As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disney to buy Marvel for 4 Billion

dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Graphic Violence
Link

Article:
LOS ANGELES – The Walt Disney Co. said Monday it is buying Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in cash and stock, bringing characters like Iron Man and Spider-Man into the family of Mickey Mouse and WALL-E.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters. Many of them, including the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, were co-created by the comic book legend Stan Lee.

Analyst David Joyce of Miller Tabak & Co. said the acquisition will help Disney appeal to young men who have flocked to theaters to see Marvel's superheroes in recent years. That contrasts with Disney's recent successes among young women with such fare as "Hannah Montana" and the Jonas Brothers.

"It helps Disney add exposure to a young male demographic it had sort of lost some balance with," Joyce said, noting the $4 billion offer was at "full price."

Disney said Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash, plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own. That values each Marvel share at $50 based on Friday's closing stock prices.

Marvel shares jumped $10.17, or 26 percent, to $48.82 shortly after the market opened. Disney shares fell 47 cents, or 1.8 percent, to $26.37.

Disney said the boards of both companies have approved the transaction, but it will require an antitrust review and the approval of Marvel shareholders.

Disney CEO Robert Iger said the acquisition combines Marvel's "strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters" with Disney's "unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties" and ability to maximize value across multiple platforms and territories.

What the crap? I didn't think Marvel was even up for grabs at this point. Does this mean we'll start seeing Pixar animated versions of comics that have been running for two generations or more? I know Disney runs some off-brand movie studios, but I just can't be happy about this whole thing.

I was pretty pissed off when Image and Dark Horse went to poop.

dispatch.o on

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    this is a big story, but there is a place for it in the Comic's news thread (where it's already being discussed), unless the mods think it warrants it's own thread.

Langly on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2009
    No, this is big enough to warrant its own thread, I think.

As far as how it's affecting Marvel's day to day operations...I don't think it'll alter too much. Disney owns ABC, and ABC airs things like Lost, so it's not like they're going to make the comics too "kiddy," or whatever, and they put Pirates of the Caribbean out under the Disney name, so I don't really expect to see that affect too much.

What I'm hoping is that it means higher quality animation and television properties. Or at least ones with more exposure. It's a good move for Marvel, because Disney does pretty much decide what kids like at this point, so there's a bonus there.

And for anyone super worried about Hannah Montana crossovers or whatever, it's not like Marvel hasn't already done weirder stuff. Doesn't anyone remember when they had the backup where New Avengers crossed over with a soap opera?

DJ Eebs on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No, this is big enough to warrant its own thread, I think.

As far as how it's affecting Marvel's day to day operations...I don't think it'll alter too much. Disney owns ABC, and ABC airs things like Lost, so it's not like they're going to make the comics too "kiddy," or whatever, and they put Pirates of the Caribbean out under the Disney name, so I don't really expect to see that affect too much.

What I'm hoping is that it means higher quality animation and television properties. Or at least ones with more exposure. It's a good move for Marvel, because Disney does pretty much decide what kids like at this point, so there's a bonus there.

And for anyone super worried about Hannah Montana crossovers or whatever, it's not like Marvel hasn't already done weirder stuff. Doesn't anyone remember when they had the backup where New Avengers crossed over with a soap opera?
    The Guiding Light. :lol: That is the only soap my mom watches and I remember her being so confused by that whole thing. Even more than I was.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Or when they were on David Letterman? Or SNL?

This is a surprise, really. I hadn't heard any rumblings in either community about it.

I can see Marvel operating on the same path as DC does with Warner Bros. Owned, but not controlled. Disney will probably fold BOOM! into Marvel. It would only make sense.

I do wonder what happens now with Universal Studios and their deal with Marvel- they've got a whole section of their Islands of Adventure theme park in Orlando that's dedicated to Marvel Comics characters...

Tach on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Disney certainly isn't going to grab a ton of successful IPs and go about mucking with the system. We might (probably) will see more family friendly versions of characters but not at the expense of the core comics.

Actually, it ALSO gives Marvel the muscle they need to grab the film rights to their characters that are floating around other studios (Spider-man, X-men, etc) should they choose to do so. Given the direction they are taking their films that could potentially be a huge benefit.

EDIT: Mentioned this in the news thread: Disney owns a lot of CrossGen IPs, maybe we will see some of them return.

Tomanta on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hoping to see some Disney properties show up in Marvel comics. Maybe some Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Guys there's no reason Disney would have to meddle with the comics to make them more family friendly. Disney doesn't only make children's movies.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hoping to see some Disney properties show up in Marvel comics. Maybe some Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck.
    Oh god now I'm imagining a Marvel run Gargoyles. With, like, Bendis and Young.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited August 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Actually, it ALSO gives Marvel the muscle they need to grab the film rights to their characters that are floating around other studios (Spider-man, X-men, etc) should they choose to do so. Given the direction they are taking their films that could potentially be a huge benefit.

I don't really see them messing with Spider-Man and X-Men. Those properties are still cash cows. I think it's more likely they go after stuff like Fantastic Four.

DJ Eebs on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does Warner Bros. meddle with DC much? Being owned by a big company can't be that bad for Marvel.

EDIT: Also, wow, more than 5,000 characters. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that number.

emnmnme on
    edited August 2009
    Warner Bros. doesn't really do anything with DC characters, which is part of the problem.

DJ Eebs on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wolverine/Goofy crossover here we come. YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Lucascraft on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow, that's pretty fucking insane news. I would've thought that if anyone was going to buy Marvel, it would've been around the time they were near bankrupt, not when they're doing as well as they are now.

I doubt there'll be much of a change on the comics side but I'm guessing the movie rights will get kinda messy. Sony Pictures currently hold the Spider-Man movie license, Fox holds the X-Men and Fantastic Four movie licenses, but the others should be fine. Hopefully they don't close down Marvel Pictures though, since they've done a pretty decent job so far.

The games might be a little weird too. Disney have their own game publisher (Buena Vista Games) but Activision hold a bunch of Marvel licenses (including the Spider-Man movies game license). I'm guessing it'll make any possible Marvel vs Capcom sequel less likely too, though Disney did collaberate with Square Enix for Kingdom Hearts.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Warner Bros. doesn't really do anything with DC characters, which is part of the problem.

Right! The execs at Warner Brothers don't know what to do with any of the characters they have the rights to. They have a general idea that Superman & Batman are popular, and maybe Wonder Woman, but that's it. Disney has experience with iconic characters.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    I wonder if John Lassiter is a comics fan. Because if he is, we're never going to see a bad Marvel film again.

Tach on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Some links of interest:

NYT Article - Good facts statement.

Hollywood Reporter - Some interesting tidbits, like thoughts on Marvel/Pixar teamups and how "sparks will fly".

Image of first Disney sanctioned change to a marvel character:
    marveldisneydoom.jpg

KVW on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, wow, more than 5,000 characters. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that number.
    Maybe that's counting Madrox and all the Stepford Cuckoos.

Wildcat on
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    I wonder if John Lassiter is a comics fan. Because if he is, we're never going to see a bad Marvel film again.

That potential alone makes this a very interesting deal.

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    edited August 2009

Right! The execs at Warner Brothers don't know what to do with any of the characters they have the rights to. They have a general idea that Superman & Batman are popular, and maybe Wonder Woman, but that's it. Disney has experience with iconic characters.

You do realize that WB owns Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Taz, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and a whole bunch of other iconic characters themselves, right?

Lucascraft on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So does this mean Wolverine as sidekick in the next Kingdom Hearts?
    Also, if this means that Fox never gets the rights for another Marvel movie, it already has one plus

I just really hope, like everybody else, that they really just leave it as an independent studio and just co op on movies and other projects. Because i thought it was dumb as shit to cut smoking from their comics, but i can already see the headlines that Disney produces comics with sexual content(ie Max).
    The possibility of a Pixar produced Fantastic Four(kinda hard after Incredibles,but meh) does excites me though

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »

How would it give them the muscle to grab them back? As far as I know, buying bought out doesn't automatically cancel out any contracts they've made with Sony Pictures or Fox. I guess they could try to buy out the remainder of their contracts but considering how much money those franchises make, I doubt either studio would agree.

Tach: BOOM! is an independant company, so they won't be integrated into Marvel. I don't know BOOM! and Disney's arrangement though, so I've no idea what will happen to them. Hopefully BOOM! won't be too screwed over by this.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited August 2009
    It gives Marvel access to the Disney lawyers and money. That's the muscle he was refering to.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

You do realize that WB owns Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Taz, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and a whole bunch of other iconic characters themselves, right?

Yes. The problem is, the last time they did something good with the Looney Tunes was Space Jam, and the Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain haven't had anything done with them since...shit, I don't even know.

DJ Eebs on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »

There's already a Gargoyles comic written by the guy who wrote Gargoyles.

akajaybay on
    edited August 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Yes. The problem is, the last time they did something good with the Looney Tunes was Space Jam, and the Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain haven't had anything done with them since...shit, I don't even know.
    People's Exhibit A, your honor:
    loonytoons-loonatics.jpg

Tach on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What the fuck is that? o_O

Also, Duck Dodgers is pretty recent, and was also pretty great. So... I guess WB isn't totally worthless, or something?

CyberJackal on
    edited August 2009
    Here's some behind the scenes stuff on the deal.

DJ Eebs on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gaddez on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »

There's already a Gargoyles comic written by the guy who wrote Gargoyles.

The guy who was in charge of Gargoyles is also the one in charge of Spectacular Spider-man (tv show). Both are awesome.

Kyougu on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You know, there is a very good chance of this leading to awesome animated comic films. I like live action superhero stuff too, but sometimes the art is what draws me to a thing, rather than the story, or characters sitting around talking about who should play who in the movie about their lives.

DouglasDanger on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, if this means Spectacular Spider-Man could find itself a third season I am all for it.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited August 2009

Also, Duck Dodgers is pretty recent, and was also pretty great. So... I guess WB isn't totally worthless, or something?

Right, there's also Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and Superman Returns (F you, I love Superman Returns!)

Consider all the other DC projects that never fully got off the ground. One movie a year might be a little much, but three movies in a decade when you have thousands of characters at your disposal counts as not knowing WTF to do with the properties you own.

That being said, WB is starting to turn things around by giving DC more creative control over the movies based on their properties.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yeah haven't they like produced 3 animated movies in 3 years? Thats pretty good, considering that WB could have stood in the way and cancelled their asses like they did JLA(because theoretically it would confuse people if Batman was on a cartoon AND in a movie)

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Disney definitely knows how to distribute, so this might possibly end with Marvel giving Diamond the finger.

Fencingsax on
    edited August 2009
    Thane wrote: »
    yeah haven't they like produced 3 animated movies in 3 years? Thats pretty good, considering that WB could have stood in the way and cancelled their asses like they did JLA(because theoretically it would confuse people if Batman was on a cartoon AND in a movie)

The Animated stuff has been good lately, yeah. The animated wing of Warner Brothers seems like the only people who don't have their heads up their asses when it comes to DC.

That being said, Marvel also has pretty good animated movies coming out often, along with a live action movie or two every year.
    Right now Marvel has their own Island theme park at Universal Studios. That was without a huge corporation like Disney owning them.

DC doesn't have anywhere near the exposure that Marvel does and they have Time Warner behind them.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Maybe that's counting Madrox and all the Stepford Cuckoos.

If I sat you down in front of a blank sheet of paper and told you to write down the names of every Marvel you can think of, how many would you get? 1000? 1500?

emnmnme on
  • ScoobaShagScoobaShag Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And Disney only gives a damn about maybe twenty of them.

ScoobaShag on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Right, there's also Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and Superman Returns (F you, I love Superman Returns!)

I was just talking about the Looney Tunes.

CyberJackal on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I do suppose this probably means that we won't see DC/Marvel compatible games like the Vs. CCG or Heroclix anymore...

Tomanta on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Yeah, it's not like a Batman movie made a billion dollars or anything. Oh wait, it did.

Algertman on