As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STAR WARS GALAXIES

oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
For anyone whos played that; I was going to try the trial a little later on tonight and I was wondering which class I should go into.

I'd like to be good at ranged combat, maybe explosives, or sniper, but I also don't want to miss out on the crafting system as I tend to like doing that in an MMO.

Thanks for your help.

~Oak~

PS Wheres the PA thread for this game? What server should I go into for active player pop?

orbit.gif
oaklore on

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    oaklore wrote: »
    For anyone whos played that; I was going to try the trial a little later on tonight and I was wondering which class I should go into.

I'd like to be good at ranged combat, maybe explosives, or sniper, but I also don't want to miss out on the crafting system as I tend to like doing that in an MMO.

Thanks for your help.

~Oak~

PS Wheres the PA thread for this game? What server should I go into for active player pop?

There is no PA thread for this game because everyone abandoned it after the sweeping system changes they did shortly after the second expansion pack.

Worst game design decisions EVER!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Remember the first Jedi? Didn't the want to sue after they allowed Jedi as a base class?

Morvidus on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I played Star Wars Galaxies for years

It sucked then and it sucks now, but it sucked a lot less then

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The game had bunch of things that I find really interesting. The gameplay was completely open ended and entirely player driven. It was a giant sandbox. It lacked the leveling system of every other MMO game out there, besides EVE (I think). Doctors and entertainers were just as important as combat classes. Players could create their own housing and build their own cities. Heck, you could even explore entire planets.*

*Okay, so the planets covered an area of 12 KM by 12 KM, but still! They were whole planets!

It had a great deal going for it. I wonder how the game itself is today.

Melkster on
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Melkster wrote: »
    The game had bunch of things that I find really interesting. The gameplay was completely open ended and entirely player driven. It was a giant sandbox. It lacked the leveling system of every other MMO game out there, besides EVE (I think). Doctors and entertainers were just as important as combat classes. Players could create their own housing and build their own cities. Heck, you could even explore entire planets.*

*Okay, so the planets covered an area of 12 KM by 12 KM, but still! They were whole planets!

Ah I remember the patch that introduced player cities. Everyone was planning on where to place theirs. They were not instanced, they actually took up game space. Some of the guys in my guild logged out in the area they wanted, servers came up, and it was built. If you didn't build anything in the first couple of hours, you were screwed.

Also Combat Medic draining mind. AOE too. God that was awesome.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I played SWG at launch. If anything, that game seemed to foster a sense of community more than any other I've played since. I was on Corellia, Coronet City(or something like that) and after awhile you actually knew everyone who hung around there.

When they first added player housing a bunch of us from Coronet City moved to the far north and set up a hunting community on the edge of this crystal swamp place. It was great. About a dozen or so of us would be relaxing, chatting, or going into the swamp to kill. It was entertaining. Then they added mining/industry. The next day we log in and from pretty much the edge of our hunting camp all the way west towards the city was nothing but soulless industry.

Well we were dissapointed and we all ended up packing up shop and moving on. About four of us set up roots along a river in the far northern portion of Corellia. It wasn't long before we were joined by more people, then more people, and even more people. Before we knew it we had become the defacto leaders of a thriving "community" (in a time before actual player cities). We had artisans, clubs, weapons shops, clothing stores, illegal weapons modifiers. Hell I even ran a surprisingly successful pawn shop.

As it turned out, for whatever reason, on my server Corellia was a backwater world compared to Tatooine or Naboo. By this I mean, Naboo players/crafters seemed to always be coming out with new and better things compared to any crafter on Corellia. If I wanted new threads I would go to Naboo. New weapons? Naboo. Armor? Naboo. Housing? Naboo. In fact I made a tidy profit "importing" various Naboo clothing/weapons/armor and selling it at my pawn shop.

SWG certainly wasn't a great game maybe not even good, but I would be lying if I said I didn't have a fair amount of fun while playing it. At least until they added Jedi :(.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    I played SWG at launch. If anything, that game seemed to foster a sense of community more than any other I've played since. I was on Corellia, Coronet City(or something like that) and after awhile you actually knew everyone who hung around there.

When they first added player housing a bunch of us from Coronet City moved to the far north and set up a hunting community on the edge of this crystal swamp place. It was great. About a dozen or so of us would be relaxing, chatting, or going into the swamp to kill. It was entertaining. Then they added mining/industry. The next day we log in and from pretty much the edge of our hunting camp all the way west towards the city was nothing but soulless industry.

Well we were dissapointed and we all ended up packing up shop and moving on. About four of us set up roots along a river in the far northern portion of Corellia. It wasn't long before we were joined by more people, then more people, and even more people. Before we knew it we had become the defacto leaders of a thriving "community" (in a time before actual player cities). We had artisans, clubs, weapons shops, clothing stores, illegal weapons modifiers. Hell I even ran a surprisingly successful pawn shop.

As it turned out, for whatever reason, on my server Corellia was a backwater world compared to Tatooine or Naboo. By this I mean, Naboo players/crafters seemed to always be coming out with new and better things compared to any crafter on Corellia. If I wanted new threads I would go to Naboo. New weapons? Naboo. Armor? Naboo. Housing? Naboo. In fact I made a tidy profit "importing" various Naboo clothing/weapons/armor and selling it at my pawn shop.

SWG certainly wasn't a great game maybe not even good, but I would be lying if I said I didn't have a fair amount of fun while playing it. At least until they added Jedi :(.

Now see, that sounds awesome.

I wish an MMO would so something like this, but...better. And more fun. Ya know?

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Honestly I think the only reason I was able to have those "adventures" is because the game was really half finished at launch. SOE was constantly updating the game and adding in new stuff. For a couple of weeks crafters actually didn't have anything to build other than a few low tier pieces of equipment.

Like I mention before, Corellia was a backwater world. I remember one of my trips to Naboo after they added new weapons to the game. I walked into a weapon shop and my face did this "D:". I could not believe all the fancy ass weapons this dude had. I of course bought up all I could and brought them back to Corellia where I made a mint.

Hell, I even lined up bulk orders from various armor/weapon crafters.

It's kind funny, IMO, SWG was actually a better experience at release than months down the line when they had finally added most all of the content. It defies logic I know.

Axen on
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One of the things I remember the most was when I first started. I read an advertisement from a guy buying kryat scales so I farmed up enough of them to sell to him and with what he payed me I bought my first set of armor from him.

The store he had had different sets of armor on display with different color schemes and properties. So I walked around for a bit and inspected them then chose the one I liked the look of best and set out with my new shiny power armor.

I kept that armor for a long time until it was practically falling apart from durability damage and eventually put it on display in my home. At that point I was probably buying crates of armor since I'd go through them so fast and had a ton of credits from soloing stuff.

SWG had one of the best sandbox feel between player cities, non combat classes and crafting but unfortunately combat was never balanced. Oh well.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My brother decided to try it out again last month, after stopping playing around the wookiee expansion.

I was surprised to find out that it was not terrible.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hah, yeah. That reminds me. While there was an "auction house" type system in place, many people simply had a shop set up in their home. Instead of looking at a complete list of everything being sold on the planet, buying what you wanted, and then checking your mail box you actually had to go shopping. Going from store to store, looking at the "window displays", haggling with the shop keep, and comparing prices was all part of the experience. Then when you found a store/crafter (which weren't always the same person) that you liked you would often return to them for your needs.

Many players made a name for themselves as the person to go to for X item.

Man, if I could hop on a "classic" SWG server I probably would right now. Just for old times sake. Wish someone would redo this idea. . . only better.

Axen on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    And then there was Stale over in SE++ who cornered the market on some items on three servers, so when he stopped playing the market crashed.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well im gonna try it right now. I can get back to you and share whatever newbie adventures I have if that would please anyone.

I'll start as a combat class I guess.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Knock yourself out.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, the old school leveling boxes were awesome. I loved being able to mix and match classes. Too bad only a handful of classes were good. And too bad being good didn't really matter since there was nothing to do.

Pretty sad when the "end game" was taking creature missions and farming packs of rancors for shitloads of cash.

The sandbox was a cool idea.

The problem was... they didn't provide the player with things to do inside of the sandbox. It was an open world with both endless possibilities and no possibilities at the same time. It was a paradox.

Lots of potential, horrible execution.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All these posts are making me sad because they are reminding me of how awesome this game was at the beginning.

I most fondly remember trying to train up my "Scout" skills and just setting up camp after camp in the middle of the wilderness so people could stop by and heal up. Met some cool people and had some awesome conversations. Eventually some dancers stopped by and we had an awesome little mini cantina in the middle of the naboo wilderness.

Great game till they started "fixing" it.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My brother decided to try it out again last month, after stopping playing around the wookiee expansion.

I was surprised to find out that it was not terrible.

Yeah, it is not the same game it used to be, so a lot of the hate it gets is because of that, not because it is actually a bad game.

It does still rely a good bit on an active community, though, and lacks a bit in terms of content. And once you finish the legacy quest stuff, it just kinda leaves you hanging, so you have to either get advice from other players or check websites and wikis to found out where to find content from then on. Oh, and both the wookie planet and Mustafar are horrible places, for completely different reasons.

So yeah, it definitely had its flaws, but its not horrible or anything.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It was always interesting going into someone's house out in the middle of nowhere on Tatooine or Corellia and seeing how they had decorated it and what they had and if they sold anything and all that

It was also pretty cool actually having your own home, especially some of the higher tier ones

Damn, as bad as the game was I have some fond memories
    The coolest house you could have was when they launched the space expansion and gave all the veteran players a yacht

It was actually pretty impressive, being able to wander around your big ass ship and place furniture and decorate it however you wanted, all the while looking out the windows and seeing space and planets and ships flying to and fro

Yacht.jpg

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    the yacht was just about the coolest thing ever in any mmo ever

especially when the pilot got himself and everyone inside blown up

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It is staggering how much better the space stuff looks in comparison to that awful ground engine they were using

It looked bad, didn't animate well, and was poorly optimized

Christ I could just ramble on forever about how awful Star Wars Galaxies was and yet I lost so many hours to it

Oh, to be young again

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I got into this later than some here, after the new combat system was added.

I fell in with a roleplaying pvp guild well really two guilds, one rebel the other imperial. The leaders would check out who was online and try to arrange some scenario.

But the best part was recruiting. We'd pick out some low level character and try to get them to "help" us transfer some item or what have you. Members of the other guild would show up and people would fight it out. The newb would be either led back to our base or to on of those objects that caused a fake spaceship to land.

It was hilarious to be working it all out on vent, meanwhile watching the mark to see how they would react.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RP in SWG is impossible now.

THERE ARE 10 JEDI WITH LIGHTSABERS AND AT-STS STANDING IN FRONT OF A STORM TROOPER DETACHMENT IN THEED, THE IMPERIAL CAPITOL OF NABOO

They started out with a neat idea, and instead of expanding on it, and adding more content and tools for players to build up the sandbox, they just kept focusing on rebalancing Jedi. Smugglers were told that a smuggler revamp giving them actual smuggling abilities would come out "Soon" when the game launched. In 2004

They still cant, last I checked.

Then theyre all, "Oh shit, Creature Handlers, and Pikeman are star warsy enough" So they deleted them, and added in Jedi as a class you can roll from start.

Jedi in the Original trilogy: Luke, Palpatine, Vader, Obi-wan, Yoda
    Pikemen in the OT: Several of the following: The Sandtroopers, The Royal Guards, The Gammorean Guards, Jabbas Skiff Troopers. Tusken Raiders ( could be considered fencers, I guess)
    Creature Handlers: Tusken Raiders, Sandtroopers, Rancor Tamer in Jabbas palace, Jawas.

But yeah, rollable Jedi, way more "canon"

CangoFett on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They probably just wanted people to actually play their game.

Your average Star Wars fan isn't go to want to spend much time with a game that doesn't allow him to relive their Jedi fantasies from the movie.

I heard that the original business model for SWG was basically, "pay us monthly and then grind levels on this class that you don't really like, so you can eventually unlock the character you wanted to play as in the first place".

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Melkster wrote: »

Ah I remember the patch that introduced player cities. Everyone was planning on where to place theirs. They were not instanced, they actually took up game space. Some of the guys in my guild logged out in the area they wanted, servers came up, and it was built. If you didn't build anything in the first couple of hours, you were screwed.

Also Combat Medic draining mind. AOE too. God that was awesome.

Toot toot! Fellow Combat Medic! I don't think AOE mind diseases were ever put into the game though, just poisons because it would of been mega OP'd. Combat Medic/Bounty Hunter/Pistoleer eye shot spaaaaaaaaaaaam.

God I miss the old SWG. Spinning jump kick spamming Jawa's with a full set of Storm Trooper armour on was my dream come true.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    God I miss the old SWG. Spinning jump kick spamming Jawa's with a full set of Storm Trooper armour on was my dream come true.

Now see THAT sounds awesome.

Actually this whole thread makes the game seem really cool, at least before whatever changes a certain person doesn't like. Kind of wish I had gotten a chance to check it out in its heyday

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That was pretty much it...

Buffing up for a 3.5 hour duration, then going on "solo mission groups" to spawn a big hurrton nest and go afk for that 3 hours as a macro goes through your attack rotation on a never ending spawn for xp gaining...

Dont worry, in a week you'll finaly have that "elite" class.

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fatgoat87 wrote: »
    That was pretty much it...

Buffing up for a 3.5 hour duration, then going on "solo mission groups" to spawn a big hurrton nest and go afk for that 3 hours as a macro goes through your attack rotation on a never ending spawn for xp gaining...

Dont worry, in a week you'll finaly have that "elite" class.

It didn't take me long to become a Teras Kasi Master actually. A few groups on Tatooine killing CuPa's and Kryat raids before 99% comp armour and I was there with my super spinning jump kick of doom.

Then after that of course came the super buffs from docs, then a mind hit at the cantina with a side of blue milk and it was off to kill that creature from Attack of the Clones that Obi Wan put the beat down on in the arena.

I was never able to solo the Super Driods on Endor I think it was. Damn they put a hurtin on me.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    RP in SWG is impossible now.

THERE ARE 10 JEDI WITH LIGHTSABERS AND AT-STS STANDING IN FRONT OF A STORM TROOPER DETACHMENT IN THEED, THE IMPERIAL CAPITOL OF NABOO

They started out with a neat idea, and instead of expanding on it, and adding more content and tools for players to build up the sandbox, they just kept focusing on rebalancing Jedi. Smugglers were told that a smuggler revamp giving them actual smuggling abilities would come out "Soon" when the game launched. In 2004

They still cant, last I checked.

Then theyre all, "Oh shit, Creature Handlers, and Pikeman are star warsy enough" So they deleted them, and added in Jedi as a class you can roll from start.

Jedi in the Original trilogy: Luke, Palpatine, Vader, Obi-wan, Yoda
    Pikemen in the OT: Several of the following: The Sandtroopers, The Royal Guards, The Gammorean Guards, Jabbas Skiff Troopers. Tusken Raiders ( could be considered fencers, I guess)
    Creature Handlers: Tusken Raiders, Sandtroopers, Rancor Tamer in Jabbas palace, Jawas.

But yeah, rollable Jedi, way more "canon"
    Smugglers got smuggling missions and abilities like two years ago.

And creature handling is a set of skills everyone can get instead of a class in itself.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ahhhh, my days of gIMPs. Loved being a combat medic. Was the most broken pvp spec ever invented. Yes I don't mind killing you in two throws from a distance you can't even shoot me at. Thank you soloing krayts.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So Ive been playing a little bit of the trial and the thing that springs to mind alot is What the fuck am I doing?

I started with a basic combat class, the Officer, and its OK. I like the combat actually. Hold down the mouse button to fire, use special shots for more damage. Its fun and all I can think of is a big epic PVP battle between rebels and empire would be pretty awesome. So, I signed up for the empire. Walked out the door and got mowed down by someone walking by. A rebel I guess. OK, so PVP is, pretty much, a non-option until higher levels. That's unepic.

So I resign, then go off to get some exp. I find a mission terminal and gives me the most vaguet MMO version of a mission objective ever. It gives me an animal type to kill. Doesn't say where it is, how many I should be killing, it doesn't give me a counter of how many are left to kill, nothing. You only get some kind of direction like that on certain quests, but not many, and those quests arent the ones that are easy to find.

I'm out circling Mos Eisley looking for a big bug of some kind. I find some and kill them. But, theres no tracker of any sort to say that what I was killing is going toward this quest. So.... I circle some more.... and find and kill a few more.... so I get circling more. Let me mention here that if I go too far away from the city that the things are unkillable to my level. So, although I can get out there and look around the desert, because I had a speeder given to me, it doesn't do me any good because everything is too hard anyways, so its a waste of time to go anywhere else besides right around the city. Remember too, that this is a fucking desert, so exploration isn't exactly exciting. Right after I come to this realization, having no idea how far I am in doing this quest, and having no reason from a character perspective in killing some bugs, I wonder what the fuck I am even doing. I wanna be an officer in the empire and I wanna shoot rebels.

I decide that instead of quests I'll just go find some tusken raiders or something and shoot em up. Thats fun. It is. Its probably the best part of the game so far. But once I find a spot full of guys I can shoot and kill pretty easily..... uhh.... Lemme describe it this way: You're by yourself in the desert. In some sort of valley theres a tent and its populated by 20 or so guys all walking around. Most of them are far enough apart that they won't even link when you shoot one. And your shooting them one after another, they fall, you loot em, you walk a little closer to the tent, and kill another, loot, walk, shoot. The respawn rate is so fast and you kill so fast that its endless, seriously. I could do it nonstop, but what the fuck am I doing?

Killing nobodies in the middle of the desert. YAY. Pew pew. Star Wars weeeeeee. Wtf? Its so weird. Do I have to do this for 90 levels before it becomes cool like I want it to? I'm using the same gun I've had since I got to this rock. I checked ther auction, bazaar, and the only gun upgrade I even saw was lvl 18 or something. I wasn't even halfway there....

Maybe I should make a crafter class so I can equip my fighting class better. Yeah.

The crafter and the dancer, next....

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Actually, there's a big quest line called the Legacy Quest that was put into the game in order to combat the 'I'm killing random punks in the middle of nowhere' feeling. I'm surprised the game didn't lead you into it once you got out of the starting area (Tansarii Point Station). The Legacy Quest basically feeds you a string of missions that have a bit of a plot to them, and the rewards from the quests generally provide you with enough equipment to meet your basic needs.

Mind you, it's still fairly bare bones, and the combat is fairly simplistic, but it should definitely be better than fighting random things out in the desert.

Also, there are a bunch of different types of mission terminals. Sounds like you first found an Exploring Mission Terminal, and yeah, the hunting missions from those tend to be a bit unspecific. If you hit up a standard Mission Terminal, you can get Destroy Missions, which give you a specific place where you will find a nest of nasty creatures or a "lair" (a flag or small structure) with people around it, and it'll be your goal to wipe them out and destroy the nest/"lair" (the latter involves attacking the thing for a minute or two straight, since they tend to have a fair number of hit points).

But yeah, I don't know why the game didn't point you towards the legacy stuff. Did you start out getting rescued from Imperials and doing some stuff on a space station?

Dizzen on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Actually, there's a big quest line called the Legacy Quest that was put into the game in order to combat the 'I'm killing random punks in the middle of nowhere' feeling. I'm surprised the game didn't lead you into it once you got out of the starting area (Tansarii Point Station). The Legacy Quest basically feeds you a string of missions that have a bit of a plot to them, and the rewards from the quests generally provide you with enough equipment to meet your basic needs.

Mind you, it's still fairly bare bones, and the combat is fairly simplistic, but it should definitely be better than fighting random things out in the desert.

Also, there are a bunch of different types of mission terminals. Sounds like you first found an Exploring Mission Terminal, and yeah, the hunting missions from those tend to be a bit unspecific. If you hit up a standard Mission Terminal, you can get Destroy Missions, which give you a specific place where you will find a nest of nasty creatures or a "lair" (a flag or small structure) with people around it, and it'll be your goal to wipe them out and destroy the nest/"lair" (the latter involves attacking the thing for a minute or two straight, since they tend to have a fair number of hit points).

But yeah, I don't know why the game didn't point you towards the legacy stuff. Did you start out getting rescued from Imperials and doing some stuff on a space station?
    Which really is the problem with new swg.. Instead of it being cool and putting you into the star wars universe believably you immediately start out flying with HAN SOLO but you better watch outcause DARTH VADER is after you! Better go fight BOBA FETT so you can go meet LUKE SKYWALKER while CHEWBACCA gives you head.

It's all just so artifical and retarded where as old swg made it actually feel like star wars.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i liked being an insignificant artisan who also happend to be a master pikeman so when people dueled me i could throw on my composite armor and rape them with my vibro axe :(

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, the old one actually had you starting off with the credits in your pocket because the Empire trashed the transport you were on basically because they felt like it. They were nice enough not to bill you for the transport down to the planet though.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Which really is the problem with new swg.. Instead of it being cool and putting you into the star wars universe believably you immediately start out flying with HAN SOLO but you better watch outcause DARTH VADER is after you! Better go fight BOBA FETT so you can go meet LUKE SKYWALKER while CHEWBACCA gives you head.

It's all just so artifical and retarded where as old swg made it actually feel like star wars.

The problem with the On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness game is that, instead of it being cool and putting you into the Penny Arcade universe believably you immediately start out hooking up with Tycho and Gabe but you better watch out because Fruit Fuckers are wrecking your home! Better go fight mimes so you can go meet Anne-Claire while T. Kemper grooms himself.

It's all just so artifical and retarded.

Edit: Seriously, I am not disputing that the new SWG is somehow overall identifiably worse than the old SWG. Because I don't care. Even if it is, that doesn't make the new SWG horrible and retarded, it just means that it's a fairly different game.

And I cannot fathom a reason why you would post such fulmination after quoting a post which served the sole purpose of pointing out content that a new player seemed to be missing. Is trying to help someone enjoy their time with the new SWG really a bad thing?

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Straw-man; RSPoD was satirical.

(Among a vast amount of other differences)

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

The problem with the On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness game is that, instead of it being cool and putting you into the Penny Arcade universe believably you immediately start out hooking up with Tycho and Gabe but you better watch out because Fruit Fuckers are wrecking your home! Better go fight mimes so you can go meet Anne-Claire while T. Kemper grooms himself.

It's all just so artifical and retarded.

Interesting conceit, but it doesn't work.

In any event, somewhat frustrated by the inability to get CO working through Steam and missing SWG and UO a bit lately, I downloaded the SWG trial this evening and plan to give it a spin tomorrow. I actually had a character that was basically a GM armorsmith way back when, but based on the changes and extra levels and whatnot it doesn't bother me too much that I can't seem to recall the account name I used then :P

And I agree with the folks lamenting the story line that throws you in with the big guns of Star Wars immediately. Then again, I'm a big fan of sandbox MMOs, particularly of the old UO/original SWG type that Raph Koster designed. I'm very fond of a lot of his design decisions, particularly when it comes to crafting, vendors, and player housing, and the openness of his worlds, and that's made it hard for me to stick with any of the more typical MUD-based MMOs for any extended period of time. Changing SWG to remove some of that uniqueness as they did so frequently over the years is unfortunate.

Ketar on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Theres a difference.

In old SWG, you started out as a scrub. Period. You want to work for Boba Fett? Who the hell do you think you are? You can work for Sqlurm the Gran, who guards the door. After you do the whole themepark you eventually do some busy work for Fett man while hes tied up with other stuff.

You had a sense of purpose, but it you worked your way thru organizations. Starting out doing the grunt work before eventually doing assassinations for Darth Vader. Then raiding Corellian Corvettes, and fighting the Death Watch splinter group of Mandalorians.

And you made a name for yourself on the server.

I can still remember the top pistoleers, fencers, Pikemen, weaponsmiths, and merchants on Naritus. If someone had Mandalorian armor or a jetpack, it was like having Epics in WoW, but 10x more badass.

Jedi were originally things of myth, like they should be. If a Jedi pulled out his saber, anyone could attack him. A Jedi who just started out would likely get wtfpwned, but a Jedi Knight would make anyone who attacked him very sorry. When our first Jedi hit Naritus, people didnt believe it. I remember being in a battle at Coronet, the Imperials were pushing back the Rebels, about to win, when a Jedi comes out of nowhere on a speeder, kills about 6 Imperials, and is out of town before the people in the cantina get there. Most people didnt actually believe a Jedi was even there.

Now? You walk into Theed and theres 10 guys in Mandalorian armor dueling 10 Jedi in front of the Storm Troopers.

They nerfed the crafting, which was amazing. It made good crafters good. Not all weaponsmiths were equal, and most people had their personal favorite theyd go to, and noone else.

They nerfed the class system, which was the best thing ever. Being able to be any class combo. There were guys who became amazing pistoleers by dabbling in Bounty Hunting, and Smuggling, in addition to Master Pistoleer. There were guys who were amazing tanks because they put all their points into defense skills.

Some armorsmiths took combat skills to defend themselves when checking their harvesters. Some took weaponsmith so they could make all sorts of things. Some Rangers were creature handlers, and had their pets fight for them on their long trips. Some were Riflemen so they could slowly nuke creatures from cover one at a time. Some were Teras Kasi Artists so that they'd never be weaponless.

I was a master bounty hunter/rifleman. I specialized in attacking Jedi from super far away. When I needed a good weapon for Jedi hunting, I went to Dy-nod, and noone else. My droid I didnt care about, so I hit up the South Coronet Mall, run by a guy named Thompson. It leased out vendor spots to the crafters willing to pay the credits. Some guys hunted Jedi by going toe to toe with them. I found their hunting grounds and snuck outside their house at the edge of combat range. When they came back I'd start my fight, hopefully taking them down before they realized what was going on. One guy made it all the way to his door once, in an attempt to get away. He wouldve made it inside, had the droid I set up there not exploded on him.

See, what made SWG great, was that class customization. Because most bounty hunters who were Master BH/Weapons class, spent there last 33 skill points in Medic.

I spent mine in Dancer.

So when that Jedi started spamming the hate to me, I posted a screenshot on the forums. Of his corpse, with me break dancing on it. In hotpants.

Man, I miss that game.

Its so watered down now. The crafting is neutered, the classes are much thinner, and the continuity has gone so far out the window that it may reach orbit.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't see how it is in any way conceited or a strawman argument to try and point out, that main characters from an intellectual property being in a game using that IP is nothing new. I saw in randombattle's post a common tirade that seems to suggest that it is empirically a bad thing, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Kinda makes me wonder how you guys feel about world of warcraft. Especially its caverns of time instances. Or Lord of the Rings Online, where Gandalf gives you a quest to go talk with Frodo for a bit, or you talk to Boromir to perhaps learn a thing or two from him. And yes, seeing jedi walking around Mos Eisley breaks immersion. So did seeing people walking around with their pet Rancors. Canon isn't the issue.

Sheesh, it's not like I'm a fan of Han Solo hooking me up with my first speeder or chatting up Boba Fett for quests. It's heavy handed at best. I was just responding to having an annoying spiel directed towards a post of me trying to point a guy towards content I thought he'd like.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.swgemu.com/

Give it time, gents. Give it time.

Mustachio Jones on
This discussion has been closed.