As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Seattle Area Map and Info Thread

13»

• ShteevieShteevie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rayman wrote: »
    Ok, looks like the Dragonfish Asian Cafe is right by our hotel, so I am looking for unbiased opinions on the food. My kids and I love sushi and we are digging the fact that its so close to our hotel. Is the food/atmosphere good? Is there a better sushi place close by? Thanks.
    r
    -The Dragonfish is OK - they have a large 'small plates' menu that includes some sushi and some fancified asian takeout staples. They are almost adjacent to the convention center, which is a big plus for you.

For quality of food, though, head up the hill to Aoki on Broadway and Roy (take the #43 bus) or down to 1st avenue in belltown (just N of Pike Place) to O'hana. The former has much much better quality sushi and a larger menu in general, while the latter is full of great hawai'ian food with a strong sushi showing.

Shteevie on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009

Go down a "secret" set of stairs at Pike Place and you will find an amazing authentic hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant with delicious food.

Do you mean the hill climb behind the market, or some stairs in the market to the down under? I work at 3rd and Seneca so I'm always scouting new lunch spots.
    I posted just above you with a link to the exact address and name of the restaurant Mr. Vague was presumably talking about.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • tecnomagetecnomage Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    There are a lot of other threads here talking about stuff to do in Seattle or the surrounding areas but they always seem to focus on food or drinks. So here's a small list of things I came up with and was wondering if anyone else had ideas for people who were turning this into a vacation with PAX at the focus.

Seattle Aquarium
    Seattle Art Museum
    Museum of Flight
    Microsoft Tour (I've heard about this but haven't gone on it)
    Underground Tour
    Discovery Park
    Woodland Park Zoo
    Water Taxi to Alki beach
    EMP and SciFi Museum
    Space Needle area (Though with Bumbershoot this might be packed)

What am I missing? Any fun/geeky things for people who are going to be here for longer than the weekend?

tecnomage on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's a bunch of people doing a bunch of those things right now. Check out the MMT thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=85585

SlickShughes on
    edited September 2009
    There's a bunch of people doing a bunch of those things right now. Check out the MMT thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=85585

Nice, somehow I missed that entire thread yesterday and today when I was looking over the boards. I've got some friends coming in town that will be staying till the middle of next week and I'm looking for things they can do while I'm stuck at work next week.

tecnomage on
  • ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I always like wandering around the Pike Place Market, too. It's on the same street as the front of the convention center, just down by the water.

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • Phillipe9Phillipe9 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    If you need marijuana in seattle, you can always pick it<REMOVED>

Phillipe9 on
  • siradiasiradia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And here is a link to a recent list of the geekiest spots in Seattle. Seems like that might be important to this crowd.

http://monkeygoggles.com/?p=235

siradia on
  • KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    According to Yelp, the following museums are free every First Thursday of the month. (Read: tomorrow!)

Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture * 10:00 am - 8:00 pm *

Experience Music Project * 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm *

Henry Art Gallery * 11:00 am - 8:00 pm *

Museum of Flight * 10:00 am - 9:00 pm *

Museum of History and Industry * 10:00 am - 8:00 pm *

Northwest African American Museum * 11:00 am - 7:00 pm *

Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame * 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm *

Seattle Art Museum * 10:00 am - 9:00 pm *

Seattle Asian Art Museum * 10:00 am - 9:00 pm *

Wing Luke * 10:00 am - 8:00 pm *

Kyouteki on
    edited September 2009
    Be warned the free days can be packed. I tried the Scifi Museum last month and couldn't get in the line was too long and they were advising people they probably wouldn't get in.

tecnomage on
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    tecnomage wrote: »
    Be warned the free days can be packed. I tried the Scifi Museum last month and couldn't get in the line was too long and they were advising people they probably wouldn't get in.

I went to EMP/SFM last month on first Thursday and lucked out because I got there right when it started at 5pm. Last month, first Thursday fell just before the Jim Henson exhibit was supposed to end, so most of the lines were for that. But I couldn't see much besides the Henson exhibit because it was so crowded.

Definitely pick one museum to do free and get there right before or very early in the free hours.

trickycoolj on
  • geeeeoffffgeeeeoffff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    AliBite wrote: »
    Yeah, we might be able to give you a better recommendation if you have any other specific interests, but, the first thing I thought of was Purple, it always seems so fancy. Although I've never actually eaten there, so I can't officially recommend it. Wild Ginger (and, by extension the Triple Door) is very good.

I'd also recommend staying away from the chain places like McCormick and Schmick's and Rock Bottom. Because, they're pretty good, but why go to a chain place while you can go somewhere really nice and actually local?!

Sorry the reason it was so vague is because I really don't know what I want, just somewhere upscale and different. We've narrowed it down to either Crush or Canlis. Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend canlis. enjoy the valet :-)

on another note, can anyone recommend an outstanding happy hour? so far i'm thinking about Dragonfish or Palomino...

geeeeoffff on
    GD on paforums
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I used to work at the restaurant at EMP/SFM and while it will be crowded with Bumpershoot people, I guarantee that they won't make you sick (if you don't get drunk first).

Honestly, they are so clean back there, you really could eat off the floor if the head chefs didn't bean you with a frying pan first.

RoyceSraphim on
  • AkanigitAkanigit Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am trying to find a store that happens to sell things like Macross action figures etc. I found a place by Pink Gorilla/Godzilla but all it had was Gundam stuff.

Akanigit on
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Canlis employs the only licensed Sommalier in the state. So there's that.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • JeffreyOJeffreyO Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Once again, I can not recommend the Honey Hole enough for some good sit down food, a few drinks (Although not the strongest in the world) and a good way to spend an hour or two in the evening after a long day of convention(ing). They serve food until 11 pm and it's only about four blocks from the Convention Center.

Enjoy!

JeffreyO on
This discussion has been closed.