As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boardgames - The special love between a man and his little wooden tokens

1626364656668»

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ask them to please ship Rogue Trader sooner rather than later.

DarkPrimus on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    etoychest wrote: »
    Looks like I'm going to be sitting down to talk with Fantasy Flight to talk about varous things and/or stuff. Anything on people's minds here?

They are importing a game called Planet Steam. Can you get a pricing structure and whether or not they plan on purchasing the game and producing it themselves for distribution?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can buy Planet Steam right now online... though it is about $120.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for all of these :) Doing the interview later today, and will let you all know how it all shakes out.

etoychest on
    edited September 2009
    Also, ask them if they've ever thought of doing a Diablo board game? I mean, they've already got the other IPs from Blizzard, may as well get the last one. I'm sure with the upcoming release of Diablo III, they could get a pretty big interested sparked in this.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Man, I need to stop reading this right before going to the game store, was just gonna go to get pegasus, but now I'm thinking about Chaos....

Lord Nurgle demands it!

I ended up ordering Pegasus, Chaos, and the Star Craft expansion from coolstuffinc. All three for $100 w/ free shipping ain't bad in my book. Think that's about $160 retail (which is definitely what I'd be paying at my lgs).

krylon666 on
    edited September 2009

Yeah, because the game is imported from Germany. If FFG redid it with new pieces and such, it'll probably cost 70 - 90 dollars. And I can used that saved money on another game. I like this game, but not that much. Plus it'll just be for the collection since I highly doubt I'll get anyone to play it cause of how heavy it is. But it'll be something for conventions.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Couple questions about Mr. Jack.

When you draw alibi cards face down, you are allowed to look at them, correct?

When you shuffle the character deck and reveal 4 and play them, Then next turn reveal 4 more and play them, on the third turn do you re-randomize the stack of characters or will the same 4 played on turn 1 be played on 3,5,7 ?

All and all, I had a pretty fun time. I forced my gf to make a 50/50 guess on the 7th turn. If she had not guessed and instead made my dude Seen, I would have very likely been able to elude her for 1 more turn to win, but who knows?

Orange Soda on
  • iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Couple questions about Mr. Jack.

When you draw alibi cards face down, you are allowed to look at them, correct?

When you shuffle the character deck and reveal 4 and play them, Then next turn reveal 4 more and play them, on the third turn do you re-randomize the stack of characters or will the same 4 played on turn 1 be played on 3,5,7 ?

All and all, I had a pretty fun time. I forced my gf to make a 50/50 guess on the 7th turn. If she had not guessed and instead made my dude Seen, I would have very likely been able to elude her for 1 more turn to win, but who knows?

Yes you can look at them and at the end of every even turn you re-randomize them (see end of turn section about it). It's definitely a fun little game, and it seems to get better with time as you start to use pieces more effectively.

iamtheaznman on
    edited September 2009
    I'm really glad she won the first one, since I told her that "playing jack is supposed to be impossible, so you should have an easy win", then I almost won do to a couple mistakes on her part.

I really like the game, but I hope I don't figure out how to play Jack faster than she is comfortable playing the investigator. I am hoping the next game is a little more one sided, so she doesn't get discouraged.

Orange Soda on
    edited September 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

Yeah, because the game is imported from Germany. If FFG redid it with new pieces and such, it'll probably cost 70 - 90 dollars. And I can used that saved money on another game. I like this game, but not that much. Plus it'll just be for the collection since I highly doubt I'll get anyone to play it cause of how heavy it is. But it'll be something for conventions.

Yeah, I don't think the game is worth that much either. Just making sure you knew it was available. I don't understand the obsession with it, honestly. Space Hulk at 100 is hard enough to justify, much less a "lesser" game.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited September 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

Yeah, I don't think the game is worth that much either. Just making sure you knew it was available. I don't understand the obsession with it, honestly. Space Hulk at 100 is hard enough to justify, much less a "lesser" game.

I played it once and I highly enjoyed it. Then again my board game expertise is very limited at this point since I've just recently got into the hobby. It's not in my top games, but it really is a unique game and executed very well in my opinion.

I may just be a sucker for auction/bidding games. I played Ra once and can't wait to play it again. Same with Vegas Showdown.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    You should find someone with Goa, it is out of print, but not too rare. Kind of feels like Puerto Rico with an auction phase. Really cool game.

Power Grid is very good too, but you can usually tell who will win by the next to last turn. A little too much calculation for some, but it has been a big hit with even my non-gaming family.

Ra and Vegas are great. Vegas was on sale for $7.50 at funagain recently. Stupidly, I forgot to purchase when I first saw it and now they are sold out. :)

Zombie Nirvana on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I wanted to pickup Pegasus this weekend and get the group together for a big game this weekend. But one of the guys is finally watching the show and he's only on season 1. So now that he knows the characters a bit, I can't spoil shit for him. I didn't even want to use the Boomer character when we played, and I always covered up crisis cards that had spoiler pictures.

We'll just play Star Craft instead... but still! If we play a 6 man game of Star Craft are there rules for teams? I can check the rulebook/bgg later - but I can't remember if I saw them. I was just thinking each race would be a team, and if either person on the team reached victory the team won.

krylon666 on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Man, I wanted to pickup Pegasus this weekend and get the group together for a big game this weekend. But one of the guys is finally watching the show and he's only on season 1. So now that he knows the characters a bit, I can't spoil shit for him. I didn't even want to use the Boomer character when we played, and I always covered up crisis cards that had spoiler pictures.

We'll just play Star Craft instead... but still! If we play a 6 man game of Star Craft are there rules for teams? I can check the rulebook/bgg later - but I can't remember if I saw them. I was just thinking each race would be a team, and if either person on the team reached victory the team won.

There's a 2v2v2 variant out there somewhere.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    TI3 tonight...

Pray for me my friends.

LightRider on
    edited September 2009
    LightRider wrote: »
    TI3 tonight...

Pray for me my friends.

do want.

Orange Soda on
  • honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    LightRider wrote: »
    TI3 tonight...

Pray for me my friends.

do want.

Man I hope to be able to play this tomorrow.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So the boardgame store two blocks from my house actually had Agricola and Dominion, fortunately. Unfortunately, together, they ran me 140 dollars.

Also, Agricola is fucking complicated, what the hell. I thought Twilight Imperium was bad.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wait - Agricola is worse?

How is this possible?!

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Agricola is dirt simple.

If it's too much to take in at once, try playing without any of the decks.

Then play with the Minor Improvement deck.

Then play with the Occupation deck.

Then play with both the decks and holy crap you're playing the game.

DarkPrimus on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, for Agricola, the rulebook advises you to play the Family game first (no minor improvements, no occupations). You should listen to the rulebook.

Darian on
    edited September 2009
    hahah I won mr. jack tonight on turn 5. My gf isn't gonna wanna play with me pretty soon here.

Orange Soda on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    First game of Arkham, 5 players.. We won! The doom track only got to 7, we only had 1 monster surge, it never got too horrible...

But I think we played with a couple rules incorrect. For instance, we weren't sure if you had to defeat monsters after you came out of a gate but before you sealed it. Also, we had a couple times when we continued movement after defeating a monster.

It really, REALLY helped that we drew 2 of the 3 elder signs in our initial unique item draws.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited September 2009
    Athenor wrote: »
    But I think we played with a couple rules incorrect. For instance, we weren't sure if you had to defeat monsters after you came out of a gate but before you sealed it. Also, we had a couple times when we continued movement after defeating a monster.

Been a couple months since we last played, but I'm fairly sure you only have to defeat monsters when you try to move out of the location. I think? Of course, I could have been playing it wrong this entire time, too.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited September 2009

Been a couple months since we last played, but I'm fairly sure you only have to defeat monsters when you try to move out of the location. I think? Of course, I could have been playing it wrong this entire time, too.

There is a note under Arkham movement that if you end your turn on a spot with a monster you need to fight it. The problem (and this seems to invariably happen unless you have copyeditors checking for readability) is that this particular note falls not only during a page turn at the critical part of the sentence, but it happens with a giant summary page in-between. So half the rule literally is on one side and half is two pages later. This makes it really easy for the brain to miss it, even if it is referenced elsewhere.

Edit: Shit, I just found another "EZ mode" rule I missed -- we were playing with 5 players, so 2 monsters should've been spawned from each gate!

Athenor on
    edited September 2009
    Edit: Shit, I just found another "EZ mode" rule I missed -- we were playing with 5 players, so 2 monsters should've been spawned from each gate!

DAMMIT

I guess I really need to re-read the rulebook. Again.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Alright, we've been in need of a new thread for awhile. Here's the placeholder while I decide what to do with it:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=11479224#post11479224

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey, I figured this was the place to go to ask a question like this. Have any of you guys every played this game?
    http://www.gamecabinet.com/history/Hnef.html

I first heard about it after reading some Pratchett, and thought i'd give it a look. I know it's vaguely chess-like, but with both sides having different goals (protect-Attack).

Matthew on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited September 2009
    The board games thread has moved to here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=99965

Ramius on
This discussion has been closed.