As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Government pay scales and the paying thereof

LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out if I'm being underpaid by my employer . . . the feds. I took a job that initially paid $10 an hour. Then I was shifted to another job for the same organization which pays GS-5 on the federal payscale. My understanding was that this would be in about the $15 range. Foolishly, I never got it in writing (or anything "official" acknowledging my shift to this new position, oddly.)

Today I was looking through my old pay stubs and I thought they seemed low. I did the math and I am being paid about $12.95 an hour. I say "about" because they randomly pay me a little less or a little more some weeks, like one week it broke down to $12.79 an hour, another it was $13.60 an hour. o_O (This is all before taxes, SS, and Medicare are taken out, of course.) I called my boss and he contacted the paycheck people (Accounting or whoever), who told him a) $12.95 is the GS-5 pay and b) the amount fluxes week by week, but averages out to $12.95.

Anyway, I am trying to find something online to confirm what the GS-5 pay range is. I know it varies based on the Step you're at, but $12.95 seems low even for Step 1. Maybe I'm just crazy, I don't know. I know my boss DID quote the job at $15 an hour when I applied for it, but I didn't get anything in writing, stupid me. Does GS vary from state to state or from job-type to job-type? I wouldn't think so, because it's FEDERAL not state, but I want to make sure before I pursue this further.

LadyM on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the hourly rate of a GS-05 step 1 is 12.95/hour with a 19.43 overtime rate. http://www.opm.gov/oca/09tables/pdf/gs_h.pdf

that is however, before you incorporate in any kind of locality pay which you should also be getting. look here to find out where you live and what you should be getting. http://www.opm.gov/oca/compmemo/2008/2008-22-Attach2.pdf

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    well doing some quick math based on this government payscale shows general schedule 5, as earning 27k annual, which does break down to approx 12.99/h.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanks, that's helpful. Do you know what this table is supposed to be showing, because it's what I was going off of:

http://opm.gov/oca/09tables/html/RUS_h.asp

When it says it's for "rest of the US" do they really mean some specific parts of the US?

I'm still not sure why they were paying slightly different hourly rates on some weeks . . . It wasn't due to overtime, as overtime is calculated on a separate line and I was only looking at "regular" hours/pay. But I don't think it's worth fighting over a few pennies either . . .

LadyM on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A GS 5 step 1 doesn't make very much, but there's no place in the country that I'm aware of that doesn't have a locality pay increase applied to it. What region do you live in?

Also, varying pay sounds very strange. I'd have to go look at my old pay stubs for when I worked in the government, but that doesn't sound like something that should be happening.

EDIT: I'm sure what they mean by "Rest of US" is just every place that isn't specifically mentioned.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The organization's headquarters is based in Portland, however I live in eastern Washington.

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    LadyM wrote: »
    Thanks, that's helpful. Do you know what this table is supposed to be showing, because it's what I was going off of:

http://opm.gov/oca/09tables/html/RUS_h.asp

When it says it's for "rest of the US" do they really mean some specific parts of the US?

I'm still not sure why they were paying slightly different hourly rates on some weeks . . . It wasn't due to overtime, as overtime is calculated on a separate line and I was only looking at "regular" hours/pay. But I don't think it's worth fighting over a few pennies either . . .

this one shows locality pay estimated from where you live.

it isn't always accurate but it is the minimum they have to give you if you live in that area.

http://www.opm.gov/oca/compmemo/2008/2008-22-Attach2.pdf

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If you work in one of these counties, you get a 21.06% locality pay.

Island Co. WA
    King Co. WA
    Kitsap Co. WA
    Mason Co. WA
    Pierce Co. WA
    Skagit Co. WA
    Snohomish Co. WA
    Thurston Co. WA
    Whatcom Co. WA

that equates to 15.67/hr

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    See, this is where I'm getting confused. The locality I fit into from that list is "Rest of the US" and the "Rest of the US" payscale (the one I linked to in a previous post) shows $14.74 per hour for GS-5 Step 1. The definition they list for "Rest of the US" is "Those portions of the 48 contiguous States not located within another locality pay area." If my logic is flawed on this LMK, like I said I am hashing all this out in my head before hashing it out with Accounting.

Nope, not in any of those counties, Dunadan.

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    LadyM wrote: »
    See, this is where I'm getting confused. The locality I fit into from that list is "Rest of the US" and the "Rest of the US" payscale (the one I linked to in a previous post) shows $14.74 per hour for GS-5 Step 1. The definition they list for "Rest of the US" is "Those portions of the 48 contiguous States not located within another locality pay area." If my logic is flawed on this LMK, like I said I am hashing all this out in my head before hashing it out with Accounting.

Nope, not in any of those counties, Dunadan.

13.86% locality on 12.95 is indeed 14.74/hr

just tell accounting that you are not recieving your locality pay that is owed you.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just sent an e-mail to them outlining the localities, with plenty of links to the various GS pages. Thanks guys, this thread was a big help. I'll update when I hear from them. :)

LadyM on
  • Options
    ink4n3ink4n3 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    On a side note, I'm on the ND pay scale so it may not be the same but my hourly wage is listed on my pay stubs. It has my basic hourly rate and overtime rate as well as my yearly salary.

ink4n3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    My hourly wage isn't listed on the stubs, although it was listed when I was at $10.00 an hour in the previous position. I calculated the current hourly rates they paid me from gross weekly earnings divided by number of hours worked (which is listed.)

LadyM on
  • Options
    OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought all the Fed Agencies had gone to Employee Express? That clearly shows every minute detail of your pay calculations/deductions.

Also, if you changed position/grade/step at ALL you should have gotten a handy dandy "Notification of Personnel Action" invoice, that includes your old and new positions (with salary information and such), and usually a PD (Position Description) for your new position/Grade. Granted, this is the government we're talking about. I've gotten them 4 months after being in a new position. Still, worth asking about if you want it in writing.

Oricalm on
    Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • Options
    PandionPandion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DoD isn't using Employee Express, we got MyPay and we're able to see our biweekly pay check online using it (including being able to see our hourly wage rate).

The SF50 usually doesn't show up until a few months after the personnel change but you should be able to see a copy online. Not sure what agency LadyM is supporting tho. The agencies use different online systems.

Talk to your HR people and let them take a look at it. Just get ready for the wait.

Pandion on