As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disney to buy Marvel for 4 Billion

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    [

Right now Marvel has their own Island theme park at Universal Studios. That was without a huge corporation like Disney owning them.

Actually... what DOES this mean for Islands of Adventure at Universal Studios? Most people won't care, but I'm a huge travel and theme park nut. The biggest competition to Disneyworld in Florida is the Universal Park down the road, and one of the most popular sections of the park is the Marvel island at Islands of adventure. DisneyMarvel is going to yank that license as soon as possible, as a big "F U" to Universal.

Hensler on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    [

Right now Marvel has their own Island theme park at Universal Studios. That was without a huge corporation like Disney owning them.

Actually... what DOES this mean for Islands of Adventure at Universal Studios? Most people won't care, but I'm a huge travel and theme park nut. The biggest competition to Disneyworld in Florida is the Universal Park down the road, and one of the most popular sections of the park is the Marvel island at Islands of adventure. DisneyMarvel is going to yank that license as soon as possible, as a big "F U" to Universal.

I don't know, if there's a contract they may be stuck having to leave that alone for a while. It's not like Marvel was in chapter 11 or something and was able to shred all of their old deals. That's a little sweet irony if you ask me.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, Marvel's deal with Universal stays

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The Marvel Universal deal has 2 years left, I believe. I'm thinking that the smart thing to do after that would be for Universal to rebrand that section of the park as a Transformers island - the new Transformers ride is being built on the same ride platforms as Spider-Man: The Ride.

Hensler on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Marvel Universal deal has 2 years left, I believe. I'm thinking that the smart thing to do after that would be for Universal to rebrand that section of the park as a Transformers island - the new Transformers ride is being built on the same ride platforms as Spider-Man: The Ride.

I'd expect a Transformers-branded roller coaster to turn into a ferris wheel.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This whole Marvel/Disney deal has me thinking of an awesome way to reintroduce Marvelman. How about a fully animated Marvelman movie written by Neil Gaiman with Disney's budget behind it? It wouldn't be as dark as Moore's version of course but I'm sure it could still be mature enough for adults to enjoy.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The one good thing that will help Marvel is Disney has vigilant lawyers who can make the Marvelman deal more realistic in getting the good Marvelman stuff reprinted. It's basically a big battering ram with mouse ears crushing the the whole who owns what debate.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nogs wrote: »

Am I missing something? That's a DC comic...

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

i would like nothing more than to hurt you right now.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PLLEEEEAAASSEEE let this somehow lead to another season of Spectacular Spider-Man.

Also, I wonder if this will mean a shake-up in staff, particularly in the area of EiC.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    pretty sure Joey Q isn't going anywhere.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If Brevoort could be shown the door, I wouldn't mind.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

i would like nothing more than to hurt you right now.

Well, that's just not nice.

And I still dont get what that has to do with this topic.

Hensler on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    Warner Bros. doesn't really do anything with DC characters, which is part of the problem.

Yeah, it's not like a Batman movie made a billion dollars or anything. Oh wait, it did.

Yes it did. It's a good thing they've utilized the vast stable of interesting characters that DC has, like Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern to make even more money.

Oh wait they haven't. Which is what I was talking about in the first place.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have no idea why, but I seem to be completely opposed to this.

It's just really weird news to see, I guess.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    [

I'm with huge. My wife and I are both huge travel & theme park nuts (Hell, we got married in Walt Disney World.) and we're big Islands of Adventure fans. The Spider-Man ride is freakin awesome. According to one of the articles I read, of course I can't find the link now, Universal has a contract with Marvel that lasts until 2012. After that point it'll be up to Disney. I'm thinking in 2013 we're going to see some kind of Marvel attraction open up at Walt Disney World.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Warner Bros. doesn't really do anything with DC characters, which is part of the problem.

Yeah, it's not like a Batman movie made a billion dollars or anything. Oh wait, it did.

Yes it did. It's a good thing they've utilized the vast stable of interesting characters that DC has, like Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern to make even more money.

It's also funny because Batman basically covered the debt from its advertising adn teh flop that was Superman.

KVW on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Marvel's had a bumpy ride.
    Bankruptcy in the 90s, being bought by Toy Biz, and now owned by the house of mouse
    so i guess its like
    the house of mouse ideas

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Maybe if Disney puts a bit of pressure on Marvel to up its standards in order to increase sales, bring in new readers, etc, perhaps in the long run it will be good for the industry if DC has to scramble to catch up or stay even with whatever changes Marvel goes through.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Disney could push Marvel into Digital Comics, I suppose. Fresh leadership would be eager to try new things and make more money with its property than it was making before, thus justifying the purchase.

Or maybe they're just interested in the characters.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Or maybe Punisher gets a new pink dress to cater to the Tween girl market.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    DeJesusDeJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    well for sure there will be some marvel characters and inspired rides showing up at the theme parks in the future. I'd love to see how pixar would handle a marvel superhero movie.

I think it we will see a lot more marvel properties on the big and small screens within a couple of years.

This is very exciting news but who knows if it will have a positive or negative affect on the industry.

DeJesus on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Can I get a sweet Beast Vs. The Beast crossover now?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    A friend of mine sketched this today:

newcap.jpg

DMAC on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Glorious.

Tach on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The one thing I dislike about disney is that they make you PAY for everything. Example: Hulu.

Right after purchasing some stuck in Hulu, the CEO of disney goes and mucks it all up by exploring pay models to watch TV on Hulu, which goes against the entire damn point.

This frustrates me because there is a particularly well animated, well produced, and frankly awesome TV show, The Spectacular Spider Man that's on some bumfuzzle channel that I don't get with Comcast, and there's no place to legally watch it online, which I'd like to do, so I can support the show and so on and so forth.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    The one thing I dislike about disney is that they make you PAY for everything. Example: Hulu.

Right after purchasing some stuck in Hulu, the CEO of disney goes and mucks it all up by exploring pay models to watch TV on Hulu, which goes against the entire damn point.

This frustrates me because there is a particularly well animated, well produced, and frankly awesome TV show, The Spectacular Spider Man that's on some bumfuzzle channel that I don't get with Comcast, and there's no place to legally watch it online, which I'd like to do, so I can support the show and so on and so forth.

You should buy the first season on DVD, at least.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    KVW wrote: »

It's also funny because Batman basically covered the debt from its advertising adn teh flop that was Superman.

I assume your referring to the "flop" that you think happened with Superman Returns, as opposed to the modest success that was what actually happened with it?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is coming from someone who is a Marvel Movie nut and should read comic books but doesn't.

From a movie standpoint I think this is a good thing. Disney has the fiscal guns to get the X men and Spiderman rights back. Maybe we can get a watchable Fantastic Four too. Hopefully they will leave marvel studios alone and let them do their thing. Increase the budget obviously.

And to everyone complaining about changing Disney possibly changing Marvel so it appeals to teen girls: Why the hell would they do that? They have that market in their pocket. Disney's get 9-15 girls to waste money on our shit model is working quite well. Find me a fifteen year old boy that will go see a Disney movie that isn't called Pirates of the Caribbean. That's the market they're after.

"Micky will return to Vahalla to plunder and pillage." I guess that could actually happen now....Southpark totally called it.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Or maybe Punisher gets a new pink dress to cater to the Tween girl market.

I understand the joke here, but if anyone is honestly expecting Marvel to all of a sudden go after tween girls by having the Jonas Brothers show up in a Spider-Man comic, I dunno. I mean, this whole thing is supposed to help Disney get boys to pay attention to their stuff.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, they bought Marvel precisely because they felt they didn't have a strong enough hold on young boys, so if they're going to pander to anyone it'll be them.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DeJesus wrote: »
    I'd love to see how pixar would handle a marvel superhero movie.

Remember the Terminator ride?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The ride at Universal Studios? Where they already have a 3D Spider-Man ride?

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [

I'm with huge. My wife and I are both huge travel & theme park nuts (Hell, we got married in Walt Disney World.) and we're big Islands of Adventure fans. The Spider-Man ride is freakin awesome. According to one of the articles I read, of course I can't find the link now, Universal has a contract with Marvel that lasts until 2012. After that point it'll be up to Disney. I'm thinking in 2013 we're going to see some kind of Marvel attraction open up at Walt Disney World.

But don't forget that Marvel's licensing deal with Universal only covers the East coast theme parks - that's why there are no Marvel characters at Universal Hollywood. Disney could have Captain America roaming the streets of Disneyland as soon as this deal is official, just not Disneyworld.

Hensler on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think the Incredibles was a far better superhero movie than The first four batman pictures, Spiderman 3, Fantastic Four 1&2.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Either way, Stan Lee is drinking champagne tonight. Excelsior!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    While it's kind of a bummer to see Marvel give up its autonomy, I don't expect anything to change on the publishing end. Keith Giffen has often remarked that Warner Bros. only rarely remembers they even own a comic company, being immensely more concerned with owning the intellectual property for merchandising purposes.

I expect the DC/Marvel situation to be much the same.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I could see Disney issuing a fiat that basically boils down to "no more sexual violence or gore", since they're a tad more concerned with the image of their properties than Warner Bros.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    I for one welcome Marvel in new installments of kingdom hearts games.

Grath on