As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flightstick for consoles

SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Just a few questions about Hori's AC6 HOTAS flightstick. How responsive and reliable is it? Is it worth $100? Is it PC compatible? Also, can I switch to the 'stick mid-game? Like, if I'm using a standard 360 controller to shoot someone before getting into an aircraft, is there a way to seamlessly switch from one twin-stick setup to the other?
AceEdge307_embed.jpg

Most importantly, how does the competition on consoles fare?

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

SkyEye on

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For what I remember in the AC thread in G&T, the stick, while fun, actually makes the game harder. It's more of a novelty then a preferred control scheme and you're at a disadvantage in multiplayer using it (something about not being able to turn as sharply with it, which carries over into SP as well).

However it is USB and there are fan-drivers for it so it is PC compatible. And if you plan on sticking with just the single player of AC6 (and to be honest, about 2 months ago there was hardly a single soul online) then it should be fun.

Not sure about hotswaping mid-game.

As for competition, I think there's ONE maybe two other flight sticks out there. One is a single base unit (throttle is part of the base instead of separate) and it's... meh.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    41DjVSdOFwL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This one? It's by Saitek and it's compatible with 360 and PC. But it looks like some buttons are on the opposite side of the throttle, and I can't really think of a comfortable way to play it unless there's a way to rotate the joystick 90 degrees. Hopefully there's no dead zone like on the Hori stick.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Saitek stick that came with the Ace Combat bundles (for PS2 and 360, no less), while fun, really does put you at a disadvantage in multiplayer. Think about how far you need to move the thumb stick on a control pad to roll 90 degrees left. Now think about how far you'd need to move the joystick.

That being said, for the single player campaign I loved having the stick. Not sure it's worth $100 to someone who isn't going to use it for PC games too though.

I have 2 HOTAS sticks and another "just a joystick". I'm mildly addicted to flying.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thrustmaster makes a very awesome HOTAS for the PC/PS3.

Unfortunately, it does not work with the Xbox 360.

So if you're only looking for the Xbox 360, the Thrustmaster Hotas probably won't help.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Thrustmaster makes a very awesome HOTAS for the PC/PS3.

Unfortunately, it does not work with the Xbox 360.

So if you're only looking for the Xbox 360, the Thrustmaster Hotas probably won't help.

Oh, fuck yes. Didn't even think of that. This definitely sounds like the best option for me; this actually may have gotten me to buy a PS3 instead of a 360. It's too bad that Microsoft can't release 360 drivers for Saitek's X-52 Flight Control System, but meh.

SkyEye on