As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Job Preformance

ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Yup, I spelled Performance wrong...

Howdy, just a quick work etiquette question. So, essentially I work in tech support, and every tech support call we get, we have to log into this system, here's the problem, what'd it do, what happened, where's it from and so on.

In the past I've gotten in a little heat for either forgetting to log the calls, or they just wouldn't show up after I had logged them.

Today I get an e-mail about calls I did log, and how I did some troubleshooting stuff wrong. A few of the calls are my fault, either I was swamped or pre-occupied with other issues, but a few of them I think I'm pretty capable of defending my actions, what have you.

My question is, should I? I hate to be the "well I thought this at the time" guy, and making excuses, etc. It should also be noted the e-mail came from a coworker, who sent it to my boss, who sent it to me, forgetting to remove my coworker's e-mail signature.

I suppose I should also note the job has been particularly accommodating to me whenever I've needed it, such as letting me work remotely during school etc etc etc.

Though in my defense I can count on one hand the number of times I've called out in 2+ years.

So, do I respond to the e-mail saying I'll make a better effort

Respond to the e-mail saying heres what my logic was for each specific issue that's now so far in the past it doesn't matter anymore,

Or just not respond at all.

ANTVGM64 on

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think responding in some way is a good idea. Whether you explain your actions or just say "No problem, I'll keep that in mind next time" really depend on the exact situation, your relationship with your boss, etc. though. Even if you explain your actions, don't present it as an "I'm right and you're wrong. I should have done this." just explain that it seemed the best option at the time and if that was inappropriate, then it won't happen again.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Will there be any disciplinary action, or is it just a heads up?

If it's just a heads up, take it on the chin. No sense getting into a disagreement when it's just going to blow over.

If there's disciplinary action, talk to your boss... don't make an issue of "he said, she said" with the coworker... just state your case and be level-headed about it.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2009
    I think you should respond to your boss letting him know this is something you'd like to discuss further in your next 1:1, and in that meeting ask them for advice on how to prevent these issues from coming up in the future.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, if you were pre-occupied, that's almost as good as not being at work...think I've heard it referred to as "presentee-ism". It's essentially where people show up, but aren't really there if you know what I mean. I wouldn't mention your stellar record on showing up and in the same breath talk about how you weren't really paying attention to what you were doing when you were there if I were you.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well by pre-occupied I mean that at any given point I'm solving 2-3 issues because when I am on, I'm the only person supporting something like 300 locations across the country, so something like forgetting a password reset gets pushed to the back burner when, say, another location doesn't have things like internet, or phone, or capable employees.

And god forbid i have to fix a printer.

I think the problem is that my fellow employees sometimes have the luxury of time on their side, if they're not troubleshooting and instead following up, logging,, likely someone else IS troubleshooting, where as I am off by myself.

It's also worth noting the time span between the troubleshooting problem I took (and apparently didn't fix) and then the one my coworker took (and fixed) it sometimes greater than a week.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd suggest responding and indicate that there are times that you are swamped and that you recognize this and are working to improve your performance in this regard. Then state that you believe you did provide the correct support in the situations indicated but that if there are specific advice that could be shared to better improve performance, you are always open to the suggestions and advice of coworkers.

Having done my time in tech support, i found it useful to keep a notepad to write down the details of a call and then move it to the computer tracking system when I had a free moment (for us, it was always easier to jot down a sentence or two than deal with the clunky ticket tracker). You just have to remember to hit that list up whenever you have the time (such as the last 10 minutes of your day if you must). Keep it stickied to your monitor or something as a reminder.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you have a good explanation for one mistake, great. If you try to explain them all, that just sounds like you're making excuses and can't own up to mistakes.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I work in tech support as well and I can't imagine a scenario where 100% accuracy in troubleshooting and 100% first call resolution is too be expected...

Are you sure this information isn't just helpful feedback? something to keep in mind in the future?

I know that I have a monthly meeting with my immediate superior just to go over stuff like this, and it's never more than "hey keep an eye on that will ya".

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Combine this:
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    If you have a good explanation for one mistake, great. If you try to explain them all, that just sounds like you're making excuses and can't own up to mistakes.

With this:
    I'd suggest responding and indicate that there are times that you are swamped and that you recognize this and are working to improve your performance in this regard. Then state that you believe you did provide the correct support in the situations indicated but that if there are specific advice that could be shared to better improve performance, you are always open to the suggestions and advice of coworkers.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    LavaKnight and friends have it right. I worked in the customer service industry for about 5 years and have used those tactics the entire time and have always gotten the situation resolved quickly. People don't like to hear excuses, even if they're true.

Scrum on