As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nvidia Contest, Return of the Matching Buttons

disposablecompdisposablecomp Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
http://www.nvidia.com/object/pax_2009.html
Button Matching Attendee Contest
Pick up a button at the NVIDIA booth, find your match on the show floor and return to NVIDIA’s booth to spin the wheel and win a prize. Both winners must be present to win.

Looks like they are doing the matching buttons from 07 again. I thought I would point this out for anyone that wanted to/was capable of making a database to help people. I remember a large pad of paper from 07 being filled with numbers and cell phone numbers. It would be cool if we were prepared ahead of time, maybe a mobile accessible site.

disposablecomp on

• aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, I'm imaging someone, or a group of someone's, who just stands at the end of the nVidia booth (I remember it being a bit of an assembly line operation) and just collects the personal information of everyone as they leave. That way, if they're not interested in participating in the contest they could just hand their button to the person collecting the info.

If done right this would ensure nearly 100% matching. nVidia might get a little pissed. But, we're geeks, do they not expect us to take an over-the-top approach to problem solving?

aragorn18 on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Now if only there was a way to make the line to sign up smaller, we could ensure world domination.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh gods, not this again

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If I can get a forward-enough spot in line on Friday morning I might actually do it this year. In '07 I took one look at the line and said "I don't care if one of the prizes is a house, no way am I waiting, let's go check out the so-and-so booth."

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • disposablecompdisposablecomp Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If I remember correctly, it started with a group of people passing a paper tablet around in a corner not far off from the booth. Eventually, it ended up on a website. I think it was just Name, Nvidia # and Cell #. I think it worked for many, my match never added their number sadly. Here is hoping more people can win.

disposablecomp on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Damned you Nvidia! I still have my button from 2007!

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I won an 8600 GTS in 07. Would you like to know how?

I posted my number in a thread on this very forum. MAGIC!

Houn on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Another option would be to tweet your number with the #number_goes_here so that it's searchable.

redhalo on
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Or, I could just make a giant cardboard sign, and walk around with it :3

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The dreaded nVidia buttons, still talked about to this very day. I hoped I'd never see them again.

(Actually, the buttons didn't bother me, it was the appliance-sized cardboard signs with nVidia numbers on them that bothered me.)

Kyouteki on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The only thing that irked me about this contest was attendees taking up mic time in pannels to announce their #. Otherwise this is a neat contest imo

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i won a nvidia sli mobo in 07. some guy was walking around with a couple of notepads with numbers and phone #s and I saw my match in there. the guy with the notepads couldn't believe someone actually found their match.

if he is reading this, 'thanks dude!'

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I agree with using twitter for this. We should have a logical hashtag for it (possibly just #nvidia) and you just tweet your button number. then people can follow/DM/tweet each other for info and meeting up.

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
    edited August 2009
    tehnakki wrote: »
    I agree with using twitter for this. We should have a logical hashtag for it (possibly just #nvidia) and you just tweet your button number. then people can follow/DM/tweet each other for info and meeting up.

Or you can just use your number as the hash tag then when someone searches for theirs it only pulls up one.

redhalo on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    redhalo wrote: »

Or you can just use your number as the hash tag then when someone searches for theirs it only pulls up one.

This is why RedHalo is smarter than you all.

Houn on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Houn wrote: »

THIS.

Also, CHECK YOUR @ messages! Someone replying to you doesn't do any good if you don't check for mentions of your name. I check mine regularly bc there are lots of PAXers following me that I'm not return following.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
    edited August 2009

THIS.

Also, CHECK YOUR @ messages! Someone replying to you doesn't do any good if you don't check for mentions of your name. I check mine regularly bc there are lots of PAXers following me that I'm not return following.

You know what's gonna be funny? If Nvidia wasn't prepared for nerds to take advantage of technological trends, and they have to dish out like a bajillion cards.

redhalo on
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You know what's gonna be funny? If Nvidia wasn't prepared for nerds to take advantage of technological trends, and they have to dish out like a bajillion cards.

If they were smart they would make the wheel in their favor. Give out mostly t-shirts and small ends, with a slim slice of the wheel for specials. Then again. There is a bar here locally that lets you spin the wheel for money on your birthday, with 1 tiny sliver for 100, and I saw it spun 4 out of 5 on one night... So you never are truely safe.

Would love to see a giant white board put up in the Queue room for people to write their Nvidia# and cell on. People are in there waiting for everything. Real easy place to check and write down your info when you get a chance.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

THIS.

Except that maybe 1% of the button handed out actually have a match.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Except that maybe 1% of the button handed out actually have a match.

Hmm... So your saying I should bring my counterfeiting equipment and a button maker? :winky:

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Or, people could come to this thread, and post their number here, or something along those lines...and someone near the top can add names/numbers in

deveric on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hurray we get to see people holding up ginormous signs with numbers plastered on them again. :P

I never got one in '07 but what with Twitter and all, I might have to grab one.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

anyone else have my matching number?

if so. please call: (830) 554-9455

THANKS!

s7arbuck on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Starbuck has boobs... hehehe.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    lulwat

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fuck the nvidia contest.

I'm going to put a sign on my wheelchair and hope someone sees it. :D

parabola on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ah, yes. The infamous Matching Numbers game.

Yeah, like redhalo suggested, posting it on Twitter with hashtag and once on here.

I remember last year someone created a master-list on here...that too was a good idea.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • CadynCadyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, this contest does not sound like a wonderful time.

Cadyn on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cadyn wrote: »
    Hmm, this contest does not sound like a wonderful time.

It was the most pain in the ass kind of contest, but fun in the most nerdy-sadistic way.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    got my button... number: 1323

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • nintendoXOnintendoXO Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My button number is:2932 and # 1137 (425-941-9235)

nintendoXO on
  • RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My number is 6165.

Rayman on
  • MacCartneyMacCartney Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Number: 2346 Now.. someone have the same number as me and lets get a prize! Lol

MacCartney on
  • LumasLumas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If anyone has either of these numbers:

Call Sam @ 425-205-9120 or send me a PM.

Lumas on
  • gamester51gamester51 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Button numbers: 5101, 2339, 2399, 2391, 5197.....call or text 360 500 6933

gamester51 on
  • AxasAxas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you have

call 509-217-2006 - Josh

Axas on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    1142. Twittered #1142, too. Call 775-342-3564 if you've got 1142!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • DaveHavokDaveHavok Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    2384 here. Call me 2068165077

DaveHavok on
  • Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Looking for 6123 and 2533. Twitter @klindas or call 847-533-2110

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
  • losergeek13losergeek13 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I'm 1319, 5486, 3550, 3471. PM me or e-mail me @ ipodman@comcast.net
    Also you could just call me( I dont have text ) @ 206-437-1979

losergeek13 on
This discussion has been closed.