As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OMEGATHON THREAD! (Bow down before your OMEGA-MASTERS)

• AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hi,

You may remember this post from Gabe reminding us of PAX09:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/4/20/

Specifically this image:
    pax4.jpg

Unfortunately, my laptop at the time was out of battery, and I was left taking pictures instead (yes, that's me in the DK hat.

The caption, for that image was:
    So Take a look at these pictures of the hall from last year and then imagine it bigger.

I'll have my netbook ready this year, and hopefully I can rally the others that showed up for that awesome image. Will you join us this year in the Omegathon and making it bigger this year?

AlphaTwo on
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    yes, I will join you.

thespiffyneostar on
  • ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mine will be with me in my camera bag but I'm sure my wife will give me one of "those" looks if I were to participate. :D

ravemonger on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is like that WWE event where they handed out OOO signs to an entire row around the arena, and then had one W at the beginning.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can try and remember to bring mine with me. Mine's an old ass Dell (gotta like work hand-me downs), but I can squeeze some ASCII wang out of it.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll have my eee 900A with me.

kazuo on
  • Markster3000Markster3000 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    AlphaTwo wrote: »
    hopefully I can rally the others that showed up for that awesome image.
    You know that I'm too poor to go this year... :(

And this year, maybe I wouldn't have been enshrouded in shadow!

Markster3000 on
  • AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So if you guys read this. I'll try to be in the middle, with my starter laptop. Feel free to jump in and add to the piece as you get there...

AlphaTwo on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If threads are appearing saying that PAX is over.....then what was the final round of the Omegathon like?! I MUST KNOW!

Oh, and what happened with Connect Four? You guys said it was "solved" and stuff. I'm wondering if anything changed.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It was the last thing I expected it to be, it was....skeeball, and Fallout lost again

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BTP wrote: »
    If threads are appearing saying that PAX is over.....then what was the final round of the Omegathon like?! I MUST KNOW!

Oh, and what happened with Connect Four? You guys said it was "solved" and stuff. I'm wondering if anything changed.

In round 5 they played speed Connect Four (ten seconds per move), best 3 out of 5 games. Perhaps because the winning strategy is too complex to memorize, or perhaps because of the small time limit, the contestants did not play perfectly. In several of the games, the player moving second won even though with perfect play the player moving first should have won. Nevertheless, in both matches, the player moving first in the first game won the match.

In round 6 the played skee ball, best 3 out of 5 games. It was a little unfair in my opinion, because the same player played first in each of the games, and playing first is a big disadvantage (the second player knows exactly what score they have to beat). The second player won the first game, the second game was a tie, and the second play won the third and forth games. I don't know the omeganauts' names; perhaps someone else can tell you the names of the winner and runner-up. I know that the person who came in second overall this year was the same person who came in second overall last year.

Hirocon on
  • mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Valwryn(sp?) won and fallout returns for his third omegathon

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • RoshkoRoshko Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    The winner was Sean Morris, a good buddy of mine :)

Roshko on
  • ValwrynValwryn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You're goddamn right I won!

Brex123... I think it's me and you for that processor or whatever. Good luck on your 50/50 win :P.

Valwryn on
    Alpha Omeganaut 2009
  • JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    hella voted for you sean in that intel contest

Jediknightkarl on
    damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
    edited September 2009
    ^
    You have my respect then sir :).

Thanks for the blind faith.

Valwryn on
    Alpha Omeganaut 2009
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Poor fallout.

Goose! on
  • JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    my jedi senses told me it would be you lol

Jediknightkarl on
    damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
  • LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All of you were awesome! I had fun cheering everyone on... too much fun actually. My voice that was starting to go over the weekend is now completely tanked. XD

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
    edited September 2009
    I have to agree. That was an amazing group of people to be around for 3 days. You guys really made the event (and decimated my bar tab).

Valwryn on
    Alpha Omeganaut 2009
  • awitelintstaawitelintsta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You all were a fucking epic group of competitors, and I am honored to have been in y'all's presence this weekend.

awitelintsta on
    http://awitelintsta.gamerdna.com/
    Roleplayer, Pirate, and 2009 Omeganaut :D
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    Poor fallout.

I dunno... sure, winning would be nice, but he gets to be an Omeganaut for 3 years! That's pretty cool too. And coming in 2nd twice may be more of an accomplishment than winning once.

DJBreslin on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would just like to link this, from the first page of this thread...

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=11054839&postcount=12

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2009
    It's the luck of the draw to get in and the luck of the draw to get out sometimes.

Oh yeah if all you Omegas and +1's don't twitter stalk me so I can stalk you back I will be very sad. (Don't make ceiling cat sad)

@Lokiale or email: EVale7@hotmail.com
    (Alejandra, the small loud one)

Lokiale on
    2009 Omeganaut
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When I was participating in my second Omegathon, they told me that if I finished 2nd place again that I wouldn't get a third go at it. Unless something has changed, it looks like this year was Fallout's last. I hope not, but at the same time going to PAX without worrying about the Omegathon is actually kind of nice.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You all were a fucking epic group of competitors, and I am honored to have been in y'all's presence this weekend.

I second that. It was a great competition and just making it that far with you guys was win enough for me. Although, for those that made it to round 4 and left right after, you missed some awesomeness backstage. Me, Valwryn, Fallout and one of the other guys watched most of the show backstage and got a bunch of autographs. That right there was more win than I could ask for. Plus, I won a Playboy at the post pax party, so bonus! :winky:

Seriously, though, I can't say enough how epic this weekend was, competing and meeting everyone. Thank you other Omeganauts for being awesome, and everyone who cheered us on. And of course, congrats to Valwryn. Get your sake on while you're out there. :)

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
    edited September 2009
    ^
    Thanks Bob, I can assure you sake will be drank in your honor.

Being backstage on Saturday and meeting all the bands + 1 Mr. Wil Wheaton was so surreal.

This was NOT Fallout's last year. I can confirm a verbal agreement that if he got second this year he WILL be back.

Valwryn on
    Alpha Omeganaut 2009
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Congratulations, Valwryn for crushing my intel raffle dreams with well placed skeeballs. I was the dude talking to you after Beatles Rock Band round out on the floor. Enjoy Japan. :D

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • scharfscharf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Awesome job, Valwryn. Had a great time with you guys this weekend, and celebrating at the bar afterwards!

-Andrew (rinoabella's +1)

scharf on
    edited September 2009
    Hey guys,

I just watched the video and had the most horrible sinking experience. On my first time watching the video I noticed an inconsistency, the final throw of the fourth round (winning round) was when I had 170 points, not 180, which means we tied that round at 210, not a win for me at 220.

HOWEVER, on a second play through of the video, that "final throw" was actually my seventh throw, meaning I had 2 more chances to get 10 points for the win.

Just wanted to nip this in the bud before it got out of hand... sure it's not as epic on winning on the final throw, but it was still a win, which is what I wanted to clear up.

Video in question: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/26291

Valwryn on
    Alpha Omeganaut 2009
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think you won legitimately. Pretty sure fallout or anyone else has no complaints.

But it kind of sucks there was so many issues with the skee-ball machine.

I hope fallout wins next year though, being runner up that many times is awful.

parabola on
    edited September 2009
    I thought it was 170 when I saw it, but honestly everything's all been said and done and in those last two shots I'm pretty sure you would have gotten at least 10 points.

Still cool of you to bring it up though. Buy Fallout a bottle of sake if you still feel weird.

Lokiale on
    2009 Omeganaut
  • HATEHATE Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey Val,

I wanted to stick around to congratulate you in the end, but the place was so packed I didn't feel I could make it to the front. Send me a PM when you get a chance so we can exchange infoz! Grats on the win!

- HATE

HATE on
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
    2009 Omeganaut
  • HATEHATE Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Third!

If any of you want to stay in touch my gtalk is redsand4@gmail.com

Was an honor to be in the company of such awesome individuals!

- HATE

HATE on
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
    2009 Omeganaut
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    When I was participating in my second Omegathon, they told me that if I finished 2nd place again that I wouldn't get a third go at it. Unless something has changed, it looks like this year was Fallout's last. I hope not, but at the same time going to PAX without worrying about the Omegathon is actually kind of nice.

I recall Tycho saying to fallout that he'd see him again next year. So I'm guessing something changed.

parabola on
  • tehshadowtehshadow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    parabola wrote: »
    I hope fallout wins next year though, being runner up that many times is awful.

But it just means that he is THAT awesome, being able to do that so many times.

tehshadow on
  • Soda241Soda241 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bring Fallout with you to Japan :D There we go.

Soda241 on
  • sergeminatorsergeminator Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Soda241 wrote: »
    Bring Fallout with you to Japan :D There we go.

That would be insanely cool. I second the motion.

sergeminator on
    steam_sig.png
  • Joey GekoJoey Geko Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Having seen Mr. Fallout up close and personal, I have developed the following theory: Noah Callaway is the Greatest Gamer of all Time, and is, in fact, "throwing" the last match of each Omegathon! Thereby ensuring his repeated and perpetual entries!

He could win-if he wanted to-he just loves being invited back again and again and again and again! Oh Noah, you're a clever, and devious young man!

;)

Joey Geko on
    Douche-Bag, Intellectual, Elitist Scum, Well-read Traveler, Nabob, Member of the Class of Omeganaut '08. The Omeganaut.
    edited September 2009
    Noah actually is devising a fiendish plan for immortality that requires him to be an Omeganaut 6 years in a row before it can come to fruition. He's so close now that he can taste it.

Omega urban legends!

Lokiale on
    2009 Omeganaut
This discussion has been closed.