As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mensch-O-Matic's Hiatus-O-Matic (end of page for nuuz)

mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Artist's Corner
So: I've been lurking for a bit, touched the doodle thread a bit, but I haven't tossed up my own thread yet here at the AC. There's a lot here so I'll divide it into sections; so far nothing really nsfw but I'll change the title if that changes later on.

Let's start with some studies!
handsketchreffed.png

all from various references except for one, I BET YOU CAN'T GUESS WHICH

sketch4.png

none of these were referenced so that I could see what I knew about hands from memory. the answer is: nothing

sketch7.png

posemaniacs is my special friend

For the last week or so I've been having trouble finding time/patience to actually draw, so I've been putting aside ten minutes a day to fill a 500x500 pixel canvas. somehow these are the LEAST horrifying of them:
sketch1.png

the first one, which actually took closer to 15 minutes and that I'm only throwing up for comparison months from now (one day I'll look back and be comforted with the fact that, at the very least, I'd be better then than I am now. and then I'll hurl myself off of a building)

sketch5.png

with this one I just threw on as many details as I could onto a figure. i see that she looks as uncomfortable being drawn by me as i was drawing her

sketch8.png

sketch9.png

poor devil...literally
AHAHAHAHA SO CLEVER MENSCH

sketch10.png

so yeah i realized the skateboard was terrible just after then ten minutes were up

lastly: images that actually took effort
kindof.png

racegirlref.png

setting down the references for a racer girl I'm trying to finalize (and her pet ghost)

corvids.png

pointlessly throwing song lyrics onto an image is this thing i like to do

skeletonbooooyyy.png

a wip!! trying to get values down, WOULD REALLY LOVE CONCRIT on this especially

illumination.jpg

another wip, but based more on texture (think a dog crossed with a pig crossed again with a worm)

in conlcusion, the present i drew for my The World Ends with You obsessed friend:

zeeeta.png

it is the best thing i will ever draw

mensch-o-matic on

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My advise is to slow the fuck down, your taking speed over accuracy, one of your hands has 6 fingers. My last head study I spent about 5 hours getting right, it was boring as shit but I learnt massive amounts.

Mustang on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    oh, i know about the hand; i used to do that a lot when i was younger because i had trouble getting five on one hand, so i just went crazy to try and get used to wrist sizes

will definitely keep slowing down in mind, though, and i will try to post an actual study soon

mensch-o-matic on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    for the dog, since you have something very simple and what seems to me to be aiming at stylized, i'd try pushing the shapes a little bit
    really get some strong curves and flowing lines in there to represent the forward motion of the animal
    he's supposed to be jumping (flying/running?) try to really demonstrate that in the drawing.

cake posted a really good tutorial on finding the line of action of a pose.
    this is something that's important in all aspects of figure work, including that of animals

dogs have great expressive poses, more so even than people since dogs communicate with their bodies more than with their voices
    big-dog-jumping-on-yearlings-ear.jpg

I'd stretch him out a bit more to really show the strain, and really push that beautiful curve of the chest and belly area, it'll really help add some flow and direction I think
    dog_jumping_rye_small.jpg

A good book to check out on putting a bit more life into figure drawings like this is called FORCE Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators by Michael Mattesi. He gives some good insight on really making your characters look more dynamic.

beavotron on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    dog_jumping_rye_small.jpg

Off topic, but where'd you get this picture? Is this some secret Animation Mentor stuff or what?

It's a neat picture.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    googled "dog jumping"

beavotron on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    Dang. I was hoping there would be a whole series of pictures like that.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited August 2009
    thanks so much for the tips guys! those dog references especially--i was using another artist's drawing as a reference for form (ha, yes, i know)

here are some more proper studies from about a month ago

lifestudies.jpg

sarah.jpg

study.jpg

for later comparison when I manage to do some new ones (classes are a little more hectic than i thought they'd be, so it will probably take until tomorrow) also sorry for crap webcam quality-if anyone can point me in the direction of a cheap printer/scanner combo i'd love them forever.

mensch-o-matic on
    edited September 2009
    NSFW female study yanked from the gesture lesson thread- http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/Ochai-album/study1.png

does anyone know how to change the thread title so i can mark it NSFW?

mensch-o-matic on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Double click the thread title while viewing AC threads.

bombardier on
    edited September 2009
    thanks!

mensch-o-matic on
    edited September 2009
    studypalooza.png
    studies based on the references in cakemik's thread

i've actually been drawing every day, just nothing i want to show in this particular thread :x

mensch-o-matic on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yup, you just took a big step forward. Hard work pays off.

Mustang on
    edited September 2009
    Thanks, Mustang!

headstudyf.png

a head study that kind of lost form towards the end

illumination-1.png

and an update on the dog-pig-worm thingy

for some reason the first one i posted had completely screwed up colors, so I hope this one reads better (i also tried to give it a little more motion!)

mensch-o-matic on
    edited September 2009
    School's been pretty draining lately. Here's a couple of studies I've managed to scrape out:

[img]URL=http://img97.imageshack.us/i/hands.png/][/img]hands.png

[IMG][/img]lady.png

mensch-o-matic on
    edited January 2010
    i plan on lowering my internet presence by a LOT for the next few months (for a variety of reasons including but not limited to schoolwork) so i'll just dump some of my best right here in one spot so that i can gouge myself more easily when i return:

irooka.png
    copoutdesuyo.png
    loveitislove-1.png
    Treat.png

i think i've improved, though i've obviously got a lot to learn

(also posting so that i don't get kicked out of the da group for inactivity-i'll be back soon, spare me!)

...so good-by for now, thanks for all the tips, crits, and general good company <3

mensch-o-matic on
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ...so that i can gouge myself more easily when i return

I think you meant "gauge," I mean, unless you're into the whole masochism thing and want to take out your eyes, but personally I think that's kind of counter-productive, and would make your art suffer.

Have fun offline!

Nic on