As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Problem connecting a Wiimote to PC -- It just won't stay connected!

BTPBTP Registered User regular
I'll try to describe my problems as simply as possible.

I am using this bluetooth adapter to make my computer bluetooth enabled -- or Bluetoothable.

I followed the following tutorial on YouTube because it actually seemed pretty damn simple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Yb2faaBTg&feature=related

In my first attempt to get the Wiimote and PC connected, I was asked for a passkey, which didn't happen in the YouTube tutorial. After some searching on the Wiimote Project forums, it turns out the very drivers that came with the adapter is what prevents the Wiimote to PC connection, so I had to uninstall the drivers and get Windows-styled drivers. I followed the instructions from here, and I did have to use the hack.

More searching on that forum led me to this link describing how to connect the Wii Remote to a PC. Even though this is shown in the YouTube tutorial, I figured it's good to make sure you have another source confirming the method.

The problem is after step 7 in that last link. I held on to 1 and 2 until my thumb wanted to turn numb and I didn't see any drivers install. A few seconds after letting go, the lights stop flashing and the connection is lost. I even tried the red sync button in the battery compartment and nothing changed. The Wii Remote just simply doesn't want to stay connected. While the lights are flashing, the computer does see the remote. But after it says "Setup is complete" and I click Finish and then OK, and then re-enter "Bluetooth Devices" from the control panel, it doesn't see the remote anymore (even if it stops and I reactive it by pressing 1 and 2).

I must be missing something simple in this, but I just can't see it probably because of how long I've been trying to get this to work. All I'm wanting to do is to try out the Wiimote Whiteboard with a LED penlight just like how Johnny Lee does it, and to have my Classic Controller (and hopefully therefore my Wii Fighting Stick as well) work for some games. In case it matters, the Wii Remote I've been trying to use has never been connected to my Wii.

HELP! PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
BTP on

• Katana-srKatana-sr Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It seems like the standard Windows XP implementation of bluetooth can cause quite a few problems here.
    I'm using the Toshiba bluetooth stack for this purpose and haven't had any problems so far.
    You can find it here:
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/bluetooth/?page=download

You can connect the Wiimote without problems in a similar fashion as described in the tutorial you linked with this, however it seems to be enough to press the 1 and 2 buttons once when asked to make the device ready to connect and confirm the dialouge before the leds stop blinking.

Katana-sr on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But that says it's only for Toshiba notebooks. My computer is neither Toshiba or a notebook, and I'm using XP btw. The only other thing I see that I might be able to use would be the "PC Bluetooth Stack Hotfix SP2". Is that what you mean?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
    edited August 2009
    Ah sorry, seems like quite a bit has changed since I did this. Toshiba stack won't install on non-toshiba laptops/pcs.

A good alternative is the Bluesoleil stack (http://www.bluesoleil.com/download/index.asp?topic=bluesoleil6x).
    It has a transfer limit if you use the free version but you won't reach it with the Wiimote.

Here is a tutorial how to connect the Wiimote using this stack: http://www.wiiprojects.org/bluetooth.html
    (You can get the older Bluesoleil Versions at the bottom of the download page if the new one doesn't work for some reason, haven't tried that).

Katana-sr on
    edited August 2009
    There's something else I should add about this.

At the part where I can get the PC to at least see there is a Wiimote trying to connect to it during the connection process, I right-click on the Wiimote icon and go into "Properties > Services" and that's where I can tell Windows to get me the drivers. A checkmark and an OK click later, I'm told "Access is denied."

I went down to the Future Shop where I bought the adapter to try to get some more info/troubleshooting from some people that have helped my family and I for years, and after talking to them, I have a couple of questions to ask before I try the Bluesoleil thing:

1) There is somewhere in the process of all of this (I thought it was at Control Panel > Bluetooth Devices) where one of FS people told me I'm supposed to right click at a point where it will ask me to "enable/allow/basically turn on" administrative abilites, and doing this should allow me to get the drivers I need. He explained that even though my PC account is as an administrator, there's another tier of administrator that can be reached, and I just need to tell Windows to reach that tier for this.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please give me some guidance. That appears to be only hurdle in my setup right now.

2) Another FS guy I talked to said there's dozens or so of different kind of bluetooth drivers out there, and I just need to keep trying different kinds until one works.....however, he also said that one to stay away from is Bluesoleil, basically saying it just "doesn't work as well as the other kinds that are out there, especially ones that don't crash the computer." I'm pretty sure he was meaning in terms of other bluetooth stuff like Blackberry, headsets, etc. I'm sure Bluesoleil would work fine with a Wiimote, but is there any reason in general why I should stay away from it and try to use other drivers? Does it really have problems often enough that would cause a computer to crash?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
    edited August 2009
    To 1): I never heard of this in Windows XP. If you are using XP Professional, double check if your account really has administrative rights: Control Pannel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> your user. The user should be a member of "administrators" and no other group. In XP Home you could try creating a new administrator account and using that one, I guess. If you are in a networking domain, security policies also could disallow the installation of drivers by your account.

What could also be the problem, and is a common cause for this "access denied" error message, is that you do not have full ownership of the driver files in your system folder. This can happen if you reinstalled Windows over a previous install without formating the drive or when you have folders in your system which where not created by users of your Windows installation. You can try taking ownership of your system drive (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421).

To 2) I'm not an expert on Bluetooth software, but I used both the Toshiba and the Bluesoleil stack for the Wiimote connection, the Bluesoleil for several months and the Toshiba stack even longer. Didn't encounter any problems or crashes. There are alternatives of course, but I haven't tried them.

Katana-sr on
    edited August 2009
    Well, here's an update you can put in the "strange" category.

I haven't done any changes since my last post. I've done some more forum digging and it appears BlueSoleil really is a PITA after a short while. Apparently the trial version will only last for 15 days at which point you will have to pay for the real drivers. So nuts to them.

However, it appears that someone else has gone through my exact problems, or this is at least the cloest to them.

So I tried their solution of just keeping the bluetooth window open, and for some strange reason, "Connected" is actually staying on my Wiimote instead of disappearing after a fraction of a second after trying to get the drivers. Even as I type this post, it still says "connected".

However, I still can't make anything happen in the test run in GlovePIE. I'm not seeing any changes there. And I even tried playing one of the shmups I have, and it wasn't responding to any input from the classic controller while I still had the GlovePIE code running.

Go ahead with trying to re-claim my administrative rights? Or has this update uncovered something previously hidden in this riddle?

Edit: Well, it seems this was a fluke, as I can't get it to happen again.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really regret trying to sync my wii remote up to my laptop. Something screwed up and now it refuses to resync with my wii, nomatter what I do.

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
    edited August 2009
    BTP wrote: »

I haven't done any changes since my last post. I've done some more forum digging and it appears BlueSoleil really is a PITA after a short while. Apparently the trial version will only last for 15 days at which point you will have to pay for the real drivers. So nuts to them.

However, it appears that someone else has gone through my exact problems, or this is at least the cloest to them.

So I tried their solution of just keeping the bluetooth window open, and for some strange reason, "Connected" is actually staying on my Wiimote instead of disappearing after a fraction of a second after trying to get the drivers. Even as I type this post, it still says "connected".

However, I still can't make anything happen in the test run in GlovePIE. I'm not seeing any changes there. And I even tried playing one of the shmups I have, and it wasn't responding to any input from the classic controller while I still had the GlovePIE code running.

Go ahead with trying to re-claim my administrative rights? Or has this update uncovered something previously hidden in this riddle?

BlueSoleil is shit now? Now I'm really glad that I did this stuff some time ago and have my bluetooth stack already installed.

You really should try to get full rights to install a driver, this is necessary to get any functionality from the Wiimote.

darkenendwing - No matter what you do? Sounds pretty incredible, have you tried having the laptop shut down, removing the batteries from the Wiimote for 10 seconds, and then trying to sync it with the Wiimote as per instruction manual (e.g. using sync buttons)? It should be impossible to "break" the Wiimote via bluetooth.

Katana-sr on
  • darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Katana-sr wrote: »
    BTP wrote: »

BlueSoleil is shit now? Now I'm really glad that I did this stuff some time ago and have my bluetooth stack already installed.

You really should try to get full rights to install a driver, this is necessary to get any functionality from the Wiimote.

darkenendwing - No matter what you do? Sounds pretty incredible, have you tried having the laptop shut down, removing the batteries from the Wiimote for 10 seconds, and then trying to sync it with the Wiimote as per instruction manual (e.g. using sync buttons)? It should be impossible to "break" the Wiimote via bluetooth.

Yep, tried it all. that was probably 6 months ago and I still cant get it to connect to my wii :(
    Atleast, I think its because of the bluetooth bcause right after I synced it with my laptop, it wouldn't ever connect to my wii again.

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
    edited August 2009
    Yep, tried it all. that was probably 6 months ago and I still cant get it to connect to my wii :(
    Atleast, I think its because of the bluetooth bcause right after I synced it with my laptop, it wouldn't ever connect to my wii again.

Crazy. I wonder what happened to it. Hardware failure just after the laptop sync is pretty unlikely indeed since the Wiimotes are pretty robust. I've seen many people having problems with the weird sync button voodoo required on the console and the Wiimote, but never a Wiimote really refusing to connect.

Katana-sr on
  • chefwycoonchefwycoon Registered User new member
    edited December 2012
    This is the top google search for this type of problem so I'm going to post my solution here.

Problem
    The problem occurs when I try to add my wiimote once it is detected by my PC via the bluetooth adapter. I receive a message that drivers are being installed, and there's a loading/installation animation for the driver icon in the bottom right side of the screen. After a while, the LEDs on my wiimote stops blinking, and the driver installation fails because the "bluetooth device has been unplugged."

Solution
    I found out that the reason the driver installation was taking so long was because it was searching for windows updates for the device. You can disable this by opening the start menu (pressing the windows button), right-clicking on "Computer" and clicking on "Properties." Then, click on "Advanced system settings" on the left side of the window, and press the "Hardware" tab. Click on "Device Installation Settings." Tick "No, let me choose what to do" and tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update." Save changes.

Running GlovePIE
    If you're using GlovePIE, run the script before doing anything with the wiimote. Once the script is running, press the 1 and 2 buttons on the wiimote. In a few seconds, your wiimote should begin to connect, and after a few more seconds, become connected. At this point, the first and last LEDs on your wiimote should be on. In GlovePIE, press "Stop" and then immediately press "Run." Your wiimote should now only have the first LED on, and the script should be working.

EDIT: Also, this is for Windows 7.

chefwycoon on
  • animi2006animi2006 Registered User new member
    Hello ,
    I have the following problem : I bought from Ebay Nunchuck + Remote Wiimote Controller for Wii, in its description says Connection via Bluetooth technology with the console by simply pressing the SYNC button. I thought I would be able to get connect via Bluetooth to my PC or laptop , but I can not . In laptop I have integrated Bluetooth , and PC with external Bluetooth and I tried many different drivers, but it is not work. Once or twice the Bluetooth find as a device , but do not recognize exactly what it is, but in other cases it doesn't find any device. I wrote the seller and told me that it could not connect to Bluetooth, and it had its special Bluetooth, you can connect only with console Wii. What do you think , can I do something with it and be able to connect to PC and play games with Dolphin?
    It is assumed distance :
    http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649

• Beren CamlostBeren Camlost Registered User new member
    chefwycoon wrote: »
    This is the top google search for this type of problem so I'm going to post my solution here.

Problem
    The problem occurs when I try to add my wiimote once it is detected by my PC via the bluetooth adapter. I receive a message that drivers are being installed, and there's a loading/installation animation for the driver icon in the bottom right side of the screen. After a while, the LEDs on my wiimote stops blinking, and the driver installation fails because the "bluetooth device has been unplugged."

Solution
    I found out that the reason the driver installation was taking so long was because it was searching for windows updates for the device. You can disable this by opening the start menu (pressing the windows button), right-clicking on "Computer" and clicking on "Properties." Then, click on "Advanced system settings" on the left side of the window, and press the "Hardware" tab. Click on "Device Installation Settings." Tick "No, let me choose what to do" and tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update." Save changes.

Running GlovePIE
    If you're using GlovePIE, run the script before doing anything with the wiimote. Once the script is running, press the 1 and 2 buttons on the wiimote. In a few seconds, your wiimote should begin to connect, and after a few more seconds, become connected. At this point, the first and last LEDs on your wiimote should be on. In GlovePIE, press "Stop" and then immediately press "Run." Your wiimote should now only have the first LED on, and the script should be working.

EDIT: Also, this is for Windows 7.

Give this man a medal.

Heck make him Mayor!

This works. Every time. Thank you!