As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

God damn constant of integration and DiffEQ

Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better.Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, here's my question regarding first-order Differential Equations and separable equations.

Why is e^c = C ?

Is it because C is some constant? But wouldn't it matter that e is being raised by that constant?

Or is there some terminology that i'm missing?

Casually Hardcore on

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "C" has, in this case, been defined as just a shorthand way of writing "e^c".

Basically, why write e^c when you can just write "C" in its place?

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I'm thinking it's that simple. But there's no previous mentioning of this and this is in the solution manual. They're dropping Cs like nobodies business; superscripted, subscript, capital, small, etc. Maybe I should just read all these Cs as 'arbitrary constant' and ignore the formatting.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    C represents constant in Calculus.

So yeah...

Orestes on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I'm thinking it's that simple. But there's no previous mentioning of this and this is in the solution manual. They're dropping Cs like nobodies business; superscripted, subscript, capital, small, etc. Maybe I should just read all these Cs as 'arbitrary constant' and ignore the formatting.

You've got it right. When you take an indefinite integral, you're left with an arbitrary constant, which you've called C. However, you could have just as easily called it ln(C), which would leave you with C if you take the exponent of it.

Does that make sense?

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yep, e to any constant is another constant. Any constant is C. So C+C=C. C*C=C. C^C = C.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ... however, it's a bad habit to write e^C = C, because well it's wrong as you've pointed out.

Just write =constant or just remove e^C implicitly when you need to.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's because there's a small c and a big C. c not equal to C.

e^c = C is just saying that c = ln( C) because it's easier to work with for some reason.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are you sure the book isn't using a symbol that looks like "=" for the equation.
    It was a couple years ago, but thought mine used a "=" with a dot over it or some other pseudo equality symbol.

lunchbox12682 on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It probably isn't; writing e^c = C is a common way to reduce the visual complexity of an expression.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Any combination of constants is a constant, and seeing as the c is just as unknown as the C - may as well combine it into one arbitrary constant instead of having 2 or more to deal with.

i.e. k(1).e^c + k(2) = C

When you solve you either need to find c and k(1) and k(2), or just C. C is way simpler and faster.

Teslan26 on