As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blackest Night: Sinestro will save us all!

• FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Superior rating in all physical human categories!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You know, it's kinda interesting that the three spin-offs so far all sorta have the themes of horror movies. Superman is the horror movie where you don't see the killer or the actual murder, just the creeping horror and the fear it causes. Batman seems to be a ghost story and Titans is a teenage slasher flick.

Bloods End on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is Titans ever not a teenage slasher flick

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Bob Slidel wrote: »
    Alright, so I think I get it
    The white light is the light of peace. Black is the absence of life and therefore the absence of emotion. White is life without emotion.

BTW, why was the other BN thread locked?

There's no such thing, and I believe Blackest Night will demonstrate that.
    White is just a supreme state of emotional balance, not a lack thereof. Denying and destroying emotion is what the Black Lanterns do. Learning to live with them all is the idea.

I was thinking something similar to this. White is going to be a state of being people can reach regardless of who or what they are and only when you reach that state can you take out a BL. I also think it will largely be a temporary state for most people.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Is Titans ever not a teenage slasher flick

Nope. They badly need to just retire the Teen Titans book for a few years and then try again. It is laughably terrible, has been for a while, and shows no signs of ever letting up.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really just want to see a Titans book that's basically day camp for teenage heroes, with the more experienced members as counselors, and Red Tornado supervising the whole thing. Every so often a new class of teens gets cycled in, with some returning to help counsel future classes.

Basically, the same idea Johns started his run with, but with a greater focus on teaching heroes the ropes. Oh, and nobody gets eviscerated for, I dunno, let's say fifty issues.

Munch on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    One thing, in general, that I really hate about supergroup books is how frequently the rosters change. Take the JLA for example. The Morrison era JLA with all the heavy hitters is the JLA I prefer to read about. The current JLA, however, which I guess is now being run by Vixen is the most terrible thing ever. Hopefully Robinson will restore some coolness to the team.

With regards to the Teen Titans, part of why I personally have never had much interest in the concept of a "teen" supergroup is that in a universe in which they try to create the illusion of time-flow, a constantly revolving cast of teens is basically mandatory. As one outgrows the group, another comes in to fill the gap. I hate that. I hate rotating casts of supergroups. I'd like the Titans a lot more if they never aged and if the team was always the same.

That's one thing I've really liked about the Gibbons run and the Tomasi run on GLC. Both writers have kept the team fairly consistent. Sure, Tomasi doesn't really use Vath or Kol much, but they at least still appear in the group shots and big action sequences. But the other staple characters of the corps have remained fairly consistent. When I pick up GLC, I know I'm gonna be reading about Guy, Kyle, Natu, Kilowagg, and Salaak.

I'd be eternally happy if the JLA was always Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter. That's the team that I love, and I hate it when shitty characters who I don't give a flying fuck about, such as Vixen, end up on the team.

Lucascraft on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    I really just want to see a Titans book that's basically day camp for teenage heroes, with the more experienced members as counselors, and Red Tornado supervising the whole thing. Every so often a new class of teens gets cycled in, with some returning to help counsel future classes.

Basically, the same idea Johns started his run with, but with a greater focus on teaching heroes the ropes. Oh, and nobody gets eviscerated for, I dunno, let's say fifty issues.
    So you want Titans: The Initiative, but substitute war games for arts and crafts. I'd read it.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ruins wrote: »
    So you want Titans: The Initiative, but substitute war games for arts and crafts. I'd read it.

Pretty much, though not so much on the arts and crafts, and sans the Initiative's drafts, political corruption, and general shadiness. The way I see it, given the JLA's reservations about the Titans reforming at the beginning of Johns' run, and the massive casualties the team and their affiliates have sustained since then, it'd be crazy for them not to step in.

I think a JLU-like book that focused on a core team of the DCU's most popular and well-regarded teen heroes (Robin, Superboy, Speedy, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, Aquagirl), with lesser known heroes joining them on missions supervised by the more experienced teens, as well as JLA representative Red Tornado, could be a lot of fun.

Munch on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This came out of FanExpo in Canada from Didio:
    DiDio said the mega event will break for one month in January 2010 because, “there’s a special stunt tied into ‘Blackest Night’ that I can’t tease about.”

He also re-confirmed there will be three more “Blackest Night” miniseries coming in December: “Blackest Night: Flash” by Johns and Scott Kolins, “Blackest Night: Wonder Woman” by Greg Rucka and a yet-to-be-announced artist and “Blackest Night: Justice Society of America.” DiDio joked that he couldn’t remember the creative team for the final miniseries.

With Adventure Comics #4 and now the one month break, they're making Blackest Night a bit too much like Final Crisis in how they publish this event.

TexiKen on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I haven't been following comics much, but is there the slightest possibility that we will see Aquaman get his ass kicked by the Submariner?

I have money on this.

Edith Upwards on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't tell if you're telling a really bad joke or if you don't have access to any form of search engine.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    I haven't been following comics much, but is there the slightest possibility that we will see Aquaman get his ass kicked by the Submariner?

I have money on this.

You... you know that Blackest Night has nothing to do with the marvel universe (and hence Submariner by extension), right?

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • PaperFootballPaperFootball Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also Aquaman already beat Namor in the mid-90's crossover thingy

PaperFootball on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    whoops

Rans on
    edited August 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Ruins wrote: »

Pretty much, though not so much on the arts and crafts, and sans the Initiative's drafts, political corruption, and general shadiness. The way I see it, given the JLA's reservations about the Titans reforming at the beginning of Johns' run, and the massive casualties the team and their affiliates have sustained since then, it'd be crazy for them not to step in.

I think a JLU-like book that focused on a core team of the DCU's most popular and well-regarded teen heroes (Robin, Superboy, Speedy, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, Aquagirl), with lesser known heroes joining them on missions supervised by the more experienced teens, as well as JLA representative Red Tornado, could be a lot of fun.

it would be like the Justice League... only younger

a Young Justice league, if you will

Rans on
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This came out of FanExpo in Canada from Didio:
    DiDio said the mega event will break for one month in January 2010 because, “there’s a special stunt tied into ‘Blackest Night’ that I can’t tease about.”

He also re-confirmed there will be three more “Blackest Night” miniseries coming in December: “Blackest Night: Flash” by Johns and Scott Kolins, “Blackest Night: Wonder Woman” by Greg Rucka and a yet-to-be-announced artist and “Blackest Night: Justice Society of America.” DiDio joked that he couldn’t remember the creative team for the final miniseries.

With Adventure Comics #4 and now the one month break, they're making Blackest Night a bit too much like Final Crisis in how they publish this event.

the Adventure Comics thing doesn't really bother me. i LIKE tie-ins that are important to the story. and it will still be written by Johns, so who cares?

the month break due to a stunt worries me. preparing for Ivan to be late on the last issue? if the stunt is as lame as the Faces of Evil thing they did last January... color me annoyed.

Rans on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    maybe the stunt is a very jolly zombie christmas wherein the black lanterns learn a little bit about that christmas spirit before ripping out santas heart and making BL Santa: the naughty list

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    Honestly, in events that get as big as this, a month off isn't a bad thing. If nothing else it will give the artists a chance to catch up on their work loads.

Lucascraft on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm just wondering what this "surprise" is.

Tach on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And by surprise you mean "twist" that Johns is undoubtedly going to pull?

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
    edited August 2009
    No, I mean the "stunt" that DiDio refers to in that quote. I'm really enjoying the hell out of Blackest Night and everything associated with it. I really would prefer that DC keep the bullshit to a minimum, and not fuck it up for me.

Tach on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    it seems dumb for them to basically pause their biggest event in the last years

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, but it's the holiday season. Whole lotta people taking time off and stuff in December means it's harder to keep things running smoothly for January releases.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited August 2009
    Well, there is the fact that the week of 12/28 will see no books ship due to the holidays. Then a double shipment the next week. Dunno if I see that as a contributing factor, though.

Tach on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm just wondering how many people who die during this event will spontaneously come back from the dead once it's over.

In the back-to-life sense, not the black-ring-zombie sense.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited August 2009
    major reset for DC

now EVERYONE is alive again and all the continuity is in tact!!!!!!

Rans on
    edited August 2009
    Most people will be back.
    But not Batman.

Lucascraft on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's all right, he planned for that.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited September 2009
    Most people will be back in black.

Bloods End on
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    so TFAW is giving out rings with the comics is that just them or will they be at my LCS too?

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blackest Night: GLC #40 preview

Dead, but still foxy. Is it a trap, or is she different somehow?
    glcor40_05_new.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh it is so a trap.

Furu on
    edited September 2009
    Wait- a trap like BN: Titans, or a trap like Crying Game?

*edit- grim, your LCS might have them too, they just have to order 25-50 of the BN tie ins for that month to qualify. I'd ask the manager to be sure they're going to do it.

Tach on
    edited September 2009
    I like that picture. And you're right Robos. Definitely foxy.

Lucascraft on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Why do you only feel love in your right cheek?

DarkWarrior on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Because the left cheek is where the food is digested.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited September 2009
    Why do you only feel love in your right cheek?

You see I don't think where the color is a representation of where the emotions if felt screw it I'm just going to throw a brick at you.

Bloods End on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, Jade was at peace kind of with how she died, so maybe she's not corrupted.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    If she was truly at peace, she wouldn't have been raised, the same as Dove. The fact that she's back almost certainly means she's a Black Lantern. Especially since she's wearing the uniform.

Lucascraft on