As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boardgames - The special love between a man and his little wooden tokens

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Where would you guys say is the best place to buy board games online? I'm looking to pick up Agricola and Dominion, and maybe Battlestar Galactica.

http://www.boardgameprices.com/

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wewt!

We played our first game of Starcraft to completion after 4 or so previous duds. Our fifth had to drop out, though. So what ended up happening was that we left the board intact, we removed 5 cards from the phase 3 event decks (We had LITERALLY just entered it, not one card had been drawn), and all his pieces were removed.

I was already planning to invade his space anyways and just try to roll him. So my whole strategy was geared towards that. In the end, I didn't engage in combat more than once (Fleeing from an agressive Zerg), but I won thanks to Raynor's special ability. Plus, by a VERY shrewd final build order, I placed a single marine on a single locale, tieing Tassadar for territories controlled. Thus his special didn't kick in, and mine did. And Aldaris held off Kerrigan from getting her third control point.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So would anyone here be interested in a pbp of Junta? Players are a ruling group of a banana republic, and they try to lie, cheat, and steal, as much money as possible. Lots of negotiation, backstabbing, that kind of thing. I'd probably be looking for 5-7 players. Any interest?

PolloDiablo on
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm always interested in a pbp of anything I have never played before.

Orange Soda on
  • OsvikOsvik Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Junta looks interesting. I'd probably be up for a game.

Osvik on
  • MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm up for Junta, I always liked Tropico.

Maximus on
  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bananas...
    MMmmmmhhhhh.
    Sure. I'm game.

Played my first game of Caylus yesterday, won with 99 points (to 95 for the guy who owned the game and much less for the other two). It seemed a bit clunky to me, so I'll go read the rules to see what we were doin' wrong.

Hermenegilde on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's been awhile since I played, but 99 points seems like a lot of freaking points.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I pretty much built all the grey buildings.

Hermenegilde on
  • etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    After years of covering and dry humping video games, I've recently moved away and begun to embrace my tabletop. Especially when there is a board game of some sort sprawled out on top.

Also, Space Hulk arrived yesterday, which is going to be the one game to push Last Night on Earth aside for a few weeks I'm afraid. http://twitpic.com/g0ula. At least until Survival of the Fittest comes out.

Anyway, it's been many moons since I've posted over here, and am looking forward to talking about my new passion.

etoychest on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    so pretty

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok, I'll put up a recruit thread to try to drum up a few more players. The game is best with 7, so I'm not sure if we'll go for it if we can't get that many.

PolloDiablo on
    edited September 2009
    Ergh... Space Hulk...

What do you think the odds are it'll still be available in a few weeks when I can better decide if I want to drive a hundred bucks on it? If I didn't already have like 40 terminators it would be an easier buy.

Darkewolfe on
    edited September 2009
    Apparently the last batch of boxes not pre-ordered are going out to stores for purchase on Saturday.

etoychest on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Ergh... Space Hulk...

What do you think the odds are it'll still be available in a few weeks when I can better decide if I want to drive a hundred bucks on it? If I didn't already have like 40 terminators it would be an easier buy.

It won't be around. Period. Unless you want to spend 2-5 times as much for it on ebay.

SJ on
    edited September 2009
    Anyone else here follow DowntimeTown, by the way? For those not in the know, it's a boardgame video series (and upstart boardgame news/review website) by Robert Florence, of Consolevania/Videogaiden fame. He is a delightfully entertaining chap with excellent taste.

I thoroughly recommend it, even if the episodes come out a little slow.

Anyway, his latest review (of Chaos In The Old World) has been up for a few days and he seems to... really love it. This could quite easily sway me to buy it.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited September 2009
    Had not seen that site before, awesome :) Good stuff there. I've actually been waxing nostalgic for my etoychest.org days, and will be launching a new site soonish dedicated to horror board games. Just finished interviewing Flying Frog for it. I love me some zombies.

etoychest on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone tried out Chaos in the Old World? I have a fairly casual board-game group, so it can't be too crazy. (Arkham Horror is just about their limit, or over it)

Professor Phobos on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well after watching his review of Chaos in the Old World I really want to buy it.

Inquisitor on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone tried out Chaos in the Old World? I have a fairly casual board-game group, so it can't be too crazy. (Arkham Horror is just about their limit, or over it)

It's nowhere *near* AH's level of complexity.

It's still extremely strategic, though. And a insane amount of fun. :mrgreen: Probably one of the best purchases I made at GenCon.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So a quick search shows nothing on this game, and though it's technically not a boardgame this seems like the place to ask:

Has anyone heard of or played a game called Jungle Speed? It's fairly old, but I'd never heard of it. A friend brought it over for an afternoon game session yesterday and a lightning-fast, semi-violent good time was had by all.

Bitstream on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PMAvers wrote: »

It's nowhere *near* AH's level of complexity.

It's still extremely strategic, though. And a insane amount of fun. :mrgreen: Probably one of the best purchases I made at GenCon.

It's a great game. I'm just waiting for my local store to get it in and then I'm all over that shit.

And yes, it's much easier then AH. The game is actually very easy to explain. You can really tell the designer used to work on CCGs and such. It's a very simple base rule set, with all the differentiation and strategies contained in the cards and player powers.

shryke on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Looks like this may be an expensive week for me.. BSG: Pegasus, Space Hulk, and Chaos in the Old World. Shit. I know I don't have to buy them all at once, but come on. It just feels good having them around.

krylon666 on
    edited September 2009
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Looks like this may be an expensive week for me.. BSG: Pegasus, Space Hulk, and Chaos in the Old World. Shit. I know I don't have to buy them all at once, but come on. It just feels good having them around.

Do it!

Orange Soda on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "Wow Spacehulk, hadn't heard. Maybe I should get this... I wonder what it looks like. I'll google."

No audio but I loved this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aViccm7dk94

So, are the figs blank or painted or what?

e~ read some on BGG.... the 2p factor is kindof a turnoff for me ;/

fadingathedges on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The figures are unpainted and come on sprues.

DarkPrimus on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That video was definitely awesome. Very good job with some digital stop-motion. But it pained me to see the heavy flamer being used as a bolter. At least he had the dreadnought use its flamer. Genestealers don't like that.

krylon666 on
    edited September 2009
    Looks like I'm going to be sitting down to talk with Fantasy Flight to talk about varous things and/or stuff. Anything on people's minds here?

etoychest on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    etoychest wrote: »
    Looks like I'm going to be sitting down to talk with Fantasy Flight to talk about varous things and/or stuff. Anything on people's minds here?

What's the release date on Bruno Faiditti's new card game, Letter of Marque? And would they mind sending you a review copy so we can pbp it to drum up interest?

Darian on
    edited September 2009

Ask them if they have extra board piece components for Twilight Imperium and if I could have them to create a super, giant board to PBP will ....um...to....stimulate interest in TI? ... Yeah not just cause I want them :P

Orange Soda on
    edited September 2009

Can you ask which of the Sabertooth Games designers they got when they bought them from GW they still have employed?

Kind of a personal question, but I want to know! :P

Darkewolfe on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I'd like to know two things:

1) will BSG be getting more expansions? The obvious answer is yes, but it is gonna get really hard from here on out. I doubt they'll answer this either.

2) Can they explain their pricing structure, and more to the point if they ever forsee the price of some of their more popular games coming down? $90 in one pop for a game, license or no, is pretty steep.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited September 2009

I don't know why, and maybe this will be of zero interest to anyone else, but I'd be intrigued to hear how they came to focus so obsessively on super-polished presentation.

Even Games Workshop aren't as neurotic about graphic design as they are.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I need to stop reading this right before going to the game store, was just gonna go to get pegasus, but now I'm thinking about Chaos....

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

could you hit them up for info regarding future Descent expansions? (past Sea of Blood). Also try to pry what their two secret big box games are going to be? (announced at gen con)

Octobot on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rather than asking them whether there will be more BSG expansions (since we're pretty sure there will be), why don't you ask them whether or not they have started working on the next expansion for it?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Oh trick question!

Orange Soda on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What about any chance for a expansion for Chaos in the Old World?

Say, a Sigmar expansion...

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited September 2009
    Takin notes of these, thanks! I'll add them to those of my own.

etoychest on
    edited September 2009

I don't know why, and maybe this will be of zero interest to anyone else, but I'd be intrigued to hear how they came to focus so obsessively on super-polished presentation.

Even Games Workshop aren't as neurotic about graphic design as they are.

Yea I'm asking this too, thanks! It's something I also asked Flying Frog when I talked to them a couple weeks back. FF is obsessive about presentation, especially for a company with so few games to its credit.

etoychest on
This discussion has been closed.