As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GET IN LINE GAME APPRECIATION THREAD!

thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
I personally enjoyed the Get in line games greatly (and not just because I was dressed as the swedish chef :winky: )

As they said the on sunday morning, for those of you there, they need our support as PAX-goers to bring them back next yer (hopefully with a second screen). That is the point of this thread, try to raise some support to bring them back for next year.

Also, WHO IS JULIE?

thespiffyneostar on

• datadamagedatadamage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Julie is merely a figment of your imagination.

datadamage on
  • Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I also enjoyed it, I bought a new game just for line waiting and barely got into it all PAX... Dunno if that's a good thing or not... >.>

I had issues seeing the screen from the far corners. My eyesight is also starting to fail me, so that may be part of it DX

More varity would be nice. When they repeated the word boggle scramble game, I ended up just copy pasta-ing my message from the morning.

Overall, I was surprised and enjoyed them very much, and not just because I got a pax08 DVD set from them :D

There is never to much Leek spin!

Blackfox138 on
  • geeeeoffffgeeeeoffff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    they were pretty great even though i didn't end up winning anything. Could have used less leekspin though.

geeeeoffff on
    GD on paforums
  • ShaggyShanShaggyShan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I didn't even touch my DS while in line this year. Awesome stuff, but yeah, needed a second screen.

ShaggyShan on
  • SirCuddlezSirCuddlez Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not sure what the plan is for PAX east but I would love to see them there. It made waiting in lines so much less of a pain. Only complaint (as mentioned before) was that it would've been great to have two screens. Edges of the queue room made it difficult to see the screen.

SirCuddlez on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah. More screens, variety and everything will be good. Great attention keepers.

Also...PLEASE get a variety of trailers for this and the main theater. With all the awesome games in the other rooms(some with new trailers as well), why only six weird little games? Nobody else want to?

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I enjoyed the games though they were a little repetitive. More (and bigger) screens, more variety in the script, games and ads (game trailers) would be great. I'd love to see them back at the next PAX.

ravemonger on
  • Gamedeals.caGamedeals.ca Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That line game was good, but it would have been awesome if we (at the far end of the room) could actually see it (which means more & bigger screens). Also, I'm curious as to the technology behind the game as well as the financial concept of it. Very curious.

Gamedeals.ca on
    GameDeals Video Games
    407 Columbia St. New Westminster (GVA)
    Just off Columbia Skytrain Station.
    http://www.gamedeals.ca
  • hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    datadamage wrote: »
    Julie is merely a figment of your imagination.

ahhh julie she will be missed...

R.I.P. ????-2009

hyrulehero96 on
    Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie
  • Royale Wih CheeseRoyale Wih Cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Really enjoyed the Get In Line Games . . . much fun for the early lineup goers!

A few things to improve on though . . . the guys at the very front under the screen, by default, are going to be there the longest, and it was difficult for us to see the screen at a sharp angle unless you happened to be in the center right next to the fire lane. Putting the screen in the corner (or multiple screens) might help with participation; don't know if there's a permanent setup option for that but a temporary screen is definitely doable. Also something to think about is the fact that people willing to wait 2-3 hours in a line prior to opening are probably going to be doing it multiple days, so more variety would be a good thing :-)

The fit and finish of the games and video quality were very well done, props to the designer! And I, for one, welcome our leekspin overlords (I was one of the guys yelling "YEAH! DO IT, GO, YOU SPIN THAT LEEK GIRL!") And the green text typing was the PERFECT choice for crowd interaction!

Overall, good concept and execution! :-) And props to the Swedish Chef, as well . . . great costuming!

Royale Wih Cheese on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love the concept of it, and it pulls it off in real time pretty damn well from what I saw.

Only major complaint/critique I have of it was the lack of variety in the trailers and vids during the Internet Remote sections.

Unfortunately for every "awesome-no-matter-how-many-times-you-watch-it" vids like Powerthirst that were consistantly picked we got 3 "OMG-this-shit-was-annoying-when-the-meme-was-made" like Leekspin, It's Over 9000, and All Your Base.

In all my queueing this weekend I kept track, I saw IO9000 4 times, All Your Base 3 times, and Leekspin an astonishing 7 fucking times! By the time Leekspin came up during the line for the final Omegathon round I was fully ready and capable of choking a bitch that voted for it.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I dug it. Interesting way to keep the crowd entertained. Mad props to the man on the keyboard.

Houn on
  • MarxMarx Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The line games were very cool. It almost makes me want to line up even earlier. Almost. :D

Marx on
    Space for rent.
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey, I liked All your Base, been a long time since I've seen it, and I like the music. Of course, I was only in line on the first day before PAX, so only saw it once. Maybe they just need enough material for different things at different lines.

I forty-second the idea of more screens for it - the thing was great until the line got compressed, forcing me into a corner.

Dreamwriter on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The line thing was nice, definitely made waiting in line a lot more bearable but yeah, more screens would be nice, the screen wasn't very visible from the sides of the room.

Hypatia on
  • bananacavebananacave Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    This was awesome. It's a great idea to give a room full of thousands of people something fun to do!

bananacave on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    The beeping was fucking annoying. I didn't mind the content, but the beeping was not necessary.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Get in Line TerminalGet in Line Terminal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm glad that you guys enjoyed the games, we hope to be back for more PAX!

Get in Line Terminal on
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I won a poster, and another of my group won PA Book #4.

Good times had by all. Snagged major tix on the word games :) Boggle FTW

Edit: Telling people not to pick the leek spin again is what made people do it. I definitly wasn't gonna listen to some beeping screen telling me not to do something. ;)

Oh! And blue screens happen when you try to run windows on a MAC. Yeah... We could see your little apple logo through your shroud of mystery Mr. Wizard.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Really enjoyed it! I'm kind of short, with respect to the average pax attendee, so I couldn't ever see the stage when they had humiliating challenges for bracelets, but fun nonetheless. Just like someone above said, I don't think I ever had to break out my DS in lines at all!

trickycoolj on
  • refragrefrag Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This was a triumph! I'm making a note here... you know the rest.

Huge applause to Get in Line Games. I only did the line-up thing once (Friday morning) but greatly appreciated the entertainment that made the 2 hours fly by.

I only wish I had an SMS roaming package so I could have participated in the fun.

refrag on
  • xibalbaxibalba Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I enjoyed it overall a very nice way to keep the atmosphere hyped and the energy flowing hope Get in Line will be back!

xibalba on
    edited September 2009
    Oh! And blue screens happen when you try to run windows on a MAC. Yeah... We could see your little apple logo through your shroud of mystery Mr. Wizard.

Oh noes, my secrets! :)

Seriously though, we really appreciate the support and are glad that you guys enjoyed the experience. Beating out the DS = achievements!

Get in Line Terminal on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    refrag wrote: »
    I only wish I had an SMS roaming package so I could have participated in the fun.

I don't think Canadian texts were going through/counting anyway. I know I didn't get any texts back telling me when I had gotten something right, etc.

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    refrag wrote: »

I don't think Canadian texts were going through/counting anyway. I know I didn't get any texts back telling me when I had gotten something right, etc.

I know on one of the days some comments were typed up on the board about Canada and not being on the leaderboards and such. Something about frozen phone lines :)

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know on one of the days some comments were typed up on the board about Canada and not being on the leaderboards and such. Something about frozen phone lines :)

sounds about right :D I figured it out when I saw the map of "who's playing" and it was just the US. Oh well, was still entertaining.

On a related note, however, the "Otters Holding Hands" video is from the Vancouver Aquarium :) Sadly, one of them died last year :'(

tr0tsky on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Other than needing another screen, my only complaint was on the internet remote game. There were only four different combinations of four videos, and the same video for each set won every time. It was getting annoying to watch the same videos (I.e. the fucking leekspin) over and over.

Other that is was fantastic

The_Reflection on
    edited September 2009
    Other than needing another screen, my only complaint was on the internet remote game. There were only four different combinations of four videos, and the same video for each set won every time. It was getting annoying to watch the same videos (I.e. the fucking leekspin) over and over.

Other that is was fantastic

I saw two different videos from two of those sets... Leeroy + Ultimate from one set of choices and 9,000 + Matrix Ping Pong from another...

Definitly saw Leekspin multiple times.

Spokane_SnowMan on
    edited September 2009
    I'll just leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wnE4vF9CQ4

Houn on
  • Fo0dNippl3Fo0dNippl3 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Get In Line Games was awesome! I won a poster from them.

Julie was here.

Fo0dNippl3 on
    sigdl.jpg
    edited September 2009
    We would love to hear what you guys thought, and offer your opinions on things that could make the experience better at http://getinlinegames.com/pax2009/pax_join.php

Also, mail us at info@getinlinegames.com with an shipping address and prize code if you won a prize you were unable to redeem at the show.

Get in Line Terminal on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I stopped playing after I found out it was 1000-6000 people entering raffle tickets to get 10-15 prizes. Loved the content itself, but didn't have the motivation because I had a netbook with internet on me. It's great when you have nothing else to do in line and would love to see it again next year.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think it was a needed solution to the "line boredom" problem a lot of people seem to have experienced last year. I was selling cookies so I wasn't "in line" per se, but I could tell that it was definitely entertaining!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    of one thing that may have needed improvement, at least with the quiz portion, is text lag.
    when 200 people send it texts, some get caught behind, and are put in as answers to the following question.

other than that everything was great.
    seriously, I tried to wake up early for the line game after the first day and I saw it :)

thespiffyneostar on
  • Uno Ill NinoUno Ill Nino Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I want to add my appreciation for GILG. It really helped pass the time I spent in line each morning, and it totally felt like the people behind it knew exactly what PAX and its attendees were all about. If they're not back next year, PAX would be a little less magical.

Uno Ill Nino on
    The Moofcast! - A videogame podcast for adults.
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Other than that damn leekspin it was alright.

parabola on
    edited September 2009
    parabola wrote: »
    Other than that damn leekspin it was alright.

Loituma.gif
    I just can't help myself. It's the PAXFlu, I'm sure.

Houn on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will end you Houn.

The_Reflection on
  • datadamagedatadamage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    better than meatspin!

datadamage on
  • Soda241Soda241 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I personally enjoyed the Get in line games greatly (and not just because I was dressed as the swedish chef :winky: )

As they said the on sunday morning, for those of you there, they need our support as PAX-goers to bring them back next yer (hopefully with a second screen). That is the point of this thread, try to raise some support to bring them back for next year.

Also, WHO IS JULIE?

Why are you so tall? I saw you a lot and MAN ARE YOU TALL o.o

Soda241 on
This discussion has been closed.