As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Free metroidvanias

KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
I got a hankerin'

I've already played knytt and cave story and cave story doesn't really count anyway but I'm mentioning it just in case

they have to be free and PC because I am poor

no I'm not getting the cool one on XBLA

lost_sig2.png
Kazhiim on

• Ethereal IllusionEthereal Illusion Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hm, maybe Iji? Very divergent from your metroidvania category but still retains some elements. I personally love the game and it's free and has a fantastic setting.

Just curious: Why doesn't cave story count?

Ethereal Illusion on
    camo_sig2.png
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    An Untitled Story? I'd play it on normal or lower though, some of the platforming is ridiculously hard and the difficulty will affect stuff like platform availability. Lots of exploration though.

Gilder on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    cave story seems a little too linear to me to be a metroidvania

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes, An Untitled Story is grand, it gets my vote as well. Also if you liked Knytt, check out the dude's other game, Within a Dark Forest.

Atheraal on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What's that one people rave about? La Mulana or something?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Yeah, but it's balls hard. Prepare to spend 50+ hours of NES-difficulty platforming and puzzle solving.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lyle in Cube Sector is a good one. A little slow in the beginning, maybe, but it's one of my favorite free PC games.
    Lyle in Cube Sector is a platformer that is reminiscent of the classic Metroid series in more than a few ways. Exploration is a key element in this game, as you seek out the culprit responsible for the kidnapping of Lyle's lovable kitten.

The protagonist starts off with no possession or special skills, but will soon acquire the ability to pick up blocks and use it to eliminate enemies or jump twice as high.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited August 2009

Yeah, but it's balls hard. Prepare to spend 50+ hours of NES-difficulty platforming and puzzle solving.

You absolutely need to print out a guide beforehand. I'm still not sure the game provides you with all the information to beat it. I think it never mentions some of the key MSX combinations.

Gilder on
    edited August 2009
    Gilder wrote: »

You absolutely need to print out a guide beforehand. I'm still not sure the game provides you with all the information to beat it. I think it never mentions some of the key MSX combinations.

Someone said they had done it by themselves, and it took more than 100 hours.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Some of the platforms are invisible and give no hint to their being there. You have to even jump in a special way just to get there. And that's in the very beginning of the dungeon! And you have to do it to get the item that helps you continue the game!

La Mulana isn't hard. It's torture.
    Gilder wrote: »

Someone said they had done it by themselves, and it took more than 100 hours.

A lot of people claim they've been able to do it by themselves. I think it's bollocks. Watch Deceased Crabs Let's Play of Hell's Temple. His slow descent into madness is eerie.

rayofash on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I had no idea the whole game was like that, I thought that was just an especially evil bonus dungeon.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I had no idea the whole game was like that, I thought that was just an especially evil bonus dungeon.

The whole game is absolutely not like Hell Temple.

The main game is pretty challenging but it rarely does anything that seems unfair.

Except the bats, but bats are terrible no matter what game they are in.

Aistan on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Look, La-Mulana is a fuckawesome torture chamber made of tears and win. Everybody should just man up and get beat down.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited August 2009
    La Mulana is kind of ugly and the instructions aren't in english. We can do better than that graphically, right?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aistan wrote: »

The whole game is absolutely not like Hell Temple.

The main game is pretty challenging but it rarely does anything that seems unfair.

Except the bats, but bats are terrible no matter what game they are in.

Bats aren't particularly terrible in the 2D zeldas.

The Underside has a fairly big unfinished demo version out now, it's probably worth playing.

jothki on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bats are always terrible.

Aistan on
    edited August 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    La Mulana is kind of ugly and the instructions aren't in english. We can do better than that graphically, right?

Well it's an homage to old MSX games so that's why it looks old. It's based off one in particular that I can't remember the name of. However if you have a Wii they're porting it to that with better graphics. So in 2058 when they finally port over Cave Story, they should release La Mulana.

Gilder on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    La Mulana is fantastic and is based off Maze of Galious

It is also, as has been said, balls difficult and arcane to the point of guide necessity

It fits the bill very well for a metroid'esque adventure romp though, just one you shouldn't expect to see the ending of

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Needs more recommending of things in Indie Game Thread!

Henroid on
    edited August 2009
    There is also Albero, that one is kind of fun, from what I remember

http://www.gamemakergames.com/?a=view&id=3311

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Eternal Daughter (scroll way down to the bottom) is pretty great. Excellent Super-NES styled graphics and music. The controls are a little iffy, but I'd still highly recommend it (and if you enjoy it, his commercial game Aquaria is on Steam for $20 -- It's like an underwater metroidvania).

I'm seconding Iji, although it's not really a metroidvania. And you should try Within a Deep Forest as well. And Knytt Stories.

Klorgnum on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i haven't tried it myself, but Zelda Classic maybe?

http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/

It's basically a reamake of Zelda for the PC. Once it was done the engine / quest creator was put to use by fans to create all sorts of new content.

subedii on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holdover is a fun little romp. Probably won't last you more than a couple hours, and there's a bit of tiny pixilated nudity. It's not hard, but there's some strict timing during the water parts.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shame on you for forgetting to mention I wanna be the Guy!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited August 2009
    I thought I wanna be the guy was pretty much just (stupidly difficult) platforming?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It is, but it's still a metroidvania at heart. There's a hub, and different zones to go to.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    It is, but it's still a metroidvania at heart. There's a hub, and different zones to go to.

And let's not forget the game actively hates you.

But, it's definitely not impossible. Just really hard. There's always a solution, it just make take several hundred deaths to find it.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    i haven't tried it myself, but Zelda Classic maybe?

http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/

It's basically a reamake of Zelda for the PC. Once it was done the engine / quest creator was put to use by fans to create all sorts of new content.

If anyone has any recommendations of custom quests, post 'em. I think that's the big appeal of this. I'm trying out the top rated one, Oracles, right now. Already I'm impressed with what this does.

Edit - And less impressed with the use of Secret of Mana midis.

Henroid on
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There's Hasslevania...sort of a parody of Castlevania.
    He has just bought a house on the cheap and the big reason why is because his new neighbors are none other than Count Dracula (tm) and the whole of Castle Hasslevania!! You see, all our hero really wants is peace and quiet. Unfortunately, tonight is the 100th year a certain you-know-who wakes up and starts making big plans for world domination. Since world domination is always very loud and irritating, Rovert decides to go and tell Drac and the gang to knock it off- or else he's calling the cops! But can he survive the dangers of old school challenges in the world of today?

Catshade on
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Soldexus is pretty awesome. Hard as balls, though. The first enemy can kill you in just a couple hits, while it will take you ten or fifteen to kill it. Definitely worth playing through anyways.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Actually if you liked Knytt, you might enjoy Seiklus. It's all about exploration.

http://autofish.net/clysm/art/video_games/seiklus/

subedii on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aistan wrote: »
    Bats are always terrible.

Except for Xbox Ninja Gaiden bats. They are like little pinatas full of money. You can hit them with nunchuks. That's awesome.

Drake on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Davoid wrote: »
    I thought I wanna be the guy was pretty much just (stupidly difficult) platforming?

It really isn't too difficult, everything in the game is not beyond an advanced gamer who grew up with Nintendo hard games can't over come.
    I was lying, sometimes I wanted to kill the developer.

But the level design is fuckawesome.

Xtarath on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KAZHIIM

PLAY WITHIN A DARK FOREST RIGHT NOW.

The atmosphere is awesome, the music is brilliant and the gameplay is heaps better than Knytt.

That's right, a game where you play as a sentient bouncy ball has great atmosphere.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Shame on you for forgetting to mention I wanna be the Guy!

I love how this game is just a bunch of stolen content mish-mashed together from other games.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited September 2009
    There was a pretty solid Metroidvania that took place in Egypt, but the only site that I know of that has it has since expired.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Klorgnum wrote: »
    Eternal Daughter (scroll way down to the bottom) is pretty great. Excellent Super-NES styled graphics and music. The controls are a little iffy, but I'd still highly recommend it.

SO HARD.

SkutSkut on
    edited September 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    KAZHIIM

PLAY WITHIN A DARK FOREST RIGHT NOW.

The atmosphere is awesome, the music is brilliant and the gameplay is heaps better than Knytt.

That's right, a game where you play as a sentient bouncy ball has great atmosphere.

Already played it. Loved it.

In fact, I'm looking more for games along the line of knytt, seiklus, and WaDF. Exploration precedes combat and collection (collection is a key component of a metroidvania, of course, but it should primarily serve to expand exploration)

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've tried most of these games and they're way too hard. I'm a wuss. Why can't they actually be at the difficulty of metroid instead of ridiculously hard. Indie developers are making their games way too niche with this level of difficulty.

Edit: bats are bad, but how about medusa heads? As soon as I get to medusa heads I stop playing.

vhzod on
    edited September 2009
    vhzod wrote: »
    I've tried most of these games and they're way too hard. I'm a wuss. Why can't they actually be at the difficulty of metroid instead of ridiculously hard. Indie developers are making their games way too niche with this level of difficulty.

Water is also wet.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png