As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX World Record Attempt - Good To Go!

1235»

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So (just to double check)

We meet up in the Queue Room, and it begins at 8:30pm.

Do we all need to play the same same game, or does it matter?

Any game as long as you're playing something!

cocowoushi on
  • InterjectionInterjection Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have 2 gamer friends coming...neither with a DS I believe. Throughout the convention we will be twitter/DS/PSP probably. So it would be nice if I could line up a kind soul to loan me 2 DSes. If anyone can PM me if they have some they can use that would be awesome. It would suck to have to leave my friends out of a world record attempt.

I feel like so much awesome stuff happens at PAX that the local news instead of doing their usual "gamers gathered today to celebrate gaming..." bit that they will actually have to cover stuff AT PAX. Not just PAX on it's own.

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • nintendoXOnintendoXO Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh man this is AWESOME! Thank you for putting this together.

nintendoXO on
  • HyperneticHypernetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Speaking of DS, any particular games I should bring? Not for the record, just to play multiplayer with people. I have this feeling that the one game I leave at home will be the one everyone is playing, lol.

Hypernetic on
  • Big GuyBig Guy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hypernetic wrote: »
    Speaking of DS, any particular games I should bring? Not for the record, just to play multiplayer with people. I have this feeling that the one game I leave at home will be the one everyone is playing, lol.

Bring 'em all. They're little.

Big Guy on
    Survivor of PAX '06 (BALL!), PAX '07 (Don't be a Dick), PAX '08 (Bad Horse), PAX '09 (H1Nerd1), PAX '10
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Next year would be a good time to try for the knuckle crack world record. I don't know whether Boston's Main Theater will seat as many as the Seattle convention center, but if it does, we can try for it then. We'll make a big deal about it then if that's the case. Otherwise, we'll try for PAX 2010.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • UncleGrampsUncleGramps Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll be there as soon as the Scott Kurtz panel lets out! :D

UncleGramps on
  • HyperneticHypernetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Scoots wrote: »
    hahaha Thanks peoples! I'm glad everyone is excited for this. But I don't want y'all to get in trouble, so we'll have Enforcers let everyone know the British are coming. :D

So, like 2 weeks later I finally got "the British are coming" thing. lol. I'll be there for the record, gonna head back over to the center in a bit.

Hypernetic on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    record's over. we won. beat the old redord by three times the amount

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • MushroomsMushrooms Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    OK... thats nice, but WHATS THE ACTUALY NUMBER?!?!?!

Mushrooms on
    All shalt feel the wrath of the all-mighty POINTY KITTY OF DOOOOOM!!
    purrrrrrrrrrrrr*snuggle*
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The official number ended up being 910

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    The official number ended up being 910

Let's try to beat our old record next year?
    So sad I missed this...

Gotta alocate my time better next year.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • MushroomsMushrooms Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What? That few? I was expecting way way higher *sigh* next year we can do way better that that.

Mushrooms on
    All shalt feel the wrath of the all-mighty POINTY KITTY OF DOOOOOM!!
    purrrrrrrrrrrrr*snuggle*
  • mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I asked an enforcer and he said that it was 916

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It began way too quickly. A lot of people were running late (like me) and were turned away at the door. I think the number would have been much higher with a bit more of a grace period. I was there 8 minutes late and missed out on this opportunity.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Another reason it might've been low...

The Assassin's Creed/Splinter Cell panel started late and went long, like just about every other panel. I'm sure there were plenty of people in that who wanted to be in there. I did, but I figured they'd realize it and roll with the changes. I brought both my DS's and had a group of friends in the panel with all their DS's as well. :|

NEXT YEAR...

Can we please try a bit better of a time? Maybe have it be DS Record & Concert Queue? Or DS Record and Opening Morning Queue? I'm sure if it's a big thing in the program about bringing a DS to the opening line, people will.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited September 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    It began way too quickly. A lot of people were running late (like me) and were turned away at the door. I think the number would have been much higher with a bit more of a grace period. I was there 8 minutes late and missed out on this opportunity.

Yeah same here...
    So sorry I missed this but it doesn't look like you guys needed any help with shattering the old record...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Same here Serenity, I was at the Fangamer Stigmata and me and the other Earthbound fans were going to try and hop in there but it was too late. Not that I regret going to the panel or anything.

Curse-Ten on
  • Professor MurdaProfessor Murda Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    mavrick88 wrote: »
    I asked an enforcer and he said that it was 916

It probably went down a few as they were checking to make sure people actually had a DS as they left. I saw a few people playing PSPs instead. Genius.

Professor Murda on
  • FellinaFellina Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Legacy wrote: »
    Another reason it might've been low...

NEXT YEAR...

Can we please try a bit better of a time? Maybe have it be DS Record & Concert Queue? Or DS Record and Opening Morning Queue? I'm sure if it's a big thing in the program about bringing a DS to the opening line, people will.

Probably can't combine the ques since they have to be sure that it includes -only- people who have a DS.

Fellina on
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, I brought 3 DSes. The guy with tickets gave me 3 tickets. I truly played all 3 during the 10 minute time span (some bad games of Tetris, Super Mario Bros. mini-games, and Personal Trainer: Walking which plays itself if you click "go" every once in a while).

On the way out, the confirmation counters with the clicker counted me only once.

My situation could easily have been a +3 => +1 discrepancy.

DJBreslin on
    edited September 2009
    DJBreslin wrote: »
    Well, I brought 3 DSes. The guy with tickets gave me 3 tickets. I truly played all 3 during the 10 minute time span (some bad games of Tetris, Super Mario Bros. mini-games, and Personal Trainer: Walking which plays itself if you click "go" every once in a while).

On the way out, the confirmation counters with the clicker counted me only once.

Wow that's true talent...
    Do you have a third arm?
    Also, why did you buy 3 DS's...?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • ZionadZionad CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was one of the ones that wanted to be in the record attempt, but also didnt want to miss splinter cell/assassins creed

Zionad on
    I do it all for the pew pew
    edited September 2009
    Serenity wrote: »
    DJBreslin wrote: »

Wow that's true talent...
    Do you have a third arm?
    Also, why did you buy 3 DS's...?

I actually have six. Four DS Lites (me, wife, kid 1, kid 2). Then, when the kids wore theirs out (broken hinges), I got two more DSis for them. I didn't bring the new DSis to PAX though.

Not a third arm. And I'm not going to go for the low hanging fruit joke there either. :winky:

DJBreslin on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i brought two DS'es but only played one (the other was to loan if anyone needed it). trying to get counted more than once that way seems against the rules? I dunno.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2009
    I brought them for others as well. I couldn't find anyone without a DS, so I just played them myself. It was unclear to me if the DSes were counted or the humans were counted or if it was specifically restricted to 1 human paired to 1 DS. I figured, why not?

DJBreslin on
  • ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok. So. First of all, thanks to everyone that could show up and hang around playing your DS for official purposes!!! We didn't quite hit the 1k mark, but we still blew the old record out of the fucking water. We reached our number on pure word of mouth guys. And mostly day of. Think about that for a sec. This is how awesome PAXers are.

FOR NEXT TIME:
    Some media love. Somehow. Even just a little bit. Somehow... (we tried, they didn't care)
    There wasn't much of a way to avoid the Assassin's Creed demo running late/going long. And while it really sucked to have to turn people away, we were on a very short time crunch to get people in and out, counted twice and deal with concert stuff. The idea was thrown around before to make it part of a line for something else, but the counting logistics put that on the back burner.
    It is indeed a 1human to 1DS ratio needed for the official count. So, as cool as it was that some people brought extra, we can't pad it that way lol.
    I will try to prepare something to say rather than babbling on the mic. I promise. >_>

Anywho! bigger better stronger.
    Thanks again!!! <3

Scoots on
This discussion has been closed.