As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy XI: March 2007 Update (Holy fuck, Square listened! Square listened!)

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I refuse to power level, and I leave parties that take one on.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah I'm gonna avoid it in the future. Was booooring.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I just leveled to 33 again on Samurai, and what with the Savage Separates and the Republic Subligar I feel way underdressed. I am a second teir tank for Altana's sake, I should be wearing more metal!

http://www.pacams.com/images/Bri1.JPG

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • CasperCasper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    PLs take all the fun out of it and hurt parties later on because some of the WHMs have no idea how to do there job when there is not a PL around. And depending on the LVL they will take all the dmg so the tanks do not learn when to voke properly.

Casper on
  • DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not to mention whenever a Dunes or Qufim party gets a PL they believe they are instantly 100x stronger and can take on anything in the zone. "We have a PL, lets take Pugils!" is the worst thing you will ever hear. Yeah you can get 200xp per kill, but if it takes 5 minutes to kill one what's the point? Yet the still cheer anyways.

Haha this reminds me. Once in that situation I tried to explain the math to the party, that lower xp faster is better than higher xp waaay slower. A person in the group claimed he was a "college math major" and simply said "Bigger numbers are better."

MMO's attract the most stupid people.

DuskTwilight on
  • aettaett NorCalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am loving this new update, and I also like being a BLU/NIN. I'm soloing and still gaining levels much faster than I ever did in a party... at least in the Dunes.

aett on
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    people who dont know how to play the game after a pl lvl 1-30 arent any good anyway. when i was playing anything to get me through dunes>qufim>la jungla faster the better. any monkey can get exp points 11 is all about endgame anyway.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
    edited March 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    people who dont know how to play the game after a pl lvl 1-30 arent any good anyway. when i was playing anything to get me through dunes>qufim>la jungla faster the better. any monkey can get exp points 11 is all about endgame anyway.

No. Just no.

DuskTwilight on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Personally I'm more in the boat of not getting PL'd due to reasons described above; though I will say that it seems that the herd has been thinned and the people who are still left in FFXI tend to know what they're doing anyway and/or are just doing an alt job and want to make the low crap go faster. Having said that, I've stayed in PL parties in the past if for no other reason than it's better to have a PL party than sit around forever with no party at all.

But this is a redundant argument guys; can we just not have it please?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I noticed a few folks mentioning a Free Trial. Unfortunately, the only version that FFXI has is a Buddy Pass, which you get when you buy a new copy of the game. Luckily, I recently purchased the 2007 Vanadiel Collection for myself (just to have a secondary account), and I have a spare Buddy Pass lying around from that.

So if there is someone here who would genuinely like to give the game a try, feel free to PM me, and I'll be happy to give you the pass details. I don't have any need for it myself.

Just keep in mind that you'll have to download a copy of the game from SE, and that you won't have access to any expansion content (Rise of the Zilart, Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Urghan). But you shouldn't need that to get a feel for the game and see if you have an interest in it.

edit: Oh, and I sincerely doubt anyone here plays on Bahamut, but you never know. If you do, however, feel free to say hi. My character's name is Murphie.

Murphy on
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just started a RDM on Asura earlier today....If anyone see's me send me a tell.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    aett wrote: »
    I wish I could transfer my character to another server. I've never known anyone else to play on Valefor, and I really don't want to lose my character and start all over. I'm "only" level 30 with my main job, but it took a while to get there and I've unlocked a few of the advanced jobs.

What's your character name? I've been on Valefor since the NA PS2 release. Still only Lv60 though.

And while we're dispensing information to new/returning players, I'll say one thing. Dispite the seemingly infinite amount of idiots there, there is a ton of good information to be had on allakhazam.com. Particularly the stickies in the job forums.

Rock Lobster! on
    Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
    edited March 2007
    I prefer FFXIOnline (Dreams in Vanadiel). The community is far more helpful, and less like something you might find in a mental hospital. It's also one of the oldest FFXI communities out there, with folks have have been playing since JP release (importers).

Between FFXIO, the Wiki, BG, MysteryTour and Somepage, I really have no reason to ever visit Alla. And I like it like that.

I may not be the best person to advise you here, Aett, as I'm working on what is probably my sixth character (so clearly I don't mind starting over), but the people you play this game with are what make the game. If you think you'll find more folks to group with/have fun with/whatever on another server, it's worth it to make the move. I understand having a connection to a character that you've put a lot of effort into, but you'll burn out far faster without people to share your experiences with.

That said, SE is talking about making server transfers available in the future. No details have been provided as yet, but that is something to consider if you'd rather stick it out and make the switch later.

Murphy on
  • aettaett NorCalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What's your character name? I've been on Valefor since the NA PS2 release. Still only Lv60 though.

My character's name is Karnein.
    Murphy wrote:
    That said, SE is talking about making server transfers available in the future. No details have been provided as yet, but that is something to consider if you'd rather stick it out and make the switch later.

Yeah, if anything I'm going to wait. I'm actually having a pretty good time soloing my BLU/NIN at the moment, and it's kind of nice that there aren't many crowds. It does make some items at the auction house harder to come by, though. In any case, I'm a pretty casual player.

aett on
  • CasperCasper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Who you play with does have a large impact on thee enjoyment of the game. A good Linkshell with relieable people makes it very fun.

Casper on
    edited March 2007
    Murphy what is this BG site? I keep hearing it mentioned but no one ever links to it.

DuskTwilight on
    edited March 2007
    aett wrote: »

Yeah, if anything I'm going to wait. I'm actually having a pretty good time soloing my BLU/NIN at the moment, and it's kind of nice that there aren't many crowds. It does make some items at the auction house harder to come by, though. In any case, I'm a pretty casual player.

there are never any crowds if you solo. AF wont be as easy though. Maybe it is idk I got af over 2 years ago on my old main.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    edited March 2007

No. Just no.

Yeah, there is lots to this game that is not "end game". And this attitude of not caring about the most basic and fundimental of job levels is what results in party wipes levels 40+. I should not be dieing in Sauramonge Champaign or Garliege Citidel, and if I am because of something a dumbass party member who got powerleveled up through the jungle did, I am going to be hella furious.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited March 2007
    BG is Order of the Blue Gartr. They are an endgame LS on Bahamut (which just happens to be my server, but that's mere coincidence). Their forums have become the de facto endgame forums for FFXI, and folks from every server post there. They are a rather caustic lot, but there is a lot of really good information to be found there too.

Murphy on
    edited March 2007

No. Just no.

Yeah, there is lots to this game that is not "end game". And this attitude of not caring about the most basic and fundimental of job levels is what results in party wipes levels 40+. I should not be dieing in Sauramonge Champaign or Garliege Citidel, and if I am because of something a dumbass party member who got powerleveled up through the jungle did, I am going to be hella furious.

i wasnt so much. by the time i took my fifth job through the jungles I wanted it fast and furious other party members be damned. like i said, and I'll stick to it, any monkey can lvl to 75. takes no talent at all. if i need a job high lvl now so I can fight big mobs in Sea more effectively I will gladly leave a party that has some silly morale ground against pls. and if someone sucked it up i'd leave or if I was lead I'd boot them after 1 warning. i didnt want to waste time in exp parties as they were the worst thing the game had to offer (minus airships) personal taste its not for everyone to be sure.

endgame isnt the only thing in ff11 but it is most certainly the best thing in the game. trust me, if you arent there rush it to the end I hate all the time I wasted sitting around in the 50s and 60s doing little junk. you're game though ;-)

loved the game though btw just not how it swallowed my soul for far too long

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    edited March 2007
    It's probably best if people play the way they want to play, and not get all up in arms when someone disagrees with that. I mean, I'm just saying.

There are so many things to enjoy about this game. No one person is right.

Murphy on
  • ducttapeenthusiastducttapeenthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Murphy wrote: »
    It's probably best if people play the way they want to play, and not get all up in arms when someone disagrees with that. I mean, I'm just saying.

There are so many things to enjoy about this game. No one person is right.

That is the most true statement that can be made about FFXI. Sure, you can do things in the "accepted" manner and breeze through, or you can do things your own way and have fun on your own terms.

Though some of you may have heard of the Anna WHM/THF debacle on my server (Garuda). She is the perfect example of a person with the right idea but the wrong attitude.

ducttapeenthusiast on
    edited March 2007
    word. great game with lots to do. i really enjoyed my time there for the most part.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • EricKeiEricKei Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm finally rejoining the madness in early April, having been gone for almost a year (gotta wait for a new optical drive). Erickei, bard seventy-something on Lakshmi. Whoever wound up there, please feel free to drop me a line if you need a hand, want to know what the hell is going on :P , or if you feel like yakking at somebody.

I'm the friendly kind of insane.

EricKei on
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of us could hardly succeed." ~ Mark Twain
    Goozex referral pimp sig, click Spoiler to see it.
    EricKei.png
    edited March 2007
    Lakshimi! your server forged a bond long ago with your other mid range population server Kujata. i bow to thee fellow mid population server!

neither ever had as much drama as the most :P

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • skullieskullie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hi, I mostly lurk around here but seeing this thread combined with the latest patch made me take the plunge and reactivate my account for the second time. I had a good taste in my mouth from the beginning when it was easier to reactivate my account than when I "Returned to Vana'Diel", but that's probably just because I had my POL username in an easier to access place this time.

So, I decided to start on Asura this time around like most of you fresh starters. The last two times I've played this game, I mostly had the problem where I didn't know anybody and had to rely on my real life friends to play with me. This time, I'd like to get started on the right foot and journey with some dedicated players. I've read the boards quite a lot and I know you're good people, so I'm interested in throwing in with you guys. Does anyone want to get a Linkshell started on Asura, or is there one already?

Anyways, I don't quite remember how to add people to the friends list in FFXI, but send me a message if you've got something going! I have 7 levels each in WAR/MNK/RDM so far, just trying to earn some starting money, and my name is Skullie.

I've had a great time with the new patch so far and it'd be awesome to see a Game On for this, hopefully with a lot of new players.

skullie on
  • EricKeiEricKei Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anyways, I don't quite remember how to add people to the friends list in FFXI,

/befriend username

It only works if you are both online & in-game at the same time.

EricKei on
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of us could hardly succeed." ~ Mark Twain
    Goozex referral pimp sig, click Spoiler to see it.
    EricKei.png
  • DeliasDelias Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man just reading this thread has made me start fiending to play again after 2 years of being FFXI free. Alas I can't find my disks anywhere, probably lost in a move, and you can't download the trial without a pass of some sort. Thus ended my attempts to get back into it.

Delias on
    darleysam wrote: »
    Wrex has no problem taking cover. Cover has a problem taking Wrex.

SWTOR - Elysium
    League of Legends Handle - Siegfreid
    WoW - Siegfreid
    FFXIV - Maxim
  • yomamayomama Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    After being gone from the game 4 months. I now realize after reading this..... That I may have to reactivate my account (providing that my character isn't deleted). In the event that I do come back to this game. Is anyone living it up on my server Cait Sith?

yomama on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I caved, I resubbed D:

See youother suckers on lakshmi around!

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • The Laughing ManThe Laughing Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I need someone to dissuade me from playing Final Fantasy XI again.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Samurai kicks ASS now.

Transporter on
    edited March 2007

Samurai kicks ASS now.

Zanshin at 20(?) Hasso, and then Meditate at 30? Oh hells yes!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • The Laughing ManThe Laughing Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I didn't even play a character with Samurai and it's still not stopping me from wanting to play!

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2007
    I didn't even play a character with Samurai and it's still not stopping me from wanting to play!

Who gives a fuck about you?

The only thing keeping me from not coming back is no server transfers.

And that's almost not enough.

Did I mention the economy's the best it's been, we'll, ever?

bri: wait till you hit 61(I think).

Oh hey look I can try out Thief as a sub now lemme just get behind this mob Sneak attack and Tachi:yukiOHMYGODWHEREDIDALLOFTHEMOBSLIFEGOITSGONEHOLYSHIT874DAMAGE

Transporter on
    edited March 2007
    You may not be able to server transfer, but World Passes are gone. You can just select your server now for a new toon.

Edit: Oh, and now I am going to have to level up thief for a sub.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited March 2007
    You may not be able to server transfer, but World Passes are gone. You can just select your server now for a new toon.

Edit: Oh, and now I am going to have to level up thief for a sub.

Unfortunately for me, that's kinda out of the question.

75 SAM/37 THF/39 WAR/27 NIN.

With a cool 2 mill in the bank and equips for each.

Yeah, not really wanting to do that again, lol.

Transporter on
  • mRtmRt Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    Okay, its been about 2 years since I've played, and I want to get back into the game. I would like to avoid purchasing the game again, as I still have the discs and would only have to purchase the latest expansion. I called SE yesterday because I don't remember my POL ID or Password :| , and they said that I would need to wait until the next Return Home to Vana'diel promotion.

Does any one have any idea when it will be, and if my characters will still be available once it is opened again?

mRt on
  • Evil_PigEvil_Pig Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Weren't you on Phoenix Transporter?

If you are, come join me. I'm on phoenix rigth now with my main being Karli at a cool lvl 10...Yeah, I know.

C'mon, it'll be cool. It really is a FUN game... AND I'm looking forward to knowing more people in game...
    Right now I'm just walking around doing tiny quests for fame and such, but I'll be going to Valkurm to lvl up and get my items soon. Would be nice to have someone of your experience to help me out and get the items with me, you know how that can be tough.

You now you want to...All of you here reading what's here but debating whether tog et it or come back into..Let this be the nail in the coffin...

Let there be light, and let it shine on PHOENIX

Evil_Pig on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Who gives a fuck about you?

The only thing keeping me from not coming back is no server transfers.

And that's almost not enough.

Did I mention the economy's the best it's been, we'll, ever?

bri: wait till you hit 61(I think).

Oh hey look I can try out Thief as a sub now lemme just get behind this mob Sneak attack and Tachi:yukiOHMYGODWHEREDIDALLOFTHEMOBSLIFEGOITSGONEHOLYSHIT874DAMAGE

That seemed a little uncalled for.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand