As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Champions Online - Zero trans fat hero spread

• Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Yeah I feel bad about that sometimes. I don't think he likes me much he took me off his friend's list :(

Wait, someone willingly friended you? Now that's just weird.

I've been having a good time with the game so far. The game still has some issues. I have to wait for them to fix vicious vigor before I can go back to my single blade guy. Also the pvp is really off putting, but can be fun if you play with a PA team.

Ash-Housewares on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Angry wrote: »
    melee energy builders are super useless in pvp. melee users should really just have a passive energy recharge equal to their eb which stops on charge abilities.

Yeah, something like this.

Or just give them energy whenever they're in 50 ft. of the target, but save the damage for when they close.

I do not like melee having the shaft.

Incenjucar on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TheScruple wrote: »
    Well, the server was rolling along just fine until the last patch, which increased user bandwidth by 25% while reducing the server's ability to handle incoming bandwidth from 15-50% depending on what monitoring software was running. Cryptic will look to buy a new server to compensate, but costs to start a server over again are out of whack at the moment.

This here just made my day.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    Yoshua wrote: »
    precisionk wrote: »
    So how is the pvp fighting in this game? Or whatever the cage fighting is.

It's a fun diversion, well depending on your power selections. I won't say there are any must have powers for PvP, but non-standard builds may require some non-standard strategies to be viable.

However there is very little pvp content, so eventually you will tire of running the same UTC cage match over and over.

When I pvped most of my teams that played well focus fired anyone with an offensive passive, which is very easy to see in game. Teleport and Regen (which one of my guys has) is king of survival from what I've seen and if that doesn't change the hardcore pvpers will all have it. Crowd control and knockback is annoyingly useful against runners/anyone. Melee energy builders SUCK.

The counters to teleport are not common knowledge, but that should change soon. Chain knockbacks and abilities that disable travel powers are both viable counters to teleport. And yeah, if you don't have defensive passives, you will be picked on since you will be the easiest person to kill. You need to be with a good team who can keep you alive to use other passives, and even then I am not sure it's worth it (offensive passives were pretty gimp to start with, and they just got nerfed).

Yoshua on
  • XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Going through Champions Online withdraws.

:ohgod:

Xabora on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, i'm considering picking this up to play when i'm pissed at crashing yet again in WAR. Two important questions for you fine folks.

Besides this obvious downtime, how are the servers and client? Lots of crashing or super smooth gameplay like the original CoX was at launch?

Also is it knee deep in furry scum like cox was at release?

The 2nd question is the more important of the two.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CorriganX wrote: »
    So, i'm considering picking this up to play when i'm pissed at crashing yet again in WAR. Two important questions for you fine folks.

Besides this obvious downtime, how are the servers and client? Lots of crashing or super smooth gameplay like the original CoX was at launch?

Up until this crash everything was smooth for me.

Yes

Cabezone on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

1) It varies. Sometimes it is smooth as butter, then later it turns into rubber band land. They're still figuring out the servers, from what I've seen. There are also some glitches with NVIDIA that, if you turn off a setting, clears up really nicely. It's a work in progress.

2) Furries are everywhere, and always will be, there is no escape. That said, furries are usually hard-core RPers, and so spend much of their time in Club Caprice.

Incenjucar on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I haven't had that bad of an experience, though others have said that they've had it pretty bad.

They certainly are present, but I've been soloing mostly and I've found it tolerable. :)

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited September 2009
    There are furries I guess, they haven't infringed on my enjoyment of the game though. And there are far, far, far more non-furries.

The servers have had some issues, I cannot lie. But it hasn't been horrible.

Yoshua on
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    With as much complaining as I tend to do when I find something that really annoys me I do find the game in general fun. I kinda wish they hadn't put pvp in til they were happy with how pve is since akinos said the other day they aren't balancing pvp at all right now.

Other than PvP and bitching about my force guy being unplayable atm due to defensive nerfs/field surge being broken right now I've enjoyed the game alot.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Speaking of which, my old RP buddies from Virtue are trying to draw me back into their fold. damn them...man, I wanted to play this game like a normal fucking person!

Wallhitter on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    blue dot weeee

krylon666 on
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As rough as the patch was on the first day I've adapted my Power Armor / Invuln character enough to get through it. Even with things in flux I'm still having a great time with the game.

TheColonel on
  • XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    :O

624megs of data to be modified and... patch server is down. >_<

Xabora on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    why am i downloading a 624meg patch?

Angry on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I guess you felt like patching? We don't know your motives.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Daeke just tweeted:
    Those of you attempting to patch and seeing a 600MB patch. STOP. Wait till the servers are up, and THEN patch.

http://twitter.com/Cryptic_Daeke/status/3742152023
    I may or may not be at home also trying to connect.. >.>

Akinos on
    edited September 2009
    With as much complaining as I tend to do when I find something that really annoys me I do find the game in general fun. I kinda wish they hadn't put pvp in til they were happy with how pve is since akinos said the other day they aren't balancing pvp at all right now.

Other than PvP and bitching about my force guy being unplayable atm due to defensive nerfs/field surge being broken right now I've enjoyed the game alot.

Yeah the passive nerfs was 10 shades of bullshit. I don't mean fixing regen critting, that was a bug. I mean reducing the defensives to the point where they hardly provide defense at all.

It is kind of funny, when I started playing I expected defensives to not do all that much, like in other MMO's where DPS is usually king. I was pleasantly surprised when I found my defensive abilities were actually keeping me alive and did pretty much what they said they would do.

Then they patched them and we're back in-line with other MMO defensive abilities. Kinda frustrating.

Not to mention that making so many broad-sweeping changes at one time is a rookie developer mistake. Something that Cryptic is not and deserves to be raked over the coals for. (since they've done it before and that was about as well recieved)

Yoshua on
    edited September 2009
    Akinos wrote: »

Daeke just tweeted:
    Those of you attempting to patch and seeing a 600MB patch. STOP. Wait till the servers are up, and THEN patch.

Thanks for explaining how you guys balance PFF compared to powers that have no damage absorbtion limit by the way Akinos. I do belive I forgot to say so before I logged.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know if it was posted yet, but...

Free Retcon to Early Start Players
    Due to the general balance pass on powers and difficulty that was made in the early morning hours of September 1st, we will be issuing a full retcon to early-start characters created before our launch day patch. As we did not anticipate needing to do such broad-based changes, we felt doing something extraordinary for our players was appropriate. Please note that this retcon will only be issued to characters that were created during the head start program.

We are currently working on a system to issue this retcon to early start characters. As soon as we have the technology in place to do so, we’ll let you know. Thank you all for supporting the game through the first few days of the launch.

However, as long as there's no expiration date, I'll probably wait until the end of next week for using mine (provided it's in by then).

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    There are also some glitches with NVIDIA that, if you turn off a setting, clears up really nicely. It's a work in progress.

What's this?

EDIT: That free retcon sounds nice, definitely got a few things I want to change around.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    NATIK wrote: »
    There are also some glitches with NVIDIA that, if you turn off a setting, clears up really nicely. It's a work in progress.

What's this?

No one knows, not even Cryptic. It's all very odd. We get regular updates on their progress though, and last I saw some guys from NVIDIA are helping them out with the issue. As for changing that setting, that doesn't work for everyone.

Magic Radio on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    hmmm, if i can just respec my 18 munitions guy that would be nice.

except he'd still be 7 feet tall, which i really wish i noticed earlier.

/edit, i did the nvidia fix and it did nothing at all for me. upping the draw distance to max helped a lot though.

Angry on
    edited September 2009

What's this?

No one knows, not even Cryptic. It's all very odd. We get regular updates on their progress though, and last I saw some guys from NVIDIA are helping them out with the issue. As for changing that setting, that doesn't work for everyone.

What is the setting though?

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

What's this?

EDIT: That free retcon sounds nice, definitely got a few things I want to change around.

What is it with NVIDIA cards and issues, I've gotten nothing but grief from mine. Hell, uTorrent somehow manages to crash my card and I have no idea why.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
    edited September 2009
    hmmm, if i can just respec my 18 munitions guy that would be nice.

except he'd still be 7 feet tall, which i really wish i noticed earlier.

Errr...you know it's very cheap to change your character at the tailor....right?

Cabezone on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah character visual changes are very very cheap, I could make 10 totally new costumes for my guy with the amount of money I have.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Daeke just tweeted:

Thanks for explaining how you guys balance PFF compared to powers that have no damage absorbtion limit by the way Akinos. I do belive I forgot to say so before I logged.

Recap for those of us not on?

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited September 2009

While I by no means recommend changing this, because you know PC's are voodoo magic, but the setting is under your NVIDIA control panel, 3d settings, and it's Threaded Optimization. Setting it to Off seems to have helped a few people, but not everyone.

Magic Radio on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah character visual changes are very very cheap, I could make 10 totally new costumes for my guy with the amount of money I have.

I think I made my second costume for under 50 silver, or whatever the silver money is supposed to be called.

Cabezone on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

While I by no means recommend changing this, because you know PC's are voodoo magic, but the setting is under your NVIDIA control panel, 3d settings, and it's Threaded Optimization. Setting it to Off seems to have helped a few people, but not everyone.

Yeah, I messed around with that and didn't notice any significant differences for me.

mrflippy on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

It helped me a ton. I was able to turn on a lot of fancy effects, like bloom, lighting, and shadows. It makes attacks look amazing.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
    edited September 2009
    PC's are voodoo magic

100% truth and something which I inform everyone who asks me advice too about them too, I will try it though when I can play next time, it's getting kinda annoying for the FPS to be at 25 no matter what I change in the settings.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    i was not aware you could change the height of a character in the tailor.

lesson learned.

Angry on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know what would really be nice is some way to have different graphics settings based on whether you're inside our outside.

For example, I have my world/object view distances cranked all the way down to improve performance. It looks bad, but I get smooth gameplay that way.

Now, when I go inside for an instance of some sort, there is this crazy smoky fog everywhere that gives me a headache. It goes away if I turn up world view distance by even just 1 notch. (And I really don't need the view cranked down inside because there isn't much to see)

mrflippy on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i was not aware you could change the height of a character in the tailor.

lesson learned.

They just take a little off the top.

;-)

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited September 2009
    The latest news on the performance issues. For when the forums are working a bit more smoothly of course.

Magic Radio on
    edited September 2009
    Dac wrote: »

Daeke just tweeted:

Recap for those of us not on?

Akinos can correct me if I am wrong but the guy who does the defensive stuff makes it so they all absorb X amount of damage over Y time.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm on the fence about CO, couple of questions.

I played CoX, and i love the super hero/villian idea. It was the mission structure that killed it for me. The bland but randomly generated maps got really blah for me. And was frustrating if it needed a complete clear and i missed that one baddie somewhere along the way. The action seemed kinda slow.

How are the missions in CO compared to CoX? Are they faster paced? Better designed or just more of the same with higher rez textures?

2nd question. With WoW i can copy the whole game folder, on to another computer and start playing. Can this be done with CO? If not what is the easiest way to move a game install so i don't have to re-download the client?

Thanks.

fodderboy on