As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

recommend me multiplayer games

JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Lately our favorite thing to do after blazing up is getting a little multiplayer gaming action going on, and I'm looking for new ideas. We have PS2, PS3, Wii, and 360. Generally we aren't a huge fan of wii type games because we are really lazy and don't feel like moving.

What we have been playing:
Hot shots golf fore - really fun, is the new hot shots on ps3 worth getting?
mario party - mindless but still pretty fun in a group
marvel ultimate alliance - wasn't that great under the circumstances
wario ware(gc) - sadly disappointing, not as much fun as we thought

Things we play at my brothers (possible to get ported/updated versions?)
worms armageddon - we like this one a lot, and it's ps1, but is there a superior version to get?
nba jam(snes) - this is one of our favorites, is this ported anywhere or is the ps2 version any good?

Any other good suggestions are welcomed, since we aren't playing online but with 3-4 people, things like left 4 dead and team fortress arent going to be what I'm looking for. Thanks

JeffH on

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Worms 2: Armageddon is on xbox live arcade if you wanted to get a more recent version of that. Another good XBLA game my friends and I have been getting hooked on is bomberman live.

I think both are 800 MSP, but bomberman has 3 DLC packs, 1 costs 200 and the others are 250 if I recall.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Worms 2: Armageddon came out on XBLA a few months back. Seems pretty good. And you only need one controller!

And I know you said you're not a fan of the Wii games, but Boom Blox on the Wii makes for an awesome multiplayer experience. A lot of the minigames only need one Wiimote too. But yeah, you do have to make a throwing motion to play properly.

edit: just beaten on Worms 2.

Also, Red Faction: Guerrilla has a fun little mode called Wrecking Crew which is an offline multiplayer mode that has you taking turns to destroy as much property as possible within a certain amount of time.

SteevL on
  • Options
    SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think you'd love "I made a game with zombies in it" (not the actual spelling). It's on the 360 indie games marketplace for 1$. It's a local coop schmup with a hilarious set of enemies and soundtrack.

At a 1$ price point it's worth checking out :)

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just in case you've not played it,

Super Smash Brothers?

I preferred melee, but brawl is good fun too.

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yeah we have brawl/melee as well, thanks for the reminder as I need to get 2 more GC controllers :)

The DLC you guys listed sounds really interesting, I'll check it out tonight.

JeffH on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    two words: ROCK BAND

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    two words: CATCH PHRASE

This game is really fucking fantastic. It can get loud though.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Warhawk on PS3 can be very fun with 4 players local, especially if everyone goes for dogfighting instead of fighting on the ground. LittleBigPlanet is also much better locally than online. I would of course suggest renting both of them before making a decision because they're not for everyone.

Seconding Rock Band, though it's on the expensive side if you don't already have plastic instruments.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bomberman
    Smash TV

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You have a 360? Live Arcade is made for quick 'n easy multiplayer games.

Both Ninja Turtles games (1984 Arcade and Turtles in Time) are awesome brawlers, and can support up to 4 players at a time.

Castle Crashers, while I have yet to actually play, has gotten glowing reviews as a brawler with rpg elements.

Worms and Worms 2 are both awesome games, and I often play them in a similar situation to what you're looking for.

If you're into board games, Carcassone for XBLA is pretty awesome.

And Ticket to Ride is even better.

There are probably many, many more.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BUSHIDO BLADE.

It may be only 2 player but get a round robin going and within two minutes everyone will have played at least once. My friends and I used to spend Friday nights playing that game to death.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BUSHIDO BLADE.

It may be only 2 player but get a round robin going and within two minutes everyone will have played at least once. My friends and I used to spend Friday nights playing that game to death.

Yeah, if you can find a copy, grab it. It's a great fighting game. Timesplitters is awesome multiplayer FPS fun. The second one is the one I've got and play still to this day. Soulcaliber II is really good for pick up and play.

Drake on
  • Options
    ddofsummerddofsummer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cell Factor: PW is Awesome for Xbox360's XBLA Multiplayers.
    It's like old gungames used to be but for a nowadays situation. If you liked duke nukem then youd like this game, uses unreal tournament 3 engine and has a Demo to download so give it a try.

Grand Chase is so much fun. download it for any PC windows and mac i think.
    It's a 2d Action RPG, but plays with fun fighting matches, has awesome music and arenas and has multiplayer qualitys with that of supersmashbrothers! It's free to download so have a blast.

ddofsummer on
    [SIGPIC] You want a hug, I want a hug. Everybody wants a hug. [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You have a 360? Live Arcade is made for quick 'n easy multiplayer games.

Both Ninja Turtles games (1984 Arcade and Turtles in Time) are awesome brawlers, and can support up to 4 players at a time.

Castle Crashers, while I have yet to actually play, has gotten glowing reviews as a brawler with rpg elements.

Worms and Worms 2 are both awesome games, and I often play them in a similar situation to what you're looking for.

If you're into board games, Carcassone for XBLA is pretty awesome.

And Ticket to Ride is even better.

There are probably many, many more.

Heavy Weapon isn't half-bad for local co-op, either.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hi, but I am looking for something more affiliated with high end PC's like a type of FEAR 2 or something. I already know about combat arms and warrock but I am looking for other games ( maybe lost in the WEB or underground ) Can somebody reccomend a game. lately I just want to make one. TF2 is really most I play and DOD, can anyone reccomend anything else?

ddofsummer on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ddofsummer wrote: »
    Hi, but I am looking for something more affiliated with high end PC's like a type of FEAR 2 or something. I already know about combat arms and warrock but I am looking for other games ( maybe lost in the WEB or underground ) Can somebody reccomend a game. lately I just want to make one. TF2 is really most I play and DOD, can anyone reccomend anything else?

No offense, but since this is in a completely different type of recommendation, you should probably make another thread for it. That said, Crysis?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BUSHIDO BLADE.

ffff this game was so fun oh my god
    definitely this
    Also Timesplitters 1+2
    not 3
    Boom blox maybe, might not be your style

RubberAC on
  • Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm definetely going to throw in for Bushido Blade, and BB 2 (they did make this right? Or am I just imagining it).

Anyways, Bushido Blade is amazing, if you get good enough, with equal skill, you can have epic sword fights. If someone is a shade better, fights can last a single sword stroke, I kid you not.

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I only have a PS2 and a WII for my consoles, so my contributions will be limited...

One of the best PS2 games I've plaid multiplayer was the Balder's Gate: Dark Alliance series. Two player dungeon crawl that is made glorious by the lack of screen panning (if one character camps, the other cannot move farther than the screen can pan). While this can occasionally be frustrating, it usually turned into a "who can kill the other player first" sort of game. Of course, your millage may vary.

For Wii, Wii Sports Resort is nothing short of amazing for two players, with quite a few games to enjoy (from pretty impressive aerial combat to sword fighting). Lots of movement should you wish it, but most of the time we sit on the couch without straining ourselves (sword fighting non-withstanding, as custom demands we stand, bow, and fence).

Smash bros, of course.

I've also hugely enjoyed Mario Cart. The wheels, while gimmicky, do make for a more immersive experience. The gameplay is fantastic, with up to four players. The battle modes from the previous games come back, and there are dozens of types of cars (and motorcycles now!).

Lastly, Dokapon Kingdom. Think Mario-Party combined with a JRPG. You move on the map, fight bosses and random battles, steal from your fellow players, collect items and weapons, and generally have a good time. The gameplay is LONG, however. A full game map can last days with all the switch arounds you can do. Generally, you set the game to a set amount of turns and the person with the highest score (=money) wins. I'd definitely rent or borrow it, unless you really like the genre. Its been hit or miss with most people I've plaid it, with most loving it, but a few hating it. Very few are in between.

Enc on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    BUSHIDO BLADE.

definitely this
    Also Timesplitters 1+2
    not 3

Wait, why not Timesplitters: Future Perfect? That had awesome/silly arcade style multiplayer.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I second Dokapon Kingdom and Smash.

Both are superb.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    boomblox.jpg

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Has the arcade-sports genre (NFL Blitz, etc) been completely crushed by the ROSTER 09, NOW WITH REAL-TIME SHIT-TAKING genre? If not, I'm thinking that a "casual" sports game would be a fucking champ.

Also, does the latest Burnout do four-player splitscreen?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't think Paradise has any local multiplayer to begin with. But I haven't played in ages so I might have forgotten.

Edit: It does, but in the form of a DLC party pack. And is only "pass the controller" style.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Burnout Revenge had some good multiplay but it was only 2-way. Another good round-robin game.

Honestly, the only game I've ever had a decent single-screen four-way with was Goldeneye 64, but I really haven't played that many games.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    BUSHIDO BLADE.

definitely this
    Also Timesplitters 1+2
    not 3

Wait, why not Timesplitters: Future Perfect? That had awesome/silly arcade style multiplayer.

compared to the first two it was a huge letdown

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Do not forget about PS2's best! "Guitar Hero's, Harmonix's, DDR's!" predecessor, Frequency with it's awesome sequal (and yet a little bit less fun) Amplitude. Both are awesome music games that never really were too popular and I could never understand why. Is a classic for me and you should buy it + a duster + tape for wires? I got mine cleaned + the disk a few weeks ago, so worth playing again.

ddofsummer on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ddofsummer wrote: »
    Do not forget about PS2's best! "Guitar Hero's, Harmonix's, DDR's!" predecessor, Frequency
    or as i like to call it "finger finger revolution"

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    two words: CATCH PHRASE

This game is really fucking fantastic. It can get loud though.

Probably not what the OP is looking for, but Apples to Apples is a great game that can be fucking hilarious if you have the right sense of humor, plus it's really light on rules and can be learned in 2 minutes.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png