As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iTunes/ipod help

HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
I ended up doing a reformat/reinstall of windows not too long ago in the process of trying to fix my PC and unfortunately neglected to backup all the movies I'd converted from my DVD collection to iPod videos. I backed up the ones I'd recently converted but forgot to copy over all the ones I had in the "finished" folder. End result being I lost most of the files. D:

The good news is I still have a decent chunk of them on my ipod currently. Is there any way to export them from my ipod back into iTunes/on to my PC?

HappylilElf on

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Plug your iPod in, don't sync, tell iTunes to allow you to manage files manually (or kill iPodService, AppleMobileDeviceService, and iTunesHelper before plugging your iPod in).

Then look in your iPod drive for the hidden folder "iPod_Control", you may have to turn on Show Hidden Files and Folders.

Your music and movies should be all inside, the file names and folder structure will all be messed up but the metadata should still be consistent. So copy it all to some folder on your PC, then fire up iTunes and let iTunes sort it out.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ronya, you're a saint.

I'd gotten as far as looking at the folders/files on the ipod myself but the structure was all messed up as you said. That iTunes can figure it all out automatically is exactly what I was hoping for.

Thank ya!

HappylilElf on