As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ultimate Spider-Thread!

• FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    All of the Iron Fists should fight all of the Ghost Riders

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Ultimate Comics Spider-man #2 preview

Damn, it looks like they did...
    kill off Kingpin
    after all.

There's not a lot more to do with him. He's had all the cool scenes with Spidey he could. Better to kill him off now rather then do something stupid with him.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »

wiggin would literally explode if this happened

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »

wiggin would literally explode if this happened

Only if Moon Knight was the ref

But yeah a Tales of the Iron Fist/Ghost Rider ongoing would be fucking wonderful

I want more Smokey and the Bandit Ghost Rider dammit but only if the Bandit Rider has a kickin' stache made of hellfire

And the Snowman analog has to have a flaming dog too

Me Too! on
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Disney bought Marvel... Should we be worried? What will this mean for UCSM, if anything? I've not been able to give it too much thought- I think I'm just a little shocked.

Sharp10r on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I doubt it will mean anything to the 616 universe, much less the Ultimate one. We might see more kid friendly, Marvel Adventure-type books but as long as they're good it might actually bring in a sizable amount of young readers.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Going back to the last page, you guys are crazy. Kitty is the best Spidey GF, bar none.

The dialogue between the two is fantastic as it is, but add in some villians and crime fighting? Incredible.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited September 2009
    I was thinking about the as of yet unnamed Jeph Loeb/Art Adams Ultimate comics title, and the only chance it might not suck is if it's a Black Panther miniseries. I don't know how many people here read Loeb's Ultimate Captain America annual last year but I thought it was the best thing he's written since a few select issues of Fallen Son and it heavily featured the Panther.

wirehead26 on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Going back to the last page, you guys are crazy. Kitty is the best Spidey GF, bar none.

The dialogue between the two is fantastic as it is, but add in some villians and crime fighting? Incredible.

^ This. Anyone that disagrees with that doesn't deserve an opinion.

BostonGangler on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man ofc she was. I had hopes that because Bendis was working in the ultimate universe, he wouldn't feel pressured into falling back onto the old Mary Jane stereotype, and just really flesh out the Kitty/Peter thing, but i guess status quo won over.

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Yeah that status quo sure is maintained now that him and MJ aren't dating anymore

Me Too! on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They're just testing the waters in USM to see if they can bring Gwen back in the 616 and make it work.

TexiKen on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Doubtful. They thought about doing it around BND but it got ixnay'd.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited September 2009
    Right, but they also said they would never get rid of the marriage to begin with (Brevoort in the '90s, specifically).

Good thing Ultimate Norman is dead, otherwise we would have to be worried about them making Ultimate Gwen 16 and preggers.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    I gotta be honest... I was never a HUGE fan of the Peter/Kitty relationship. Honestly, every other sentence out of her mouth was "don't break up with me!" which just made her seem kind of needy.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited September 2009
    Yeah she does do that a lot, but on the other hand, MJ and Pete are ALWAYS breaking up over something. So theres not a lot of difference IMO.

Kris_xK on
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They're all teenagers so I expect it in any combination, but it is undeniable- the crime fighting chemistry was awesome.

Sharp10r on
    edited September 2009
    I do think they ended the relationship too soon. There were definitely more places to go. The Deadpool arc was just fantastic, even if it wasn't the crazy Deadpool I know and love from 616.

That being said, I do love the Peter/Gwen combo.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited September 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    I do think they ended the relationship too soon. There were definitely more places to go. The Deadpool arc was just fantastic, even if it wasn't the crazy Deadpool I know and love from 616.

That being said, I do love the Peter/Gwen combo.

That really was a good arc.

I'm not a huge fan of the Peter/Gwen combo, mainly cause I like them as sorta brother/sister. But then again, I like Gwen a lot more than MJ.

I guess I sorta like the whole "Super Hero High School" vibe that happens when Kitty's around. The Liz/Firestar arc was great for that, having Pete hang around with Johnny Storm and Iceman. (which really needs to happen more often)

Ultimate Spiderman Comic #1
    Actually I just forgot Johnny just basically moved into Pete's as of USMC #1, I'll have to read #2.

Kris_xK on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So as someone that missed out on the Kitty/Peter relationship, what trades should I pick up?

Kyougu on
    edited September 2009
    16, 17, 18, 19, 20.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited September 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So as someone that missed out on the Kitty/Peter relationship, what trades should I pick up?

Volume 15: Silver Sable
    - Would be skipable but contains Spiderman Annual #1 which is Kitty and Pete's 1st date. And it is charming.
    Volume 16: Deadpool
    - Its not 616 DP, but he's still ok and Pete is fantastic in this. "Russian Metal Man?"
    Volume 17: Clone Saga
    - Beginning of the End for Kitty/Pete
    Volume 20: And His Amazing Friends
    - While not together, Kitty and Pete are still in close contact, and this is one of my favorite arcs.

Kris_xK on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, you kind of need the annual... too bad the rest of the Silver Sable arc was so meh... although it does have some good stuff with Flash.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So USM #2, MJ cut her hair it looks like and the Kitty having food thrown at her was funny I thought.

smokmnky on
    edited September 2009
    I saw a few pages of it, and was Bendis making a version of Ultimate Molly Hayes as a baddie?

I liked the Kitty/MJ fight, although mutants being hated is getting so old, especially after the first 30 issues of Ultimate X-Men where they saved the day (twice) and people would realize the good ones from the bad ones.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    It's six months after a mutant just decimated NYC

You remember 9/11 and how a shitload of people went "kill the muslims"?

Hello analogy

Me Too! on
    edited September 2009
    Hello analogy, how are you?

Right, but even then it was "kill the bad terrorist muslims over there" not "kill Ahmed down the street who we had lunch with last week ("It's not Ahmed, it's Achmed!")." I'm not buying this "have everyone whitewash all mutants as bad" kick every writer likes to do with them. And Flash was friends with Liz, he should know when to not be a dick to the good mutants.

X-Men = good

Magneto = bad

X-Men fight Magneto means, ipso facto ergo, they must be the good guys.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    Apparently you have never heard of the damn retards who went "mooslins did it therefore all of them are evil"

This is exactly what is being done with mutants post-Ultimatum

"A mutant did it therefore mutants are behind it"

Me Too! on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also, the Marvel general public has an average IQ of about 60.

Fencingsax on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah these are people who think Spidey is a criminal

I mean really come on

Me Too! on
    edited September 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Apparently you have never heard of the damn retards who went "mooslins did it therefore all of them are evil"

This is exactly what is being done with mutants post-Ultimatum

"A mutant did it therefore mutants are behind it"

Right, but we know that those are the nutjobs on the far end of the spectrum. It's when you make everyone out to hate mutants (which is what Loeb did with his stupid "shoot a mutant on sight" bill that got Cyclops killed) that it gets stupid. Especially when it was done to death during Claremont's and the 90's X-Men run. A mutant did blow Magneto's brains out too.

That's why it was nice that in the Ultimate Universe, the X-Men are seen as bad for about 6 months, then everyone likes them because they saved the day and the Ultimates said "these guys are super cool, thumbs up to them!"

Basically, those old lines of everyone freaking out is something that I would hope writers wouldn't try and bring into the Ultimate Universe, one that is a bit (a lot) more modern than the premise of the superheroes from the 60's.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    I dunno if you guys caught it, but in the intro to USM 1 it says that mutants have been made illegal or some shit.

I'm not home right now so I can't tell you exactly what it says, but its something to that effect.

Actually, you can read it in the USM 2 recap page:
    badmuties.jpg

Kris_xK on
    edited September 2009
    It's not so much being a mutant is illegal, but now they all have to register with the federal government. Kinda like a mini SHRA.

wirehead26 on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    It's not so much being a mutant is illegal, but now they all have to register with the federal government. Kinda like a mini SHRA.

Also, can't use powers, I guess.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009
    What the hell happened to make MJ so timid? I'm pretty sure the old MJ wouldn't let Kitty push her around.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009
    I get the feeling MJ being a reporter thing might have made her think about exposing Peter's identity in the afterglow of JJJ's "I was wrong about Spider-Man"

This created friction between Peter and MJ. You get the feeling with MJ and Kitty's scene she doesn't know when to "stop" with the reporting, like she's thrown herself behind it 110%.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    I wanna know why the principal had to bring along a bat as well as two cops into his cafeteria.

Gwen/Pete is growing on me.

Kris_xK on
    edited September 2009
    Regarding the cafeteria scene, there was mention in the Ultimatum issues of USM that the school might be shutting down due to all the shit that's happened to it. I guess they're not fucking around anymore in terms of security.

wirehead26 on
    edited September 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I get the feeling MJ being a reporter thing might have made her think about exposing Peter's identity in the afterglow of JJJ's "I was wrong about Spider-Man"

This created friction between Peter and MJ. You get the feeling with MJ and Kitty's scene she doesn't know when to "stop" with the reporting, like she's thrown herself behind it 110%.

I'm not sure if I agree that MJ would even consider that, but it certainly would take something that monumental to break the couple up and change her disposition to such a degree, and it's hard to think of alternate explanations.

Robos A Go Go on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The art for this issue was really good. Apart from Gwen's weird face, I dug it all.

Kyougu on