As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strange and Embarrassing Moments: Italy: Land of Homoerotic Escapades

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah man, I mean, are you sure you're a guy? Because I read this book once, called the Wasp Factory...

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fuck you guys.

Fuck you in the butt >: (

Edit: Also, wasp factory.

What the fuck (just read the plot on Wiki)

Cristo on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    WHAT?!? That's a picture of you? As a dude? Uhh hate to burst your bubble but that's a picture of a lady.
    Not a terribly attractive lady, but definitely a lady.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    aseriesofchasmsaseriesofchasms Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    sorry lady, I don't appreciate that kind of language.

aseriesofchasms on
    If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind.
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You guys need to leave that poor little girl alone. They're delicate.

And this one sounds like it may be her time of the month.

Invisible on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    WHAT?!? That's a picture of you? As a dude? Uhh hate to burst your bubble but that's a picture of a lady.

Not a terrible lady lady either, what with the penis and everything.

Edit:

Oh shit, what if I'M the wasp factory?!

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Cristo wrote: »

Not a terrible lady lady either, what with the penis and everything.

Edit:

screenshots or it didn't happen.

aseriesofchasms on
    If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind.
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So being a late bloomer, my voice didn't break till i was...um, 17? something ridiculous anyhow. I now have a rich deep baritone, but previously I sounded like a girl.

9/10 times when I answered my phone, the person calling would say hi to either my mother, or my sister. That was annoying enough.

But the strange and embarrassing part is that I recorded my voice-mail message when I was a delicate soprano and it has stayed that way.

So when I went to a new work place, and had my phone number listed for "on call" issues, i had a string of messages that were all silence, and then another string of messages from my colleagues that were all laughter, as news of my embarrassing voicemail message was circulated.

Well, I 6ft 3inches now, so no one really says that stuff to my face anymore. Good times.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    MegalomaniageekMegalomaniageek Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One of the many, many things I despised about junior high was how gender-ambiguous I looked at the time. Wasn't a big deal though, since I never had an experience like this one related to me by a friend (let's call her Iris).

Now before I tell this story, know that while Iris is certainly not the most beautiful creature on this earth, she's not unattractive. So Iris was standing in line at the movies, in a sun dress. And this guy behind her taps her on the shoulder, then starts telling her how awesome and brave he thinks she is for wearing a dress in public...because he has clearly mistaken her for a cross-dressing man. This was around the time she called attention to her breasts, and his reaction was something along the lines of "oh shit whut?"

Megalomaniageek on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In grade school I was mistaken for a girl several times thanks to my naturally very red lips (I was also asked several times in school if I wore lipstick) and a damn bowl haircut.

One bus driver knew and kept doing it, too. "Oh, there is a free seat next to the girl back there." Asshole.

Arrath on
  • Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arrath wrote: »
    In grade school I was mistaken for a girl several times thanks to my naturally very red lips (I was also asked several times in school if I wore lipstick) and a damn bowl haircut.

One bus driver knew and kept doing it, too. "Oh, there is a free seat next to the girl back there." Asshole.

That bus driver sounds awesome.

I don't understand the shoe story. I mean, theres a perfectly good vagina right there and all the guy wants to fuck is her shoe? Insane.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "If the shoe fits..."

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Grislo wrote: »
    "If the shoe fits..."

...fuck it?

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sorry Cristo, but if I had seen you looking like that I would have assumed you were a lady. <_<

And I am a lady. So yeaaaa. My bad? Haha.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh hey, how about a mini-story that combines two great thread themes that taste great together: gender confusion and folks in wheelchairs?

So, a female friend of mine falls under both categories. People confuse her for a dude on a semi-regular basis. She uses a wheelchair to get around.

Don't worry, this incident did not embarrass her, but instead she was a catalyst for the following embarrassing incident:

So, she's rolling around town, and she's waiting at an intersection for a light to change. Standing next to her is a young kid and his dad. The kid is at that post-toddler pre-tween age where he can articulate semi-complex thoughts in full sentences, but has yet to develop any sort of self-censoring filter to prevent him from, for example, saying the following loud enough for anyone around to hear:

"Daddy, why is that man in a stroller?"

The dad immediately gets a look of horror on his face. My friend finds the whole thing hilarious. The light changes before the dad can even respond, either to his son or my friend, and then my friend rolls off, laughing her ass off.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    SinWithSebastianSinWithSebastian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gammarah wrote: »
    That bus driver sounds awesome.

I don't understand the shoe story. I mean, theres a perfectly good vagina right there and all the guy wants to fuck is her shoe? Insane.
    Fetishes are insane, huh

The strange and embarrassing bit in that story, IMO, was his inability to articulate his desire and just do it with an unsuspecting girl. Communication is key!

SinWithSebastian on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

I'd fuck her shoe.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not sure this is worth much but here goes,

I was walking into Leicester with my girlfriend, a pedestrianised route called 'new walk'. Some lovely old iron railings, and trees and benches and bollards and shit populate this route. Now across the middle of the road is a sort of iron gateway with a lamp top midde. The 'legs' to this are at about quarter length in from the side. Now, I notice walking towards us a blind man with a white cane doodad, walking pretty much headlong towards it. No worries, I think, he'll hit it with his cane and be fine.

Plus I really do not want it to be me trying to look good in front of beccs that makes me try to save someone who is in no danger. So I'm sort of watching this unfold, my fear of him clobbering himself and yet not wanting to be mistaken for trying to just look good. So I am torn, and he is still directly on target. when he is fairly close to us, his cane sweeps past the iron post and now he is on a pretty much inevitable collision course and so I shout 'careful' or some such. Crisis averted!

Beccs looks at me and exclaims 'You just saved him!' where upon I try to reply dismissively and self deprecatingly - so reply "nah, he'd have seen it." rather too loudly and it takes a while for me to realise what I just said.... sigh.

That's it. I do find it fascinating that other folks don't seem to foresee shit the same way I tend to.

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Teslan26 wrote: »

I was walking into Leicester with my girlfriend, a pedestrianised route called 'new walk'. Some lovely old iron railings, and trees and benches and bollards and shit populate this route. Now across the middle of the road is a sort of iron gateway with a lamp top midde. The 'legs' to this are at about quarter length in from the side. Now, I notice walking towards us a blind man with a white cane doodad, walking pretty much headlong towards it. No worries, I think, he'll hit it with his cane and be fine.

Plus I really do not want it to be me trying to look good in front of beccs that makes me try to save someone who is in no danger. So I'm sort of watching this unfold, my fear of him clobbering himself and yet not wanting to be mistaken for trying to just look good. So I am torn, and he is still directly on target. when he is fairly close to us, his cane sweeps past the iron post and now he is on a pretty much inevitable collision course and so I shout 'careful' or some such. Crisis averted!

Beccs looks at me and exclaims 'You just saved him!' where upon I try to reply dismissively and self deprecatingly - so reply "nah, he'd have seen it." rather too loudly and it takes a while for me to realise what I just said.... sigh.

That's it. I do find it fascinating that other folks don't seem to foresee shit the same way I tend to.

Bravo :lol:

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

That's fantastic.

aseriesofchasms on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, what the the forum and gender ambiguity? I only get asked If I wear lipstick, straighten my hair and use eye-liner. But I still look like a dude.

Note: I do none of the above. I hit the genetic lottery, and girls would love to be me.

Now that whole post was strange and embarrassing.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That's fantastic.

At least you didn't say, "Watch out"

Renzo on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've had a small child ask if I was a man or a woman once, which was a bit odd considering I was dressed in slacks, a dress shirt and tie, and my hair has never even been past my ears in length.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cristo wrote: »

You.... you should never come to this conclusion on your own out loud.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I've had a small child ask if I was a man or a woman once, which was a bit odd considering I was dressed in slacks, a dress shirt and tie, and my hair has never even been past my ears in length.

I remember wondering aloud, in a group of friends, why women over here (in the US) didn't wear ties to work. Or more specifically, why business attire for men always included ties (expected) but never for women (weird, to me).

My friend, who has a habit of stating things he is absolutely certain is true even when he's wrong (for years, he was convinced all 50cc motor-scooters/mopeds were battery powered because "their engines sound like that") told me: "Because women don't wear ties."

I looked at him like he'd just said, "Because women don't wear shoes. Duh."

Of course, more and more I think he's right. Just a weird culture shock thing, I guess.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    the tie is phallic and symbolic of the patriarchy

it represents masculinity and the power men have over women

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

All the more reason for bitches to be wearing 'em, then.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Then again, there are places where men still wear vests, so....culture shock.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Provincetown?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I always assumed men wore ties to cover the buttons on your shirt / fill up empty space exposed between a jacket, sort of an accessorized scarf. By the time women got around to wearing button-down shirts, for work or whatever, they'd rather leave the tie off and unbutton at least the top button :winky:

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

Provincetown?
    Weddings.

:mrgreen:

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »

Provincetown?
    Weddings.

:mrgreen:

Business wear is not the same all the world. It's shocking, I agree. We need some consistency here.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Provincetown?

There is quite a lot of vest wearing in Provincetown. There's a lot of strange things going on in Provincetown.

aseriesofchasms on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Provincetown?

There is quite a lot of vest wearing in Provincetown. There's a lot of strange things going on in Provincetown.

It's a place for the whole family.
    p168637-Provincetown-PTown_is_full_of_colorful_folk.jpg

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Provincetown?

It's a place for the whole family.
    p168637-Provincetown-PTown_is_full_of_colorful_folk.jpg

It's also proof that revolution can work. Sidewalks? They'll be damned if they let the man confine them to sidewalks.

EDIT: That picture kind of makes me miss the place now. Those glorious freaks.

aseriesofchasms on
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ive been mistaken for a girl a few times by strangers, and once by a cousin of mine (she was like 4), before I started growing facial hair. I had long hair for many years growing up, it also did not help that it looked like I had breasts from being overweight. I could sometimes hear the comments as they walked by about the ambiguity "...was that a girl?"

Something that I thought was strange was walking out of my high school chemistry class while overhearing a couple girls talk about potential guys theyd ask out to some dance that was happening.
    One of the two girls ("Jamie") had been my next door neighbor when we were little kids and moved back to that house around my Junior year, tho we never seemed to talk much after she moved back. The other girl seems to know my name and throws me out as a possibility for Jamie to ask to accompany her to the dance, to which Jamie immediately replies "No, he's already seen me naked."
    o_O
    Which is true, I have years before she moved away, but I found it more to be an odd excuse not to ask someone to a dance.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    InHuman wrote: »
    Dare you to shit infront of the Russians.

In Soviet Russia, you come out of shit.

Re: name stories - when I was a little kid my family went down to LA, and we did Disneyland and Universal Studios. So Universal used to have this ET ride which, anyone who rode it can attest, was totally awesome. Before you get on the ride, they had you get a "boarding pass" or some shit, and it had your name on it. The gimmick was that at the end of the ride, ET would thank everyone on the ride car by name for saving him.

Long of the short of it, ET fucked up my name -- and gender -- and called me Michelle... To a 10 year old, that was some harsh shit right there.

Ahaha, yes. The old ET name-mangling experience. I went on this ride on a hanging-out-or-is-this-a-date-oh-god-please-let-this-be-a-date with this girl during a church group thing (source of oh so many embarrassing tales) when I was about fifteen. Her name was Karyn, mine is Jeremiah. Not terribly difficult or uncommon names. We get to the end of the ride, we were thanked as CAR-een and jer-EE-mee-uh.

Not terribly embarrassing in itself, but the whole situation (and the several similar ones I got myself into over the years; I wasn't the most socially-aware kid) kind of makes me want to hide even today.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    CorakCorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Here's my strange and embarrassing story.

I was browsing the PA forums and I saw this thread. Despite having read previous incarnations of this thread, my first thought on opening it was that it was a discussion on what they found to be an awkward bit of Christian theology. Seriously.

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, you have to admit it was kind of awkward for the disciples. I mean, Matthew totally had dibs on Jesus' stereo.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Corak wrote: »
    Here's my strange and embarrassing story.

I was browsing the PA forums and I saw this thread. Despite having read previous incarnations of this thread, my first thought on opening it was that it was a discussion on what they found to be an awkward bit of Christian theology. Seriously.

So this one time, we totally thought that we had killed the son of God, but then he came back to life!

Man, that was awkward.

Gammarah on
This discussion has been closed.