As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THE TESTER!!!!1!!!

StaleStale Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Social Entropy++
Sony is hosting a reality show to be a gerbil

Jesus Christ on a fucking Pogo Stick...

easysig2.jpg
Stale on

• Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the term is "guinea pig"

Charles Kinbote on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well there's already a show called that

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    unless stale meant it as the 'winner' would get firmly shoved up Sony's asshole.

Abracadaniel on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That's Italian-American pig!

JoeUser on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The reward is a slave labor job for the gaming indrustry.

AWESOME!!!!

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited September 2009
    I also thought being an official game tester is supposed to be tedious and boring.

JoeUser on
    edited September 2009
    ok that announcer needs to chill

the fuck

out

even listening to her gets my blood pressure uncomfortably high

Charles Kinbote on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I bet Bogey has something to do with this

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited September 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I also thought being an official game tester is supposed to be tedious and boring.

incredibly so

turnover is about 110%

people quit before they even get the job

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I sent that thing around the office yesterday. Got some good laughs. A contest that offers a 'contract QA position' as a prize? Hahaha. Oh, my.

Stale, I'm gathering information to reply to your PM. It will be sent to you reasonably soon.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited September 2009
    Stale wrote: »
    I bet Bogey has something to do with this

"Contestants must send photos of their sisters, must have bangin ass and titties"

Abracadaniel on
    edited September 2009
    That guy keeps posting his bent tails webcomic.

I was really hoping for a "Bent Tails - My Boner"

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited September 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    I sent that thing around the office yesterday. Got some good laughs. A contest that offers a 'contract QA position' as a prize? Hahaha. Oh, my.

Stale, I'm gathering information to reply to your PM. It will be sent to you reasonably soon.

gracias mi amigo

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited September 2009
    I think EA has some kind of testing center here

JoeUser on
    edited September 2009

incredibly so

turnover is about 110%

The only reason I'm still here is that my job is so completely different from the standard QA position. And that's unique to BioWare - there aren't really any other companies that seem to do this.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited September 2009
    so they're going to be broadcasting a dumb idea for a reality show in which people compete for a bottom-rung job with no hope of advancement on their own shitty console "network"

well, I'm sold

Charles Kinbote on
    edited September 2009
    But playing video games for money

PLAYING VIDEO GAMES FOR MONEY

!!VIDEO GAMES!!

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wow who wouldn't want to be a qa dude

Fuga on
    edited September 2009
    Anyone with a somewhat promising future.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited September 2009

near LSU?

yeah.

not for long.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited September 2009

incredibly so

turnover is about 110%

The only reason I'm still here is that my job is so completely different from the standard QA position. And that's unique to BioWare - there aren't really any other companies that seem to do this.

you and me both.

Most of Online adopted the Bioware approach. Studio and Labels? notsomuch.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited September 2009

near LSU?

yeah.

not for long.

Haha, really? I've never met anyone who's done anything there; it seemed like a weird choice.

JoeUser on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is why I hate that movie Grandma's Boy.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
    edited September 2009
    Campion wrote: »

!!VIDEO GAMES!!

Better tighten up the graphics on level four, campion

Abracadaniel on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    theres a 1 in the title!

Dadouw on
    edited September 2009

near LSU?

yeah.

not for long.

Haha, really? I've never met anyone who's done anything there; it seemed like a weird choice.

College talked an Alum into pitching another Alum inside the inner circle of EA.

Got setup, and then they realize.... "We can do this so much cheaper elsewhere."

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited September 2009
    I spent my day yesterday writing journal entries and building camera tracks so that we could properly test our facial effects in conversations.

What this job will probably involve is running through the same game multiple times a day, humping walls and generally doing the most tedious shit. I am convinced that the people in the video were told 'LOOK EXCITED OR YOU'RE FIRED'.

QA is not the place to be, generally speaking. Occasionally you can make the jump but most of the time it's really not worth it.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I know someone who works in QA with you, vsove. That person always seems to really enjoy her work, so it's funny to hear it's not like that at other companies. Well, not surprised actually, since all companies are different.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
    edited September 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Campion wrote: »

!!VIDEO GAMES!!

Better tighten up the graphics on level four, campion

My mom knew I'd finally get somewhere with video games.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited September 2009
    I wouldn't touch that job with RMD's dick.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited September 2009
    I think I know someone who works in QA with you, vsove. That person always seems to really enjoy her work, so it's funny to hear it's not like that at other companies. Well, not surprised actually, since all companies are different.

What's her name?

And yeah, even our terms are given a lot more responsibility/trust than in other companies.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited September 2009
    When I was younger I wanted to workin the video game industry so badly, but I was always one of those deluded kids who thought that by working in the industry, I would get to make the games I wanted to make, etc, etc. Lucky I found out that the video game industry is pretty much like other industries. You do what's expected of you, but don't expect your input to go too far unless you're close to the top of the ladder.

Unless if you start out making indie games I guess. Then you do what you want, to an extent, and hope for the best.

Morgenstern on
    edited September 2009

What's her name?

And yeah, even our terms are given a lot more responsibility/trust than in other companies.

Kim. We went to the same university.

Morgenstern on
    edited September 2009

What's her name?

Watching the look of shock and disgust on the faces of Studio heads when we all got together last year at EARS and the two guys from Edmonton got up and explained how they ran QA was priceless.

Then I explained how I run it and they just shook their heads.

"See... you guys here have the luxury of hiring 150 18 year olds at 9 bucks an hour. THis si something we don't. We need 8 guys, really smart, and we give them the keys to the kingdom. Funny, our code works the first time, every time."

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Just hire 18 150-year-olds

JoeUser on
    edited September 2009

What's her name?

Watching the look of shock and disgust on the faces of Studio heads when we all got together last year at EARS and the two guys from Edmonton got up and explained how they ran QA was priceless.

Then I explained how I run it and they just shook their heads.

"See... you guys here have the luxury of hiring 150 18 year olds at 9 bucks an hour. THis si something we don't. We need 8 guys, really smart, and we give them the keys to the kingdom. Funny, our code works the first time, every time."

Stale, I can provide you with three hundred 20 year old Koreans in a warehouse in Seoul for half the price.

Morgenstern on
    edited September 2009

What's her name?

Cool, she's my boss, actually.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited September 2009

What's her name?

Cool, she's my boss, actually.

Small world. She doesn't beat you too badly, I hope.

I sometimes come in and do testing. Guy called Iain runs it, I believe.

Morgenstern on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Guinea pigs get tested on for results, run on a wheel all day, and sleep in a nest of their own shit. Gerbils just do the latter two.

Aneurhythmia on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is probably also an appropriate thread to note that just two hours ago a university sysop was asking me what "ess-see-ess-eye termination" is.

Aneurhythmia on