As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX 2009 iPhone/iPod Touch App

13»

• Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    aragorn18 wrote: »
    CRCelf wrote: »
    SO, when will there be an app available for download? or am i just being dense and missing how to download it?
    There never was a native iPhone app developed. It just didn't happen.

However, nathos is posting saying that he has developed a web app that will do many of the features that a native app would do, including being able to view the info offline. Just go to the URL that he linked in his post on your iPhone.

Just so we're clear, offline support is Coming Real Soon™ - we've done tests and it works great, but the update mechanism can be slightly finicky and we want to make sure we have all the data/kinks worked out in the version most people will have.

rufo on
  • Options
    CRCelfCRCelf Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ok, thanks everyone! now i just need to download the latest software for my ipod touch

CRCelf on
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Be sure to add the World's Record event on Friday!

cocowoushi on
  • Options
    nathosnathos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    Be sure to add the World's Record event on Friday!

The World Record attempt is on the gaming schedule, so it will be added once we import those events.

nathos on
    nathos.png
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Awesome guys! Works fine on the Android as well.

If you guys would like help in making the offline functionality work in Android as well, I can help out. It's a pretty simple implementation.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It looks like the HTML5 caching method works on Android as well as iPhone, so once we flip the switch, it should work for you guys too :)

nathos on
    nathos.png
  • Options
    ZionadZionad CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    im just going to use the basic calendar app...

Zionad on
    I do it all for the pew pew
  • Options
    firewallenderfirewallender Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Awesome, thanks!

firewallender on
    Firewallender.com | @firewallender on Twitter

I SURVIVED THE PAX 2009 CON-SARS BREAKOUT!
  • Options
    VorpalHawkVorpalHawk Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Elsewhere on here there's a post about pax.evtmap.com, if you're still looking for a schedule and map you can get on your phone.

VorpalHawk on
  • Options
    awitelintstaawitelintsta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    nathos wrote: »
    It's a web app, so just go to http://pax.expojunkie.com on your iPhone.

once we're done, we'll recommend (probably require) that you 'install' the app to your home screen, but for now please to check it out in Safari on your iPhone/iPod touch.

This is fully awesome. :mrgreen:

awitelintsta on
    http://awitelintsta.gamerdna.com/
    Roleplayer, Pirate, and 2009 Omeganaut :D
  • Options
    AlphastreamAlphastream Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sweet! Any chance you can add the RPGA events from Warhorn? The only change from the site is the new slot times:

Slot 1 - Friday 2pm
    Slot 2 - Friday 7pm
    Slot 3 - Saturday 10:30am
    Slot 4 - Saturday 3:30pm
    Slot 5 - Saturday 8:30pm
    Slot 6 - Sunday 10:30am

Warhorn site

Great stuff, thanks!

Alphastream on
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Suggestion:
    I'm checking out events by the day/time and press an event to read more about it. When I press the upper left hand button, or use the back button my browser, to return me to the full list it returns to the very top. It would be nice if when we return to the list the page is scrolled down to where we were last.

cocowoushi on
  • Options
    KaishiKaishi Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Very nice app.

:^:

I will be using it.

Kaishi on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That is too cool. Thanks a lot for setting it up!

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    Suggestion:
    I'm checking out events by the day/time and press an event to read more about it. When I press the upper left hand button, or use the back button my browser, to return me to the full list it returns to the very top. It would be nice if when we return to the list the page is scrolled down to where we were last.

This is tough one, as iPhone web apps can't have a toolbar that sticks to the top of the screen. If we don't scroll to the top, users can have the opposite problem if yours: you'd have to scroll to the top to navigate backwards (if running the app installed). We'll try to see if there's a better solution, but we may not have a change implmented in time for PAX.

nathos on
    nathos.png
  • Options
    tsaiwes99tsaiwes99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    do you think the offline version will be finished b4 PAX?

tsaiwes99 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    tsaiwes99 wrote: »

Yes, our tests with offline are going well. We want to make sure all of the schedule data is correct, then we should be able to enable caching support.

nathos on
    nathos.png
  • Options
    skwisgaar Skwigelfskwisgaar Skwigelf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is absolutely terrific. I am SO glad I don't have to go through my usual drill of printing out the schedule. Now I can have it with me where ever my 3G connection will follow (which, given that the con is in the middle of a major city, that is pretty much any where.)

THANKS!

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    "Let me be the first to tell you you look like shit".
    DJFenderStradt.png
  • Options
    SenicksSenicks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yes, our tests with offline are going well. We want to make sure all of the schedule data is correct, then we should be able to enable caching support.

Excellent, keep up the good work guys. I've tried it on my ipod touch and it works pretty good. Though is it normal for it to nag you to update to firmware 3.0. I refuse to update it.

Senicks on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Senicks wrote: »

Excellent, keep up the good work guys. I've tried it on my ipod touch and it works pretty good. Though is it normal for it to nag you to update to firmware 3.0. I refuse to update it.

The main reason we have a notice is - well, honestly neither Nathan nor myself have easy access to 2.2 devices. While we're *fairly* sure it will mostly work, we weren't 100% sure. We're especially unsure if the offline caching will work properly - Apple has no information about certain critical details (how much data, how many files, etc.) and we're suspicious there might be some limitations under 2.2 that may break the caching.

That being said, we might be able to streamline the experience a bit and make it so it'll only nag you once and won't bug you again afterwards. If we make any improvements we'll make sure it's known.

rufo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I just posted on the Expojunkie Twitter account about this, but in case you aren't following us there, two main things of import:

First, we've added tabletop and TCG events from WoTC, Upper Deck and the RPGA events, so those are loaded in. We also added in the Omegathon and tourney/freeplay events earlier in the week in case you haven't been by in a while.

Second (and a big step forward), we've just enabled offline access - just go to http://pax.expojunkie.com/ and tap "Install as Offline App", and follow the simple directions!

As always, hit us up here or on Twitter for more questions. Do note - we'll be leaving on our flights for Seattle in a couple hours and as soon as we get there and checked in we're heading to the pre-PAX dinner, so don't be surprised if it takes us a little while to get back.

rufo on
  • Options
    AlphastreamAlphastream Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Awesome! Enjoy PAX! Thanks!

Alphastream on
  • Options
    dalitubadalituba Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thank you Expo Junkie guys for making offline possible. Works great.

dalituba on
  • Options
    magiicmagiic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pretty excited about this coming down from Canada

magiic on
  • Options
    Firestorm88Firestorm88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanks. Installed this offline + added FakeAPN so it can't update. I don't want to incur crazy charges. Unlocked my iPhone and using a T-Mobile Pay As You Go card while down in the States.

magiic! I didn't know you were going!

Firestorm88 on
This discussion has been closed.