As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX 2009 Rock Band Tournament!

• HoLeYHoLeY Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The DIMD wrote: »
    HoLeY wrote: »
    The DIMD wrote: »
    I AM LFG!

LIVE ID: HoL3Y

Interested in: EXPERT GUITAR/EXPERT BASS/LONG WALKS ON BEACHES/FRUIT LOOPS/BEING RICK-ROLLED

Hey dude. Jetman and I want you to join our band. He sent you a PM regarding it. We got 3 other people and just need an expert bass player. Let us know if you're down.

I responded to him. I figured I should post my live ID as well. I sent him my telephone number via PM, so hopefully it will be awesome. I look forward to playing with you guys.

YAY!!!!! This is going to be awesome.

[URL="http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/Achievements/ViewAchievementDetails.aspx?compareTo=TheDIMD&tid= ]:dh)k?~x"]RB comparison between you and I[/URL]

HoLeY on
  • ynglinkynglink Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wolfboy wrote:
    Ya I'd be cool with that....let's try to get a day in on xbox live? or just go for it, seeing as we don't have teams.
    I don't own RB (though I have loads of experience with it) but I can play on GH if you want a rough idea. My guitar double strums up sometimes, so alt picking songs (dragonforce) aren't good at the moment if you want to see skill + score. As my guitar will be like "NO MOAR STREAK!"

live tag: ynglink

ynglink on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Achievements are a poor way of determining who's better than who in all but the broadest of senses.

Scores on the other hand...

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • niq24601niq24601 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    whypick1 wrote: »

Achievements are a poor way of determining who's better than who in all but the broadest of senses.

Scores on the other hand...

You can also use rockbandstats.com, though it doesn't do comparisons.

niq24601 on
    niq24601.jpg
    "gay" and "rape". You keep on using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    whypick1 on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Ha, I'm 1 point better at Souls of Black!

Granted you kick my ass in total GS's though.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • JeTmAnJeTmAn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I am afraid of playing against a band you are in now :o

JeTmAn on
  • Steel FedoraSteel Fedora South CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm bummed that I can't make it out this year to help defend the title (I'm the bassist who can't make it from Skeletonath's post) but I'd be willing to bet Metallica Sucks takes the title two years in a row.

(Would have been really fun to show off with that P-bass this year though. Stupid economy and living in Kansas and getting laid off.)

Have fun and rock out.

Steel Fedora on
  • keruptkerupt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just registered wtih the pa forums since my brother told me about this tournament ;) First year attending PAX and was jacked to see this tournament taking place.

He's an expert Vocalist (Pitch matching master :) )
    I'm an expert drummer. Been playing drums IRL in a band for a while now, and haven't played RB for a bit, sat back down and turned on Panic Attack last night and beat it, still got it.

We're looking for an expert bassist and guitarist to fill out the line up. PM me on here if you'll be there for all three days, we'll swap phone numbers. We're all getting to Seattle tomorrow (Im flying :( ), and he and I will meet up with you Friday to play together at the freeplay for a bit.

kerupt on
  • meowkittymeowkitty Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Expert vocals and bass lfg. Since the first day of this tournament is friday, which is also the cosplay day, I'll be the chick dressed as Yuna.

meowkitty on
  • skeltonathskeltonath SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm bummed that I can't make it out this year to help defend the title (I'm the bassist who can't make it from Skeletonath's post) but I'd be willing to bet Metallica Sucks takes the title two years in a row.

(Would have been really fun to show off with that P-bass this year though. Stupid economy and living in Kansas and getting laid off.)

Have fun and rock out.
    I love you Fedora! Totally sucks you couldn't make it, man. We would've had such the dream team with you!

skeltonath on
  • keruptkerupt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    meowkitty wrote: »
    Expert vocals and bass lfg. Since the first day of this tournament is friday, which is also the cosplay day, I'll be the chick dressed as Yuna.

We got our guitarist, just need a bass slot filled, interested? Pm me and we can meet up!

kerupt on
    edited September 2009
    ... bandmate FAIL.

We're now definitely looking for one guitar/bassist. We have three expert players; our vocalist pwns, I've gold-starred about 50 of the on-disc songs on drums, and our bassist can handle everything on bass (she can do guitar but it gets dicey on tough songs). Send me a PM or email to niq@alumni.brown.edu if you're interested.

On Friday, be looking for the foks walking around in matching Tees with Rock Band instrument logos. The bassist is "NO", I'm "AFTER", the singer is "BOSTON". If you end up on guitar you'll be "MIDNIGHT".

niq24601 on
    niq24601.jpg
    "gay" and "rape". You keep on using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.
    edited September 2009
    Congratulations to the semifinalists: #1 seed Metallica Sucks, #2 seed Two Girls and a Guy, #4 Redo After Start, and #7 seed ... uh, I don't know, but they're all Canadians so I'm calling them Team Canada. The semifinal round was definitely epic, with three of the four matches going to tiebreakers, and two tiebreakers being decided by 50K points or less.

Semifinals will be at the freeplay stage, starting some time between 10:30 and 11.

niq24601 on
    niq24601.jpg
  • JeTmAnJeTmAn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Who won? I'm betting on Two Girls and a Guy (originally Three Girls and a Guy, they had a bandmate drop out and still carried on!) to finally unseat Metallica Sucks. They're amazing.

JeTmAn on
  • skeltonathskeltonath SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nope, Metallica Sucks took home the crown again :mrgreen:

It was an good final round though. We both won our picks and had to do a tie breaker, and Painkiller was picked. Great song to finish on!

skeltonath on
  • elilasolelilasol Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Glad to be a part of metallica sucks. This year had tons of competiton, glad to have taken the trophy home another year. I expect good things next year. Good playing with you skel

elilasol on
  • pizziolopizziolo Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Thank You all for a great tournament.

pizziolo on
    edited September 2009
    Here is a link to some photos we took. Most of them are of No Boston After Midnight but we got a few from the semis.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/electoral-math/sets/72157622154927363/

Maybe if someone else is on flickr and has photos we can make one of those photo groups?

niq24601 on
    niq24601.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Does anyone have contact info or gamertags for members of the 3rd seeded (not placed, but seeded) band? They lost in the quarters to Team Canada who's not really called Team Canada. Several of their members are from the Seattle area and I wanted to get in touch w/ them. PM me if you are one of them or know who they are.

niq24601 on
    niq24601.jpg
  • artearte Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    niq24601 wrote: »
    Here is a link to some photos we took. Most of them are of No Boston After Midnight but we got a few from the semis.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/electoral-math/sets/72157622154927363/

Maybe if someone else is on flickr and has photos we can make one of those photo groups?

LOL at those pictures of Brad.

Anyway, I had a GREAT time playing with everyone there. See you all next year hopefully :mrgreen:

arte on
  • JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    niq24601 wrote: »
    ...and #7 seed ... uh, I don't know, but they're all Canadians so I'm calling them Team Canada.

I'm almost definite that it was Guilty Bystander.

Jaiden on
    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

[12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
  • pcgpcg Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I'm the singer from the Brock Sampsons/#3 seed! We probably won't be participating next year, but it was nice seeing everyone we remembered from last year!

And congrats to Metallica Sucks!

pcg on
    edited September 2009
    Does anyone know if there was official final placing in the tournament??? Who is third and fourth etc.??

pizziolo on
  • ynglinkynglink Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yoink...thanks for the pics! I was going to ask for them anyway once you got on live. It was awesome playing with you guys, looking forward to it next time. Hopefully this time we won't lose due to back to back sightreading on my part. :P

Metallica Sucks...I'MA COMINGS FOR YAH!

ynglink on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, my 360, HDD, and fancy pedal made it to PAX. I've only heard rumors about how things went.

1) What did you think about RB2 with ALL of the DLC? Made it easier to test for sight-reading skills?

2) I heard a rumor that at some point the higher-rated bands abandoned my pedal (DW-4002, Roland KD-8, and kickbox) and asked for the Ion pedal. Did that happen? What did people think of the pedal? I can totally respect not wanting to use something that requires new muscle memory when competing.

BigRed wrote: »
    The rock band stage will have all of the DLC.

Since its my hard drive they are using :P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/electoral-math/3895790542/in/set-72157622154927363/ ORLY? Claiming credit are you BigRed?

Granted PAX hadn't started yet, but still . . . . "I think they are planning on using my hard drive" would not get you laughed at. :-P

I'm extremely proud to have contributed, and my heart swelled with joy to see attendees lined up to play even at 1 AM and later.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited September 2009
    mspencer wrote: »
    2) I heard a rumor that at some point the higher-rated bands abandoned my pedal (DW-4002, Roland KD-8, and kickbox) and asked for the Ion pedal. Did that happen? What did people think of the pedal? I can totally respect not wanting to use something that requires new muscle memory when competing.

I didn't drum, but for some reason, people were using the POS ION pedal instead of your sweet setup. Trust me, if someone made me use the ION, I'd use it to hit whoever was keeping the other pedal away from me and take it back.

whypick1 on
  • elilasolelilasol Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Most bands used your pedal, no Boston brought thier own, arte(metallica sucks) wanted the ion

elilasol on
    edited September 2009
    mspencer wrote: »
    So, my 360, HDD, and fancy pedal made it to PAX. I've only heard rumors about how things went.

1) What did you think about RB2 with ALL of the DLC? Made it easier to test for sight-reading skills?

I put down some thoughts about the tournament in the general PAX 2010 suggestions thread. One of the things i talked about was DLC in the tourney. Having all the DLC was GREAT for the Freeplay stage (much better than last year's "Boston/Molly Hatchet/Deep Purple 'til you drop" fest), though there should be a cap on how often someone plays Kansas/Journey/Bon Jovi/Pearl Jam :D.

The two bands in the finals did prefer the Ion pedal, which is crazy IMO but what do I know.

niq24601 on
    niq24601.jpg
    edited September 2009
    psh, so sue me if the ION's roadie pedal is still my favorite pedal :P

yes, I've tried several real pedals, and I still prefer the ION pedal over them. the enforcer was quite nice to go get one after i asked :mrgreen:

arte on
    edited September 2009
    It's not a problem. I asked several attendees as they were walking off of the stage (doing freeplay, not tournament) and they definitely felt like the pedal was cool but weird. I got the impression many of them liked it but would need more time to get really good with it.

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    People just don't like change during a competition.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited September 2009
    Real pedal setups are definitely the shit. I've got an Omega Pedal attached to a Yamaha kick trigger, I just need to get off my ass and build my KickBox.

whypick1 on
    edited September 2009
    I think when people say kickbox they are referring to the thing you buy at http://www.rockbandkickbox.com.

mspencer on
    edited September 2009
    Trust me, I'm aware of basically all RB related mods, since I basically live on those forums. I'm building my own KickBox (just need to finish the layout and get to work on building the board) as I have had problems with the switch mechanism on the Omega getting out of position and double hitting (although it hasn't in a while) and I'm sure that that switch will wear out eventually, seeing as I bring my drum setup (and half of my living room) to a RB night each Tuesday, so it's seen a LOT of use.

whypick1 on
  • Captain BackslapCaptain Backslap Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The #7 seed was indeed called Guilty Bystander, and we were a random pick-up band that was throw together from a few folks hanging around the console freeplay area during qualifiers. We weren't all from Canada, either - I'm from Seattle, another of the guys is from the area and a third from the other side of the state. A pretty good run for a thrown together band, although I personally was feeling pretty outclassed by the time the dust settled.

Captain Backslap on
    edited September 2009
    hey, me and David were wondering if you guys had an estimate for when we'd be receiving the Beatles bundles. it doesn't make much of a difference to me as I have no xbox currently, but I'm sure David and Brad would like to start playing Beatles ASAP :P

arte on
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    arte wrote: »
    psh, so sue me if the ION's roadie pedal is still my favorite pedal :P

yes, I've tried several real pedals, and I still prefer the ION pedal over them. the enforcer was quite nice to go get one after i asked :mrgreen:

No problem man, I got real used to making runs up to the 6th floor for equipment. Lost about 5 pounds at PAX, it seems.

de4dmeta1 on
    edited September 2009
    Okay, so, before everyone stops reading this thread :) I wanted to try and gauge interest ... I was thinking of putting together a reunion "rent out a movie theater and play Rock Band" get together in late October or early November in the Seattle area. I think it only costs like $300 if we do it mid-day on a weekday, so if we can get 20 people there it's only a few bucks more than going to the movies.

If you're at all interested, can you send me a PM or email niq@alumni.brown.edu and let me know days of the week you're most likely to be able to make it, and if you have any friends who might try to come? The more people we can get the cheaper it will be for each individual person.

niq24601 on
    niq24601.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Hey

I would love to rent out a movie theatre and play rock band....Our singer works for a movie theatre and I will ask her to get info.

pizziolo on
This discussion has been closed.