As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Self-Perception

sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is largely drawing from some of the chest-thumping in the NCLB thread.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=17205

I find it interesting that lots of people in the thread think that they're really bright and try to prove it by posting their supposed GPAs and test scores ("I have a test score this high! And a GPA this low! See how your puny metrics fail to measure my AWESOME! [except for the ones I happen to do well in]"). Their self-perception is that they are very, very smart, far smarter than your average bear.

But what about the people who score higher on, say, the SATs? Does self-perception change to "This person is smarter than I am?" Or how about people who have the same SATs and a far better GPA? Does self-perception change to "We are equally smart but they're just a drone/grade hawk"?

Basically, does our self-perception (contained to the people on this forum) ever let us say "Wow, this person is a lot brighter than I am. I could and should listen to them and learn from them"?

My 2 cents: I've learned tons from people on this board and continually meet people above my intelligence and knowledge levels. It was easy to justify my own failings (I did pretty badly in some classes in college when I first started out) by blaming the system and/or others when I was in school. As I eventually realized that I wasn't the smartest person in the room anymore, I started studying much harder, not for the grade increase (I never managed to drag my GPA higher than average), but to simply learn as much as I could from the people around me. Without a decent base of knowledge, it is impossible to learn anything useful from others whose knowledge extends far beyond your own.

It humbled me to some extent (I was an insufferable shit in high school like most reasonably intelligent kids) and impressed upon me how little I knew. I don't know if it's a function of age (I think most of the people posting GPAs and SAT scores are still in high school or newly graduated), exposure, or personality. I do know that college taught me that I was smarter than most but more importantly not nearly as smart and knowledgeable as those who really count.

While it is easy to say "Well, I'm smarter than 90% of the people here", the important lesson is that you're not as smart as the other 10%. That was the largest shift in self-perception I ever encountered, measuring myself against the 10%, not the 90%.

sanstodo on

• Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    more_you_know1.jpg

Shinto on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Noone gives a shit about your SAT score unless they're trying to one-up you with how high theirs was. Once you get accepted to college, SAT scores mean jack squat.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Basically, does our self-perception (contained to the people on this forum) ever let us say "Wow, this person is a lot brighter than I am. I could and should listen to them and learn from them"?

I do appreciate what a lot of people (not going to list names) bring to this forum, but their test scores aren't a part of that.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Noone gives a shit about your SAT score unless they're trying to one-up you with how high theirs was. Once you get accepted to college, SAT scores mean jack squat.

In my state the SAT is worthless period.

Also, OP, I think you're spending too much time comparing yourself to others. I used to do the samething and I still do to a certain extent today. May I suggest you let go. It did wonders for me.

Shogun on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We're just lucky there's no test for measuring post quality, because my score would be off the charts.

Seriously though -- I assume everyone else knows something I don't, and I respect that in everyone I meet. You can feel as clever as you want, but when you don't know how to light the pilot on your heater, change the spark plugs in your car, or name some arcane art history, etc., you're just as dumb as everyone else.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    We're just lucky there's no test for measuring post quality, because my score would be off the charts.

Seriously though -- I assume everyone else knows something I don't, and I respect that in everyone I meet. You can feel as clever as you want, but when you don't know how to light the pilot on your heater, change the spark plugs in your car, or name some arcane art history, you're just as dumb as everyone else.

WITHOUT LAMPS THERE WOULDN'T BE LIGHT!

Shinto on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I figure, even if all the obnoxious tests they gave me as a kid are accurate, there's still easily between 700,000 and 7,000,000 people in the world smarter than I am, and a whole fucking lot more than that who simply know more shit, even if they aren't "smarter".

So, yeah, I love learning new shit from people, and will happily acknowledge the rare instance in which it's obvious that someone in genuinely more intelligent than I am, even if it doesn't come up very often (given my job, this is not surprising in the least)

When I'm honest with myself, I know damn well that I've yet to encounter anything I legitimately could not learn and understand and use, save simply not putting in the effort to do so.

I'm fairly certain when and if I encounter something truly beyond my comprehension, that'll be quite humbling.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

Also, OP, I think you're spending too much time comparing yourself to others. I used to do the same thing and I still do to a certain extent today. May I suggest you let go. It did wonders for me.

I was simply using that as an example of self-perception. It doesn't really speak to how I live my life.

Anyway, about the SAT thing, I was mostly looking for comments about the way it was used in the other thread. It was waved around as some sort of magic talisman denoting intelligence (the "my GPA sucks but I'm smart cuz my SAT is this HIGH!" statements).

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I figure, even if all the obnoxious tests they gave me as a kid are accurate, there's still easily between 700,000 and 7,000,000 people in the world smarter than I am, and a whole fucking lot more than that who simply know more shit, even if they aren't "smarter".

So, yeah, I love learning new shit from people, and will happily acknowledge the rare instance in which it's obvious that someone in genuinely more intelligent than I am, even if it doesn't come up very often (given my job, this is not surprising in the least)

When I'm honest with myself, I know damn well that I've yet to encounter anything I legitimately could not learn and understand and use, save simply not putting in the effort to do so.

I'm fairly certain when and if I encounter something truly beyond my comprehension, that'll be quite humbling.

I can't really comprehend high level math at all. Math was pretty easy in high school but when I got to college, I ran into my wall. Other kids understood that stuff and I sat there staring at it, going "wtf is this shit" even after I had studied it pretty intensely.

Doesn't really bother me, though. It was humbling in a way but I never cared about math that much anyway :D

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

Also, OP, I think you're spending too much time comparing yourself to others. I used to do the same thing and I still do to a certain extent today. May I suggest you let go. It did wonders for me.

I was simply using that as an example of self-perception. It doesn't really speak to how I live my life.

Anyway, about the SAT thing, I was mostly looking for comments about the way it was used in the other thread. It was waved around as some sort of magic talisman denoting intelligence (the "my GPA sucks but I'm smart cuz my SAT is this HIGH!" statements).

Your GPA is a pretty shitty way to score your intelligence as well, given how much grades can easily depend on the classes taken, temperment of the prof, etc.

Hell, I dunno if there is any really good measure of intelligence beyond the occasions when it's really obvious someone is brilliant, or a total fucking moron.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is the thread where those of us who did well on the SATs post our scores, right?

i got a 1520 guys

Zek on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The problem I find is that too often Tests and even GPA tend to mean jack shit about how smart a person is.

All it tells is how much they care or how their brain is wired to process information. The really smart person is the one who acknowledges they don't know everything, and choose to listen to others. Or at least, thats how I see it.

P.S. I are teh smrater tahn you joo all! (olol)

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    This is the thread where those of us who did well on the SATs post our scores, right?

i got a 1520 guys

not really, was commenting on why other people felt like they needed to share theirs :D

sanstodo on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think I read somewhere that 80% of High School students think they are in the top 10% of their class... I'd have to look up where, but the article was indicating that a lot of kids today seem to suffer from narcissim and over-estimate their abilities.

Frankly, there are a lot of times on this board where I feel like an idiot. That's why I come here though... to learn.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My experience has taught me that intelligence isn't something that can be easily quantified. Computers are my bitch. I make them work whether they like it or not. It's just easy. A lot of people talk about how smart I must be or whatnot to understand them, but I don't think that's it at all. I think it's just a matter of how your brain works.

For instance, I used to work as a framer. Awesome job, but I suck at it. I mean, I can cut straight and hammer a nail, but when I had to learn something new, it took me a long time to wrap my head around it. Whereas my friend, who I worked with, just understood it outright.

It's the same with cars. I will never be a mechanic, but there are mechanics out there who can make a car dance (just about) but will never understand a computer.

Whenever someone strikes me as stupid, I try to remember just how much I don't know and what the people who are experts in those things must think of me.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

i got a 1520 guys

I have to say, that's a pretty mediocre score. I mean, the maximum score is 2400. You only got a 63%!

Everyone, let us all mock Zek!

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »

i got a 1520 guys

I have to say, that's a pretty mediocre score. I mean, the maximum score is 2400. You only got a 63%!

Everyone, let us all mock Zek!

no man i'm talking about the old-school SATs

Zek on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Isn't there a study about how almost everyone believes themself to be a better than average driver, and that the roads are full of bad drivers?

Yar on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    Isn't there a study about how almost everyone believes themself to be a better than average driver, and that the roads are full of bad drivers?

I remember reading somewhere (Can't remember, so I may just be pulling this number out of my ass) that 80% of drivers believe they are an above average driver, which is a statistical impossibility.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, all the SAT measures is how good you are at taking tests. Fuck that.

Intelligence can't really be measured objectively in most cases. I mean, at the two extremes of the spectrum, it can be done (people who are really intelligent, and people who are really stupid), but for the vast majority of us who fall somewhere between the third and 99.9th percentile of intelligence, it's going to be really subjective.

I have a friend who's getting his Ph.D in Optics. He once gave a presentation to me for which I understood most of the pronouns and articles, and that was it; incredibly advanced math, talking about double-tau particles, highly complex equations, etc. I'd say the guy is way, way smarter than me. However, on the surface, he needs to pull out a calculator to work with basic fractions that I have no problem doing in my head. So, does that mean I'm smarter than him? I helped a lot of engineers/hard science majors get through accounting and business law; that stuff isn't anywhere near as hard as the stuff they were doing, but they had problems with it, whereas I pretty much breezed through it.

I think peoples' brains are just wired differently. If I'm good at analogies and Algebra II, along with taking tests, I get a good SAT score; if I'm not, I don't (okay, that changed recently, but back when I took it that was true).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How about I know I'm smart, I'm just the laziest and procrastinatingest6 fucker ever?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I judge whether a person is smart or not by seeing how quickly they can grasp new concepts. Just pure knowledge, obtained by studying a lot or reading a bunch of books is pretty meaningless to me - anybody can do that. But someone who is able to quickly understand a difficult new concept, no matter which field of study it's in - that's impressive. I've been lucky to meet a bunch of people who blew my socks off at how fast they can understand something new.

Their brains simply works faster than mine (or the vast majority of people's) in all respects.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    celery77 wrote: »

Seriously though -- I assume everyone else knows something I don't, and I respect that in everyone I meet. You can feel as clever as you want, but when you don't know how to light the pilot on your heater, change the spark plugs in your car, or name some arcane art history, etc., you're just as dumb as everyone else.

Umm, no? Just because someone is more skilled at something than I am, or has technical knowledge that I lack, does not make me "as dumb as everyone else." Knowing how to do some specific thing is not a measure of intelligence.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In my experience, every human on earth is retarded.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Spent most of your life at home so far, eh?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zoolander wrote: »
    I judge whether a person is smart or not by seeing how quickly they can grasp new concepts. Just pure knowledge, obtained by studying a lot or reading a bunch of books is pretty meaningless to me - anybody can do that. But someone who is able to quickly understand a difficult new concept, no matter which field of study it's in - that's impressive. I've been lucky to meet a bunch of people who blew my socks off at how fast they can understand something new.

Their brains simply works faster than mine (or the vast majority of people's) in all respects.
    This is something that's going to be different for everyone for everything. I can grasp a new arithmetic concept in minutes, and if it's something grammar-related, I'll probably be explaining the intricacies of it to the person who taught it to me in no time, but if it's "here's how to drive a stick shift," I'll be at it for months before it starts to sink in, and if it's something in calculus, I may never get it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    How about I know I'm smart, I'm just the laziest and procrastinatingest6 fucker ever?

I'm sorry I don't think you've met me before.

Shogun on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Actually, I was going to say he spent a lot of time in retail or food service.

Individual people are wonderful people that make life worth living, but the public at large in my store? Fucking retards.

I'm much nicer now that I don't work retail.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't put much stock in the SATS.

All the same, I think some people here are misrepresenting what the SATS are supposed to do. They're not a measure of intelligence. The only test I'm aware of (though I'm sure there are others) that claim to measure intelligence are, of course, IQ tests. IQ tests have their own slew of problems, but they're different from the SATS.

Scores on the SATS and ACT, much like GPA, class rank, and attendance, are used by colleges to determine who they accept because they're supposed to be indicative of how well you will do in college (which, of course, they would hope correlates to some degree with intelligence). I don't think the SATS and ACT have much predictive merit either, but it's wrong to say they're supposed to measure intelligence. The general idea colleges have, of course, is that people who are smart enough to do well on these tests or have high GPAs or whatever will realize that that's what colleges are looking for and so will work towards them. There are some problems with this reasoning, and plenty of smart people who end up with low scores or low GPAs, but it's okay for most colleges as long as retards aren't generally getting perfect scores on the SATS, 4.0 GPAs, and coming in first in their class ranking. And just the same, the smart people the system leaves behind aren't a huge concern to colleges so long as there are smart kids to be drawn from the top who, to them, have displayed a willingness to do the work that they'll ask of you. Again, the reasoning isn't entirely sound, but that's their general way of thinking.

It's only because there aren't cost-effective ways there are obviously better and because this system still works somewhat decently that it's still around.

Agem on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Yar wrote: »

I remember reading somewhere (Can't remember, so I may just be pulling this number out of my ass) that 80% of drivers believe they are an above average driver, which is a statistical impossibility.
    I won't say I'm the best, or even above average, but it is kind of funny, in the middle of raging at traffic, to hit a moment of calm and realize that I think everyone but me is a terrible driver.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I find it interesting that lots of people in the thread think that they're really bright and try to prove it by posting their supposed GPAs and test scores ("I have a test score this high! And a GPA this low! See how your puny metrics fail to measure my AWESOME! [except for the ones I happen to do well in]"). Their self-perception is that they are very, very smart, far smarter than your average bear.

Threads where ACT, SAT, GPA, and IQ scores are posted usually turn into dick waving contents driven by assholes. You've got some serious self esteem issues if you feel the need to brag about how good your test scores are.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I make a point never to share scores and really not even grades with people. I think a large part of the real motivation behind that is that my high school was a lot like Charles Darwin Middleschool in that once it got out that you were smart, you were marked. I mean I'm not even all that smart and most of my favorite people here seem to have way better scores than me anyway, and these kids all still marked me. It totally changed the way people treated you. I don't know if it does that elsewhere, I don't want to know. I don't want people deciding things about me as a person because I've started throwing numbers at them. I want them to listen to what I say or read what I write and base their opinions of me on that.
    Which is why I didn't mind the teachers doing similar things, because they did listen to what I said and read what I wrote.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meh. I'm something of a judgemental asshole, so I assume I'm smarter than someone I just met until shown otherwise. That typically involves having a somewhat lengthy and involved discussion about something with said person, grades and scores are generally not particularly impressive. Fuck you and your 4.5, that shit's not even possible.

People knock the SATs, and standardized tests in general, but really, someone who got a 1500 probably is smarter than someone who got an 1100.

In short, intelligence is completely subjective, and the only way to get at it is in relative terms and with a lengthy and personal relationship.

VishNub on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wasn't there a study somewhere that said CAL players were generally like 100 points higher on the SAT and 1 GPA point lower than the general populace?

VishNub on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Thank you for proving my point.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Not really. See, even if you think my remark was retarded, that's nowhere near sufficient evidence to prove a positive, universal claim. Your "point" is entirely unsupported and frankly rather a retarded claim to make. Mangling quotes from ancient philosophy and expecting people to think you're clever for it is similarly retarded.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Dr. ODr. O Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In my experience, there definitely seems to be an "Internet Sage" phenomenon, where someone will sound very intelligent and authoritative on a particular subject, but in reality said person is just a dumbass high school kid (apologies to all you non-dumbass high school kids) parroting a blog he reads, or wikipedia, or something his teacher said, or any number of other sources. Basically what I mean is that these armchair geniuses always seem smarter over the internet than they do in real life.

I happen to know that I am a very intelligent person, but I am also very aware that "the only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" (for example, I had to look up that quote to remember the exact wording ;-) ). People get cocky, especially online, and start trying to show off their test scores and beat everybody down with their (allegedly) huge brains to satisfy their egos. A far better way to go about things is to acknowledge when you aren't the expert in something, and then educate yourself in it.

Dr. O on
  • Options
    MVMosinMVMosin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

Not really. See, even if you think my remark was retarded, that's nowhere near sufficient evidence to prove a positive, universal claim. Your "point" is entirely unsupported and frankly rather a retarded claim to make. Mangling quotes from ancient philosophy and expecting people to think you're clever for it is similarly retarded.

VICTOLY!

VC, you should just pre-lime your declaratives.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    RecoillessRecoilless Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dr. O wrote: »
    In my experience, there definitely seems to be an "Internet Sage" phenomenon, where someone will sound very intelligent and authoritative on a particular subject, but in reality said person is just a dumbass high school kid (apologies to all you non-dumbass high school kids) parroting a blog he reads, or wikipedia, or something his teacher said, or any number of other sources. Basically what I mean is that these armchair geniuses always seem smarter over the internet than they do in real life.

I happen to know that I am a very intelligent person, but I am also very aware that "the only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" (for example, I had to look up that quote to remember the exact wording ;-) ). People get cocky, especially online, and start trying to show off their test scores and beat everybody down with their (allegedly) huge brains to satisfy their egos. A far better way to go about things is to acknowledge when you aren't the expert in something, and then educate yourself in it.

What you just said reminds me of the story line with the Japanese kid in World War Z by Max Brooks [?] who is able to collect massive amounts of information on the internet but cant analyze or do anything with it.

Any way a lot of the time people just parrot rather than forming their own opinions on things, but what annoys me even more are the people who don't even have opinions and just don't care.

Recoilless on
    Once a month women act the way men do all the time.
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    Dr. ODr. O Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I personally prefer the people who just don't care. At least they're honest.

Dr. O on