As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] Pre-Pre-PAX Events in Vancouver BC:

• ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sleepy ACC3SS had fun.

ACC3SS on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »
    Sleepy ACC3SS had fun.

Sleepy ACC3SS drives slow.

Castle Fun Park was definitely fun though. Will probably avoid go-karts next time I go though, not really worth it imo.

tr0tsky on
  • AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So quick update, I will be calling Wings again on Monday afternoon to adjust our reservation. We are up to 28 confirmed on the list and another 3 tentatives that I haven't posted. If I'm missing anyone let me know as our current reservation is for 30 so I need to see how much it needs to be bumped up by.

A few people have asked what DS Games to bring. The answer is pretty much any. There will be about 25-30 DS's there so it's pretty likely you'll find one other person with the same game, no matter how unpopular the title is. The staples of Tetris and Kart will obviously be played, but any game with similar multiplayer (not requiring everyone to have the actual game) will be popular.

If there's any other questions feel free to post them in the thread.

AbsintheMinded on
  • honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    Castle Fun Park was definitely fun though. Will probably avoid go-karts next time I go though, not really worth it imo.

Dude, I know. Even though I missed the event, I feel that any Go-Karting experience that lacks blue sparks or the ability to hurl shells at your opponents is sub-par.

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    honestD wrote: »

Dude, I know. Even though I missed the event, I feel that any Go-Karting experience that lacks blue sparks or the ability to hurl shells at your opponents is sub-par.

Maybe that guy's cellphone and camera were thrown from the cart "accidentially".

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited August 2009
    So quick update, I will be calling Wings again on Monday afternoon to adjust our reservation. We are up to 28 confirmed on the list and another 3 tentatives that I haven't posted. If I'm missing anyone let me know as our current reservation is for 30 so I need to see how much it needs to be bumped up by.

A few people have asked what DS Games to bring. The answer is pretty much any. There will be about 25-30 DS's there so it's pretty likely you'll find one other person with the same game, no matter how unpopular the title is. The staples of Tetris and Kart will obviously be played, but any game with similar multiplayer (not requiring everyone to have the actual game) will be popular.

If there's any other questions feel free to post them in the thread.

If I don't forget, I'll be bringing marioparty too.

Sumi on
    edited September 2009
    Well, I'm bringing Mario Kart and Metroid Hunters. And anything anyone else brings, if I have it!

Can anyone bring Puyo pop?

honestD on

• negitoronegitoro Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Can I still sign up for Wings?

I'm mostly a lurker but it seems like a good chance to meet PAX'ers from Vancouver...

It's me and 3 other PAXers. (So 4 of us total).

negitoro on
    edited September 2009
    negitoro wrote: »

I'm mostly a lurker but it seems like a good chance to meet PAX'ers from Vancouver...

Since you posted before I modified the reservation, then yes you are added. :winky:

Our numbers are pretty tight against our reservation cap so to any remaining lurkers, we'd love to add you but if you don't post there may not be space for you.

For everyone else who has posted already, please remember to bring cash. With this large of a group seperate cheques will be difficult for the establishment to split up, and multiple plastic users will be difficult for us (the group) to split up. Conveniently each pound of wings + tax and tip works out to about $10 a pound so it's easy math for the food.

Both tr0tsky and I will be around to collect money if you want to pay as the night goes on or you can tally up your share of the bill directly with the bar at the end of the night. Just like last year any excess funds left behind after paying the tab and tip will be dropped into the Child's Play coffers via the Cookie Brigade.... so drunken generosity on your bill will end up going to a good cause.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited September 2009
    negitoro wrote: »

Since you posted before I modified the reservation, then yes you are added. :winky:

Our numbers are pretty tight against our reservation cap so to any remaining lurkers, we'd love to add you but if you don't post there may not be space for you.

For everyone else who has posted already, please remember to bring cash. With this large of a group seperate cheques will be difficult for the establishment to split up, and multiple plastic users will be difficult for us (the group) to split up. Conveniently each pound of wings + tax and tip works out to about $10 a pound so it's easy math for the food.

Both tr0tsky and I will be around to collect money if you want to pay as the night goes on or you can tally up your share of the bill directly with the bar at the end of the night. Just like last year any excess funds left behind after paying the tab and tip will be dropped into the Child's Play coffers via the Cookie Brigade.... so drunken generosity on your bill will end up going to a good cause.

Does wings add an 18% gratuity for large parties?

Sumi on
  • OgrebeefOgrebeef Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Since the wings thing is growing like a cancer, I bet they will have throw in a gratuity.

OH and I'm +2 now.

Ogrebeef on
    edited September 2009
    I'm 99% sure they do not add a mandatory tip, I certainly don't remember one from last year (tr0tsky you remember any different?).

1 pound of wings works out to about $10.00 with a 15% tip, 10.25 with 18%. I'm pretty sure we left a larger tip last year as most people were rather generous... and didn't want to receive annoying coinage back. :mrgreen:

I tend to tip a little more for these types of gatherings so I'll probably be dropping about $11/pound plus my normal exorbant tip on drinks. That's not an invitation for others to skip out on their share of the tip due to my generosity however. As long as the service is good (which it always is there) people should at least tip the minimum regardless of what everyone else puts in. :P

AbsintheMinded on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2009
    well moe is away so I'm unlocking this, everyone play nice and don't make me regret it

Tube on
    edited September 2009
    Updating the list again. Senicks RSVPed at the end of the last thread. Absinthe, please do yer thang.
    AbsintheMinded +5
    ACC3SS
    Asiina
    b0wser
    deadmetal
    degreesplatinum
    DiscoGobbo
    HonestD
    Negitoro +3
    Ninjowned
    Nuclear Wizard +1
    Ogrebeef +2
    Parabola
    RC Demoral +1
    Senicks
    Serenity
    SmallLady +1
    Sumi +1
    Theros
    Teenychicka +1
    tr0tsky +1
    Varcayn
    Wormdundee
    Yuritau

ACC3SS on
    edited September 2009
    apparently I won't have a +1 tomorrow night. Also, I don't think Sumi has a +1 either.

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2009
    Now that we are back up and running, lets keep the thread on course and take this whole situation as a friendly reminder that PAX is less than 4 days away.

Alright I have the OP re-updated with the RSVPs from the other thread.

For anyone who actually went to bed early last night and needs an explaination as to what CT and I are referring to here you can view the spoiler. I provided the spoiler so we can avoid posts from people asking about it, so please don't post asking about it. We need this thread for the last of the RSVPs and event related planning, lets not muck it up with pointless debate.
    Short Explainaition: We overworked our friendly neighbourhood moderator and he missed the fact that we are still using this thread to plan an event.... proving at last that Moe really is human (and not an advanced android sent from the future to take over the world one thread at a time).

As PAX has continued to increase in size so has the traffic in this forum adding to the number of new posters, random question threads (that belong as posts in the FAQ), and my personal favorite: non PAX related event spam. In his efforts to clean that mess up, I'm not at all surprised that Moe didn't have the time to review the Pre-PAX Events threads before he closed them for the season. Oversights occur, that's how things work in life, so lets move on. No offense was intended (nor taken hopefully), everyone wants this forum to be as up-to-date, relevant and easy to sort through as possible.

That being said when the thread was locked with no mod post at the end a few of us were initially concerned we did something against forum policy at some point in this thread and a second thread was created asking for clarification about the lock. Once we realized what happened I pretty much expected to find the two threads merged once the situation was noticed. TBH the second thread should never have been used as a replacement (Thanks to CT for not being Ban-hammerish about that) but everything is straightened out now.

Please note the purpose of this post is to prevent confusion for the people who got to bed early last night. If you have any further questions or comments about the thread lock then RSVP for FTW Night and share them there. :P

AbsintheMinded on
    edited September 2009
    Updating the list again. Senicks RSVPed at the end of the last thread. Absinthe, please do yer thang.

I already updated that at 8:39 this morning. :P
    apparently I won't have a +1 tomorrow night. Also, I don't think Sumi has a +1 either.

That I'll update now. :cry:

AbsintheMinded on
    edited September 2009

I will, we just might be running late because he doesn't get home until 6 and apparently he needs to shower after work. Ptch, and he say's I'm high maintenance!

And as for making a second thread, we're heading into the final countdown here, and it was important we had somewhere to talk. I was pretty positive this thread was just locked accidentially, so I don't think I did anything out of line. That being sad, I'm glad to not get any infractions. Absinthe also said not to talk about this anymore, so pretend I never said anything.

Sumi on
    edited September 2009
    I'll be there closer to 7pm.

ACC3SS on
    edited September 2009

Pfft. Slacker. :P

I should mention I'll be heading over a little early, and will proabably be at the bar around 6-6:15, until they have our table(s) ready. I'll wear something PA realated so people can find me. If anyone wants my number for the meet up PM me. Otherwise we'll be the ginormous group in the lower section all paying DS and eating Wings.... we should not be hard to find.

AbsintheMinded on
  • little_cinchanlittle_cinchan Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Umm... I was wondering if it was too late to join the WINGS festivities?

little_cinchan on
  • SenicksSenicks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I don't believe so, they haven't said anything about closing it up yet. Can you guys confirm?

Senicks on
    edited September 2009
    I probably won't be there until 7 either, and that's at the earliest. Anyways I'll be there at some point. :D

Sumi on
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Pfft. Slacker. :P

I should mention I'll be heading over a little early, and will proabably be at the bar around 6-6:15, until they have our table(s) ready. I'll wear something PA realated so people can find me. If anyone wants my number for the meet up PM me. Otherwise we'll be the ginormous group in the lower section all paying DS and eating Wings.... we should not be hard to find.

Just look for the table with the guy in the [ENFORCER] shirt (me). Should be easy enough to spot, especially considering the aforementioned DS's.

de4dmeta1 on
    edited September 2009

We still have a couple spots left open... one less now that you posted. Added to the OP.
    de4dmeta1 wrote: »

Just look for the table with the guy in the [ENFORCER] shirt (me). Should be easy enough to spot, especially considering the aforementioned DS's.

To clarify our "table" will be most of the lower section, just head towards the back of the building.

AbsintheMinded on
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    yarrr... D:
    looks like I have to skip out on the wings night...
    I have to work late today and I haven't done ANY packing yet...
    Enjoy yourselves and hopefully I will see most of you down there/on the way down there with the CST.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited September 2009
    BOOOOOOO.

Anyways it's going to be awesome. I've totally been practicing tetris. The excitement is overwhelming.

Sumi on
    edited September 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    BOOOOOOO.

Anyways it's going to be awesome. I've totally been practicing tetris. The excitement is overwhelming.

You shouldn't have tipped your hand...time for me to start it up

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2009
    Oh it's on.

Sumi on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am the tetris champion!

I'm actually pretty sick of tetris since I just spent like 2 weeks getting to level 999 in my spare time. It's not even the first time I've done it either.

Asiina on
  • degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ughhh.... i'm feeling a little pre-pax-sars-y so i think i'm better off staying home tonight, instead of infecting the entire canadian crew with the stuffy nose/headache/sneezing thing at FTW. I wouldn't want us to be blamed in case a pandemic happens in downtown seattle on labour day weekend.

Have fun at ftw :)

degreesplatinum on
    edited September 2009
    *cries*

Okay, I will see you thursday tho! I hope you are feeling better, take lots of vitamin C.

Sumi on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Go to wings and order Bobby Wings... Those should clear up any sinus issues you have.

parabola on
    edited September 2009
    Well we lost 2 people, but looks like tr0tsky is bringing 2 more non-forum people (they have also been to a couple of the other events this year) so we're still in the 38-40 range for tonight.

I'll be heading down in about 20 mins and will be chilling at the bar until the first of the early birds arrive.

Judging from his timing for the other events, I expect Theros to be there by now, wondering where everyone else is at, so I might as well go keep him company. :lol:

AbsintheMinded on
  • degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    *cries*

Okay, I will see you thursday tho! I hope you are feeling better, take lots of vitamin C.

yes! i'm doing a combination of benylin cold and sinus, herbal tea, nyquil, and vitamin C. so i should be knocked out sometime within the next hour and wake up groggy yet non-fluish.

see you on thursday

degreesplatinum on
    edited September 2009
    *cries*

yes! i'm doing a combination of benylin cold and sinus, herbal tea, nyquil, and vitamin C. so i should be knocked out sometime within the next hour and wake up groggy yet non-fluish.

see you on thursday

Get well soon.... and by soon I mean tomorrow morning. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Heading down now... Be there in 30 mins or something.

parabola on
  • TeenychickaTeenychicka Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gonna be late -_-' Save me a seat in the action!

Teenychicka on
    8502184533758290.gif OH YEAH!
    edited September 2009
    Well taht was a good showing. We had about 40 people which was more than enough to rack up a $700.00 bill.

Good job folks, we killed lots of chickens tonight. :winky:

I know there is some talk of Post PAX Events (or as I prefer to call them: Pre-PAX East Events) in Vancouver so we'll have a new thread up after PAX Prime is done.

See you all in Seattle tomorrow.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited September 2009
    Awesome to have met all y'all tonight. It was really cool to have met everyone and seen (the pictures you drew of) your dongs. Hope to see some of you at PAX, I'll be the one with the penny arcade shirt on.

"What kind of wings are those?"

"Jamaican Jerk"

"Well you don't have to call me names..."

honestD on

This discussion has been closed.