As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Handheld Tournament Guide

2»

• Kenji-SanKenji-San Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I'm actually quite content with the Ruleset. It's nice that we have all the essential Clauses down (Sleep, OHKO, Evasion, etc.). Good job with everything you've done so far, Scoots.

Kenji-San on
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    =( I won't even be there on Sunday. Just wanted to bring up the Wobb thing since it was surprising to me. The team I want to make is NU/UU anyways, haha.

You might also want to include Wynaut to the banned list, as it is Wobbuffet's pre-evolved form and has the same moves/abilities. Just to be super anal about the rules because people WILL try to exploit it if they can.

cocowoushi on
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Scoots wrote: »
    If there are more than 2 people bitching and moaning about these rules at PAX maybe something will change.

Not complaining, just making sure everything is clear - which I think it is after that last mount question was answered. This is swiftly becoming one of my most anticipated PAX events this year, really looking forward to it.

I am wondering if my Level 50 Wizard is even worth entering - a spell stripped Wizard will get clobbered by a Warrior with high combat skill. What do other PQ vets think, I am not sure.

Poor guy running the tournaments, I can see why he thinks everyone is whining about the rules.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • reediculousreediculous Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Ferquin wrote: »
    It's gonna be a huge pain in the ass registering each other's friend codes just to auto level in Wi-Fi. It'll be less of a hassle if we did just use local wireless with manual Lv. 50s.
    Well we ARE going to be there for like, five hours. It's not like we wouldn't have the time to do it anyway.

reediculous on
    just gonna be focusing on pokemanz kbye
  • Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It gives an interesting twist. With three of the most OU OU pogeys gone, certain MS aren't as necessary any more. I think it will be a fun and interesting difference from the regular battles I see.

I wish I knew why though... There is a top 25 Used pogey list somewhere. If you are interested in it Scoots I could go dig it up. There isn't much time left though for those people that have to remake essential parts of their team, so I don't reccomend swinging the ban hammer any more XD
    WTF? All the good dragons are gone?

I guess Flygon and Kingdra aren't good anymore?
    It's gonna be a huge pain in the ass registering each other's friend codes just to auto level in Wi-Fi. It'll be less of a hassle if we did just use local wireless with manual Lv. 50s.

Uhm, it takes maybe a minute to enter a FC. Being able to auto-level is a great help.

Blackfox138 on
  • ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The 5 hours timeslot is less "wow this battle is taking forever" and more "wait, are you sure that's your friend code? is everyone here? where did my next match go?" etc etc.
    I decided to add all of the psudo legengaries just to cover bases. And no, no more banhammer. It's too soon to change things now since tomorrow i'll be at the convention center. >_>
    I don't know about most of you, but my friends and I still watch over eachother's shoulders when playing games on our DS'. Not using PBR was a very conscious effort to keep the tournament handheld centered. Plus, we have less room than the last couple years because of department musical chairs. Not much room for a tv/stage set up and a ton of people watching unfortunately.

And, as far as exploiting rules goes. No matter how anal you get, there is invariably going to be someone that finds a loophole and uses it just because they can. I like to think that we have fewer of those types per capita at PAX. This is definitely an expansion year for HH and PAX in general. Here's to growing pains!

- Scoots

P.S. This is the last night i'll have consistent tube access until or after PAX, so see you there!

P.P.S I'm a chick btw. But my deputy is a dude.

Scoots on
    edited September 2009
    I hope this all works out! Thanks for putting up with our constant "clarifications".

Here's to a smooth running tourney!

Blackfox138 on
  • FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It gives an interesting twist. With three of the most OU OU pogeys gone, certain MS aren't as necessary any more. I think it will be a fun and interesting difference from the regular battles I see.

I wish I knew why though... There is a top 25 Used pogey list somewhere. If you are interested in it Scoots I could go dig it up. There isn't much time left though for those people that have to remake essential parts of their team, so I don't reccomend swinging the ban hammer any more XD
    Hey, while we're at it, let's just ban all the OUs and maybe any other Pokémon that's fun to use... Let's see how fun that is.
    I guess Flygon and Kingdra aren't good anymore?
    When I think dragons, Dragonite, Salamence, and Garchomp usually pop up in my head since they're the most dragon-looking dragons. Yes, I'm well aware of Flygon and Kingdra being good Dragon types. I never said they were not good. Please stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to say no to this tourney. With the extremely limited time I have to put together a team to fit your new restrictions, not only is it not possible for me to create a good enough team to participate, but in my opinion, some of these restrictions like banning pseudo-legendaries and no evasion are asinine.

I apologize for the whining; I really wanted to participate, but I just simply disagree with the format. I'm not trying to be bitter or mean spirited about this, so good luck with your tourney.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
    edited September 2009
    *sigh* there goes a potential player...

No evasion should be expected, it's been on tourney and casual matches for as long as I can remember. The only rules that IMO are worthy of complaining about are the bannage, especially this close to the event. But seeing as how we aren't in charge of rules, all we can do is find a way to make a team the fits the rules, rather than making rules that fit our team.

And if you didn't know, UU and NU is a perfectly acceptable tourney style. Just not the most common as it restricts the game play a ton.

You're the one the said "All the good dragons are gone" and since Kingdra and Flygon aren't gone, by your logic there are not in your category of good dragon.

Blackfox138 on
  • GranasGranas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Don't forget altaria. It never gets the love.

It actually is a nice set of rules. Without the overwhelming fear of Salamance and the like, you can have a lot more varied team rather than having to worry about counter this and counter that.

Without having to pack an Ice move on two thirds of my team, I get to have more original sets. :mrgreen:

Granas on
    edited September 2009
    Wait, Altaria is part dragon?

*goes to check*

Wow... I just thought it was a cool looking pile of clouds and bird(?) parts.

That's what I was trying to explain, however it's pretty late to be swinging the ban hammer. If this were a couple of weeks ago I don't think there would be as many complaints. Anyone who had/tried to make a team before the rules were set were screwed when things that aren't normally banned became.

Ah well, we won't know what happens until Sunday. Good luck everyone!

Blackfox138 on
    edited September 2009
    Too bad Pokeman failed, or rather the wifi... >.> it looks like next time, because I hope there will be a next time, PBR or set level is a must to avoid the blue screen of disconnection.

I was in line for L4D 2, trying to get a shirt for my sister before the tourney. It didn't look like I would have enough time to play so I ran down to the tourney, waited about an hour >.< I ended up getting a first round by and didn't get to play anyone. I saw the 100 only mini tourney, but since it was 50 cap earlier I only had 50s. Major dissapointment. No shirt and no battles. Ah well, now I have a half decent deffensive sandstorm team for later?

All this planning and rule moding and we couldn't check the wifi the day before... >.>

Blackfox138 on
  • ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Every year we try to make it so the wifis don't get super clogged with DS action, and every year it seems to not be enough, but we don't know this until the problem actually arises. So yes, kinks to work out.

Other tourney notes:
    We were pleasantly surprised with the Dissidia turn out.
    The reigning "tetris guy" from the past few years was dethroned! It was crazy.
    For whatever reason, playing Mario Kart at night means less swearing. I figured there would be more.

Scoots on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Scoots wrote: »
    Other tourney notes:
    The reigning "tetris guy" from the past few years was dethroned! It was crazy.

Whaat? Was it the guy who beat me in the third round? I was kind of looking forward to try and move up the brackets for a rematch, but I was off of my game and made stupid mistakes and lost in straight games.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I believe the guy who beat me was playing with the handle "Chris". I fled in shame after losing to him in the semi-finals so I didn't stick around to see if he won the whole thing.

Hirocon on
  • KevinDDRKevinDDR Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Chris completely demolished me in the final of the TDS tournament. It was totally unexpected! Chris, post if you're here!! I wanna talk to you!

KevinDDR on
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anything for winning the PQ tourney?

I crammed real hard for that one on the plane, too.

PQ 2009 World Champion, signing off.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
This discussion has been closed.