As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Intel contests for PAX

• Options
    DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    contrefait wrote: »
    I think it is more important that they identify you and not vice versa.

Yeah. The prize patrol is basically going to be anonymous, or that's the idea. But trust me, we're not gonna be stingy with the prize cards, so if you have a button and you're anywhere in my field of vision, I don't care if you've got a spoonful of ramen noodles you're wolfing down, you're getting a card.:P

Divebommah on
  • Options
    Big GuyBig Guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That camping shirt is pretty awesome!

Big Guy on
    Survivor of PAX '06 (BALL!), PAX '07 (Don't be a Dick), PAX '08 (Bad Horse), PAX '09 (H1Nerd1), PAX '10
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alright! I've got the ten DM's for shirts, thanks everyone :) As I said, these will probably be sent out the week after PAX so please be patient. ;)

Divebommah on
  • Options
    scotta2700scotta2700 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i've been looking on the showroom floor map and i can't for the life of me find where the intel booth will be. Anyone else having the same issue, or am i just crazy?

scotta2700 on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    scotta2700 wrote: »
    i've been looking on the showroom floor map and i can't for the life of me find where the intel booth will be. Anyone else having the same issue, or am i just crazy?

The intel thing will be near where bandland is on the 4th floor, I beleive :)

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    scotta2700scotta2700 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i figured intel would have it on the map but it's cool i'll definatly get there :)...thanks much

scotta2700 on
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there any potential that some PAX swag could find it's way to DuPont... DP1? I've got my mom on the look-out for PAX related things at work now. :winky:

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    scotta2700 wrote: »
    i figured intel would have it on the map but it's cool i'll definatly get there :)...thanks much

We're on the fourth floor, south lobby. My understanding is that we don't have a traditional booth since our marketing folks finagled something different/special with the PAX folks.

If you follow that Twitter account I mention on page one, one of the things you can bet I'll tweet about is where the hell we are. I'll try to be as specific as possible once I have more details.

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh by the way guys, all out of shirts! Thanks for the interest, and please ping me here if you don't get a shirt, say, within two weeks of the close of PAX.

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I got to meet Jerry and Mike today. Shook their hands and gushed like the happy little fanboy I am. Life is good -- can't wait for tomorrow to start!

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    UPDATE:

So far we've given away at least 10 Core i7 CPUs and one gaming laptop. We still have thousands and thousands of T-shirts, caps, gamer chairs, and bags to give away. Have you stopped by our booth yet? It is across from the main theater, fourth floor, south lobby.

Get an Intel "Game On" button -- they are big and blue, you can't miss them as almost everyone is wearing one today -- and get spotted by me or another prize patroller to win swag.

Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/intelgameon (@intelgameon) since we make periodic announcements of where the prize patrol will be.

PAX has been a blast so far! Met Wil Wheaton this morning and got my picture taken with him. That is one handsome man! :)

Divebommah on
  • Options
    ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I got me 4 shirts so far! Willing to trade No Camping (extra) shirt for hat or other :winky:

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ninjowned wrote: »
    I got me 4 shirts so far! Willing to trade No Camping (extra) shirt for hat or other :winky:

We've given away five more i7's and a Toshiba gaming laptop so far. Well, that an something like 12,000 t-shirts. Are the other contests at the show giving away this much free stuff? I'm too busy making everybody's day to notice :P

Divebommah on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm really trying to win one of those nice prizes. It's really tough though :)

And yes. It's totally worth the hassle.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I must have terrible luck. I've even been following the Twitter posts when I could, no dice. Hopefully with the smaller Sunday crowd I'll finally get spotted tomorrow (though tomorrow has my highest percentage of panels to go to...)

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Man, I must have terrible luck. I've even been following the Twitter posts when I could, no dice. Hopefully with the smaller Sunday crowd I'll finally get spotted tomorrow (though tomorrow has my highest percentage of panels to go to...)

OK, so here's the deal with Sunday.

1) We are going for broke. We really, really don't want to have to schlep prizes home, so the prize patrol is going out like MAD. Your best chances of getting spotted are on the fourth and sixth floors -- I wish we could go down to 3 & 4 but because there aren't any PC gamers (and Intel is focused on PC gamers) we just can't. Also, I would feel bad interrupting someone's game.

2) Prize patrol announcements will be more frequent due to #1. But THERE'S A TWIST! At some point tomorrow I'll ask people via Twitter to TELL the prize patrol where to go, and one of us will show up there. We may pick the first suggestion or the sixth or the most clever one (want to meet in the men's room? well...) but we hear you about not being able to find us, so this is the workaround.

Good luck tomorrow. And please give this thread some love here and on Twitter!

ps. We have, I think, 6-8 Core i7 Extreme's left, one Toshiba gaming laptop, tons of backpacks and gamer chairs too!

Divebommah on
  • Options
    eMDeeeMDee Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can see it now... someone'll call the prize patrol to Ruin while they're riding it.

eMDee on
    The unorthodox and the unlikely - it's what I do, it's what I'm good at.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    eMDee wrote: »
    I can see it now... someone'll call the prize patrol to Ruin while they're riding it.

6Qgjil.jpg
    "WAIT MR. PRIZE PATROL! WAIT! SAVE ME A CARD!! WAAAIIIITTTTTTT!!!" D:

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The magical one was the best (next to nvidia), but I was at a Q&A so I didn't stop near it.

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The magical one was the best (next to nvidia), but I was at a Q&A so I didn't stop near it.

I hung out by nVidia for 20 minutes for that one :) Unfortunately, that's a high traffic area, and the prize patrol could be 10 feet away without being able to see me. I have to say, I do think this is a fun game, though - following the tweets to find (and be found by) Intel. Much more fun than the number matching that certain other companies are using...

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I hung out by nVidia for 20 minutes for that one :) Unfortunately, that's a high traffic area, and the prize patrol could be 10 feet away without being able to see me. I have to say, I do think this is a fun game, though - following the tweets to find (and be found by) Intel. Much more fun than the number matching that certain other companies are using...

Someone on Twitter suggested that the prize patrollers shout while they have prize cards. We're gonna try that out tomorrow. I certainly will, not sure if my fellows will (it's up to them). Hopefully that will help.

Also...THANK YOU for your contest comment there. I wish there was a "best contest of PAX" award or something. Not because I want everyone to see how awesome we are, but because I think it will create healthy competition to bring more awesomeness as companies outdo one another.

It's so much damn fun giving stuff away!

ps. To the dude this morning (Saturday) who said "Hey, you look a lot less hung over today than yesterday!" um DUDE I didn't even do any drinking Thursday but I *DID* Friday so WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!?

Divebommah on
  • Options
    MerlinzeroMerlinzero Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought the Stardock clue was cool.... :) harder then heck to find though, i got lost trying to find the booth HAHA.

:)

Merlinzero on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought blizzard was an "element" :(

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    I thought blizzard was an "element" :(

Elemental, I was referring to Stardock's Master of Magic clone: Elemental. Sigh. Wanted to get some traffic to their booth 'cuz they are so awesome.

Clues today will be totally obvious plus you can tell me where you want me to go plus we'll be shouting who we are. We have to give away all our stuff today!

Divebommah on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I figure if I'm not gonna win any of the cool prizes, I'll at least bankrupt Intel one shirt at a time.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I <3 the pax prize patrol.

The gigantic mob at the turtle bus was pretty funny though. The announcement thing seems to be very effective for giving away cards. Maybe too effective. I would announce it after the fact( as in on location) that you are at a certain place at a certain time. I'm still hoping on scoring an i7 one way or another (tournament or prize card :P )

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This game is waaaay too much fun!

<3 the intel staffers!!

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    NeoNeo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    @IntelGameOn - way to be running an awesome contest with many winners, a bit of luck, and good user interaction via twitter. I wish nVidia's contest was run more like this.

The last time I turned in a prize card the guy next to me won an i7 Extreme, w00t for him, disappointed *arrrr* for me. Maybe another shot at it before PAX ends? /me crosses fingers and watches twitter

Neo on
    -- This space for rent --
  • Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    hahah, the person before me, and after me each won a processor! I must be a great source of good luck!

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The prize patrol dissapointed me at the end. The guy who was running at the end was unprofessional. I felt like was rude and abrupt- AKA- he was being a dick.

This is the same guy who had us sing the intel theme. So, If you want loyal fans- Please treat them like you would be treated--

also 3.2ghz is a marketing term. The actual clock speed of a I7 965 IS 3.33ghz

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The prize patrol dissapointed me at the end. The guy who was running at the end was unprofessional. I felt like was rude and abrupt- AKA- he was being a dick.

This is the same guy who had us sing the intel theme. So, If you want loyal fans- Please treat them like you would be treated--

He didn't seem like a dick to me. As for the clock speed, sounds like you are talking about the 975. Here's what Tom's Hardware said about the 965:
    Although the Core i7-965 Extreme is a 3.20 GHz processor, we decided to run 3.33 GHz in order to do a direct comparison to the Core i7-975 Extreme, which runs at 3.33 GHz by default. Since all Core i7 Extreme processors can easily be overclocked through a multiplier increase, and thanks to nice overclocking margins, this is definitely not a challenge for the processor.

Anyways, all 3 days I tried to encounter the prize patrol, even following the twitters I couldn't do it. I had horrible luck - even that singing thing, when I got the tweet my browser said it had been sent 20 seconds ago, after waiting 5 minutes at the 1Up booth, I checked again, and it updated saying that was 15 minutes ago! But finally in that very last contest, my luck changed: I was person #7! Won me a t-shirt.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    IrtehmongooseIrtehmongoose Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well I was one of the lucky few who won one of the processors on Sunday, and needless to say I was pretty stoked. A panel and a short walk later, I was on the ferry home, and still being quite pleased with my luck, I decided a little bragging might be in order. I struck up a conversation with two people next to us who were clearly headed back from PAX as well. After a bit, I asked what the coolest thing they got from PAX was. One of the two replied that he had won an Intel processor. So much for bragging.

Irtehmongoose on
  • Options
    chrisstiechrisstie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just want to say thank you to the woman handing out cards near the intel booth Sunday afternoon. Everyone around me seemed so greedy but she gave me a card and I am very thankful for my cool new intel t-shirt. Thanks intel!

chrisstie on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Aw man I'm sorry to hear that. It's been four days on the job (Thursday was setup) and we were running pretty ragged by that point. The fellow you are referring to, Tom, had come up with the idea for the pop quiz, and the execution left a LOT to be desired, including on my part when it came to picking people from that mob to answer the questions.

And, to your point about 3.2GHz...Tom is a marketer and that's what he was looking for. However, we will be more precise about what we're looking for next time.

I hope we didn't make you angry at Intel. D:

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Anyways, all 3 days I tried to encounter the prize patrol, even following the twitters I couldn't do it. I had horrible luck - even that singing thing, when I got the tweet my browser said it had been sent 20 seconds ago, after waiting 5 minutes at the 1Up booth, I checked again, and it updated saying that was 15 minutes ago! But finally in that very last contest, my luck changed: I was person #7! Won me a t-shirt.

Glad you got to win something. A lot of folks had trouble finding us, but we really were out there -- generally two of the ladies were out almost all the time Saturday and Sunday on fourth & sixth -- I was the only one actively tweeting about my location. Gotta give the non-twitter users a chance to win too :)

Divebommah on
  • Options
    NeoNeo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Divebommah wrote: »

Wow! I can't speak for the original complaint, but can I just say how impressed I am? Way to show that Intel's rep to PAX cares. This is huge for the community relationship in my book. Again, great contest.

Neo on
    -- This space for rent --
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well I was one of the lucky few who won one of the processors on Sunday, and needless to say I was pretty stoked. A panel and a short walk later, I was on the ferry home, and still being quite pleased with my luck, I decided a little bragging might be in order. I struck up a conversation with two people next to us who were clearly headed back from PAX as well. After a bit, I asked what the coolest thing they got from PAX was. One of the two replied that he had won an Intel processor. So much for bragging.

LOLOL thanks for sharing that, that's hilarious. You beat the odds just winning, then you beat 'em again actually meeting another big winner. Have you played the lottery lately?

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks everyone for making PAX super-fun for me and the Intel staffers. I'll pass on the kudos to the rest of the folks. Hopefully we'll be able to do this at PAX east or next year, again. Thanks for playing! :)

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks everyone for making PAX super-fun for me and the Intel staffers. I'll pass on the kudos to the rest of the folks. Hopefully we'll be able to do this at PAX east or next year, again. Thanks for playing! :)

No, thank you! I enjoyed the tweets and contest. Getting a card slipped into your hand and someone walked by was really cool.

Although I didn't win the processor I was one who had that 1 in 10 chance and even knowing I had a 1 in 10 chance was really cool ha ha.

Plus I still got one of each shirt, hat, and a backpack :D

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Aw man I'm sorry to hear that. It's been four days on the job (Thursday was setup) and we were running pretty ragged by that point. The fellow you are referring to, Tom, had come up with the idea for the pop quiz, and the execution left a LOT to be desired, including on my part when it came to picking people from that mob to answer the questions.

And, to your point about 3.2GHz...Tom is a marketer and that's what he was looking for. However, we will be more precise about what we're looking for next time.

No, just angry at tom. He was a bit abrupt with the intel theme as well. The rest of the crew handled it extremely well. I was impressed with it really.

Yea, It would of been a different story had he picked the I7 975 instead of the I7 965. I know the difference between the two now. Ones a Nehalem core and one is a bloomfield core. One is 3.33 ghz, One is 3.2ghz.

Newegg doesn't even carry the I7 965 anymore
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115200

Thats it. The only 2 (significant) differences there. I'm certain there were others there that thought it was the I7 975 as well because I thought that was what the contest was for. It also didn't help that I looked at one of the PC-freeplay machines and was looking at the full 8 (4 cores-2 threads per a core) and noticed the 3.33ghz there too.

I can let it rest now that I know I was at fault for not fully getting the question.

Viscountalpha on
This discussion has been closed.