means better.

rts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The forms are more defined. I like to digress more, but if I knew I'd be drawing at this level and I'm not.

Mustang on
  • Options
    MindsackMindsack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    these are great, second last and last are my favorites, although the torso of the drawing on the bottom of that page is weird lookin'

Mindsack on
    (''''\('-_-')/'''') rawr http://gabrielmolina.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That last one has some great stuff in it KDW. Is it conte? The head/neck area feels a little wonky.. mostly from a connected standpoint.. just doesn't feel quite right. The foreshortening with the arm on the stand doesn't feel quite right either.. feels like it should be knocked back and recede a little more.. The hatching in the torso/lower torso is my favorite part of the drawing. I like how you described the anatomy in there. The leg thats bent feels a little long from the insertion point of the illiac crest/femur to knee however.. if you were to imagine that leg flexed straight out, in comparison to the leg that is straight.. it'd be a little longer than it.. feet are a little small too.. Overall though I like how you developed the forms with hatching and directional stroke. To that end, the drawing has some really successful areas.

Shizumaru on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    MindsackMindsack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It must be your mark making. It's eye drugs. Drugs for your eyes.

And the face seems a little slanted to the left (our right) but otherwise it looks good. How big is it?

edit: the drawing I mean, how big is the drawing?

Mindsack on
    (''''\('-_-')/'''') rawr http://gabrielmolina.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Looking really good Kenny! The quick stuff is really conveying what it should = more meaning per mark.

Makes me wish I had the patience to get my rendering skills up to this level... Keep it up sir.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hmm, I think the front plane of the head is too narrow. I get the guy had a long narrow head, but it seems like it's been pushed too far. The top one is ace Ken, I can definately see progress from the first lot of head studies you posted, the values are really solid.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ken, I think you could push that picture a bit harder if you put the saturated boundary between the shadow and light areas of skin.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Isaac_FeltonIsaac_Felton Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Really like the last picture you have done. Your quick sketches are really good too and can see your work getting better through the posts.

Isaac_Felton on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Pretty fucking good ken, I honestly can't fault the body, it's spectacular.......in a totally hetero way....and maybe a little gay...but not too much. The eyes and nose leave a little to be desired though but I gets the feeling they were'nt your top priority.

Mustang on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    some how forgot to post this

I do have the patience for longer stuff when I get to use a combo of charcoal and pencil because it becomes a painting. But Im still working on building up with just a pencil.

[IMG]http://callicuttart.com/x/tonal drawing- week 6[/IMG]

Oh and this drawing is pretty tiny. the face of the model is about the size of my thumbnail

Unfortantely another peice of paper raped the left side background.. those diagonal marks shouldnt be there.. but again its just a study.

Bout 8 hours propably closer to 6 as the model was a bit of a pansy

Looks awsome but, is the manstache intentional?

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Looking nice KDW.. Some proportion things though.. first thing that jumps out is the length of the arm.. the forearm is a bit long.. he looks like a tall, sorta lanky type, but even then it feels long in this case.. elbow to wrist. Features on the head are a little misaligned, it feels mostly like the nose. Neck feels a little thing, but I think that my also feel that way because of the way his head is twisted.. but overall size of the head, in relationship with the body, it feels on the small side. All that said, I like how you flushed out the anatomy. Its probably the strongest aspect of the drawing. Great job on that knee too, thats always a weird angle to portray when its bent like that.

Shizumaru on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This thread has been an amazing read.
    Also everything in brown penciling has been turning out golden.

Also your still life is some pretty kicking work. I'm loving the color bouncing.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Picture%20905

Seems like you have captured the pose pretty well though that is difficult to say without seeing it. But dammit Ken you need to concentrate more when putting faces on these drawings. It feels really unsatisfying right now because its a lovely looking drawing except this head on there that just isn't really working. Also the legs are getting pretty long.

rts on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ken sorry I left the other night before you sent me the file. Maybe you can email it to me or something. Still life is looking great.

rts on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hurghbaljarhal

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yah well! now to hide again

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    woah

loomdun

Projeck on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I understand they're sketchy pages, but your lines seem a little haphazard, and not very confident. The forms don't seem to be very closely paid attention to, and seem slightly lumpy (Loomer's atrophied forearm, for one). Also, on the washes, when you're making short small strokes over and over again along the form, it seems pretty obvious and visible. It think it could look a little better if you tried to make the strokes there less obvious, and the value-blot there more cohesive. Spots like the camel's underside, the man-in-profile's shirt, and Loomer's shirt all
    seem to show that .

It's a nice technique, though, and I think these could be really nice if they were slightly more refined.

NightDragon on