As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Pre-Pax Vancouver: FTW (Why have the community threads been locked?)

SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
Why are they being locked? No notice or reason was given? I'm talking about the location specific ones such as Vancouver and Portland.

[Edit] As you can see below we need to continue planning the dinner. Until this is resolved I hope fellow Vancouverites can post here.

PAXFTW2.jpg

PAX FTW! (FOR THE WINGS) NIGHT 2.0 - WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 2ND
Event Organizer: AbsintheMinded

Wings at Wings on Granville: 6:30PM

A night of DS, Wings, DS, booze, DS and a little DS at one of the best wing joints in Vancouver. If they have the nerve to call themselves Wings, you know that their dismembered poultry appendages must be good.

NOTES:
Bring cash. It's much easier to split up the tab with cash...
Bring your DS. Mario Kart and Tetris are the most popular.
Bring BUTTONS!

Event Rooster (39ish):
AbsintheMinded +5
ACC3SS
Asiina
b0wser
deadmetal
degreesplatinum
DiscoGobbo
HonestD
Negitoro +3
Ninjowned
Nuclear Wizard +1
Ogrebeef +2
Parabola
RC Demoral +1
Serenity
SmallLady +1
Sumi +1
Theros
Teenychicka +1
tr0tsky +1
Varcayn
Wormdundee
Yuritau

If you plan on attending, please RSVP below.

See you there!

Original thread:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=93127

Standard Action, it's a webseries.
Sumi on

• Options
    ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    UNLOCK THE VANCOUVER THREAD AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
    WE HAVE AN EVENT WEDNESDAY THAT REQUIRES FURTHER DISCUSSION

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Lol. That's how I feel on the inside.

But seriously. That thread is crucial to us right now.

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sumi, you shouldn't name it the Vancouver Thread II yet. If it's been locked for a reason, creating a new thread is against forum policy.

Naturally, I would love to hear a reason as to why our thread was locked...

If the silence continues, I assume we should move over all the info pertaining to Wings on Wednesday to this OP.

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Okay thanks, I'll change the name back. It's kind of just a bad time and it looks like Moe left.

Sumi on
  • Options
    AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know threads can get auto-locked on some forums when they reach a certain number of posts, which is originally what I thought happened to the original thread.... but I've noticed all the Pre-PAX city threads (Portland, Calli and the general Seattle one) are all locked as well, so it's not just us.

That being said I haven't heard any reason yet either, or been notified that such threads are no longer welcome. If we're being shunted off in an attempt to clean this board up a bit (by we, I mean community events threads/groups) I'll galdly throw up an alternative freeforum or something to plan these community events on.

Just need a little direction on what the change in policy is excactly. :?

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I know threads can get auto-locked on some forums when they reach a certain number of posts, which is originally what I thought happened to the original thread.... but I've noticed all the Pre-PAX city threads (Portland, Calli and the general Seattle one) are all locked as well, so it's not just us.

That being said I haven't heard any reason yet either, or been notified that such threads are no longer welcome. If we're being shunted off in an attempt to clean this board up a bit (by we, I mean community events threads/groups) I'll galdly throw up an alternative freeforum or something to plan these community events on.

Just need a little direction on what the change in policy is excactly. :?

Well there's a new sticky up for people planning things while in Seattle. Maybe someone just figured all of our events were over and our thread was obsolete?

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Alright...

Spoke to Cuzza via IRC. He will speak to Moe about this situation tomorrow morning. I don't know if he was offering his own view, or discussed this with Moe, but he seems to think that all Pre-PAX events are over. Apparently other Pre-PAX threads turned into lengthy social discussions. Perhaps they deemed this thread unnecessary.

That being said, I am not sure that Moe locked the thread, but he was posting around the same time, and there are few moderators.

REGARDLESS...

We need to be able to discuss our upcoming Wings night. People are still RSVPing, and we need a head-count for our reservation.

Sumi, might as well go ahead and change this back to a Vancouver Thread II. I'll take any flak you catch if there are repercussions. You can update the OP with the following information:

EDIT: MOVED TO OP

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Done. Also, Serenity gave a verbal Rsvp at Jimz, I don't know if he posted yet.

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    Done. Also, Serenity gave a verbal Rsvp at Jimz, I don't know if he posted yet.

He posted. Please add him to the OP.

I'm not sure the last time our head-count was updated... I'll give it a quick once over.

EDIT: And don't forget the picture! hehe

EDIT2: Add b0wser to the confirmed attendees, please.

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sweet does this mean I don't have to update the RSVP list anymore? *owes Moe a drink for that* :winky:

With Serenity we'd be up to 38.

I honestly missed his RSVP as it was tacked onto praise about Jimz night. I've got all the one's added after that already.

Looks like I may need to up the reservation above 40 now.... I can double-check on the madatory gratutity question tomorrow if/when I need to call to modify the reservation.

EDIT:
    ACC3SS wrote: »
    Spoke to Cuzza via IRC. He will speak to Moe about this situation tomorrow morning. I don't know if he was offering his own view, or discussed this with Moe, but he seems to think that all Pre-PAX events are over. Apparently other Pre-PAX threads turned into lengthy social discussions. Perhaps they deemed this thread unnecessary.

Really? Cultural note for future reference: Not sure how it is south of the border, but Canadians party until the last possible minute. :P

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    He posted. Please add him to the OP.

Yes, you are right. Apparently Serenity did post an Rsvp. I even went so far as to quote it yet I still didn't remember. Oh I am so smrt sometimes.

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

b0wser isn't on there. 39.

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

o_O This is going to be intense. Hopefully we will have more than one server. Regardless, I do not envy them.

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

When did he RSVP for FTW Night?

Albeit... that's pretty sweet, 'bout time we lured him out of his castle.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I was going to question that too. I thought it best not to question ACC3SS. Anyways he's on the roster, he has to come now.

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

When did he RSVP for FTW Night?

Albeit... that's pretty sweet, 'bout time we lured him out of his castle.

Actually, I'm wrong. I think he meant he was attending the Abbotsford raid.

My lack of reading comprehension is a sure sign that I should go to bed. :P

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    He will be there in spirit anyways.

Yeah I'm at the point where stupid things are funny. Like my overwhelming desire to spell roster, "rooster".

Looks like bed time for me too.

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Actually, I'm wrong. I think he meant he was attending the Abbotsford raid.

My lack of reading comprehension is a sure sign that I should go to bed. :P

I'm pretty sure that was for the Abbotsford Raid.

Sleepy ACC3SS is headcount-happy. :P
    Yeah I was going to question that too. I thought it best not to question ACC3SS. Anyways he's on the roster, he has to come now.

Have I told you lately how much I love how you think? lol.

Sadly that strategy might not work though. You and Eric driving to his place and abducting him on your way into town might work better. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sadly that strategy might not work though. You and Eric driving to his place and abducting him on your way into town might work better. :winky:

Now that you mention it, I'm not even sure how I'm getting there. Worst case scenario I'm driving from Abby to Tsawwassen to Vancouver then to Tsawwassen and to Abby afterward. I will be there though, promise.

Sumi on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Someone needs to call them and let them know... Yeah like 40 people are going.

parabola on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Now that you mention it, I'm not even sure how I'm getting there.

See if B0wser can drive you. :winky:
    Yeah I'm at the point where stupid things are funny. Like my overwhelming desire to spell roster, "rooster".

This is a wings night.... changing it to 'Event Rooster' is completely acceptable and appropriate.
    parabola wrote: »
    Someone needs to call them and let them know... Yeah like 40 people are going.

We've had a reservation in place for about two weeks. :)

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

This is a wings night.... changing it to 'Event Rooster' is completely acceptable and appropriate.

And makes me a very happy girl too.

Sumi on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know I've nothing to do with this event... just wanted to sorta defend Moe here for a sec...

Moe, as you know, is on the CCST, and therefor unable to do much forum moderating while gone, so he needs to do as much as possible before he leaves.

He decided to lock down the Seattle thread, since he didn't want people cluttering it up and being annoying with "LAWL I'm here now LETS SO SOMETHING" and such. Also, because as it is PAX week, its not REALLY pre-pax time anymore :P

It seems he decided, just on principle, to lock the other threads as well.

I'm sure it wasn't personal, he's just trying to make his volunteer job easier, and make the forums run a bit smoother :)

Also, don't quote me on this, but he probably doesn't have an issue with this second thread, since you guys clearly have need of it.

Hope you guys have fun, and can't wait to see you at PAX! :D

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Snickers wrote: »
    Also, because as it is PAX week, its not REALLY pre-pax time anymore :P

Are you sure about that? The Pre-PAX Dinner is this Thursday. :P

Alright, sarcasm tured off for a second here: I think we were more thrown off because this is our second year doing the FTW Night on the Wednesday before PAX and last year our Pre-PAX thread was not locked down until after PAX was over. Also the last half dozen posts were all on-topic discussion about how bill spliting and gratuties would work for this event as well as another three people RSVPing.

I am all for locking and getting rid of all the random and repeat threads that plague this forum this time of year... but ours was decidedly active, relevant and on-topic. Hence our concern for why it was locked down (including my concern that there was a change in forum policy and ACC3SS's concern that we wouldn't be allowed to start a new thread for this event).

Anyway if this was a simple oversight by Moe (if it was even Moe that locked it), considering what he has on his plate this time of year it is understandable and accordingly he really doesn't need defending from us. Our only concern is confirming we are still permitted to plan our Vancouver based community events here and that this thread won't be immediately locked tomorrow.

EDIT:

/Semi-Off Topic: back to RSVPs for the event and reservation discussions: :wink:

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    SenicksSenicks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The menu seem delicious so I will come down to this. Add one more and a DS to RSVP plz :P

Senicks on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2009
    I have no idea why moe locked your threads but you can't just remake a locked thread, it's incredibly rude. Talk to Moe.

Tube on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2009
    PAX is Friday, today is Tuesday. Sorry, I forgot you guys had one more event, but I was clearing the Pre-PAX threads to make way for PAX.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.