As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Figure Drawing with Cakemikz (NSFW) (Lesson 1 - Gesture)

• LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    grr mine turned out way to bad to send you cake. Sorry mate. I drew them, scanned them in and compared them to the images in an overly and they were not even close. My measurements and relations were not even in the ball park yesterday. Sorry mate you wont be getting drawings from me this time around. I'm going to re-do them on the weekend and see if i can get closer

Leggraphics on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I post my work whether I feel its awful or not, if you cant accept when you make mistakes and ignore it then your not going to improve

Loomdun on
    splat
  • misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    damn my scanner, damn it to hell.

trying to get in on this, off to London for a weekend of debauchery though so don't think I got time to sort it out.

There had better be more of these, technology loses

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorry Dee I was looking at a different reference when I critqued the cambiaso You actually seem to have grasped the concept quite well.

ill try and whip something up just to waste some of ryans time. Make him work for his non money.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited August 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    I post my work whether I feel its awful or not, if you cant accept when you make mistakes and ignore it then your not going to improve

I agree but I know where i went wrong and how to fix that and i want to work on that. I dont want to waste cakes time in telling me about a problem i already know of. Id rather use cake wisely and fix the problem i think that i can by myself and get his help finding the next issue. Im trying to use measurements more accurately like the lines/ grids of a face and where the chin lines up with something else and where the lines meet etc.

its not about feeling ashamed of what i have drawn. I just want to fix this by myself, the ol' you learn best teaching yourself method. Hard to explain

Leggraphics on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just want to fix this by myself, the ol' you learn best teaching yourself method. Hard to explain

It can be difficult to explain things that don't make any sense.

Also, there are only 27.5 hours left for your submissions.

rts on
    edited August 2009
    haha ok ok.. I dont want to send cake something that he will go 'wow thats terrible' that for once I actually know its terrible.. I want to send cake my best efforts for the projects not a half hearted attempt. If that takes two shots at it then it does. As cake said. This task is to help improve ourselfs... so its worth putting your best effort and I know that wasnt my best effort

ok that makes a little sense... haha. Cake the main issue i have it i draw in the boxes or lines for the hip/ crotch or and then draw the one in for the top of the body the spacing is either to far or to close.

Leggraphics on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why don't you stop wasting time making excuses and spend more time drawing?

DeeLock on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i vote that you extend this till monday
    because Berk gets here tomorrow and we dont have time now and we want to make him do it, too

mully on
    edited August 2009
    I also forgot to add. Everyone needs to quit being a punk bitch and skip an episode of whatever sitcom they normally watch, put down the video game controller or stay up one hour later and take advantage of what ryan is offering. ITS FUCKING FREE MONEY! FREE.

having said that.. I need to do a submission now.

Kendeathwalker on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i understand that but we have a dude coming from scotland who would very much enjoy this.
    that being said, i guess we could just do it and not submit it if it were late, anyway.

mully on
    edited August 2009
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Why don't you stop wasting time making excuses and spend more time drawing?

because I am at work and cant have pretty pictures of naked ladies on my screen during office hours lol

Leggraphics on
    edited August 2009
    its not about feeling ashamed of what i have drawn. I just want to fix this by myself, the ol' you learn best teaching yourself method. Hard to explain

because i'm obviously un motivated and have not done anything to improve myself on my own so this concept is obviously out of my grasp, your right it is far to difficult to explain

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited August 2009
    OK I think we can lighten up on Legg now.

rts on
    edited August 2009
    I don't really like the idea of extending the deadline on the first time I set one...it sets a bad precedent...but honestly I don't think I will have enough submissions if I don't. So Monday it is.

rts on
  • RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sweet, sweet extension I've got one done. I'll have something done by monday I promise. Did you want progression shots or just the final product?

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd participate to up your numbers, but it would be a waste of your time.

NotASenator on
  • Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been lurking for a while and really enjoying the thread. Sent sketches Wednesday.

Guy Bell on
    edited August 2009
    Guy Bell wrote: »
    I've been lurking for a while and really enjoying the thread. Sent sketches Wednesday.

I do have them, I was wondering who you were though.

rts on
  • Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was following your other thread because I'm a fan of Jeffery Watt's paintings and then ended up here. My job is very slow in August so I spend more time than usual in forums.

Guy Bell on
  • AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the extension cake, this was the first week of school and I already have all kinds of homework.

Agentflit on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It was my first week of classes as well. I will try to get something done for you.

Scosglen on
  • exitexit Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    sorry about not participating alreaddyyyyy shit got kind of insane with schools & funerals but i will definitely submit something by the extension

exit on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This was really hard! Very much harder than I expected.
    I also discovered that the school scanner really sucks and refused to scan the bottom portion of one of my drawings :(
    The first week of classes has been crazy but since you extended it I just finished all three.

lyrium on
    edited August 2009
    Even though I'm not doing this, I still thought the video was really cool.

NotASenator on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wasn't going to do one since I didn't get back from a vacation until today but since you extended the deadline I'll have one for you on monday.

Food on
    edited August 2009
    Less than 21 hours people.

rts on
    edited September 2009
    Perhaps not posting everyone's work in the thread right away is making people less likely to participate. Maybe it's just that the assignment was so much more specific and involved. I don't know.

But right now I have had 4 people total send me their gesture studies.

There is about 5 and a half hours left to get them in though, so please email them to me if you did them. I cannot justify continuing to do these video lesson things unless there are enough people participating.

rts on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sorry cake, I was sick as shit late last week and over the weekend so I didn't get them finished. I did get one done, but I don't really feel it was my best effort.

Mustang on
    edited September 2009
    my grandma made me watch her do a cartwheel so I couldn't participate

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited September 2009
    I wasnt going to post this here as I deviated quite a bit from the assignment. But just to up participation.

Sketch10
    I listed all my excuses for the fail of this drawing in my thread.:P

Kendeathwalker on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah less than an hour guys and I still only have the four. I guess that's probably all I am going to get.

rts on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Welp if were posting our failures. My shading is still horribly scrappy, I really to get a handle on it because it's becoming a real problem for me. I think I'm being really careful but then when I review it, I realise I wasn't being as careful as I thought.

I don't want to derail this bad boy, so spoilered.
    caken.png
    Also this girl has the oddest toes, I've got money down that she spends way too much time in heels.

Mustang on
    edited September 2009
    cake my scanner is being an ass, it might be a little late but it will be in soon

Agentflit on
    edited September 2009
    gmail is giving me all kinds of server errors

here is my email
    Alright cake I drove over to my friend's house and used his scanner just to get this ugly motherfucker to you

I regret I was not able to devote more time to this, for all the time you have invested

I really appreciate what you are doing!!

gmail is being a bastard whore?? I can't attach files so I have uploaded them here: http://www.flit.cc/AgentflitGesture123Finish.zip

Agentflit on
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Didn't have time to get it in this week.
    Will definitely participate in the next one.

XAL on
  • SlainbylichSlainbylich Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just wanted to say I really appreciate the video, and look forward to the review video. I want to participate, and will on the next one. If anything, doing these things will make me try harder.

Slainbylich on
    edited September 2009
    I have not forgotten about this I am just busy.

rts on
    edited September 2009
    How dare you give up on us.

NotASenator on
    edited September 2009
    By the way, I got a total of 6 submissions. Deelock, Lyrium, Guy Bell, Exit, FoxFanfare, and AgentFlit. If you emailed me and I did not just list your name please let me know.

rts on