As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX World Record Attempt - Good To Go!

• VaxVax Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    I'm totally game for getting in on this, but does anyone know (or can anyone find out) what the current record is? It would be good for those participating to have an idea how close we're getting when the moment arrives.

Vax on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Vax wrote: »
    I'm totally game for getting in on this, but does anyone know (or can anyone find out) what the current record is? It would be good for those participating to have an idea how close we're getting when the moment arrives.

The current record is something pitiful like 230 DS'es

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • muttonheadmuttonhead Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm in for this, I could also bring my DS Phat if someone needs one

muttonhead on
    @muttonhead104|!Hufflepuff|Team !Bulbasaur!
  • BichnKittenBichnKitten Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So how do we par-take? We just need to bring our DS...and then someone says turn it on? Sorry i'm such a noob.

Do we have to have a certain game?

BichnKitten on
    Yes...their real
  • razoredgrazoredg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    bring a DS, a game, and head to where the scheduled event location is. when you arrive, make sure your DS is tallied and start playing! (if your battery is low id advise waiting until the official tally starts to start it up and begin playing, dont wanna be the odd one out :)

razoredg on
    Razoredg--X13 Counting the days till Prime 2010!
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    razoredg wrote: »
    bring a DS, a game, and head to where the scheduled event location is. when you arrive, make sure your DS is tallied and start playing! (if your battery is low id advise waiting until the official tally starts to start it up and begin playing, dont wanna be the odd one out :)

or just make sure it's charged before you go?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    Vax wrote: »

The current record is something pitiful like 230 DS'es

Why do I have a sinking suspicion that shortly after shattering the world record for most DSes being played simultaneously, the crowd will accidently set the world record for most penis's drawn in PictoChat simultaneously.

I'll have my DS on hand ready to join in (the actual record attempt) as long as I don't end up being scheduled somewhere else during this.

Edit: Also after a quick bit of googling:
    The record is 381 set by a group of Austrailian kids in 2007
    DS London attempted to break it last year and epic failed, only garnering 133, with a lot of build up and hype.

But we can do better. Lets break a bunch of kids hearts and knock them out of the record book!
    I think there might even be a good make a strip comic in that sentiment. :)

AbsintheMinded on
  • mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    381? We break that every year at PAX. Just a thought, who would get the record plaque thing they send to record holders?

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • razoredgrazoredg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I say tycho/gave oughta get the plaque... Since they started the comic that began this whole (amazing) fiasco.

razoredg on
    Razoredg--X13 Counting the days till Prime 2010!
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well Heels has been the one filling out the official paperwork, but I'm sure it would be noted in the record that it was a group a gamers at PAX. I haven't asked heels what the plan is for the plaque that we'll receive, but it'd probably go to Gabe n Tycho or something...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
    edited August 2009
    yeah that could make a good comic, they get the plaque then get attacked by 381 Australian ankle biters.

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
    edited August 2009
    mavrick88 wrote: »
    381? We break that every year at PAX. Just a thought, who would get the record plaque thing they send to record holders?

I expect it would find a place of honour on the wall of the PA office.

And then hopefully copied and printed onto a poster that we can all buy from the store.

And yes 381 has probably been unofficially beaten at PAX multiple times now. As long as we don't get too cocky, it should be a breeze. But that is what DS London thought.

It's all about defeating the children. When you think of all those sweet little kids, with their big puppy dog eyes sobbing about being knocked out of the record book remember: Children already have the future, damned if we're letting them keep this record too!

Then if you still feel bad, buy a cookie. (All proceeds go to Childs Play). :P

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    record #2 most cookies sold simultaneously.

mavrick88 on
  • ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll make a new thread closer to PAX with all of the official details like time place and rules. Essentially, show up to the right place, have a DS, have a game, play it for about 5 mins, cheer like maniacs at end of 5 mins, go on with your bad PAX self.

Scoots on
    edited August 2009
    Anyone want to take a wild guess to how many we get? I say 1337

mavrick88 on
  • HyperneticHypernetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This sounds cool. Quick question though, it may sound stupid, but do DSi's count? Wouldn't want to screw up the record. I have both so, either way.

Hypernetic on
  • CRCelfCRCelf Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm in! Now all we need is for PAX to get here!

CRCelf on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    @ Hypernetic: I don't see why DSi's wouldn't count, so you should be fine.

Also, the poster idea is cool, but I think it would better done for a t-shirt. I mean, if something like crowds of people tossing a ball around the building at PAX06 turned into a t-shirt, this should as well.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PAX schedule is up, I'll see you folks at 8:30pm on Friday night!

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    woot woot

8:30pm friday night. It's in the program and everything.

The_Reflection on
  • BichnKittenBichnKitten Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think i'm missing something...where in the schedule does it talk about the DS event?? I don't want to miss it :)

BichnKitten on
    Yes...their real
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think i'm missing something...where in the schedule does it talk about the DS event?? I don't want to miss it :)

Under the "Queue Room" column for Friday. And I will be there as well, can't wait!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • HammyHammy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »

Also, the poster idea is cool, but I think it would better done for a t-shirt. I mean, if something like crowds of people tossing a ball around the building at PAX06 turned into a t-shirt, this should as well.

I would honestly have someone check this out, because I can see Guinness getting picky with these things.

Hammy on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have a question: I plan to be playing Korg- DS-10 sythesizer on my DSi during the event, the trouble is, does that cound as a 'game'? If not I'll have to play something more traditional like Civ Rev or something. Any thoughts?

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited August 2009
    Hammy wrote: »
    Coldbrew wrote: »

I would honestly have someone check this out, because I can see Guinness getting picky with these things.

The DS:London attempt clearly noted that they were using a mix of original DS and DS Lite, and Guinness had no issue with that. Should be no reason why the DSi wouldn't count if the other two models did.

AbsintheMinded on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    uh could everyone go get an import copy of Daigasso! Band Brothers and play orchestra mode? :p

(the mode let's an unlimited amount of people who have a copy play the same song in sync at the same time. it'd be hilarious having 2000+ people all playing famicom/mario/zelda medley)

and yes this is a joke i never expect to happen T_T

definately gong to be there for the world record though

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited August 2009
    No worries, there is fancy paperwork stating that DS, Lite and DSi are all allowed.

Scoots on
  • basserbasser Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I and my clunkly old release-day-bought, duct-taped, bestickered and cracked DS phat will be there with a copy of mario kart! :D I'll make sure to gather all of my cosplay party together as well, and anyone else I happen to pick up. Perhaps someone should run around being a 'cryer' and gathering people 10-20 minutes beforehand? I can volunteer for that, actually. I'm fast and loud and will be wearing an eye-catching red jacket.

basser on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    2327178KMZwS.png
    I am Paladin, short and stout,
    Here is my hammer, here is my mount,
    When I see the Horde you'll hear me shout,
    Time to pop a bubble and hearth right out!
    edited August 2009
    I will gladly make a fool of myself running around announcing it beforehand also. you take expo hall ill take the rest of the center?

mavrick88 on
    edited August 2009
    hahaha Thanks peoples! I'm glad everyone is excited for this. But I don't want y'all to get in trouble, so we'll have Enforcers let everyone know the British are coming. :D

Scoots on
    edited August 2009
    Scoots wrote: »
    hahaha Thanks peoples! I'm glad everyone is excited for this. But I don't want y'all to get in trouble, so we'll have Enforcers let everyone know the British are coming. :D

Aww, fine. But if you need a cute girl to be your mascot or whatever promise you'll hit me up! I can be quite the attention-getter if I want to be. ;)

basser on
    2327178KMZwS.png
  • JeppyJeppy Maple Valley WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    basser wrote: »

Aww, fine. But if you need a cute girl to be your mascot or whatever promise you'll hit me up! I can be quite the attention-getter if I want to be. ;)

Picture please... :winky:

Jeppy

Jeppy on
    edited August 2009
    Jeppy wrote: »
    basser wrote: »

Picture please... :winky:

Jeppy

There's one on my forum profile. :winky:

basser on
    2327178KMZwS.png
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alright so I got my DS and will be all set to break a record. Though aside from Pokemon Pearl I'm going to have to rent two games from Gamefly which will be readily available by the others for gaming in a multiplayer like set up. I know Mario Kart DS, Tetris DS, and Clubhouse Games can be good choices to rent out and bring along, but what are some others?

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • momopeachesmomopeaches Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So... I think I just might bring both of my DSs. I have a DS lite and a DSi. I really do like the lite more... So exciting!

momopeaches on
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not seeing anything on the schedule...so when and where is this taking place?

JonnyNero on
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    I'm not seeing anything on the schedule...so when and where is this taking place?

It's on the schedule, but it's easy to miss.

http://www.paxsite.com/schedule.pdf

Go to the second page, the "Gaming Schedule" page... it's Friday, 8:30pm in the Queue Room. Titled "DS World Record Attempt" in green box with black lettering.

DJBreslin on
  • MLORDMLORD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    we have at least 4-9 more wanting to help :) see you at the site day of! :)

MLORD on
    M.LORD
    Staticwave Entertainment
    AIM DJMLORD2001
    edited September 2009
    Just remember to be near the line room by 8:30 on friday! See everyone there.

Scoots on
  • RadiantRevanRadiantRevan Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    So (just to double check)

We meet up in the Queue Room, and it begins at 8:30pm.

Do we all need to play the same same game, or does it matter?

RadiantRevan on
This discussion has been closed.