As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HELP: Connecting systems to my new TV

lodgerlodger Humble NarratorRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
I recently received an LCD tv (Samsung), and have been running into trouble connecting my consoles to the thing. I've been running them through the A/V ports. Both the PS2 and the X360 fade in and out, intermittently dimming. Have others encountered this problem, and can anyone suggest a possible solution?

lodger on

• Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It might have something to do with an auto-contrast feature. I've seen it set to something like "dynamic". Turn that off. That should fix it.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    lodgerlodger Humble Narrator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I tired setting it to standard, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.

lodger on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I wanted to bump this for the weekday crowd, as the problem continues.

lodger on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Did you happen to try calling their support line? I know that the guys at Sony can be very helpful.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So you are using regular AV inputs (Yellow, Red, White) and not the component inputs for your 360? Not really related to your problem but I just want to make sure. :o

I have heard Samsung support can be pretty helpful though.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yep, I'm using red/yellow/white cables.

Will try Samsung support when I get home from work.

lodger on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This sounds like what DVD players do when they run through a VCR, screwing up the picture in order to keep copies looking crappy. Is there a VCR inovlved?

otherwise, it sounds like a dynamic black setting.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not directly related to the problem, but you absolutely need to get component cables for the PS2, and HDMI for the 360. if your 360 doesn't have an HDMI port, use VGA. Or use component, but VGA is better.

Using composite cables (red, yellow, white) on an HDTV is doing it wrong.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    lodger wrote: »
    I recently received an LCD tv (Samsung), and have been running into trouble connecting my consoles to the thing. I've been running them through the A/V ports. Both the PS2 and the X360 fade in and out, intermittently dimming. Have others encountered this problem, and can anyone suggest a possible solution?

Some TV's have adaptive lighting, meaning they'll sense ambient light and lower/raise brightness and contrast to best suit the room (i.e. brighter picture in darker rooms, etc). But it's not foolproof: if you have bright walls the reflections can cause the TV to adjust quite rapidly. You may want to look at that.

Failing that, you may want to check the power-saving features, any post-processing on the part of the TV (Samsung calls is TruMotion), and make sure you disable them (put the relevant inputs into "game" mode).

And it's harsh, but:
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Using composite cables (red, yellow, white) on an HDTV is doing it wrong.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah... if you have an HDTV, you really ought to use Component cables (or better) for your 360 at least. If you're using standard RCA (yellow,white,red) cables, you're not taking advantage of the system's capabilities. You're going to be getting fuzzy interlaced 480i picture, instead of crisp 720 progressive picture with the 360 on the HDTV.

As far as the PS2, well you'll definitely get a cleaner picture with Component cables, and some games even support 480p.

But for the 360 you're doing yourself a huge disservice using Composite.

slash000 on
  • Options
    HootoramaHootorama Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've had the pleasure of contacting Samsung Tech Support on two occasions, and both times the wait time was short (less than 2 minutes), and the staff on the other end were knowledgable and friendly. Give them a shot, just make sure you have the model # of your TV ready.

Hootorama on