As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

notetaking software

Palmer EldritchPalmer Eldritch Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
So I'm going to be taking notes (mostly for history classes) with my netbook so I want something with more notetaking features than Word. What notetaking software do you guys use? Tell me why yours is so awesome.

Dr+Dopefish.png
Palmer Eldritch on

• AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Azio on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Azio wrote: »

Seriously. I started using it a few months ago and it is THE program to use to organize everything. It's in Student edition so I'm guess you probably have it.

It's basically organized like a notebook. You can keep a "notebook" for each class or whatever or however you want to organize it. Then you have tabs for different topics/test sections/chapters/etc. In the tabs you can have pages for each day of notes, or to collect thoughts or however you want to organize it.

On each page, you can import Word/Excel/Powerpoint/E-mails/etc as full text import, or just create a link to the original file if it's something that changes often. You can create separate sections of text so you aren't as limited as you are in Word for formatting. Kinda like if you were to create a text box each time you typed. So you can either continue a text box (as you would in Word), or create a new one so you can organize things more easily.

And that's just part of it all. There's plenty more that you can do that I haven't even worked with yet.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • mkissinmkissin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There's also EverNote, which is very similar to OneNote, but has better integration with the web and mobile devices.

Personally, I use OneNote though. It's pretty great.

mkissin on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EverNote does look pretty cool for free. So if you don't currently have OneNote you could at least try EverNote out first. I dunno if I'd pay a subscription for EverNote though. But then again, I have a sharepoint site I can keep my OneNote notebooks on so I can have the same internet integration as EverNote, but without the size limits or costs. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For what it's worth, I use Evernote for millions of different things (class notes, Getting Things Done, various lists, etc) and I've never come close to reaching the storage limitations of a free account.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Palmer EldritchPalmer Eldritch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    good to know. I actually use openoffice so the office integration of onenote means nothing. I will give Evernote a try.

Palmer Eldritch on
    Dr+Dopefish.png
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The *only* thing Evernote does better than OneNote is syncing between devices. OneNote is far superior in every other way.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Evernote is an excellent, versatile piece of software. I'm not sure if I could live without it.

It's specially useful when using a browser as I can copy an article or a piece of text that I might want to hold on to (with the use of an Evernote button in Firefox thanks to an extension or with the use of a special bookmark in Chrome, for instance: see this page for reference).

Impersonator on
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    OneNotes Win+S snipping tool is very handy at work.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Onenote is my notetaking god. And it's also in the basic office pack now, but since you already mentioned that you use OO, I guess that doesn't really matter much

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    DeathPrawn wrote:
    For what it's worth, I use Evernote for millions of different things (class notes, Getting Things Done, various lists, etc) and I've never come close to reaching the storage limitations of a free account.

I used Evernote when I was in school and actually did hit the storage limit, but that's because I was storing tons of PDFs. All of our class readings were PDF, plus a bunch of articles for papers and such. But it was super helpful for keeping everything organized and the search worked really well.

• JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    wunderbar wrote:
    The *only* thing Evernote does better than OneNote is syncing between devices. OneNote is far superior in every other way.

Bwuh? I sync my note books across several computers, my tablet, my phone, and I can access them online at live.com. I even have one that I share with my workout group, and we all use it from various devices.

JacksWastedLife on